Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

Writing a check in Sam's in 2023/2024..What the fuck are you doing, old ass lady?

Using anything but the scan and pay app on your phone in Sam’s is just a waste. I haven’t been to the checkout line in years.

Christmas Eve day I walked in, grabbed a nice trimmed beef tenderloin, scanned, paid, flashed the QR code to the door monitor, and was back in the truck inside of 5 minutes total.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 12/30/2023 at 10:12 AM, Brisketexan said:

Yeah…we had an annoying experience the other night when we had some Jewish friends over. The “we don’t eat pork or shellfish” thing is of course no problem, I’ve always been happy to accommodate that religious requirement - I made chicken and dumplings. They also brought one of their sons who is vegetarian - again, no problem, I had a portion of some roasted veggies with rajas and a good red chile sauce. But their youngest son has now apparently gone SUPERJEW. He won’t eat ANY meat not shechita slaughtered (and nobody shared this with us beforehand). So, the chicken and dumplings I had for him? Nope. And I only had one serving of the veggies. So, we had to scramble and find something else for him to eat. Sorry, that was rude.

Here's some fucking corn flakes.  or don't eat motherfucker.

The dietary trump cards make me fucking tired.

Yeah, be respectful, but if you don't want to eat?  Don't  eat.  This isn't your personal fucking circus trick.

Edited by slorch

On 12/28/2023 at 3:16 PM, slorch said:

In Jersey visiting  family and I made a beer run to replenish booze that has been consumed.  Stopped by 7-11 to toppoff the vehicle with gas. Park and start to get out.  Dude damned near runs over me.

Holy furk.  I forgot about the helpless motherfuckers in New Jersey who can’t pump gas. 

So fucking dumb.  Then I  have some yokel fiddling with my gas cap and touching bank card for no reason.

and fuck their stupid straw policy also.  Gotta ask the cashier for a straw when you buy a fountain drink.  Again,dumb as fuck.

Counterpoint:

1. Gas station attendants are the best thing ever.  I love not dealing with that when it's 12 degrees or 97 degrees.

2. NJ cares about the environment.  Guess what: no plastic bags, either.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Counterpoint:

1. Gas station attendants are the best thing ever.  I love not dealing with that when it's 12 degrees or 97 degrees.

2. NJ cares about the environment.  Guess what: no plastic bags, either.

1. No they aren't.  I don't need some rando fucking with my vehicle or my bank card/ charge card.  NJ is 1 of 50 who does this and it's , not about customer convenience.

2. The straws behind the counter have fuck all to do with the environment.  LO-Fucking-L.  They are the exact same plastic straws in plastic wrappers.  People love so much shit that sounds good and doesn't make a bit of difference.

Edited by slorch

On 12/30/2023 at 10:12 AM, Brisketexan said:

Yeah…we had an annoying experience the other night when we had some Jewish friends over. The “we don’t eat pork or shellfish” thing is of course no problem, I’ve always been happy to accommodate that religious requirement - I made chicken and dumplings. They also brought one of their sons who is vegetarian - again, no problem, I had a portion of some roasted veggies with rajas and a good red chile sauce. But their youngest son has now apparently gone SUPERJEW. He won’t eat ANY meat not shechita slaughtered (and nobody shared this with us beforehand). So, the chicken and dumplings I had for him? Nope. And I only had one serving of the veggies. So, we had to scramble and find something else for him to eat. Sorry, that was rude.

Just be happy the kid didn’t take it to this level.
AE5A8C58-D54C-40A7-931B-D309D9979772.gif.268022603022645c2381277bd1128641.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2023 at 12:09 PM, Vic Mackey said:
On 12/28/2023 at 10:19 AM, Bullneck said:
This.
There's no fucking reason for Afghanistan to be the first option in a pull down.

Yep I've mentioned this a few weeks back. United States needs to always be at the top along with some other countries.

Kinda like on ESPN, when you're looking at football score. There is a drop down (usually defaulted to the top 25) so you can select what conference scores you want see. But it has all the conferences listed. Put the Power 5 at the top!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, nnm said:

GCzDTSaaQAAC_5K?format=jpg&name=small

People who print things make me surly. Take a screenshot, save it as a pdf, etc.  I’m shorting HP stock when my dad dies, because their printer cartridge division is going to see a serious dip in sales the following quarter.

• Haha 2

It is fascinating that somehow, despite the vast, vast majority of Americans printing far less/fewer things out the last several years...that the price of printer cartridges/toner completely flies in the face of supply/demand capitalism.  Same with printer paper.  Both commercial and private use of toner and paper are way, way down.  And yet the prices of ink and bulk paper remain level, or even get higher.  And don't give me the inflation bullshit, this has been going on for years.  A solid decade of paper and ink decline and yet their pricing cartel remains in tact, even getting stronger (despite office supply stores folding one after another).  It's fucking weird is all.  

On the subject of soda fountains/coffee stations.  Covid taught us nothing.  Families will stand four abreast at the soda fountain taking their sweet time pouring their sodas, taking a big sip, and then topping them off, slowly putting on lids, unwrapping straws while the kids touch everything they can see in the dispensary area.  Mom looks at the all the tea sweeteners like it's the first time she's seen colored packets.  Kids decide it's too much ice so they dump some out and start over.  What in the fucking fuck?  Stop touching everything.  You approach sideways/perpendicular.  Quick shot of ice, quick dispensing of beverage.  Go set it down.  Then come back and grab anything else you might need, also sideways, like lemon or straw or whatever.  Plus, if you're dining in...be a fucking adult and just sit out of the cup.  Lids and straws are for sippy cups and commuters.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 12/26/2023 at 8:36 PM, MrBig said:

People who use the term “how come” instead of saying “why” when they ask a question. The second I hear someone say it, I can’t help but think they went to aggy or OU because it sounds so fucking stupid and unintelligent. 

802f22e9-acd3-4b01-a865-47dc7408aa27_tex

On 12/28/2023 at 12:09 PM, Vic Mackey said:
On 12/28/2023 at 10:19 AM, Bullneck said:
This.
There's no fucking reason for Afghanistan to be the first option in a pull down.

Yep I've mentioned this a few weeks back. United States needs to always be at the top along with some other countries.

Shouldn't it be by population?  Most to least?

On 12/26/2023 at 8:36 PM, MrBig said:

People who use the term “how come” instead of saying “why” when they ask a question. The second I hear someone say it, I can’t help but think they went to aggy or OU because it sounds so fucking stupid and unintelligent. 

Wherefore do you think so?

Why in the motherfuck do different applications on my phone have different volume settings?  If I turn the volume off when I’m on my browser, why is it not assumed that I want the volume off for the rest of the phone?

For example, I turned it off whilst on surly, but then clicked on a Twitter video in surly and shit goes full blast. 

I won’t even mention that private browser mode and regular browser mode have the same issue. 

Should this go in dumb question amnesty?

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

For example, I turned it off whilst on surly, but then clicked on a Twitter video in surly and shit goes full blast. 

I won’t even mention that private browser mode and regular browser mode have the same issue. 

Yes, i always have issues with private browser mode for watching videos….”on surly”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Why in the motherfuck do different applications on my phone have different volume settings?  If I turn the volume off when I’m on my browser, why is it not assumed that I want the volume off for the rest of the phone?

Annoying af

17 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

My iPhone doesn’t work like that. There’s one volume setting for everything. 

People who print things make me surly. Take a screenshot, save it as a pdf, etc.  I’m shorting HP stock when my dad dies, because their printer cartridge division is going to see a serious dip in sales the following quarter.

lol the market didn’t even flinch when my dad died and quit printing out recipes.

It’s been years since I bought cartridges, I have the HP smart subscription. $6/month in perpetuity and they send me refills when my printer tells them to.

On 12/30/2023 at 10:22 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

There is a statute of limitations, and it’s best to just say what your deal is when you accept an invite. For sure if it’s really involved. “We’d like to come to dinner. We’ve been cutting way down on red meat, is that OK?” lands much better than “we don’t eat anything but chicken and seafood” on the day of.

Its a pretty safe bet that by day of, your host has put planning and money into the meal and it’s a dick move to say “oh, we don’t eat most stuff.” 

Should have told the little bastard to starve.

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why separate setting, why?

• Rage+1 1

Well, if you'd listened to me...you'd be polishing that gold medal from Barcelona, biff.  Now you're just some confused, no-medal having clown from the 70's in the AppleStore asking for rudimentary assistance.  Don't get me started on your AM/PM settings.  What is this, amateur hour?  

Fun fact because I'm dumb.  IRL, not even doing the bit from Kramer from the Merv Griffin show, I was in El Paso on business about 20 years ago.  I think I was still on my first cell phone.  Took a client out for dinner and drinks.  And then we had to meet the next morning for paperwork.  I set my clock for 7pm, not 7am.  I overslept by two hours.  Thankfully, he overslept by even more.  While waiting for my flight that evening, I set my laptop and phone to 24hr time, the rest of the world keeps it.  So that even in a drunken stupor, I'd look and say, "Well, waking up at 1900 makes no fucking sense."  Saved me ever since, knock on wood.  But I'd still like to think there's a guy in the basement hotel staring at a big clock hoping I'll fuck up.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 7:35 PM, YGIFS said:

Well, if you'd listened to me...you'd be polishing that gold medal from Barcelona, biff.  Now you're just some confused, no-medal having clown from the 70's in the AppleStore asking for rudimentary assistance.  Don't get me started on your AM/PM settings.  What is this, amateur hour?  

Fun fact because I'm dumb.  IRL, not even doing the bit from Kramer from the Merv Griffin show, I was in El Paso on business about 20 years ago.  I think I was still on my first cell phone.  Took a client out for dinner and drinks.  And then we had to meet the next morning for paperwork.  I set my clock for 7pm, not 7am.  I overslept by two hours.  Thankfully, he overslept by even more.  While waiting for my flight that evening, I set my laptop and phone to 24hr time, the rest of the world keeps it.  So that even in a drunken stupor, I'd look and say, "Well, waking up at 1900 makes no fucking sense."  Saved me ever since, knock on wood.  But I'd still like to think there's a guy in the basement hotel staring at a big clock hoping I'll fuck up.  

24 hour time on all devices. This is the way. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yesterday I was presenting to a class full of teachers.  As far as the teaching profession goes, it's quite common to leave candy out at the table or desks.  So, I put three bags of candy on the sign-in table.  Just as I'm about to speak, this random woman comes up holding the bag of Almond Joys.  

Me: Is everything ok?

Her:  I'm allergic to almonds.

Me - knowing full well I can't go Surly on this chick: Oh, ok.  I'll just put the bag over here.

I mean, seriously?  If it means that much to you, don't touch the fucking candy.  Or, better yet, don't pick up the fucking bag and bring it to me.  I'm honestly not sure what moving the bag about 5 feet did for this chick.  My son also has a tree nut allergy, so this isn't a rant against folks with allergies. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nnm said:

Target rich environment. 

Correct.  I did 6 trainings.  In addition to what I've already mentioned, I also had to deal with one teacher that swore my picture of a lengua taco wasn't lengua because it wasn't barbacoa.  I responded by stating that I just did a search for "lengua tacos" and did not check my source once the pic was found.  That actually cracked up the rest of the group.  I had another that went to one of the AI sites that I mentioned, but couldn't get it to work.  Granted 30 other teachers were on the exact same site w/o an issue, so it had to be something with her laptop.  I'm not saying this was the issue, but she had a bunch of silly stuff added to her laptop - oversized cursor that was about 3 inches in length, butterflies popping up when you press a button, etc...  It's not that I don't want to help.  It's just... Look around you.  If 30 computers are working and your computer is not working, it's probably something with your computer.  The way she spoke, it was if I sent her to a sketchy Surly link from "I'd pee in her butt".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yesterday I was presenting to a class full of teachers.  As far as the teaching profession goes, it's quite common to leave candy out at the table or desks.  So, I put three bags of candy on the sign-in table.  Just as I'm about to speak, this random woman comes up holding the bag of Almond Joys.  

Me: Is everything ok?

Her:  I'm allergic to almonds.

Me - knowing full well I can't go Surly on this chick: Oh, ok.  I'll just put the bag over here.

I mean, seriously?  If it means that much to you, don't touch the fucking candy.  Or, better yet, don't pick up the fucking bag and bring it to me.  I'm honestly not sure what moving the bag about 5 feet did for this chick.  My son also has a tree nut allergy, so this isn't a rant against folks with allergies. 

I was unaware nut allergies traveled through packaging. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bright, non-dimmable bathroom lights. 

When im a guest at hotel or other peoples houses…taking a piss at 3am is like walking straight into the core of the sun. 

At the hotel just piss in the dark and hope for the best. And always leave a tip for whoever has to clean that bathroom floor.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

At the hotel just piss in the dark and hope for the best. And always leave a tip for whoever has to clean that bathroom floor.

This is how I imagine most Okies live life...  But at least you go above and beyond and tip.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Underdog said:

Pack a night light, we never leave home without it. 

This. I put one in all of our bathrooms at home so we can all take care of our business (whether that's sleeping or otherwise) without disturbing others. Plus, there's nothing like jamming my pinky toe on the footboard to wake up the entire household while I fall to the ground with a thud whimpering. Dang, that hurts way more than it should considering one of my babies weighed almost nine pounds.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

The amount of Buccees billboards. And they start like 80 miles away and are seemingly there every mile. With them building the one in Hillsboro, I'll see them the entire way down 35 pretty much to Temple.

well gotta hire Aggy engineers to do something.

People who use the reflexive when it’s not correct. 

At a conference and the woman giving admin information kept doing it:

”If you have any questions just direct them to myself.” 

“ME! Direct them to “me.” Learn to diagram a damn sentence. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

People who use the reflexive when it’s not correct. 

At a conference and the woman giving admin information kept doing it:

”If you have any questions just direct them to myself.” 

“ME! Direct them to “me.” Learn to diagram a damn sentence. 

Whom would say such a thing?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4