A story about a pathetic man's downfall [34 Felony Convictions]

Francisco 2.0

9 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Any suggestions from said reading list for us STEM guys who like to pretend we are learned?

Strange Peaches (Shrake)

Horseman Pass By (McMurtry)

All the Pretty Horses (McCarthy)

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

Most memorable I had were taught by Bump, Graham, and, the GOAT, Adams.

But I feel like I would have remembered having a Mr. Fuck in my class.  Then again . . .

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Had Graham for Life and Literature of the Southwest and WWII in Literature and Film. Talked my way into the second as I was not a Normandy Scholar. Looking around the class that was a huge fail on my part because it was full of hotties who gave zero fucks about WWII and were just looking for someone else to pay for their junket to France.

Graham was easily my favorite or second favorite professor at UT. I took Texas Lit twice because the reading list was different the second time and it had a different course number. There were some common titles so I had half the reading already done before the first class of the second go-round. I never missed a Graham class and trust me, I missed a LOT of classes. I had a couple of Journalism profs that were pretty awesome but Graham was a stud. Y'all are probably aware but he passed a couple of years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Strange Peaches (Shrake)

All great books. I liked The Last Picture Show better than All the Pretty Horses.

To this list, I'd add The Gay Place by Billy Lee Bramer. Strange Peaches is simply fantastic. I got a chance to meet Bud Shrake and Gary Cartwright at a cocktail hour while at UT. Bud signed my copy of Peaches.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Graham was easily my favorite or second favorite professor at UT. I took Texas Lit twice because the reading list was different the second time and it had a different course number. There were some common titles so I had half the reading already done before the first class of the second go-round. I never missed a Graham class and trust me, I missed a LOT of classes. I had a couple of Journalism profs that were pretty awesome but Graham was a stud. Y'all are probably aware but he passed a couple of years ago.

Graham was amazing and yes, you didn't miss that class.  But Michael Adams was my favorite.  His Modern Short Story class changed me as a reader and a writer, and he wrote the most amazing law school rec. for me.  The guy was simply an incredible teacher.  I'm now sad to report that he passed in November 2022.  Damn.  Was hoping my kid could take a class from him.  I also heard about Graham's passing a few years back.  That was a huge loss.

Edited by dcbc

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

All great books. I liked The Last Picture Show better than All the Pretty Horses.

To this list, I'd add The Gay Place by Billy Lee Bramer. Strange Peaches is simply fantastic. I got a chance to meet Bud Shrake and Gary Cartwright at a cocktail hour while at UT. Bud signed my copy of Peaches.

Strange Peaches was my favorite by a mile, and was out of print at the time.  I still have the Gay Place and need to reread it.  I remember its being good, but it was a competitive list that semester.  Bud Shrake was really something.

I remember Graham saying how much McMurtry hated All the Pretty Horses.

Edited by dcbc
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Thought about posting this in the watch thread  . . . 

image.thumb.png.60fa700cb42bc988a9fb6f9fb3174cfb.png

That watch would be better if it was of the Micky Mouse variety with Trumps tiny hands as the watch hands.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bookman said:

I think there were a couple 316Ks. This was British Lit. He specifically said we had to read Chaucer in Middle English only and I gave up on that shit after a couple hours. I felt sufficiently bad about it at the time. 

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

Given your username, ye shouldst feel bad.

94ta4k.jpg

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

3lht36ui0rpa1.jpg

I don’t need to read fiction about my lived experience

i have a raging case of PTSD when it comes to this.

post traumatic shart disorder is no laughing matter

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

Most memorable I had were taught by Bump, Graham, and, the GOAT, Adams.

I had Adams for American Lit since 1910 (subtitle was "God is dead").  Unfortunately I got on his bad side taking another student's graded paper and my own to point out the inconsistency in his grading (admittedly hers was better but not THAT much better).  Plus he gave me a B+ on an essay on mechanism in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and a B on another paper I wrote on Jesus' Son.  I spent 15 hours on the former and maybe two on the latter and I would've given myself an A+ on the former and no better than a C on the latter. 

This was in 2001, mind you.  Clearly I'm over it. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Great recs. Read Gay Place in undergrad (American Studies). Billy Lee has an interesting stories for sure.  His LBJ character is a riot and spot on.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Strange Peaches (Shrake)

I’d say dive into all three of those dudes’ catalogs and don’t look back. McCarthy is singular - won’t even comment on the impact he had on me (moreso in later life than as a student).  McMurtry, to me, is the reading equivalent of a comfortable, beloved pair of slippers. I’ve read most of his books several times and a few of them maybe a dozen (Some Can Whistle, Cadillac Jack, Anything for Billy, All My Friends are Going to Be Strangers).  His non-fiction, particularly his Hollywood stuff, is also great. Also, throw in Goodbye to a River by Graves. 

I loved professor Adams, as well. I miss the program a lot and part of me wishes I’d continued my studies into grad school (BA English ‘98). 

And, yes, I did some extensive study on Chaucer and early/middle European Lit. I fell in love with The Canterbury Tales in high school and never shook it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

McMurtry, to me, is the reading equivalent of a comfortable, beloved pair of slippers.

I agree with everything you wrote.  But I'd probably say that HPB is a less comfortable pair of slippers than a lot of his later works.  Mike Adams gave a 45 minute presentation at a UT Appellate Seminar in the early 2000s entitled "Words Like Sunbeams."  In his spare time, he proofread/edited appellate briefs for some of the bigger, Austin law firms who cared enough to pay for his services. 

My notes from that CLE a la Max Fischer:

"Best Chapel speaker ever."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, strangulation! said:

I'm sure there were multiple 316Ks. Kaulbach was awesome, albeit incredibly politically incorrect, even at that time.

Wasn’t 316K the one you could place out  with an on campus achievement test? That test was about an 8th grade level