Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

On 2/25/2022 at 11:00 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

The best part of the encyclopeida was the human body pages that were clear and had different images so you could flip them over to add muscles, veins, etc.....

spacer.png

Those were cool. I can’t remember which museum in Chicago it was, either the Field Museum or the Museum of Science and Industry, probably the former, but they had human corpses sliced into thin strips and enclosed between panes of glass so you could see the same thing for real. Very interesting but kind of creepy.

When I was about 6 or 7 years old I used to dare myself to touch the closeup pictures of big hairy spiders in the World Book. 

Freakin Achilles tendon. All set for a good run in Cowtown marathon today. Feeling great overall, strong and light. But my Achilles has been nagging me for a couple of months. I ran the little 5k warmup yesterday and the Achilles flared up last night. Got out to he starting line today and knew it was really jacked. Ran 1/2 mile and then just walked off the course. Only my second DNF. 

So now institutions are getting lazy and making you go look up and print out your 1099s. Well fine, I got a couple of bank ones myself but this one out of Canada didn't send their 1099 and I don't know how to get into their shit to even look for it. So fuck you Manulife, I did my taxes without your 10 or 15 dollars earnings after paying Canadian tax. I wanted to get my taxes out of the way so I ain't waiting on your lazy asses to send it in March.

This is my second year Turbo taxing after years of CPA use so I guess I'm gonna get audited for fucking things up even though they are minor dip shitty things. Fuck you assholes that make this whole process harder than it needs to be. 

• Rage+1 2

On 2/24/2022 at 11:14 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Which genius at Microsoft decided to make Cut (control-c) and Paste (Control-v) be adjoining keys can fuck right off. Can't tell you the number of times I've reached for the "v" and accidentally hit the "c".

Fuck you Bill Gates.

Cut is ctrl - x.  Copy is ctrl - c.  Maybe that's the problem?

• Hook 'Em 1

People who dont know how, or cant be bothered, to look up primary source. For any topic.

In 2022 you seriously have 5000 years of written history available at your fingertips. Its never been easier. 

“The Geneva convention says you can do xxx and yyy”

”Oh yeah, where?”

*Sends link to blog/huffpo article/facebook screenshot*

25 years ago you’d have to scoot your ass to the library and spend an hour looking this up. Now you can access every word of those documents in 4 seconds. Dont be a dumbass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, 52-80 said:

increasing order of dumb and annoying kitchen fads in europe:

angled-vents

Kitchen Exhaust Hood 800mm Household Range Hood Stainless Steel Smoke Exhaust  Side suction Kitchen Hood Ventilator|Range Hoods| - AliExpress

pop-up side vents

10 Easy Pieces: Downdraft Range Vents - Remodelista

and worst:  bottom vents

Airone Chopin and Bach downdraft extractors

The pop-up vent is not new, and maybe not of Euro origin.
We recently bought and renovated a 1982 lake house in ETX. The kitchen had a Jennair cooktop in the kitchen island that had a pop-up vent like the one above. Seems like a decent idea because you don’t have the big range hood in the middle of the kitchen. 
Well, it’s a terrible idea. The vent went into a conduit under the kitchen floor, venting out into the flower garden outside the kitchen. Over time, that became a nice superhighway for critters to come in, nest in the island’s nooks and crannies, and colonize the rest of the house. When we tore that island out during the renovation, it was a mess of mice/rats nests, and there were several others in the recesses of the other kitchen cabinets. 
We built a bigger island, put in a new propane cooktop, and a proper overhead range hood. No more critters. 

Certain people in my company who use the word “human” instead of saying “person” like a normal person.

I was in a meeting where the project manager said blah blah human blah blah. I told her that if we’re going to be working together for the next 10 months, then it needs to stop right now.

It stopped the room for a little bit, but she said person instead of human for the rest of the meeting.

Yes I’m old and crotchety, and very likely not up to date with the latest PC, gender neutral, LBGTQ language, but the whole “human” thing needs to be nipped in the bud. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Tell me about the Seattle Team while not telling me it's the Seattle Team.

It wasn't the Seattle team. But fuck them anyway.

I like my counterpart in Seattle and one of the guys who works for them.

But the rest of them can go pound sand.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

16 hours ago, Superhero said:

Certain people in my company who use the word “human” instead of saying “person” like a normal person.

I was in a meeting where the project manager said blah blah human blah blah. I told her that if we’re going to be working together for the next 10 months, then it needs to stop right now.

It stopped the room for a little bit, but she said person instead of human for the rest of the meeting.

Yes I’m old and crotchety, and very likely not up to date with the latest PC, gender neutral, LBGTQ language, but the whole “human” thing needs to be nipped in the bud. 

CSB A few years back, we were subs to one of the Big 6 (that's how long ago it was) and their female PM objected to us using phrases like man or men in the documentation.  Neither could we use woman or women, because those words have man or men in them.  I almost took her seriously until she said we couldn't use person either, because there is 'son' in person and that's masculine.  Then I just ignored her.

18 hours ago, Superhero said:

had a meeting today and counterpart said he wanted to implement safety board where each site would keep track of their accident/ injury free days.

I said that process doesn't drive safety culture, but rather encourages folks to not report safety incidents.

Dead silence in the room.

Fuck it.  Y'all know why the fuck y'all favor that shit, and it's wrong.

41 minutes ago, slorch said:

safety board where each site would keep track of their accident/ injury free days.

I said that process doesn't drive safety culture, but rather encourages folks to not report safety incidents.

So true, and it's legally mandated to display in Thailand for mfg and construction sites. It's awful.

Thailand construction "safety" just last month - this may be one of the highest profile construction sites currently operating in the city.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/3-workers-killed-in-structure-collapse-at-one-bangkok-construction-site

3 dead 4 injured. Accident was not reported until the next day when people started asking where the missing people were.

Not publicized on any mainstream news. The official report will find no fault, because the construction companies are always partially owned by powerful politicians.

CSB A few years back, we were subs to one of the Big 6 (that's how long ago it was) and their female PM objected to us using phrases like man or men in the documentation.  Neither could we use woman or women, because those words have man or men in them.  I almost took her seriously until she said we couldn't use person either, because there is 'son' in person and that's masculine.  Then I just ignored her.

I see she doesn’t donate to the Human Fund.
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

that theres no good ad-block browser solution on mobile...unless you use some 3rd party fake browser

The DuckDuckGo mobile browser works pretty well. But some sites won’t let you browse using anonymous browsers or incognito mode (YouTube, for example). 

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

When I am watching some good show on tv and they are talking a frito pie, but because they can’t say frito pie, they say corn chip pie…goddamn that just annoys the fuck out of me. Frito pie you fucking fucks.

I’ve never heard that but I’ve heard chili pie. 

Several weeks ago I get a call from AT&T offering me a new phone to replace my 3G phone. I explain to them I have a 4G LTE phone and they say no worries, everything will be alright. They kill 3G and my phone dies, "Oh, you mean your specific phone not bought through AT&T? Yeah, that's shit." So I order a new free Samsung through AT&T online... Yeah that will ship sometime in the next 45 days. Believe it or not, I can't fucking wait 45 days for a functional phone so I drive 30 miles to the closest AT&T store and sur-fucking-prize they have the exact phone I had to wait 45 days for online.

10 hours ago, RPM said:

Several weeks ago I get a call from AT&T offering me a new phone to replace my 3G phone. I explain to them I have a 4G LTE phone and they say no worries, everything will be alright. They kill 3G and my phone dies, "Oh, you mean your specific phone not bought through AT&T? Yeah, that's shit." So I order a new free Samsung through AT&T online... Yeah that will ship sometime in the next 45 days. Believe it or not, I can't fucking wait 45 days for a functional phone so I drive 30 miles to the closest AT&T store and sur-fucking-prize they have the exact phone I had to wait 45 days for online.

AT&T stores are fuckin weird. Last time I was at one they asked for my ID and then wanted me to pay $50 today and the rest of the balance of the phone a week later. Told them I wasn't going to show ID for a phone and they wouldn't let me pay full price for it. Well fuck it, went to Best Buy across the street and got the phone with no problem.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:35 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Now let me explain HIPPA laws to you!

hipaa too!

On 3/5/2022 at 8:34 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

When I am watching some good show on tv and they are talking a frito pie, but because they can’t say frito pie, they say corn chip pie…goddamn that just annoys the fuck out of me. Frito pie you fucking fucks.

"walking taco"

Rage+1

Walking tacos aren't Frito pies.  They are two completely separate things.

A walking taco is a bag of Doritos with appropriately seasoned protein, lettuce, salsa, cheese, sour cream, whatever the fuck you want all ground together and eaten with a fork.  There's no chili involved, and you don't use Fritos.