Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

drove in the rain last night on 50mph unlit country road (=no sidewalk). 

there was a cyclist (commuter, not recreational) wearing dark clothing with zero reflectors or lights of any kind.  unbelievably stupid stuff.

You can be right (legally) and still be dead. Pretty damn stupid to put yourself at risk because you believe it's everyone else's responsibility to yield to you.

Bike shorts squeeze your balls and make you do stupid shit.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

drove in the rain last night on 50mph unlit country road (=no sidewalk). 

there was a cyclist (commuter, not recreational) wearing dark clothing with zero reflectors or lights of any kind.  unbelievably stupid stuff.

Hope you splashed the hell out of them.

I live in Central Houston and work on the West side of town.

I get on/off I-10 at Heights/Yale.  On about 7:45 and off about 5:30-ish.

EVERY DAY some dipshits exit the freeway, stay in that lane and get right back on.

EVERY FUCKING DAY.

What is the point of this? 

Are you "getting ahead" in traffic by that much?

I don't get it...

45 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

EVERY DAY some dipshits exit the freeway, stay in that lane and get right back on.

EVERY FUCKING DAY.

I don't get it...

They are called lane jumpers, I think.  I’ve always thought it was a shitty move, but I’ve heard some people say that the lanes and ramps are designed that way to encourage the behavior to improve traffic flow.  

EVERY FUCKING DAY.

I don't get it...

Sadly, GPS probably tells them to and they don’t even notice/think about it.

My dad and his a good friend of his were co-driving a charter bus through Minneapolis, a metro my dad knows the highway set up pretty well. His friends GPS told him to drive the bus off the interstate, onto a frontage road for a few exits then right back onto the interstate they were just on. Dad told him to just stay on the interstate because it’s where they needed to be. Friend exited off because of the GPS. Dad told him to throw that thing away as they got back on the interstate.

15 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Sadly, GPS probably tells them to and they don’t even notice/think about it.

My dad and his a good friend of his were co-driving a charter bus through Minneapolis, a metro my dad knows the highway set up pretty well. His friends GPS told him to drive the bus off the interstate, onto a frontage road for a few exits then right back onto the interstate they were just on. Dad told him to just stay on the interstate because it’s where they needed to be. Friend exited off because of the GPS. Dad told him to throw that thing away as they got back on the interstate.

Well, did the GPS help them avoid a standstill on the interstate and improve their arrival time by 10 minutes or what?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HouTex said:

They are called lane jumpers, I think.  I’ve always thought it was a shitty move, but I’ve heard some people say that the lanes and ramps are designed that way to encourage the behavior to improve traffic flow.  

I can't imagine more cars merging back onto the interstate they just exited  will improve traffic flow..but what do I know?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You can be right (legally) and still be dead. Pretty damn stupid to put yourself at risk because you believe it's everyone else's responsibility to yield to you.

Bike shorts squeeze your balls and make you do stupid shit.

One of my early college roommates believed that walking was a right and that driving was a privilege. While on campus one day there was a small group of us crossing 21st Street between Moore-Hill and Brackenridge. To our right was Speedway.  As we were crossing the street I hear a motorcycle revving up off to the right coming from the direction of Speedway.  I tell everyone to look out but my then roommate continues to cross 21st Street (his constitutional right according to him) whereupon he gets hit by the motorcycle.  Roommate goes flying and the motorcycle goes sliding.  All get up and brush themselves off.  No problem.  However, later that night the roommate is complaining about his wrist.  Turns out it is broken.  I get a call from UTPD asking for information regarding the incident.  No names were shared at the time of the incident and since everyone seemed fine at the time we all just walked away chalking it up to the pedestrian losing out to a motorized vehicle. FAFO.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, Superhero said:

When the VPs of the company put together an unrealistic G&A budget, and now want me to figure out a "recovery plan" to make up a shortfall of 28%.

4th quarter is when you blame sales for not increasing revenues at a pace 10% higher than last year. It's a tale as old as time.

4 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

EVERY FUCKING DAY.

I don't get it...

For a brief period of time this was illegal and they were handing out tickets left and right where I live (a little north of Dallas).  I received one of them.  It was actually the opposite of this.  I was going to pickup some takeout one exit down and used the on/off ramp to skip the light in between.  People were pissed about it  and they either got rid of the law or quit enforcing it.

59 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

For a brief period of time this was illegal and they were handing out tickets left and right where I live (a little north of Dallas).  I received one of them.  It was actually the opposite of this.  I was going to pickup some takeout one exit down and used the on/off ramp to skip the light in between.  People were pissed about it  and they either got rid of the law or quit enforcing it.

This, I get.  I would do the same.

These folks are exiting the freeway and getting right back on....They're trying to get around freeway traffic by "going around" it on the feeder and getting back on ahead of where they think they would've been....if that makes sense?

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Houston identifier. Don’t say service road either.

And while we are on intra-state nomenclature, what the fuck is up with those north Texas jackoffs calling breakfast tacos breakfast burritos?

I’ve lived in north Texas for most of my life and nobody calls it a burrito.  Maybe a place that serves a supersized one calls it a burrito to differentiate it from their smaller taco offerings, but that’s it.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Houston identifier. Don’t say service road either.

And while we are on intra-state nomenclature, what the fuck is up with those north Texas jackoffs calling breakfast tacos breakfast burritos?

Yep.  Even in Fort Bend County it was always the feeder.  In 1980 on the way to Dallas for OU weekend I kept seeing exit signs for the “Frontage Road’” and I made a comment that it was strange that all these towns keep using the same name for a street.  I caught a lot grief for that one.  

• Haha 3

Breakfast burritos and breakfast tacos are two completely separate things, like regular burritos and tacos.  A burrito is a large tortilla filled with ingredients and rolled shut on the ends.  A taco is a smaller tortilla filled with ingredients and left open.  Is there a regional argument about those definitions?

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve lived in north Texas for most of my life and nobody calls it a burrito.  Maybe a place that serves a supersized one calls it a burrito to differentiate it from their smaller taco offerings, but that’s it.
Same. Never heard of anyone calling a breakfast taco a burrito.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Same. Never heard of anyone calling a breakfast taco a burrito.

I mean I have heard it before, but it was from people ho had just moved here from California.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Oh man. That one irrationally pisses me off. Had a coworker that called them that. He had a lot of Okie in his bloodline. 

But - like others have said - never heard that living in Dallas. Maybe it's some stupid Okie shit. 

Edited by ztejas

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You like people shooting at you for going 80mph in a 65mph freeway because that is too slow? You do you.

Much better than doing 35 in a 55 while buried in their cell phone, then flip you off once you pass them on the right.  Austin drivers are worse than the Derrel.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, are we talking about idot drivers?  I got one that just happened. 

I'm unloading groceries and lil' Stetson got loose (still training).  I'm trying to wrangle him.  I hear a car at high RPM coming around the corner.  I step out and do the slow down (hand high to low) signal.  Driver decides to speed up and go full power to their house TEN HOUSES AWAY!

I wrangle dog, get in my truck and go knock on their door....hard.

I grown man anwers the door.  I say "are you a grown-up?"

He says yes.

Do you drive that car right there?

He says no, that's my step daughter's car.  

Well I'm Elvis and I live right there.

I tell him what happened.

We both agree that teenage drivers are dumb. He'll talk to her about it.

Then he says, "I understand, I probably would have done the same thing."

Then he says, " Actually probably not, I wouldn't have done that, but I understand."

We shake on it.  Settled.  For now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I’ve taken a lot of Uber rides the past 5 years, and just encountered the worst. driver. ever.

Some young kid in Hyundai SUV. We had a few suitcases and just kinda threw them into the back. Didn’t say a word throughout the ride, didn’t use his turn signal once, start-stop-start-stop, tailgated and slammed on his brakes a few times to avoid an accident.

Once we got to the airport, he just stepped aside for us to get our own bags. Didn’t say a word and just left.

I don’t expect a limo experience, but drivers can get decent tips if they’re remotely nice. Gave him no tip and 1 star.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I’ve taken a lot of Uber rides the past 5 years, and just encountered the worst. driver. ever.

Some young kid in Hyundai SUV. We had a few suitcases and just kinda threw them into the back. Didn’t say a word throughout the ride, didn’t use his turn signal once, start-stop-start-stop, tailgated and slammed on his brakes a few times to avoid an accident.

Once we got to the airport, he just stepped aside for us to get our own bags. Didn’t say a word and just left.

I don’t expect a limo experience, but drivers can get decent tips if they’re remotely nice. Gave him no tip and 1 star.

You can probably do something else like report him for unsafe driving or the like. Haven't been on the platform in awhile but there should be dings that are a step up from 1 star.

Obviously depends on how much you want to spend time doing it but it might be a simple click here click there done - dickhead gets an email from support staff. 

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

You can probably do something else like report him for unsafe driving or the like. Haven't been on the platform in awhile but there should be dings that are a step up from 1 star.

Obviously depends on how much you want to spend time doing it but it might be a simple click here click there done - dickhead gets an email from support staff. 

I reported once for a cigarette car. Uber comped the ride. It was an Uber black after a company holiday party, so was about $120. 

You like people shooting at you for going 80mph in a 65mph freeway because that is too slow? You do you.

Much better than doing 35 in a 55 while buried in their cell phone, then flip you off once you pass them on the right.  Austin drivers are worse than the Derrel.

This post sequence is perfect. I learned to drive in Houston, I’ve been in Austin for 30+ years. Give me Houston drivers all day every day.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, nnm said:

I reported once for a cigarette car. Uber comped the ride. It was an Uber black after a company holiday party, so was about $120. 

I’ve complained once.  I was taking an Uber from Fair Park to Lakewood after the blowu game.  The guy damn near drove to Oak Cliff before turning around and heading in the right direction.  Full refund >$100.  Happened pretty quickly.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 2:15 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Good one.

Lived in Houston metro for 15 years and spent a very significant amount of time on the roads, at the tune of about 35k miles/ year work specific.  If I ever got shot at, they didn't hit me.  LMAO.

i don't miss hurricanes and I don't miss humidity.  I do miss great restaurant choices and massage parlors on every block( I kid.) Traffic did suck if you didn't plan for it.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’ve only met one person like this, but people who think it’s a badge of honor to let their phone battery drain almost to zero before recharging. Wtf?

I get nervous when getting below 50% on the phone, but I'll be damned if I'm going to fill up the gas tank on the truck until it's under 50 miles to E.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1