Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

Just now, TheYoungHorn said:

Bunching in and going to 12 personnel against that squad was malpractice. 

Just like it was against Alabama last year. 

Seeing Juan Davis lead iso blocks into a nice crease against their linebackers is hilarious. 

If you can't hit the post out of the tight bunch, you are just bringing extra guys into the box to stop the run and put more people closer to rushing the passer. 

Game plan was ass. It’s 1 loss so not the end of the world.

Georgia lost to Bama who has 2 losses and won by 10 at home and gave up 31 to shitty miss st, then came out and looked like the hands down best team in the country last night. I fully expect our 1 loss to propel us to get our heads out of our asses the rest of the year. 

it’s so hard to point to one area with the offense. Line play was horrid, run game never got going, all the quick passes that usually go for at least 5-7 were getting blown up for lost yardage. It was a clusterfuck. We have athletes but last night Georgia made us look slow and sark hasn’t seen that yet. This is why we joined the sec and I think last night we got a good lesson on it. 

quinn will still be qb1 but he still cannot hit a deep ball and if we can’t stretch the field then I’m not sure what to expect if we make the CFP. Teams will definitely use the ou and Georgia blueprint moving forward. Ou was taking away everything early and we struggled but they are terrrible and we got it going. If we sleep walk next week we could lose at vandy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Let’s also not forget sark drew up a beautiful trick play early that if wisner catches he probably takes it to the house as no one was around. We’re up 7-0 to start the game off and the game looks way different. Georgia wanted it more too and played like it. This felt like a RRS where ou comes in looking like they watched game film and knew our every move and we looked like we stood around and patted each other on the back from the week before. 

Overall we will be fine. All the handwringing after 1 game against probably the best team in the nation is on par for surly though. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Sark's record, so far, in BIG games at Texas:

OU: 2-2

-- No doubt, those 2 beatdown blowouts were awesome; even over very subpar OU teams. (South Carolina even smashed OU in Norman.)

-- Could be 4-0 but choked away 2 games.

Bowl Games: 0-2 

-- Lost twice to Washington, Including playoff loss in a totally winnable game. 

Big 12 title game: 1-0 

-- Great win against Gundy

Bama: 1-1

-- Sark's best win at UT was in Tuscaloosa 2023

-- Let late lead slip away in 2022 at DKR.

Michigan: 1-0

-- Great win over, what is clearly a very subpar Wolverine team (already with 3 losses).

Georgia: 0-1  

-- Totally out-classed at DKR on national TV with Game Day there (One TD drive of 55 yards, one 9 yards)

TCU 2022: 0-1

-- TCU was unbeaten, ranked #4, night game, national TV, DKR ready to rock, and offense put up 3 points.

-- Just like last night, terrible offensive performance.

In the two biggest night games at DKR since Mack era, Sark has been completely out-coached by Kirby Smart and Sonny fucking Dykes. Putting up a total of 18 points. 

Total in Big Games: 5-7

Time will tell if Sark can win all the big games in a single season.

Or at at least lose only one and win out in the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Not sure his love affair with Quinn. The guy has coached elite talent. He has to see there is a mental lapse with QE at QB at times like last night. And they should be addressed as soon as it starts (Arch should have been put in earlier). I’ve seen it before. Others on here have also. He’s coaching him every day. He’s got to see it.

The mental game is the difference between winning it all and not. Between starting every Sunday in the NFL or watching from the sideline.

We saw brain farts from Sark and QE tonight that we cannot have happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not sure arch was ready for that either. He would have run way too much. Quinn will be qb1 against vandy for sure. Last night it didn’t matter, we weren’t prepared and it showed. End of discussion move on to the next like Georgia did after getting manhandled by Bama for most of the game and their comeback was way too late. We will learn and grow. If we looked like this against vandy or miss st I would be way more worried.

• Hook 'Em 6

27 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Not sure his love affair with Quinn. The guy has coached elite talent. He has to see there is a mental lapse with QE at QB at times like last night. And they should be addressed as soon as it starts (Arch should have been put in earlier). I’ve seen it before. Others on here have also. He’s coaching him every day. He’s got to see it.

The mental game is the difference between winning it all and not. Between starting every Sunday in the NFL or watching from the sideline.

We saw brain farts from Sark and QE tonight that we cannot have happen.

I am relatively certain Sark is as baffled by Quinn Ewers as the rest of us.  

I tend to think he really believes in his players and what they can do and when they don't live up to it, rather than bench them, he gives them more that they should succeed with, hoping they snap out of it and execute at the level he believes they are capable of doing.

I imagine Ewers is quite a practice warrior, because serious contact is off the table and I am pretty sure now that he is officially contact-shy.

The plan all along was to slowly develop Arch until he is fully functional with the playbook and not to rush him into game situations until that time, unless absolutely necessary.  So that means he's not quite considered ready, despite the advantages over Ewers, real or perceived.

So, it's not bloody-minded stubbornness, per se, although it appears that way.  There's a method to the madness, for better or worse.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

As an addendum to my post above, here is a point of comparison on BIG Games with 3 best UT coaches so far. 

Note: These do not include all ranked teams played against. Just what were the BIG games: bowls, rivals, big name teams, titles on the line. 

DKR
OU:  12-7-1
A&M: 17-3
Arky: 15-5
-- a combined 44-15-1 against these three rivals!
USC: 0-2
UCLA: 2-0
Bama: 2-0-1
Bowls: 8-7-1
Title Games: 2-1 (lost to Irish in 1971 Cotton Bowl, but already had UPI title at end of season)
3 National Titles
TOTAL: 58-25-3

MACK
OU: 7-9
A&M: 10-4
Arky: 0-1
Huskers: 8-1
Tech/Leach (when ranked): 3-1
Bowls: 10-5
Big 12 Title: 2-2
1 National Title
TOTAL: 40-23

AKERS
OU 5-4-1
A&M: 5-5
Arky: 7-2
Penn State: 1-0
Auburn: 2-0
Bowls: 2-7
TOTAL: 22-15-1

SARK
Bowls: 0-2 (including playoff)
Big 12 Title 1-0
Bama 1-1
Michigan 1-0
Georgia 0-1
TCU (ranked #4 unbeaten): 0-1
TOTAL 5-7

HERMAN add-on for the lulz!
OU: 1-4
Big 12 title: 0-1
USC 1-1
Bowls: 4-0
TOTAL: 5-6
Edited by BevoAbyss

Ive said it for the past 3 weeks that his script is completely predictable. All 3 SEC games, 1st 6 drives, he has passed on first down 5 of the 6 times and run the ball on second down 5 of the 6 times. 

we have been behind the sticks on 2nd and 3rd down more these past 3 games than I can remember with Sark. 

He completely abandoned the run in the first quarter, which just made georgia tee off on us more, knowing there is zero run threat. Running wisner wide (love him but hes not an outside/wide runner… too slow) again and again was dumb. 

I like Juan Davis but damn he shouldnt have been in a single snap last night

Two things lastly that ive said all year (and with QE, since we recruited him):

1) we havent played anyone all year and our 1st half of the season was fools gold. That came to bear last night

2) I said it when he was recruited, QE is a rich mans garrett gilbert that is way to inconsistent to be starting for the number 1 team in college football. There is no “big game quinn”…. Not sure where that comes from. Dude is 1-6 against top 5 teams in his time at Texas. He throws a lot of INTs and his career stats now are identical to Sam Ehlingers

Legit might as well start Arch and keep his development going. Quinn has peaked

• Hook 'Em 2

I think Sark knows the tools Quinn has and rightfully wants to use them this season because he knows it's Quinn's last on the 40 acres. He can't control whatever is going on in Quinn's head. The game plan wasn't bad yesterday. We should have scored on the flea flicker. Quinn shouldn't have melted under pressure, made the bad throws, suddenly developed the athleticism and scrambling ability of Ben Roethlisberger, etc.

The O-line was faced with probably the best group of athletes they'll see all season and looked pushed around more often than not, but also showed they could do some pushing of their own. The Georgia D had the advantage because they were dealing with a QB who clearly was broken mentally and possibly physically, and they were able to pin their ears back and become one dimensional. Just a little bit of elusiveness would have gone a long way yesterday.

Sark knows that Arch has the tools to run his offense to it's full potential but is betting on Quinn's veteran experience to be the difference maker, but that bet isn't paying off.

The final stretch leading up to Aggy is a perfect proving ground for a QB who's lost his groove and is going to get it back, or a QB who's trying to show that he's learned the ropes and is ready for the big stage. It's definitely a hard choice for Sark to make.

• Hook 'Em 4

Their DLine dominated. Our offense is not as bad as we looked. D played great, all things considered. Bad night but can't let that beat us twice.

All we have to do is win out, very doable. UGA fucked themselves with a bad first half against Bama and lost too, it happens (yes, UGA recovered way better than we did).

9 hours ago, TheYoungHorn said:

If you can't hit the post out of the tight bunch, you are just bringing extra guys into the box to stop the run and put more people closer to rushing the passer. 

There was one (of many) egregious errors on 3rd down where the slot WR ran a post and UGa brought pressure.   If the slot run a short cross the middle of the field was wide open for an easy 1st down and more.   That happened several times during the game.  Short 5-7 yard routes were should have been hot and taken for the easy gain.   Instead, Quinn and Sark are constantly trying to set up the bomb.

When they executed our only trick play so much better than us, I didn't know whether or not to laugh or cry. We have tried this play (with little wrikles) in two back to back games and we still didn't know how to execute it. Quinn, of course, immediately went for the check down, as he is too scared to throw a deep ball these days. For all the reps Sark gets as an offensive playcalling genius, he hasn't designed many successful trick plays at Texas.

So far, after 3.5 seasons can we dispense with two notions?

1. Sark is some kind of all-time play-designing, play-calling genius. He's not. At least not more than 50% chance in BIG games.

-- No doubt, Sark delivered v. Bama in 2023 and deserves the credit. 

-- But, as of now, his 5-6 record is below 50% in big games, and that includes 3 BIG wins on over bad OU and Michigan teams. Otherwise, he is 2-6 in BIG games v. good teams.

-- In the 2023 playoff, had 4 shots v Washington inside 20 in final seconds, did not come close to scoring. In two bowl games v Washington, Sark has never even had the lead. 

-- He is likely to get outclassed ... as out-coach and our-scheme the other coach. Kirby Smart and Sonny fucking Dykes schooled him on national TV. Kalen Deboer beat him twice and never trailed.

-- Put up a laughable 18 points combined in the two biggest DKR night games (TCU, Georgia) since Mack era. And one TD came on 9-yard drive!

-- And if QE can't deliver on his genius play designs, then it is Sark's responsibility to give Arch a shot. 

2. QE is some kind of nut-dragging "big game" QB. He's not.

-- He delivered v. Bama in 2023. No doubt deserves credit for huge win.

-- He won big over 1 bad Michigan team with no Harbaugh, 2 wins over terrible OU teams (as bad as the Blake era)

-- Terrible v. TCU in 2022, Georgia last night.

-- Could not come close to scoring v Washington with 4 shots from inside red zone. 

-- Way too inconsistent, so far, to win enough BIG games to win a title.

Bottom line: If Sark and QE are "on," then UT has great chance to win BIG games. If not, then little chance. 

Right now, that's a less than  50% proposition.  

Can Sark + QE win enough BIG games to win the title? Will Arch help do it?

Time will tell....

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 3

After watching the Sark interview with Pat McAfee I told my wife that Sark looked too relaxed and he either knew exactly how they were going beat Georgia or that he was not dialed in the way this game required. He had looked dialed in all year so I decided to think Sark had it in the bag and could relax. Well it did not look that way last night.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

There was one (of many) egregious errors on 3rd down where the slot WR ran a post and UGa brought pressure.   If the slot run a short cross the middle of the field was wide open for an easy 1st down and more.   That happened several times during the game.  Short 5-7 yard routes were should have been hot and taken for the easy gain.   Instead, Quinn and Sark are constantly trying to set up the bomb.

Yeah, it's odd that we consistently ran the same post based concepts and didn't address to open grass/the sticks on third down all night. 

The in/deep drag was consistently open but it is 15+ upfield, a hard throw, near impossible when you can't step up into the pocket.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

-- No doubt, those 2 beatdown blowouts were awesome; even over very subpar OU teams. (South Carolina even smashed OU in Norman.)

-- Great win over, what is clearly a very subpar Wolverine team (already with 3 losses).

-- Totally out-classed at DKR on national TV with Game Day there (One TD drive of 55 yards, one 9 yards)

-- TCU was unbeaten, ranked #4, night game, national TV, DKR ready to rock, and offense put up 3 points.

In the two biggest night games at DKR since Mack era, Sark has been completely out-coached by Kirby Smart and Sonny fucking Dykes. Putting up a total of 18 points. 

Agree on Bama being a huge win but they were also just breaking Milroe in 

This is all fair, but it has to be pointed out that a lot of those results were before he'd finished building his own roster.

We were 2-2 in big games last year and we're 2-1 so far this year.  

Also, we now live in a world where 10-2 gets you into the playoff.  We are 18-3 over last season and this one.  Winning the ones you're supposed to win matters, too.

Everything is trending the right direction, last night notwithstanding.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

So far, after 3.5 seasons can we dispense with two notions?

1. Sark is some kind of all-time play-designing, play-calling genius. He's not. At least not more than 50% chance in BIG games.

-- No doubt, Sark delivered v. Bama in 2023 and deserves the credit. 

-- But, as of now, his 5-6 record is below 50% in big games, and that includes 3 BIG wins on over bad OU and Michigan teams. Otherwise, he is 2-6 in BIG games v. good teams.

-- In the 2023 playoff, had 4 shots v Washington inside 20 in final seconds, did not come close to scoring. In two bowl games v Washington, Sark has never even had the lead. 

-- He is likely to get outclassed ... as out-coach and our-scheme the other coach. Kirby Smart and Sonny fucking Dykes schooled him on national TV. Kalen Deboer beat him twice and never trailed.

-- Put up a laughable 18 points combined in the two biggest DKR night games (TCU, Georgia) since Mack era. And one TD came on 9-yard drive!

-- And if QE can't deliver on his genius play designs, then it is Sark's responsibility to give Arch a shot. 

2. QE is some kind of nut-dragging "big game" QB. He's not.

-- He delivered v. Bama in 2023. No doubt deserves credit for huge win.

-- He won big over 1 bad Michigan team with no Harbaugh, 2 wins over terrible OU teams (as bad as the Blake era)

-- Terrible v. TCU in 2022, Georgia last night.

-- Could not come close to scoring v Washington with 4 shots from inside red zone. 

-- Way too inconsistent, so far, to win enough BIG games to win a title.

Bottom line: If Sark and QE are "on," then UT has great chance to win BIG games. If not, then little chance. 

Right now, that's a less than  50% proposition.  

Can Sark + QE win enough BIG games to win the title? Will Arch help do it?

Time will tell....

Pretty much how I feel. I was critical of Sark the first 2 seasons, but he won me over last year. That said, he's been outcoached several times already in big games. And the more time both teams have to prepare, the less confidence I have. Great program/culture builder, subpar/average game planner. He's the bizaro Herman. Maybe Sark can bring him in as an analyst when he gets fired from FAU.

Edited by TXpride
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I'm just completely befuddled that Sark has done a good job building a roster and a culture (compared to where it was) and yet his offensive gameplans tend to suck way too often in big games. I thought it would be the other way around.

Goes back to old adage maybe he should have hired an OC 

As an addendum to my post above, here is a point of comparison on BIG Games with 3 best UT coaches so far. 

Note: These do not include all ranked teams played against. Just what were the BIG games: bowls, rivals, big name teams, titles on the line. 

DKR
OU:  12-7-1
Title Games: 2-1 (lost to Irish in 1971 Cotton Bowl, but already had UPI title at end of season)
3 National Titles

MACK
1 National Title

AKERS
OU 5-4-1

SARK
Big 12 Title 1-0
Bama 1-1
Michigan 1-0
Georgia 0-1
TOTAL 5-7

HERMAN add-on for the lulz!
USC 1-1

bevoabyss plaintext

Spoiler

Full Members

Posted 5 hours ago (edited)

DKR
OU:  12-7-1
3 National Titles

MACK
1 National Title

AKERS
OU 5-4-1

SARK
Big 12 Title 1-0
Bama 1-1
Michigan 1-0
Georgia 0-1
TOTAL 5-7

HERMAN add-on for the lulz!
USC 1-1
Edited 5 hours ago by BevoAbyss

• Hook 'Em 1

In the first half, QB play was bad and it just seemed Sark was out-coached and wasn't ready for Georgia's aggressiveness. Maybe they all believed the hype, I had thought they wouldn't fall into that trap. But second half, the defense settled down, but QB troubles continued.

I keep thinking about how Sark is going to handle the QB dilemma now. I think Quinn came back too early and still might be injured, definitely mentally he isn't there. But he was also coming back and playing for an outside chance at Heisman. That dream is gone now. And Quinn also wants to get drafted high and his stock has fallen. If we keep Quinn in to help his stock and because he has earned his time, we risk losing more games. But if we put Arch in and he isn't ready and gets beat down... then that is also a bad look for Texas and for Arch, and I don't think the Manning Team would want that. It's going to be tricky.

I still believe in Sark, we can still reach our goals this year. Coming into it, I figured we would lose at least 1 of either OU, Georgia, or Aggy... but certainly didn't expect it would be the QB play having such a big impact.

Fuck it... I need another drink. #HookEm!

On offense we seemed really shocked that Georgia had the speed to run with us to the edges on those quasi-running sideline passes.  They were all over the checkdowns and their game plan was super solid: 1) Ignore the deep ball because QE can't or won't throw it (I think we tried, what 2 last night?), 2) let the D-line take care of the up-the-middle runs, which we rarely try and that leaves 3) deploy the safeties and LB who don't need to care abut the middle run or deep shot to smother the TE and swing passes, which is basically all that is left since we so rarely try slants.

Let’s get something straight about Jawja.

That same amazing defense got shredded by miss st for 31 points and shredded by 2 loss bama.

That game was a perfect game for the bulldogs. They prepared perfect all week, they played at a perfect intensity level they have played at all season(and if they had they wouldn’t have lost to Bama and beat miss st 77-0), the executed perfect literall for 4 qtrs on defense. 

anyone that thinks we’re a two td worse team while miss st is only a 10 point worse team is a moron. I’d love a rematch and we might get it as long as we don’t have our heads up our asses again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

Your overall point stands, but calling the 2022 Alamo bowl where 3 of our best players opted out a “big game” is a stretch.

Especially now with the expanded playoff, no one is going to give two shits about non-CFP bowl games.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am relatively certain Sark is as baffled by Quinn Ewers as the rest of us.  

I tend to think he really believes in his players and what they can do and when they don't live up to it, rather than bench them, he gives them more that they should succeed with, hoping they snap out of it and execute at the level he believes they are capable of doing.

I imagine Ewers is quite a practice warrior, because serious contact is off the table and I am pretty sure now that he is officially contact-shy.

The plan all along was to slowly develop Arch until he is fully functional with the playbook and not to rush him into game situations until that time, unless absolutely necessary.  So that means he's not quite considered ready, despite the advantages over Ewers, real or perceived.

So, it's not bloody-minded stubbornness, per se, although it appears that way.  There's a method to the madness, for better or worse.

I think Quinn is playing hurt.  This is a post from a friend on Facebook.  Granted he’s a 55 year old vs Quinn who is 20 or 21.  But he’s a former pole vaulter at Southwest Texas in the late 80’s  and placed at state back in high school and still has kept in good physical shape since then   Some interesting perspective. 

Before any of my UT fans give up on Quin Ewers after last nights loss to Georgia let me add some light and personal reflection to this kids situation.

If youve never had an abdominal oblique pull, strain or tear let me tell you from personal experience that injury sucks. I play competitve Club level tennis and I pulled mine early in 2023. When it happened I was on court and thought I was having a heart attack, so much so that I considered allowing my hitting partner to call ems. Its no joke. I looked it up online and its listed as one of the most initially painful sports injuries possible. After 15 minutes it subsided to reasonable but it took me months to trust that it was healed. 

I know by watching him play hes still concerned about that injury. He used to not hesitate to pull the ball down and run for easy yardage, stick his head down and pick up tough yards. He still not 100% even if its mental.

Kids a great QB and ya I get it start the other guy but Quin shouldn't be crucified.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not even mad. This is why you keep stacking talent. Georgia didn't just magically get to beat the shit out of us overnight. It takes class after class after class and so on. You gotta keep adding more and more pieces and coaching them up. We'll get our chances to actually dominate in time. Kirby didn't just come in and start fucking people up. It took him 6 years to win a NC, and 2 years to make the playoffs. Sark is pretty much on that same trajectory if he keeps stacking talent. 

We aren't aggy. We can actually develop talent and actually win over time. Those morons constantly punch themselves in their vaginas. 12 years and nothing. It doesn't matter where you play, if you can't do shit in 12 years before big brother gets there, then it's a YOU problem. If they make the playoffs this year it's because they literally had to change the playoffs format to let teams like them have a chance. They're closer to NC St than they are to us, UGA, Bama, etc. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1