Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

56 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

When the fuck did people stop enunciating the letter "T" in their speech.

I want to go Loudermilk on these people about a half dozen times a day. 

Motherfucker, it's pronounced "but-ton", not "buh-un".

Rage GIF

Buh-un your lips, motherfucker! 

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2024 at 3:07 PM, mininghorn88 said:

We have electronic message boards throughout our facility with various information scrolling like a slide show.  Every month the company displays the names of the individuals that are celebrating work anniversaries or are having birthdays in the given month.  There are quite a few people that work here that goes by their middle name and not their first name.  The message board only displays their first and last name.  Without fail, each month there are multiple people on the board that has their first name listed but not the name that they commonly go by.  I get it if the employee has worked here less than 3 to 5 years but some of the people up there are 20 to 40 plus year employees.  How hard is it to actually personalize the message?

Somewhere some HR jockey told them that it would help people feel like they are appreciated to see their names scroll across, only the little box-checker doing the work has not a clue that Daniel down in Shipping actually goes by Fred because his dad had the same name.

My other favorite is some rando in the company wishing me happy birthday.  Bitch you don’t know shit about me, how many kids I have, or what my sports teams are.  Go ease your conscience somewhere else.  You’re not involved with your team but doing that inane exercise.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

The one that has been getting me lately is semis getting over into the left lane with little or no notice because there is a vehicle stopped ahead on the right shoulder, even if the vehicle is well clear of the road.  I can't tell you how many times I've had to jam on the brakes to avoid getting smashed when a truck does this.  Yes, I understand that they do it for "safety" reasons, but it pretty much defeats the purpose of a safety measure when you create another unsafe situation by doing it.  

Yeah, this does seem to be getting more prevalent as of late.  I don't know if it's the lower safety training standards of truck drivers due to demand (I know, I know...nobody under 50 in this country wants to work anymore).  Our drivers' safety record is an industry gold standard, but I've noticed other fleets pull this shit because nobody trains them otherwise.  I get it in blind turns or hilly areas but there's no excuse for it on fucking IH-10 or some shit.  

I take great joy in showing my kids when we're traveling trucking protocol like flashing your brights to let them know it's okay to merge in front and then they tap their lights as well as a thank-you.  And I also have to remember not beep or flip off a driver.  I've been stealing a line from Wayne on "Letterkenny" lately with shitty drivers, both passenger cars and trucks alike and I used it again yesterday.  I had dropped by daughter off at dance rehearsal and was it was a shitshow rush hour.  I'm just politely passing through this congested as fuck parking lot.  And a delivery truck is backing out of an angled spot going the wrong way.  Didn't yield to me and going the wrong direction.  I had my windows down anyway as it was a nice day.  He immediately looks out his window with a "come at me bro" look on his face and expecting me to give him the finger so he can do something stupid.  But I gave him a thumbs up and yelled, "You're doing terrific."  He was totally caught off guard and I really enjoyed the look on his face.  He probably ran over a dog later out of confused anger, but I enjoyed the moment.  

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Rage GIF

One of the anchors on Fox7 does this crap and drives me bonkers.  Along with "I axed them..."

• Hook 'Em 2

How about when you do the nice thing in traffic, and let someone in (it's a steady line of traffic, and they need to turn in/enter it from a side/cross street).  You do the polite thing, letting them into traffic right in front of you.....and then they proceed to drive below the speed limit when traffic starts moving again.  

Nope, nope, nope.  I let you in fucker, now you play by the same rules as everyone else.  Get moving.  What a dick move -- someone does you a favor, and you immediately delay their day.  I laid on the damned horn pretty quickly.  I have no patience for selfish bad manners.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 2/12/2024 at 3:07 PM, mininghorn88 said:

We have electronic message boards throughout our facility with various information scrolling like a slide show.  Every month the company displays the names of the individuals that are celebrating work anniversaries or are having birthdays in the given month.  There are quite a few people that work here that goes by their middle name and not their first name.  The message board only displays their first and last name.  Without fail, each month there are multiple people on the board that has their first name listed but not the name that they commonly go by.  I get it if the employee has worked here less than 3 to 5 years but some of the people up there are 20 to 40 plus year employees.  How hard is it to actually personalize the message?

Wouldn’t that require some Linda in HR to do something productive? Clearly just pulling from the HR system that uses legal names. 

I spoke to "woman" last as part of a survey for work that was done at my house recently.  I swear her voice was something akin to what AI would come up with for its version of a twenty something with vocal fry.  It was so over the top I couldn't believe I was actually talking to a person.  I am still not sure it was a person.  I had to restrain myself several time from either yelling at the phone ' ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!?!?!?' or just hanging up.  I was never so relieved to get off a phone call.  I guess I could have just hung up but my desire to get this over with was a bit greater.

• Haha 1

How about when you do the nice thing in traffic, and let someone in (it's a steady line of traffic, and they need to turn in/enter it from a side/cross street).  You do the polite thing, letting them into traffic right in front of you.....and then they proceed to drive below the speed limit when traffic starts moving again.  
Nope, nope, nope.  I let you in fucker, now you play by the same rules as everyone else.  Get moving.  What a dick move -- someone does you a favor, and you immediately delay their day.  I laid on the damned horn pretty quickly.  I have no patience for selfish bad manners.

You’ve met humans before, right?

Anything in the house that unnecessarily makes noise.  The parents have a grandfather clock and a cuckoo clock that compete with each other for your attention every hour.  They have a landline phone that robotically announces the name of the caller when the phone rings in an annoying robotic voice.  This is making me surly today because I was at their house yesterday to install their Ring doorbell so they can have something else to make noise, and we had a perfect symphony of Westminster chimes, cuckoos, WIRELESS CALLER, and the ring doorbell while I was making sure it worked.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Anything in the house that unnecessarily makes noise.  The parents have a grandfather clock and a cuckoo clock that compete with each other for your attention every hour.  They have a landline phone that robotically announces the name of the caller when the phone rings in an annoying robotic voice.  This is making me surly today because I was at their house yesterday to install their Ring doorbell so they can have something else to make noise, and we had a perfect symphony of Westminster chimes, cuckoos, WIRELESS CALLER, and the ring doorbell while I was making sure it worked.

Not only in the house but fucking anywhere.

Like a co-worker constantly clicking their pen for no reason.

Someone smacking while eating with their mouths open.

Someone smacking gum and popping bubbles. (I will kill you if you do this around me)

A rice rocket car driving down my street. I can hear it for miles after they leave.

Now get off my fucking lawn.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The parents have a grandfather clock and a cuckoo clock that compete with each other for your attention every hour.

We have a clock in the living room that doesn't chime but it makes a sound, seemingly every 5 seconds or so, that sounds like a dripping faucet. The first time I heard it I thought we might have a plumbing problem but no, it's just this fucking clock. 

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Same same but different but still the same is every thing now has a little red light on it. And somewhere along the line, the extension cords went from one little red light to one little red light and two green lights. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Same same but different but still the same is every thing now has a little red light on it. And somewhere along the line, the extension cords went from one little red light to one little red light and two green lights. 

A little square of electrical tape over that little light works really well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/14/2024 at 2:43 PM, Guadaloopy said:

Rage GIF

Maybe they’re from Bal’more. 

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

Maybe they’re from Bal’more. 

I'm sorry, are you saying "Water?"

"Yeah."

Then why are you pronouncing it "War-der"?  

Look man, I'm a Ravens fan.  I got their jersey on and everything.  I will fucking cut you.

This totally tracks.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Even worse is letting someone in when you’re in the right lane of a divided street, only to realize the motherfucker is immediately going to sit there and try and get 3 lanes to the left to turn left at the next light.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Rage GIF

MY GOD THIS

Wri-tt-en not wrih-uhn

Not trivial but I just read an article about about some hikers showing the damage caused by turons at Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. One of the things mentioned was how many idiots were carving their names, initials or school names in the trunks of trees. 

I would bet that a particular school in Brazos County is one of the offenders.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Fixed for me

Call you what?

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Not trivial but I just read an article about about some hikers showing the damage caused by turons at Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. One of the things mentioned was how many idiots were carving their names, initials or school names in the trunks of trees. 

Link?

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I would bet that a particular school in Brazos County is one of the offenders.

Call you what?

Call me Maybe

• Rage+1 1

People don’t wave anymore as a courtesy sign or respect when you let them in or pull over on a residential street to let them pass parked cars first. I do the wave and they don’t even wave back anymore. Like fuck you too I’m trying to acknowledge you being a slightly decent person and it’s too hard for you to acknowledge back?

I’m sure I’m not the first to say this on this thread, but I’m around 1 for 50 over the last couple months of wave acknowledgement and it’s making me surly.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Superhero said:

People who call me between 12PM and 1PM.

Not as much as people scheduling meetings between 12PM and 1PM.

But holy hell, this is the only time I can step away and not think about work (other than post on Surly). Leave me alone.

I signed up for some realty site to check prices of stuff down the street from my mom and these dickhead realtors call me a couple times every month or two at like 6 pm. 

Motherfucker - I'm not buying a house. And even if I was, don't fucking call me after I get off work. 

11 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

A dickhead FIL who decides to take his daughter for a trip on her birthday when he knows you had plans.

This would be a humblebrag in the wives thread. 

Rage GIF

most americans don't pronounce a T between vowels.  we use a tap or a flap. which is basically a D.  and yes, she spends a lot of time talking about D and pronouncing 'daddy'.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:20 AM, PvilleStang said:

One of the anchors on Fox7 does this crap and drives me bonkers.  Along with "I axed them..."

(speaking of the english language) you got a problem with chaucer?

(more)

On 2/15/2024 at 9:24 AM, conVINCEd said:

parents have a grandfather clock, wall clock, and table top clock, and each does the westminster chimes, and they aren't particularly synchronized.  watching movies late at night is a chore.  have to pause for two or three minutes and just wait it out.

On 2/12/2024 at 9:44 AM, Macanudo said:

Trucks shouldn't be allowed in the left lane at all.  2 lane, 3 lane, 4 lane.   Enough of that shit.   I spent a considerable amount of time on I-10 Saturday between El Paso and Houston driving behind semis in the left lane doing 65-70 in a 80 MPH zone.  

nominating macanudo for president and dictator for life.

Edited by elfenix
what the fuck when i post the video the preview is for pronunciation but the post is uzbeks
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

most americans don't pronounce a T between vowels.  we use a tap or a flap. which is basically a D.  and yes, she spends a lot of time talking about D and pronouncing 'daddy'.

(speaking of the english language) you got a problem with chaucer?

(more)

parents have a grandfather clock, wall clock, and table top clock, and each does the westminster chimes, and they aren't particularly synchronized.  watching movies late at night is a chore.  have to pause for two or three minutes and just wait it out.

nominating macanudo for president and dictator for life.

The cuckoo clock is the bane of my existence.  I hated that fucker when I was a Ute and I hate it now.  It is their cherished souvenir from a trip to Germany.   It broke several years ago to my great delight, and about 6 months ago they found someone to repair it.  When it and the grandfather clock are doing their thing at the same time it’s like listening to a polka band and a concert pianist having a duel.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The cuckoo clock is the bane of my existence.  I hated that fucker when I was a Ute and I hate it now.  It is their cherished souvenir from a trip to Germany.   It broke several years ago to my great delight, and about 6 months ago they found someone to repair it.  When it and the grandfather clock are doing their thing at the same time it’s like listening to a polka band and a concert pianist having a duel.

It could be worse.   One could play Boomer Sooner and the other one plays the Aggie War Hymn.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

16 hours ago, Okie State said:
20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Fixed for me

Or contact me in any way. Even if it's directly related to my job responsibilities. Fuck them.

I have my mom in town and my two female cousins (her nieces, who are like sisters to me) and they're still droning on and on about the lack of social connection during Covid.  And I certainly empathize with older folks and children that had that disconnect.  And I am sure I'll be exiled to die alone slowly on a desert island for decades.  But I simply have never understood, and I acknowledge nobody wants to be around me, the fascination humans have with being around people.  I mean, humblebrag and all, but I know some incredibly fascinating and intelligent and talented people, but why people feel the need to contact others or be contacted by them is fucking beyond me.  Is there something I'm missing?  I'm a philanthropic and giving person and engaged in supporting loved ones in any way I can but why do we have to talk to people all the time?  I mean, yeah it was kinda fun when phones were new and exciting and different.  But just what the fuck with human contact?  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I have my mom in town and my two female cousins (her nieces, who are like sisters to me) and they're still droning on and on about the lack of social connection during Covid.  And I certainly empathize with older folks and children that had that disconnect.  And I am sure I'll be exiled to die alone slowly on a desert island for decades.  But I simply have never understood, and I acknowledge nobody wants to be around me, the fascination humans have with being around people.  I mean, humblebrag and all, but I know some incredibly fascinating and intelligent and talented people, but why people feel the need to contact others or be contacted by them is fucking beyond me.  Is there something I'm missing?  I'm a philanthropic and giving person and engaged in supporting loved ones in any way I can but why do we have to talk to people all the time?  I mean, yeah it was kinda fun when phones were new and exciting and different.  But just what the fuck with human contact?  

Related:  5AM flight this morning.  2 different random pairs who just met on the plane, just yammering on about nothing important for 45min/ hour.

Small talk is a waste of time.  Hearing others do it is even more painful.   Shut your pie hole and stop droning on for crisake.

On 2/15/2024 at 9:08 AM, Brisketexan said:

Generally speaking, the people who depend on the benevolence of strangers in order to drive are usually the last ones you want to be behind. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slorch said:

Related:  5AM flight this morning.  2 different random pairs who just met on the plane, just yammering on about nothing important for 45min/ hour.

Small talk is a waste of time.  Hearing others do it is even more painful.   Shut your pie hole and stop droning on for crisake.

Noise-canceling earbuds/headphones are your friend.  Do NOT get on a plane w/out them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Some of you people sound like you need to live in a sensory deprivation tank.  One of my sisters is like that.  Any little noise sets her off.  When we all go up to the ranch for thanksgiving I always make sure to bring lots of squeaky toys for my dog.

Anxiety disorders are a bitch.  Be thankful you aren't afflicted.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Rage GIF

I've spoken like that since I was a little kid. Everyone else I grew up with does too. I've never met anyone who says "but-ton" and I'd probably laugh if I heard the T used twice like that.

• Hook 'Em 1