Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

Switching to Google Calendar on my iPhone and noticing the icon stays at 31.

(The iPhone’s calendar app icon changes everyday to show the date and day of the week)

Not so trivial is having about 10 Apple devices, using Google Chrome and other Google apps, and a house full of Amazon Echoes that all excel in what they do, it’s hard for me to commit to just one ecosystem. 

• Like 1

Our school district left a VM at 630 AM saying all schools are closed for the day because there is asbestos in the air after a major fire in the area.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/asbestos-poor-air-following-historic-hangar-fire-orange-county/amp/

A little extra notice would have been nice.

Does the arsonist even have your number?

Maybe more Random Thought material. Thank you for your service. This annoys me for some reason. People just use it as a meaningless auto response like a “bless you” after a sneeze. I know for some guys it is, but for me being a veteran isn’t my entire identity, it’s just something I did when I was young and that was a long time ago. But I’ll be in the middle of a conversation and someplace I’ve been or someone I knew, etc will come up and the fact I was in the service will come in ancillarily and it’s immediately “Thank you for your service”. It interrupts the flow of the conversation and I have to throw out a thank you then try to get the convo back on track…. It’s a whole deal. Maybe if I had a service caused disability it would mean something to me, IDK. Happy Veterans Day BTW!

• Like 8

Maybe more Random Thought material. Thank you for your service. This annoys me for some reason. People just use it as a meaningless auto response like a “bless you” after a sneeze. I know for some guys it is, but for me being a veteran isn’t my entire identity, it’s just something I did when I was young and that was a long time ago. But I’ll be in the middle of a conversation and someplace I’ve been or someone I knew, etc will come up and the fact I was in the service will come in ancillarily and it’s immediately “Thank you for your service”. It interrupts the flow of the conversation and I have to throw out a thank you then try to get the convo back on track…. It’s a whole deal. Maybe if I had a service caused disability it would mean something to me, IDK. Happy Veterans Day BTW!

Sure, but “thank you for being a dumbass who made poor financial decisions after basic and banged skanks in Killeen who were looking for a ring” takes too long to say.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Thank you for your service.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

One of my uncles (U.S. Army-Vietnam) is extremely introverted.  Like me IRL, does not like talking to people.  Another uncle (U.S. Navy-Vietnam).  Is very outgoing and social.  But they had a running gag for awhile at events/gatherings where, like you point out, the introverted uncle had a hard time getting the conversation back on track which he didn't even want to engage in to begin with after somebody politely said, "Thank you for your service."  So my other uncle would say, "And thank you for your pervis."  Invariably somebody'd ask "did you say service or pervis?"  Social uncle would say, "Yes, pervis.  The courtyard area in front of a church."  Non-vet would ask, "Oh okay.  So a pervis is not like a pervert or anything?"  Quiet uncle would say, "Well, depends on the guy inside the church."  Keep in mind between these two guys, they could outdrink an entire Air Cav platoon.  

Heading down to the Veteran's Day parade in a few.  Y'all enjoy your day.  Pervs! 

Edited by YGIFS

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure, but “thank you for being a dumbass who made poor financial decisions after basic and banged skanks in Killeen who were looking for a ring” takes too long to say.

PFC finished basic training starter kit. 
IMG_2162.jpeg.49f78417829960b3038c0b8fe9c176df.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

It comes across as "Damn I'm glad I wasn't as dumb as you."  It almost makes me laugh, but yeah, most of the time it is very respectful so I just say thanks.

I got my reward in serving from the ongoing comradery with other veterans and now even with my kids.  There were some lifelong lessons that SHOULD make you less gullible or naïve towards other people.  It just feels weird every year to hear stuff at work at Veterans Day.  Probably my favorite thing is when someone says, "i had no idea you were in the Marines," which yeah, blows up a lot of stereotypes; but I just don't bring it up unless someone else initiates the convo like you describe above.  I know when I leave the room, they are like, "Damn, he doesn't even  yell that much..." or "Why doesn't he have stickers all over his truck?"

On 11/11/2023 at 11:54 AM, slorch said:

It comes across as "Damn I'm glad I wasn't as dumb as you."  It almost makes me laugh, but yeah, most of the time it is very respectful so I just say thanks.

I got my reward in serving from the ongoing comradery with other veterans and now even with my kids.  There were some lifelong lessons that SHOULD make you less gullible or naïve towards other people.  It just feels weird every year to hear stuff at work at Veterans Day.  Probably my favorite thing is when someone says, "i had no idea you were in the Marines," which yeah, blows up a lot of stereotypes; but I just don't bring it up unless someone else initiates the convo like you describe above.  I know when I leave the room, they are like, "Damn, he doesn't even  yell that much..." or "Why doesn't he have stickers all over his truck?"

Just now, YGIFS said:

'Cause we all know Marines can't figure out how stickers work ;)  

Only have a 3 marines between both sides of my family, and they all keep a low profile about it, as you described.  But just the other day, I found an American Legion/Navy sticker my dad had ordered for his truck shortly before he died.  He spoke about his service frequently with me, some family, and some of his Navy buddies (they served in the Vietnam era).  But he didn't talk about it at work or friends or neighbors.  But it was a different time too.  Every family where I grew up, had several members who served.  Obviously because draft era but also enlistees and officers as well.  They spoke about it a bit, but it wasn't a big topic except on Memorial Day and they were half in the bag talking about missed friends.  But yeah, if I walked out to the patio and said "Thank you for your service" to my dad's Navy buddies or my Uncle and cousin in the Corps, everybody'd be like "What the fuck is wrong with your son, Ralph?  Tell him to get me another beer."  We were just always around other veteran families.  

We live on a little street with 11 homes.  Every Veterans Day (and many other related holidays), I take my daughters outside to hang the flag and show them a proper salute and posture as my father showed me and his father before him.  We are the only family that puts one out on the street, no biggie.  But last year, my neighbor's dad was in town on this weekend (USAF) and he asked my neighbor's wife to take a photo of us (I didn't know it at the time).  She sent it afterwards of me standing with the girls putting up the colors.  She said it made his day to see somebody of my age taking a quiet moment to mark the Day.  We talked later on about all the men in my family and their service in war and peacetime (mostly war, we're grumpy like that) and his time during Vietnam.  So we're two families out of eleven with a service tradition.  Again, I didn't do shit.  But 2 outta 11.  In Texas.  There was a time it would be the opposite ratio not that long ago.  

I can remember dozens of barbecues and fishing trips listening to those men in my family and their friends swapping stories about their time.  And I just listened intently.  And laughed when they laughed and got quiet when they got quiet.  It was just part of growing up.  And now my children won't know how to engage in a conversation about stuff like that, if they ever even hear one in the first place.  Because ironically, of what those guys did.  As my grandfather used to say, "We went into the North Atlantic and then into the South Pacific, so you wouldn't have to."  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Bless your heart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That Uber for Teens commercial where a dad is leisurely fucking around at home doing nothing and has his 12 YO kid Uber to and from the orthodonist alone to have his braces removed.  WTF. Who does that? What dentist is going to work on a kid without a guardian present?  I need realism in my shitty 30 second commercials.

• Like 1

i really fucking hate outlook's interface.  looks and works exactly the same as thunderbird from 25+ years ago.  came from using gmail professionally to this garbage.  where the fuck are my replies?  "you replied on november 14 at 12:31 pm" well show me the fucking reply instead of hiding it you fucking dick.  one of these things is damn near free from google and the other is microsoft's premier product, but you wouldn't know it from using them. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

i really fucking hate outlook's interface.  looks and works exactly the same as thunderbird from 25+ years ago.  came from using gmail professionally to this garbage.  where the fuck are my replies?  "you replied on november 14 at 12:31 pm" well show me the fucking reply instead of hiding it you fucking dick.  one of these things is damn near free from google and the other is microsoft's premier product, but you wouldn't know it from using them. 

Get rid of the focused view BS.  You think Outlook is bad, you should try the Terminal...

I often do work in residential neighborhoods, and will pick a random curb space in front of a house when I park.

Recently a lady ran out, as I'm parking in front of hers, to say "I don't mind if you park here but leave enough room for our car."

Oh, you don't mind if I park on public property? How ignorantly charitable of you.

I may rent a mobile home and set it up there over the holidays, Cousin Eddie style.

26 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

I often do work in residential neighborhoods, and will pick a random curb space in front of a house when I park.

Recently a lady ran out, as I'm parking in front of hers, to say "I don't mind if you park here but leave enough room for our car."

Oh, you don't mind if I park on public property? How ignorantly charitable of you.

I may rent a mobile home and set it up there over the holidays, Cousin Eddie style.

What are your thoughts about contractors and their trailers being near a driveway?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

What are your thoughts about contractors and their trailers being near a driveway?

Public property. They're welcome to it. For the record I don't have a trailer. Just normal suv size.

As further proof of her misplaced statement, they don't even own. I saw the for lease sign before they moved in.

When I haven't parked there, her car is directly in the middle of the curb area ensuring none else can park there.

Tldr; Karens gonna Karen.

On 11/15/2023 at 9:45 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I say this seemingly once a year but it should be illegal to put sirens and any mimicking of road noise/horns in music. Fuck off with that bullshit.

See also: door bells on TV.

I’m just speaking for my dog who goes apeshit.

21 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

If you don’t work with me as a homeowner/ be a responsible citizen, you might struggle getting your rig home.

Of course you can park where the fuck you want, but don’t go fucking up the flow of how things work on a given street when it’s preventable.

Because you can =/=you should

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

If you don’t work with me as a homeowner/ be a responsible citizen, you might struggle getting your rig home.

Of course you can park where the fuck you want, but don’t go fucking up the flow of how things work on a given street when it’s preventable.

Because you can =/=you should

And that's fair. Despite the username, I'm an amenable and more often than not, an over-accommodating guy.

What created the "surly" attitude was her coming out - before I even got out of the car - to tell me she granted me permission to park there.

I wasn't even engaged in parking douche baggery at the time, which I too would have nipped in the bud if the roles were reversed.

Which I have since observed because they regularly park taking up two spots on the street with a single car parked in the middle of the curb area. That's probably what surly'ed me up the most.

22 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Public property. They're welcome to it. For the record I don't have a trailer. Just normal suv size.

As further proof of her misplaced statement, they don't even own. I saw the for lease sign before they moved in.

When I haven't parked there, her car is directly in the middle of the curb area ensuring none else can park there.

Tldr; Karens gonna Karen.

This is a tough one.  I wouldn't run out and stop someone from parking in front of my house like that.  Then again, if I'm home, my car is on the curb already.  I've had it happen once or twice when I come home and someone is in my "spot" on the curb.  As long as it's gone in a few hours, whatever.  If they were there more than say 12 hours, we might have a problem.  Public street or not, we are living in a society.