Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

On 8/26/2024 at 7:46 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Have a buddy who owns one of these and swears it's stable enough to stand up in and claims to do so frequently.

https://www.nrs.com/nrs-pike-inflatable-fishing-kayak/p64e

I floated the San Marcos with a few people, one of which was in an inflatable kayak.  He was able to stand up and cast his fly rod - however, he was a little fella.  I'm 6'4", 245 and it will take an exceptionally stable kayak for me to stand up and cast.

Another guy was fishing from a combo paddle board / kayak thing.  He's a big guy, so no standing.  It did fine in the flat water, but he dumped right over in the rapids because he couldn't keep it pointed down hill.

Great win today, didn’t watch but will watch the replay tomorrow.

Decided to fish again tomorrow. Wasn’t planning on it but made that call after getting to the dock this evening. Late in the day we found some really good water and bait. And got this footage. Best we’ve ever had, even the drone guy was pumped up and he droned a million dollar marlin on the 4th of July. Had a few people say they can’t see our uploaded videos, so here’s YouTube. Overall 5/7 sails, 1/2 blue marlin so a little slower than it has been this summer, but enough to make us want to wake up in 6 hours and get back at it again.

Longer version

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 2:36 PM, TexasHooch said:

That's a pretty fish.  My pumpkin seed was caught on Pelican Lake in central Minnesota.  We were targeting walleye with a slip bobber and leach setup, but my fish was actually in the middle of a school of crappies.  

The record is apparently 10.25 Inches.  Mine was exactly 10.0.  I wish I would have gotten a weight cause he was fat.

I've fished Pelican Lake. Central Minnesota is generous. You can hit Fargo with a rock.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2024 at 8:41 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

So I was just informed that the river that runs through my new town will have salmon in it shortly.  I never felt the need to invest in a fly rig in Wyoming for trout but this has my attention. 

Remember that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

Preserving your catch...

I freeze in water... was always told this was to prevent freezer burn, but I have no idea of the veracity of that.

I have a vacuum sealer, should I switch to vacuum sealing? What do you do?

vacuum seal hands down.

actually your hands really don't have much to do with it at all. up, down, sideways, a little gay, manicured or not, doesn't matter but vacuum sealing does matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I have a friend that just moved to Aransas Pass so I now have a place to stay near Port A and I have been thinking about doing a little fishing down there.  Mostly surf to start but I would like to do some bay fishing eventually.  My fishing experience is limited to freshwater lakes, rivers and tanks when I was a kid so basically I don't know shit.

What basic gear do I need or don't need?  I would likely start with the more affordable gear, at least at first, to see if I want to keep it up.

13 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

So I have a friend that just moved to Aransas Pass so I now have a place to stay near Port A and I have been thinking about doing a little fishing down there.  Mostly surf to start but I would like to do some bay fishing eventually.  My fishing experience is limited to freshwater lakes, rivers and tanks when I was a kid so basically I don't know shit.

What basic gear do I need or don't need?  I would likely start with the more affordable gear, at least at first, to see if I want to keep it up.

well... It depends! 😉

There are lots of ways to fish at the coast.   You can fish bigger baits in the surf, wade fish the surf, wade fish the bays, bank fish, jetty fish, pier fish, or fish out of a boat.  

You can spend a little or you can spend a lot.  Eventually you will likely do all the above, and have a natural preference for whatever you have the most success with!  A 3000 size with braid is great for most everything except fishing around rocky or jagged structure where the line chafe will cause you to break off when you finally get a fish on.  Braid is great in that you can feel everything, and it casts a lot farther.  If you are going to use braid, you need to learn to tie on a fluorocarbon leader to have any chance at success with either live bait or lures.  I fish almost exclusively mono if I am at the pier or the jetty, as it floats, and has much more abrasion resistance.  

You are going to want a longer pole especially if you are going to do much wading.  And just for the casting distances.  On a 3000 I am going with about a 7' rod.  I would also consider looking at buying a surf rod.  We often wade fish at the beach in the morning (and either switch to surf fishing with big rods, or run our a larger bait on a surf rod while we wade.  Feverishly glancing again and again at that big rod to get ready to run back to grab it if it goes off.  I use high visibility neon colors on my larger capacity surf rods, and go with as long a pole as you are comfortable with.  Cut down some PVC for rod holders and you have half way home.

Since you are just getting started probably the one thing I will suggest is that the saltwater is corrosive, and spending a little extra money early on quality reels, will mean you will not be tossing a reel in the trash two years from now.  If you fuck up your good name brand shit you can always have them rebuild it.  So spend more now to save money later.  Quality is especially important the more you are physically in the water where the reel gets wet or even submerged.  Here is a link to a bunch of combos that are decent starters. https://www.basspro.com/l/saltwater-rod-reel-combos

Probably learning knots to connect leaders to braid, and a loop knot to your hook or lure are about as important as your equipment.  You can pick up cheap surf rods that are nearly disposable in price. So I would allocate the most money into my smallest reel.  I would also make the suggestion of looking at getting a back pack style tackle bag.  Get one with a rubber bottom for when it inevitably get wet and dirty.  If you are fishing at the coast you end up carrying a lot of shit over time, and the backpack frees up your hands.

As far as specific gear, swivels, fluorocarbon leader, 20# and 30#, circle hooks, some wide gap or kahle style hooks, slip weights, popping cork, sliding cork with bobber stoppers (best jetty fishing technique) and you are ready to rock with live bait.  Some lightweight jig heads, a couple spoons, and some swim baits start the party if you want to be more active casting.  There are shit tons of videos on everything you want to learn on youtube.

Good luck and tight lines

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

well... It depends! 😉

There are lots of ways to fish at the coast.   You can fish bigger baits in the surf, wade fish the surf, wade fish the bays, bank fish, jetty fish, pier fish, or fish out of a boat.  

You can spend a little or you can spend a lot.  Eventually you will likely do all the above, and have a natural preference for whatever you have the most success with!  A 3000 size with braid is great for most everything except fishing around rocky or jagged structure where the line chafe will cause you to break off when you finally get a fish on.  Braid is great in that you can feel everything, and it casts a lot farther.  If you are going to use braid, you need to learn to tie on a fluorocarbon leader to have any chance at success with either live bait or lures.  I fish almost exclusively mono if I am at the pier or the jetty, as it floats, and has much more abrasion resistance.  

You are going to want a longer pole especially if you are going to do much wading.  And just for the casting distances.  On a 3000 I am going with about a 7' rod.  I would also consider looking at buying a surf rod.  We often wade fish at the beach in the morning (and either switch to surf fishing with big rods, or run our a larger bait on a surf rod while we wade.  Feverishly glancing again and again at that big rod to get ready to run back to grab it if it goes off.  I use high visibility neon colors on my larger capacity surf rods, and go with as long a pole as you are comfortable with.  Cut down some PVC for rod holders and you have half way home.

Since you are just getting started probably the one thing I will suggest is that the saltwater is corrosive, and spending a little extra money early on quality reels, will mean you will not be tossing a reel in the trash two years from now.  If you fuck up your good name brand shit you can always have them rebuild it.  So spend more now to save money later.  Quality is especially important the more you are physically in the water where the reel gets wet or even submerged.  Here is a link to a bunch of combos that are decent starters. https://www.basspro.com/l/saltwater-rod-reel-combos

Probably learning knots to connect leaders to braid, and a loop knot to your hook or lure are about as important as your equipment.  You can pick up cheap surf rods that are nearly disposable in price. So I would allocate the most money into my smallest reel.  I would also make the suggestion of looking at getting a back pack style tackle bag.  Get one with a rubber bottom for when it inevitably get wet and dirty.  If you are fishing at the coast you end up carrying a lot of shit over time, and the backpack frees up your hands.

As far as specific gear, swivels, fluorocarbon leader, 20# and 30#, circle hooks, some wide gap or kahle style hooks, slip weights, popping cork, sliding cork with bobber stoppers (best jetty fishing technique) and you are ready to rock with live bait.  Some lightweight jig heads, a couple spoons, and some swim baits start the party if you want to be more active casting.  There are shit tons of videos on everything you want to learn on youtube.

Good luck and tight lines

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

This is the pussy equation I solved at 24... between Wylies, Paradise, Juan Goldsteins , Touluse, Headliners East. And I have to give some credit to the rose sales guy, dirty bookstore, and cavern 6th street hot tubs...

Then I went and got married at 25...

Edited by horn4life