Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

My kid likes to smear his greasy and yogurt (and god knows what else) stained hands all over the remote controllers in the house, and eventually the clicky button goes sticky and dull. 

Some of these remotes I can disassemble and clean but the others (like AppleTV) is impossible

• Rage+1 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:07 AM, closetohumping said:

I’m not sure you all will agree with this:

1 guy trying to make a turn from the wrong lane, impeding traffic.  Sorry dude it was your fuck up not mine.  
2 related to #1.  Intentionally going in the wrong lane only to cut in to the lane you need to be in.  

Why would anyone disagree on either of these?  Both bullshit moves.

Go to cash a check at my bank( national chain.)  I produce Drivers License and have already written endorsement & my account number on back of check.

Hand them to teller and tell her I need it cashed.

" Please insert your debit card and enter your pin.  There may be fees associated with this transaction."

"For a $75 check on an account in use since 1989?  Just cash the check.  You have everything you need."

Manager gives her the nod to do it.  Why?  Why the fuck are the extra steps even needed, and why can't people have any awareness?  MUST STICK TO SCRIPT!!!

I'm just gonna start burying my money in the back yard.

Edited by slorch

If you’re crawling along while the light ahead of us is green, you’re damn right I’ll pass your ass in the left or right turn lane as long as they’re clear of traffic. My rule is don’t force anyone else to step on their brakes or impede their right of way. As long as I’m not doing either of those things, what do you care?

I dropped off a package at the UPS store. As I was walking towards the door, I see a small woman approaching, carrying a large box. She has a child following behind her, also carrying a box. They were a good 30 feet away as I exited the store, so I waited and held the door open so both could enter. Not only does she refuse to acknowledge what I did, she had a look of distain on her face, like "Ugh, this asshole!". Now, I'm not asking for her to get teared up and act like I just saved her from a rapist, but you can't even mutter a simple "Thanks" ? What a bitch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you’re crawling along while the light ahead of us is green, you’re damn right I’ll pass your ass in the left or right turn lane as long as they’re clear of traffic. My rule is don’t force anyone else to step on their brakes or impede their right of way. As long as I’m not doing either of those things, what do you care?

Are you referencing my post specifically or just general traffic etiquette ?

7 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I dropped off a package at the UPS store. As I was walking towards the door, I see a small woman approaching, carrying a large box. She has a child following behind her, also carrying a box. They were a good 30 feet away as I exited the store, so I waited and held the door open so both could enter. Not only does she refuse to acknowledge what I did, she had a look of distain on her face, like "Ugh, this asshole!". Now, I'm not asking for her to get teared up and act like I just saved her from a rapist, but you can't even mutter a simple "Thanks" ? What a bitch.

Where do you live ?   Here in California people rarely wave when I let them in my lane

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Go to cash a check at my bank( national chain.)  I produce Drivers License and have already written endorsement & my account number on back of check.

" Please insert your debit card and enter your pin.  There may be fees associated with this transaction."

"For a $75 check on an account in use since 1989?  Just cash the check.  You have everything you need."

Manager gives her the nod to do it.  Why?  Why the fuck are the extra steps even needed, and why can't people have any awareness?  MUST STICK TO SCRIPT!!!

I used to swear by local banks.  Local relationships, etc.  But my career was international.  And local banks aren't set up to deal with international issues.  One time I was in London on a Saturday and needed a few pounds to buy lunch.  Credit, debit, and atm card is locked down because I didn't call them to tell them I was I abroad.  All I wanted was a freaking sandwich.  

As soon as I got back I switched my main banking to USAA.  Zero issues with international travel because they're set up for the military.  They don't have any local branches (except for San Antonio), but that's no problem.  I make all my deposits by the mobile app and use any ATM.  

I have a few thousand in a local bank, and a relationship with the local bank management, but for 99% of banking issues, I don't need that account.  

On 2/2/2024 at 8:07 AM, closetohumping said:

I’m not sure you all will agree with this:

1 guy trying to make a turn from the wrong lane, impeding traffic.  Sorry dude it was your fuck up not mine.  
2 related to #1.  Intentionally going in the wrong lane only to cut in to the lane you need to be in.  

or the guy who decides to u-turn under a freeway not by going through the actual u-turn lane, but by going through the traffic lights.  which aren't set up for that, so he has to stop at the red underneath the freeway.  but not in the left-only lane. no, this dumbass decides to sit in the left/straight lane, staring at a green for straight traffic.  dick.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:06 AM, statsman said:

Language misuse. 

I can’t tell you how many times there has been a story of a horrible massacre or slaughter, and comments on this very site will say, “…and they DECIMATED the village…”

No. “Decimate” has a specific meaning- 10% of the populace were killed (word came from a Roman practice). If more than 10% were killed, “decimate” doesn’t work. Jewish populations in Poland were not decimated; it was much worse. 

Then, there is the use of SAGA to basically mean “epic story”. No, a “saga” is an epic story that has an oral tradition. It’s a narrative, meaning, a narrator is a key component. 

tragic to describe anything bad happening.  'he died tragically'  did he kill himself because he realized he killed his father and sexed his mother?  no, it was just a run of the mill car wreck.  that's not tragic. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

tragic to describe anything bad happening.  'he died tragically'  did he kill himself because he realized he killed his father and sexed his mother?  no, it was just a run of the mill car wreck.  that's not tragic. 

I feel the same way when someone says "brutal murder" or "brutal rape". Unless you were drugged or drunk, that rape will haunt you forever. Seems brutal by default IMO. Same with murder, you never hear a newcaster say "A man was gently murdered in NYC tonight". 

Person behind you in the checkout line who runs their cart up within 4 inches of you

2EF47325-0883-444A-8011-A81F197BAEC4.thumb.jpeg.9750420e47917fdd5ed30f197ef16f7d.jpeg

My local H‑E‑B was surprisingly open yesterday and I went to grab a few things. Express lane was totally open so I go there. Since nobody was in the lane I pull my cart about 3/4 of the way towards the cashier so I can set items on the belt. Of course belt starts moving my items and a dipshit rolls up to the end and just starts placing items that then roll down to be mixed with mine while I still had a couple in the basket.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

My local H‑E‑B was surprisingly open yesterday and I went to grab a few things. Express lane was totally open so I go there. Since nobody was in the lane I pull my cart about 3/4 of the way towards the cashier so I can set items on the belt. Of course belt starts moving my items and a dipshit rolls up to the end and just starts placing items that then roll down to be mixed with mine while I still had a couple in the basket.

This would send me into a blind rage

4 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

You should have just acted like it was yours all along. 

Well here goes nothing. People, family members,sons and daughters who have no idea that their dear old mom and pop have no fucking business driving any longer. I went to Walmart yesterday and had loaded my groceries into my pickup and was returning the cart to the corral when a blue hair tried to pull in besides my truck. I had to jump back to keep her from running over me. Then to make matters loose, she continued to pull up alongside my truck on the passenger side, clipping my rear bumper with her front bumper and then her mirror dru alon the bed of the truck. She continued on, pulling completely through the parking space and clear through the next one in front of her. She then kept jockeying for position to try to get in the space in front of me. I had tried to wave her down and even triggered the alarm on my key fob to try to get her attention. I finally got her to stop and asked her, "you do fucking realize you just hit my GD truck don't you"? I get a puzzled look and a "no". I told her she needed to park way the hell away from everyone if she couldn't drive any fucking better than that. Left 4 big paint streaks on my truck, and being an old, yes she was driving a ficking Buick.

I was honestly ashamed afterwards about how I went off on her but damn man, there's no excuse for that shit.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 6

14 hours ago, elfenix said:

Person behind you in the checkout line who runs their cart up within 4 inches of you

2EF47325-0883-444A-8011-A81F197BAEC4.jpeg

Move your ass up then, so I can get out of people's way.  Lollygaggers on their phones, or visiting with Kevin from down the street need to STFU and move their ass.

Full disclosure:  going through a traditional line is last resort for me anyhoo.  I MUCH prefer self check-out, and yes, I am faster/ more efficient with the bagging and payment.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Move your ass up then, so I can get out of people's way.  Lollygaggers on their phones, or visiting with Kevin from down the street need to STFU and move their ass.

Full disclosure:  going through a traditional line is last resort for me anyhoo.  I MUCH prefer self check-out, and yes, I am faster/ more efficient with the bagging and payment.

it was a corral line with no self checkout and i was honoring the personal space of the people in front of me.  fuck you.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, slorch said:

" honoring the personal space"  LOlz.

Scoot your ass up so people can get out of the way.

you're not checking out any earlier because i move a foot forward you goddamn fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

you're not checking out any earlier because i move a foot forward you goddamn fucking moron.

That's not the point.  It is the lateral traffic behind me, self-important guy.

Still guessing the 4" gap was a hint to move the fuck up in the line.

Edited by slorch

22 minutes ago, slorch said:

There's no lateral traffic. It's a 100' long corral at the front of Marshalls or Maxx or whatever hellscape I was in and we were just about to the end of it. I moved up and that asshole immediately moved his cart right up on me. 

So, pretty please with sugar on top, Fuck. Off.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Careful. I know some Kevin’s that. Can kill gorillas.  22% at least

4 hours ago, slorch said:

" honoring the personal space"  LOlz.

Scoot your ass up so people can get out of the way.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Public or not, back off man. Line ain’t going any faster with you on my ass.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:28 AM, Sandman said:

Pick a tense, either tense, and stick with it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

More efficient than working the teller at the bank?

Yes, especially when the bitch can't reason worth a fuck.

On 2/3/2024 at 5:05 PM, slorch said:

Long time ago, I was on a lunch break in a "bad" part of town and stopped by a Bank of America to open a new account. I legitimately just wanted a spare 2nd account for ATM access to get "walking around money".  This 20 something whatever retail clerk could not break out of her NPC script.

"Hi I'd like to open a checking account.  Could you show me the options you have and the fee schedule"

What would you like to use the account for?

"For basic checking. e.g. To use ATMs.  Do you have a brochure?"

Sure, but first let me ask something, how often do you plan to deposit money into it.

"I dont know.  Occasionally.  This wont be my primary account.  Is there an account comparison I can look at?"

Around how much money will you regularly put into it?  (i can literally see she's walking through some sort of dialogue tree)

"Listen, can I just see like a table of the accounts you offer, if you have that?"

Sir, I have to ask you these questions.  This is how we do the procedure here.

"Really I just want to see if there's extra fees for services I might not use.  Do you have that information...?"

She brings a manager over.  He basically starts back from ground 0 with the same question again. 

I walk out.  Never touch BOA.. and never go to a bank in the hood

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Long time ago, I was on a lunch break in a "bad" part of town and stopped by a Bank of America to open a new account. I legitimately just wanted a spare 2nd account for ATM access to get "walking around money".  This 20 something whatever retail clerk could not break out of her NPC script.

"Hi I'd like to open a checking account.  Could you show me the options you have and the fee schedule"

Sure, but first let me ask something, how often do you plan to deposit money into it.

"I dont know.  Occasionally.  This wont be my primary account.  Is there an account comparison I can look at?"

Around how much money will you regularly put into it?  (i can literally see she's walking through some sort of dialogue tree)

"Listen, can I just see like a table of the accounts you offer, if you have that?"

"Really I just want to see if there's extra fees for services I might not use.  Do you have that information...?"

She brings a manager over.  He basically starts back from ground 0 with the same question again. 

Had a very similar experience w/ BOA when my ex-fiance and I went to open a joint checking account a few years ago.  I didn't have an account there but she did.  Went through a lot of the same shit and I ended up walking.  So fucking frustrating. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Hospital bedside tables. - why is it that with 4 wheel, only 2 of them pivot & it often seems that actually 3 of the 4 don't swivel?

I read recently that the United States crossed a threshold recently.  We now use the majority (50% + 1) of all tennis balls for things other than tennis.  Mainly for dog play and to put on the back legs of medically issued walkers.  Which is weird to me that we can't figure out how to get hospital tables and hospital walkers to work without fucking sporting equipment.  You'd think we'd have jumped on that innovation opportunity decades ago.  But nope, the fucking tables don't move right and we still buy tennis balls for our aging parent's walkers.  

11 hours ago, Ignatius said:

More efficient than working the teller at the bank?

I actually walked into a bank branch again the other day just  to see what it was like in there now and to cash some class-action check my wife got from Apple.  I had the deposit slip all filled out from the wife and I was gonna grab a $10 bill to have some baller walking around money on me.  I was the only human customer inside the branch.  And it took her probably a solid 7 minutes to complete the transaction.  I had to use my debit card and PIN (which I can never remember).  Show my ID to prove that I was JTWROS on my wife's account (we've been banking there for 20 fucking years).  And then she had to get a manager with a key to open up the fucking cash drawer.  For a $92 deposit and $10 cash back........7 minutes.  In a $35/ft NNN building with 6 employees earning on average $75,000/year.  Obviously I'll use the ATM auto deposit or the app next time, but I hadn't been inside this particular branch in a long while.  I was just stunned.  I mean good for her for making a nice living doing absolutely nothing, but it gets passed down to me eventually in higher fees on my HELOC.  What in the fuck are we still doing opening up urban bank branches?  

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I'd have lost my shit with her and the manager both.

I banked with BOA from the early 90s until about 2003 and they were great. From everything I've heard the last several years they have really fell off the cliff.

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I read recently that the United States crossed a threshold recently.  We now use the majority (50% + 1) of all tennis balls for things other than tennis.  Mainly for dog play and to put on the back legs of medically issued walkers.  Which is weird to me that we can't figure out how to get hospital tables and hospital walkers to work without fucking sporting equipment.  You'd think we'd have jumped on that innovation opportunity decades ago.  But nope, the fucking tables don't move right and we still buy tennis balls for our aging parent's walkers.  

I actually walked into a bank branch again the other day just  to see what it was like in there now and to cash some class-action check my wife got from Apple.  I had the deposit slip all filled out from the wife and I was gonna grab a $10 bill to have some baller walking around money on me.  I was the only human customer inside the branch.  And it took her probably a solid 7 minutes to complete the transaction.  I had to use my debit card and PIN (which I can never remember).  Show my ID to prove that I was JTWROS on my wife's account (we've been banking there for 20 fucking years).  And then she had to get a manager with a key to open up the fucking cash drawer.  For a $92 deposit and $10 cash back........7 minutes.  In a $35/ft NNN building with 6 employees earning on average $75,000/year.  Obviously I'll use the ATM auto deposit or the app next time, but I hadn't been inside this particular branch in a long while.  I was just stunned.  I mean good for her for making a nice living doing absolutely nothing, but it gets passed down to me eventually in higher fees on my HELOC.  What in the fuck are we still doing opening up urban bank branches?  

Kind of like the worst service you’ll ever get in a restaurant is mid-afternoon when nobody’s there….

• Rage+1 1

Fair comparison.   But I drive by this branch on Enfield at opening, sometimes at lunch, sometimes on Fridays at 5, many Saturdays.  And there’s just never anybody there except maybe a car or two in the ATM line.  They shut down all their drive- thru lanes.  It’s a $3mm+ lot that is basically just a cash station and one dude hoping you’ll stumble inside today to rollover an IRA.  They’re dead and they don’t fucking know it yet

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Fair comparison.   But I drive by this branch on Enfield at opening, sometimes at lunch, sometimes on Fridays at 5, many Saturdays.  And there’s just never anybody there except maybe a car or two in the ATM line.  They shut down all their drive- thru lanes.  It’s a $3mm+ lot that is basically just a cash station and one dude hoping you’ll stumble inside today to rollover an IRA.  They’re dead and they don’t fucking know it yet

Something something downtown Austin post office?

25 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The blockbuster of the 2020s. 

• Like 1

And as irony would have it, they make most of their money in late fees and the lobby has an actual popcorn machine.  Bizarre business plan in terms of real estate.  

They’re a year away from being nothing but multi-million dollar pad sites you drive past to get the time and temperature if you accidentally forgot your phone at home.  

Dateline: ~2010 (or something like that)

Go in to cash a customer check for something like $ 6,000⁰⁰.

Teller : Oh, if you [with a check written against WF] do not have a WF account, you will need to see one of our banker associates 1st.

Me, knowing there will be a $ 4.00... maybe $ 7.00 fee: "Sure, let's move along here & gitt-er done."

"Banker associate": "Hi, so..." looks @ I.D., looks @ check, reviews payee info on computer... then spends 5 minutes asking me all sorts of script questions that are supposed to induce me to open an account & on every turn, I politely say "No, thanks... only here to cash this today so I can pay my crew.

No.

Nope.

Nyet.

Nah.

Nu - uh.

No - no - no...

Really, I simply need to cash it so my crew can get paid; they are waiting."

Eventually she says "Well... maybe you should just go & cash this with YOUR bank as I'm not going to be able to assist you."

& I find another WF branch that is maybe 1½ ~ 2 miles up the road & while I still had to "see the banker associate", this one accepted my 2 "No" answers & then walked me to the front of the line & handled everything smoove.

I may have even posted that tale back on Shag¹.

23 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Hospital bedside tables. - why is it that with 4 wheels, only 2 of them pivot & it often seems that actually 3 of the 4 don't swivel?

Or Ikea shopping carts that have 4 swiveling wheels. Seems like I spend 95% of my energy keeping it going straight, and the remaining making it go forward.

11 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Teller : Oh, if you [with a check written against WF] do not have a WF account, you will need to see one of our banker associates 1st.

Me, knowing there will be a $ 4.00... maybe $ 7.00 fee: "Sure, let's move along here & gitt-er done."

"Banker associate": "Hi, so..." looks @ I.D., looks @ check, reviews payee info on computer... then spends 5 minutes asking me all sorts of script questions that are supposed to induce me to open an account & on every turn, I politely say "No, thanks... only here to cash this today so I can pay my crew.

No.

Nope.

Nyet.

Nah.

Nu - uh.

No - no - no...

Eventually she says "Well... maybe you should just go & cash this with YOUR bank as I'm not going to be able to assist you."

& I find another WF branch that is maybe 1½ ~ 2 miles up the road & while I still had to "see the banker associate", this one accepted my 2 "No" answers & then walked me to the front of the line & handled everything smoove.

after this they probably thought ' fuck it, we'll just make the accounts on our own'

https://corpgov.law.harvard.edu/2019/02/06/the-wells-fargo-cross-selling-scandal-2/

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 5:57 PM, ROFL BOX said:

No.

Nope.

Nyet.

Nah.

Nu - uh.

No - no - no...

Even though you said no, you had a couple of new monthly account charges going forward.  It's the least they could do( during that time.)

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Every single person that lives in the general New Orleans area…why can you not just fucking drive like normal people???? And I live in the goddamn Houston area. 

I’ve driven on 5 continents, in some of the lowest-developed countries in the world. They all have bad traffic, and all have bad manners in traffic. In most of those countries, signs and limits are purely decoration. 
But once you get used to the informal rules of the road in any of those countries, they’re fairly predictable and you can be reasonably safe. 

IMHO, the problem in Houston (lived there for 20 years) is that people from all those countries, plus ignorant Americans, are thrown together with no common understanding of what the informal rules are. They all try to use the informal rules from wherever they came from, but all of those informal rules are different. You have no idea if the guy approaching from a cross street is going to respect the sign or traffic signal. You have no idea what the expectations are for merging. It’s a complete crapshow. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Every single person that lives in the general New Orleans area…why can you not just fucking drive like normal people???? And I live in the goddamn Houston area. 

Try driving in Mexico, it will make NO seem like heaven.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nnm said:

I’ve driven on 5 continents, in some of the lowest-developed countries in the world. They all have bad traffic, and all have bad manners in traffic. In most of those countries, signs and limits are purely decoration. 
But once you get used to the informal rules of the road in any of those countries, they’re fairly predictable and you can be reasonably safe. 

IMHO, the problem in Houston (lived there for 20 years) is that people from all those countries, plus ignorant Americans, are thrown together with no common understanding of what the informal rules are. They all try to use the informal rules from wherever they came from, but all of those informal rules are different. You have no idea if the guy approaching from a cross street is going to respect the sign or traffic signal. You have no idea what the expectations are for merging. It’s a complete crapshow. 

This also applies to Miami.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nnm said:

I have been to over 30 different countries. The only countries that I feel confident driving In consistently is the UK and Australia. China and India are a hard “no”.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I have been to over 30 different countries. The only countries that I feel confident driving In consistently is the UK and Australia. China and India are a hard “no”.

Yes. I only drive outside of the US if I absolutely have to.