Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

No Fiestas in Lubbock?

I was joking, but no there are no Fiestas in Lubbock.  United has "Amigos" but it ain't the same.

16 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Waitress brought the dinner check.

989a99580a1823138c31f102365da616.jpg

Dropped my card.

“I’m sorry sir, we don’t take American Express.”

16668b437547452dba0379cf2dc83666.gif

Kudos to them though for calculating the tip on the pre-tax amount.  Makes me surly when they calculate on post-tax amount, which fits this thread.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, elfenix said:

between tax and tip you're looking at an additional 25-35% added to whatever the menu price is.  fucking ridiculous setup we've gotten ourselves into. 

If you were concerned with value, you would have eaten at home...

#spiritofsurly

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

smdh inflation has even hit the minimum tipping guidelines

Still pretty easy to calculate 10% in my head. Fuck this creep in tip percentages for basic service.

But that is sleazy as hell to provide 18/20/25 and not 15/20/25.

• Hook 'Em 1

Today, my wife and I stopped by a little no-name drive through place for a dessert. I paid with a credit card, and the snot-nosed kid stuck the card reader out the window so I could “finish the transaction” by selecting a tip. I chose the lowest percentage just to ensure the snot stayed in his nose and not on my food.

I guess this isn’t that much different than a tip jar at a walk-up counter, but these kids are making well above minimum wage instead of the low base wage that servers traditionally get. I’m a good white guy tipper in those latter circumstances, usually 25% on the total bill after tax (or higher if I just have water to drink).

19 hours ago, Okie State said:

The creeping up of minimum tip suggestions over the years is bullshit. Menu prices are out of control already so let's ask for a higher percentage of a higher base. How about fuck you?

For to go orders, counter orders, I agree.  But I've gotten to where my standard waiter/bartender tip is 30-35%.   Their base pay is still $2/hr. and they have to pay more for everything else, too. 

43 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This guy just send me an email wanting to discuss our safety program. Here's his email signature:

(name) CSP,ASP,CESCO,CESCP,REP,CFEI,CFI-II

Did he fall asleep with his finger on the key board when he was creating his email signature?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nnm said:

It’s not Roy that looks like a dumbass on that page. 

well Jason is a Rhodes Scholar -- he studied at Rhodes College

he also received graduate degrees from colleges that literally don't have matriculation/admission requirements, are unaccredited, and issued 6 "doctorates" before shutting down the program.

image.thumb.png.1aa5fa6691f8f95e3160805e154c8eb6.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This guy just send me an email wanting to discuss our safety program. Here's his email signature:

Credentials in signature blocks are bullshit. The following are acceptable in professional account blocks:

1. Must be directly relevant to your role.  A professor with “PhD”— fine.  PhD if you’re an administrator somewhere— fuck off.

2. Must be recognizable to a layperson. PhD, M.D., etc. 

If you sign personal emails with credentials or titles you’re really just a bit too precious.  

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I got chewed out when I tacked HMFIC onto my signature line as a joke on an internal email that I thought would not go further than the two co-workers with whom I was corresponding.  One of them forwarded it to our boss who, being retired Army, fully understood it.  He found it entertaining, but not enough to cut me a break.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I got chewed out when I tacked HMFIC onto my signature line as a joke on an internal email that I thought would not go further than the two co-workers with whom I was corresponding.  One of them forwarded it to our boss who, being retired Army, fully understood it.  He found it entertaining, but not enough to cut me a break.

Sounds FUBAR

• Hook 'Em 2

Just left a construction contracts seminar.  Of course, there were 2 knuckle draggers in attendance that would not shut up while the speaker was making his presentation.   They just kept on with their conversation the entire time stopping only to ask puffed up and ridiculous questions.

Blah blah blah to themselves and then a raised hand followed by “so, if we have to give notice by a certain time what happens if it’s a Leap Year February 29th and we are right on the international date line in a bathysphere on the bottom of the ocean and we don’t have cell service and there’s no way to surface because there is a typhoon crossing the ocean’s surface?  What do we do then?  I ask because I had a friend that……”

Rage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Just left a construction contracts seminar.  Of course, there were 2 knuckle draggers in attendance that would not shut up while the speaker was making his presentation.   They just kept on with their conversation the entire time stopping only to ask puffed up and ridiculous questions.

Blah blah blah to themselves and then a raised hand followed by “so, if we have to give notice by a certain time what happens if it’s a Leap Year February 29th and we are right on the international date line in a bathysphere on the bottom of the ocean and we don’t have cell service and there’s no way to surface because there is a typhoon crossing the ocean’s surface?  What do we do then?  I ask because I had a friend that……”

Rage. 

Aggy?

Went to the bathroom here at the office, headed into the big stall to find that someone had a bout of explosive diarrhea and decided not to flush. I hope that motherfucker dies from dehydration or whatever else they got going on. There's no excuse for leaving that for the next person to discover. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Anyone who posts on social media with a warning similar to "opinions are my own, they do not represent that of my employer, I only speak for myself, etc". Don't worry guys. Mike in accounting thinks the swastika looks pretty cool but that's NOT the opinion of the company. Shareholders you can relax. 

• Haha 1

On 6/8/2022 at 8:11 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

THE next time you should try HNIC.  

• Haha 2

That’s because he was the HMFIC.
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

For the second night in a row the KHOU weatherman tried to explain our current heat wave using Boyle’s Law.  His explanation was that when a gas or liquid is compressed its temperature will increase. I guess weathermen don’t have to study hydraulics

Ha! Yeah - what a fucking idiot. Who doesn't understand Boyle's Law and it's implications on meteorology? 

• Haha 2

Super trivial but when podcasts decide to do "live in front of a studio audience" episodes.  It could just be coincidence, but it feels like these are happening more and more with the podcasts I listen to now that everything has opened back up.  

The entire chemistry of everyone on a podcast changes when it's live.  They're always playing to the crowd and trying too hard to be cute with the audience.  The audio mix is always off and there's always someone hard to hear over others or the crowd. 

If I read "live from" on a podcast description I'm tempted to just skip that episode for the week.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Ha! Yeah - what a fucking idiot. Who doesn't understand Boyle's Law and it's implications on meteorology? 

You fall somewhere outside the overlapping circles of people that understand:

1) Boyle’s law

2) Meteorology

3) Proper use of apostrophes. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nnm said:

You fall somewhere outside the overlapping circles of people that understand:

1) Boyle’s law

2) Meteorology

3) Proper use of apostrophes. 

Oops! Wow. Haha. I'm such a dumbass. I thought that by understanding Boyle's law and its implications on meteorology that I might have been immune to common grammatical errors such as apostropheing a word that didn't call for it. 

I'm glad you set me straight there!

• Haha 1