Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Your wish will be fulfilled on Oct. 17.  

Thanks to @LTtxfan  for posting that Torre Becton interview. That was awesome. I am very impressed by him. 

October 17 is 2 days before October 19.

But the Becton interview's was pretty strong, indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Screenshot_20240612-185948_kindlephoto-878949.png.3f2cb5c60d08d5fd8991d550abdc2dbf.png

The backup quarterback is just one play away from taking the field as the old saying goes. For Steve Sarkisian at Texas, that play has happened in every one of his three seasons as head coach of the Longhorns.

Starting quarterback Quinn Ewers missed time in 2022 and 2023 due to injuries serious enough to sideline him for multiple games. In 2022, Hudson Card stepped in and went 2-1 as the starter in the contests Ewers missed. 2023 saw Maalik Murphy step in and win two games in Ewers’ stead. In both instances, Ewers returned to the starting role and posted a record of 9-4 in the games after his returns.

Circumstances were different in 2021, Sarkisian’s first year, when Card won the starting quarterback role out of camp but was replaced in the early stages of the season by Casey Thompson. Injury and lack of effectiveness caused Thompson and Card to rotate as starter, but that was a case of Sarkisian being forced to play QB2 in a situation he would preferred not to have done so.

Ahead of 2024, Sarkisian is planning for the best-case scenario that Ewers starts every game the Longhorns play in their first season in the Southeastern Conference. But he also made sure to prepare for adversity and ensure that back-up Arch Manning and third-stringer Trey Owens saw extensive reps during the spring should they be needed this season.

“I think that’s the reason we played them the way that we did in the spring game,” Sarkisian said at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin. “That’s why before the spring game, I met with Quinn and he knew how that was going to go. I needed Arch to get extensive playing time. I needed Trey Owens to get extensive playing time.”

For Manning, that’s in contrast to last year during the spring. Ewers was the starter as he is this year, but Murphy took the lion’s share of the second-string reps. Manning was cheered loudly for his brief appearance in last year’s spring game, and his short opportunities against Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. But those were limited because of his place on the depth chart.

With his status as the backup, and with Owens also needing seasoning ahead of potential chances, Sarkisian took a different approach.

“I know who Quinn Ewers is,” Sarkisian said. “I needed to get those guys exposed in the spring game.”

Manning was 19-for-25 for 355 yards and three touchdowns with one interception occurring on the final play of the game. Owens was 14-for-21 for 228 yards and three touchdowns of his own. Sarkisian would like for those strong outings from Manning and Owens to be precursors for opportunities in non-conference play to stand in for Ewers once the Longhorns have tilted the scoreboard in their favor.

Those chances, at least in Manning’s case, would be in preparation for succeeding Ewers in 2025 or stepping in for Texas’ QB1 in 2024 should Ewers find himself yet again on the sidelines due to injury. It’s reps Sarkisian believes his quarterbacks need in order to have a great chance at future success.

“Hopefully, we can find some opportunities early in the season where we can get Arch some valuable experience, and even Trey for that matter, just to get them comfortable playing,” Sarkisian said.  

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Screenshot_20240612-185948_kindlephoto-878949.png.3f2cb5c60d08d5fd8991d550abdc2dbf.png

The backup quarterback is just one play away from taking the field as the old saying goes. For Steve Sarkisian at Texas, that play has happened in every one of his three seasons as head coach of the Longhorns.

Starting quarterback Quinn Ewers missed time in 2022 and 2023 due to injuries serious enough to sideline him for multiple games. In 2022, Hudson Card stepped in and went 2-1 as the starter in the contests Ewers missed. 2023 saw Maalik Murphy step in and win two games in Ewers’ stead. In both instances, Ewers returned to the starting role and posted a record of 9-4 in the games after his returns.

Circumstances were different in 2021, Sarkisian’s first year, when Card won the starting quarterback role out of camp but was replaced in the early stages of the season by Casey Thompson. Injury and lack of effectiveness caused Thompson and Card to rotate as starter, but that was a case of Sarkisian being forced to play QB2 in a situation he would preferred not to have done so.

Ahead of 2024, Sarkisian is planning for the best-case scenario that Ewers starts every game the Longhorns play in their first season in the Southeastern Conference. But he also made sure to prepare for adversity and ensure that back-up Arch Manning and third-stringer Trey Owens saw extensive reps during the spring should they be needed this season.

“I think that’s the reason we played them the way that we did in the spring game,” Sarkisian said at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin. “That’s why before the spring game, I met with Quinn and he knew how that was going to go. I needed Arch to get extensive playing time. I needed Trey Owens to get extensive playing time.”

For Manning, that’s in contrast to last year during the spring. Ewers was the starter as he is this year, but Murphy took the lion’s share of the second-string reps. Manning was cheered loudly for his brief appearance in last year’s spring game, and his short opportunities against Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. But those were limited because of his place on the depth chart.

With his status as the backup, and with Owens also needing seasoning ahead of potential chances, Sarkisian took a different approach.

“I know who Quinn Ewers is,” Sarkisian said. “I needed to get those guys exposed in the spring game.”

Manning was 19-for-25 for 355 yards and three touchdowns with one interception occurring on the final play of the game. Owens was 14-for-21 for 228 yards and three touchdowns of his own. Sarkisian would like for those strong outings from Manning and Owens to be precursors for opportunities in non-conference play to stand in for Ewers once the Longhorns have tilted the scoreboard in their favor.

Those chances, at least in Manning’s case, would be in preparation for succeeding Ewers in 2025 or stepping in for Texas’ QB1 in 2024 should Ewers find himself yet again on the sidelines due to injury. It’s reps Sarkisian believes his quarterbacks need in order to have a great chance at future success.

“Hopefully, we can find some opportunities early in the season where we can get Arch some valuable experience, and even Trey for that matter, just to get them comfortable playing,” Sarkisian said.  

I think we’ve seen Ewer’s ceiling. Dude is a gamer but limited. 
Manning had great upside but telegraphs his throws. Plus, his uncles are toxic and causing Sark to ‘lose the locker room.’ He’s going to be fine as a stopgap starter until Owens can get up to speed. 
Owens has all the intangibles and should be starting by game 3, but I don’t think he can keep us in the game vs Aggy, who has the deepest QB roster and finest traditions in sports. They are winners and I am pushing for the Surly/Texags Summit, so we can learn from them what it takes to dominate the SEC. 
Cole Lourd is the answer. I see him starting by game 4 and winning the Heisman. Book it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Tom Herman's daughter is as classy as her father and twice as mensa. Making fun of Sark's loss in the playoffs by posting Tom Herman's alamo bowl trophy isn't the burn she thinks it is.

Screenshot_20240612_154808.png

More like Priyapism, amirite? 

I'll see myself out. She sucks (I bet). 

Again, I'm heading out. 

IMG_9456.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Tom Herman's daughter is as classy as her father and twice as mensa. Making fun of Sark's loss in the playoffs by posting Tom Herman's alamo bowl trophy isn't the burn she thinks it is.

Screenshot_20240612_154808.png

Now do B12 championship games…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Sark on NIL from his conversation with Joel Klatt.

This was in response to a question about Saban’s comment that with NIL, players are too interested in compensation. Nick is concerned about college football, dammit!

Nevermind that Saban was the one that made a process out of trapdooring the bottom of the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Great interview.

Sark is the real deal.

That was outstanding.  Sark talking about all the changes that they've had to navigate brings me around to this conclusion: I think he's conceptualized what is happening and the impact of that better than any other college coach. He may have some deficiencies but, in terms of grasping what's required to have an outstanding program in this new era and utilizing the tools available to him to bring about a successful outcome, I don't think there's anybody better.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Sark on NIL from his conversation with Joel Klatt.

Can anyone imagine Herman’s answer if at Texas during this time vs Sark’s….   (Maybe he’s wearing his fake diamond grill while answering then he pulls a player from the side to kiss to fake show how much he cares about the players). That was perfect from Sark.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Can anyone imagine Herman’s answer if at Texas during this time vs Sark’s….   (Maybe he’s wearing his fake diamond grill while answering). That was perfect from Sark.  

Herman would say some stupid shit then kiss Klatt on the lips goodbye

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Saw a clip from the Klatt interview discussing working for Saban and Carroll. I really like how he’s learning. I’ve always felt that the best person to hire is the one who is always learning and adjusting. I think Texas has that with this guy. Im very gruntled. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Saw a clip from the Klatt interview discussing working for Saban and Carroll. I really like how he’s learning. I’ve always felt that the best person to hire is the one who is always learning and adjusting. I think Texas has that with this guy. Im very gruntled. 

Not to mention, for a job like Texas, it really does require putting your ego aside. MackBrownTexasFootball aside, the correct mode of thinking at Texas is that the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the one on the back. Sark, by very nature, doesn't have an ego, because he's already been at rock bottom in his life. I think that humbled him and made him hungry, which is why this second part of his career is going so much better than the first. I could never see Texas having SteveSarkisianTexasFootball.com

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

OK. My posting history shows I’m all in on Sark….so….

My brother….

…..you could stand to drop about 20. Or more?

Well, he did say in the interview that the best thing about being the Texas Head Coach was he can get a table at any restaurant he wants in the city. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5