Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

19 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Wednesday birthdays are ass my dude.

Do you know how perpetual calendars work?  Every 6-8 years, everyone's birthday will fall on a Wednesday for an average of about ten per lifetime.  

A weird one in our family is my brother was born on 9/11, so it'll always be that date no matter the day of the week.  Same as my sister who was born on Independence Day.  I was born on Memorial Day, but it only hits my birthdate every 6-8 years.  My mother was born on Ash Wednesday, but of course that one moves around even more than mine because you gotta have a solstice, a full moon, and then count back 40 days or whatever the hell it is they do over there with the counting/non-counting of Sundays and Pentacost.  Apparently Jesus rose from the dead on 35 different dates from 22 March to 25 April.  That has to be exhausting.  

On 6/10/2024 at 12:09 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I find the Walmart experience uplifting.  It just reminds me that no matter how shitty I think my life is, it could always be worse

That’s how I feel after watching Requiem For A Dream…

49 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

That’s how I feel after watching Requiem For A Dream…

"Excuse me ma'am, in what aisle may I find the 'Ass-to-Ass' accessories?  Four, is it?  Got it, thank you."  

22 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Who ever thought white underwear should come in white

What other color could white underwear be?

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2nd battery to go out on my 2016 Tahoe.  Bought this one in 2020.  Car batteries only have 3 yr warranties?  Whatever happened to batteries that lasted 5-7 years?   

The increased Texas heat does a number on car batteries. My old truck is parked outside, so it gets brutal heat. It was killing a battery in under two years, repeatedly. I got a $30 solar powered trickle charger (plugs into either the AC outlet or clips directly onto the battery, small panel I set up on the truck roof), and it’s worked like a charm to keep the battery charged and not getting wiped out.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The increased Texas heat does a number on car batteries. My old truck is parked outside, so it gets brutal heat. It was killing a battery in under two years, repeatedly. I got a $30 solar powered trickle charger (plugs into either the AC outlet or clips directly onto the battery, small panel I set up on the truck roof), and it’s worked like a charm to keep the battery charged and not getting wiped out.

What kind did u get?

Slightly related to topic warning.

Family and I drove to Amarillo and back to have lunch with friends at the Big Texan.  (My wife and I are both teachers, which is why we can do stupid shit like this in the summer.)  Anyway, we just had to stop by the Cadillac Ranch.  I'm sorry, but that was one of the most dumbass things I've ever seen.  Yay.  Cars in the ground.  To make matters worse, you're apparently supposed to buy or bring spray paint and paint all over the GD property.  I'm no Greta Thornburg, but this just seemed so damaging and wasteful.  I don't get it.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, freyguy said:

2nd battery to go out on my 2016 Tahoe.  Bought this one in 2020.  Car batteries only have 3 yr warranties?  Whatever happened to batteries that lasted 5-7 years?   

I've never gotten more than 4 years out of a car battery. My old silverado and my wife's ford fusion and kia only lasted 4 years. 

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Who ever thought white underwear should come in white?

(Did not shart, but just saw an ad with tighty whities)

Same reason 90% of hotel linens are white, so you can bleach the hell out of it.  Are you new to laundry or what?  

I guess the boxer-briefs I like are never in white, but I still wash 'em on high heat.  But yeah, as a kid---tighty whities.  But to this day, we still buy white towels and sheets and pillowcases and all that.  You can't bleach 'em every time or they wear out so much faster.  But probably once every month or two.  I myself once dabbled in colorfully striped towels, Dude.  You're just postponing the inevitable.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Family and I drove to Amarillo and back to have lunch with friends at the Big Texan.  (My wife and I are both teachers, which is why we can do stupid shit like this in the summer.)  Anyway, we just had to stop by the Cadillac Ranch.  I'm sorry, but that was one of the most dumbass things I've ever seen.  Yay.  Cars in the ground.  To make matters worse, you're apparently supposed to buy or bring spray paint and paint all over the GD property.  I'm no Greta Thornburg, but this just seemed so damaging and wasteful.  I don't get it.

Man, you are correct that the Cadillac ranch is dumbest shit possible to be forced to stop at. Even worse in the morning when the smell of cow shit is at its highest. 

On 6/15/2024 at 12:20 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Did you finish the 72oz steak?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 6/15/2024 at 10:36 AM, Superhero said:

Who ever thought white underwear should come in white?

(Did not shart, but just saw an ad with tighty whities)

On 6/15/2024 at 12:31 PM, Superhero said:

In Texas and the Midwest, they should come in tactical camouflage as the standard. 

....so, "doo-doo brown"?

On 6/7/2024 at 7:25 AM, Superhero said:

My son’s smelly feet can clear a room. Maybe it’s because he’s really active and feet sweat a LOT, or there’s something else going on. It’s gotten to the point we’re embarrassed to have him go to friends’ houses.

We’ve tried disinfectants, arm and hammer “balls” filled with baking soda, washing each foot at lest 30 seconds each day, washing his shoes frequently, and trying out different types of socks…

I think we’ve achieved a stalemate with a combo of rotating 3-4 different pairs of shoes, antibacterial soap, new socks and washing his shoes using hydrogen peroxide.

Not sure how sustainable after he becomes responsible for it all. But damn, I’d rather smell poop than his shoes. 

Have him wear white socks all the time.

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Maybe not so trivial?

Dish Network recently went up to $162/month from $90. I called them several times in order to tr to lower the bill with no results and they didn't even seem interested in trying.

Then suddenly when I called to terminate service today, they could magically get it down to $48/mo.  Fucking thieves and con artists.

Dish is worse than the mafia.  When my mother died last year, they kept billing her for many months after she passed.  Despite having the death certificate.  Despite being told by registered letter and by telephone that she was dead.  They kept trying to get us to upgrade and extend service.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

24 minutes ago, nnm said:

Dish is worse than the mafia.  When my mother died last year, they kept billing her for many months after she passed.  Despite having the death certificate.  Despite being told by registered letter and by telephone that she was dead.  They kept trying to get us to upgrade and extend service.  

I have to keep reminding myself of this when I complain about streaming price hikes.  At least I can start/stop the service anytime without having to talk to anyone.   What a PITA that used to be.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Got sick the last 2 days of vacation, came back and felt like I got hit by a truck.

I slowly got better and went back to the office starting Wednesday and felt 90% by Friday. Weekend comes and goes, and now I feel like shit again. Not as bad as last week, but still coughing, hacking, etc.

I thought these things were supposed to just last a week.

22 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Got sick the last 2 days of vacation, came back and felt like I got hit by a truck.

I slowly got better and went back to the office starting Wednesday and felt 90% by Friday. Weekend comes and goes, and now I feel like shit again. Not as bad as last week, but still coughing, hacking, etc.

I thought these things were supposed to just last a week.

Ha, could have told you that! 

On 6/15/2024 at 12:20 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wait - driving from Dallas to Amarillo for lunch isn't a waist, but a can of spray paint is?????

Confused Dog GIF by MOODMAN

Also, I will take your Cadillac Ranch and raise you one "Crater of Diamonds" near Hot Springs.

Edited by Jameslaw121

45 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Wait - driving from Dallas to Amarillo for lunch isn't a waist, but a can of spray paint is?????

Confused Dog GIF by MOODMAN

Also, I will take your Cadillac Ranch and raise you one "Crater of Diamonds" near Hot Springs.

Cans.  Plural.  As in, several acres of land and road covered in spray paint.  They're not just spray painting the 6 or so cars buried in the ground.  The roads, the cornfields, the fences, the cars, hell, even the sign that said "It is illegal to mar or deface the property in this area." 

Uh oh.  Your sister-in-law will not stand for slings and arrows directed at Crater of the Diamonds State Park.  :)

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

The grocery store. I’ve never come across people so god damn inefficient that don’t seem to have anything else to do in their lives. Both staff and customers. Go you fucking fucks!  Gooooo!!!!!

Chill dude. I’m checking the surl.  Some ahole is complaining about people in grocery lines. 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Maybe not so trivial?

Dish Network recently went up to $162/month from $90. I called them several times in order to tr to lower the bill with no results and they didn't even seem interested in trying.

Then suddenly when I called to terminate service today, they could magically get it down to $48/mo.  Fucking thieves and con artists.

Cut the cord brah

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Having to do onboarding stuff before my first day of work

Does this the follow up to your other post?

My prodigious appetite for alcohol has made me absurdly popular in many of my jobs but has also painted me as a loose cannon

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The grocery store. I’ve never come across people so god damn inefficient that don’t seem to have anything else to do in their lives. Both staff and customers. Go you fucking fucks!  Gooooo!!!!!

I love almost everything about HEB except their baggers.  I have to tell them to put the frozen and refrigerated items in the insulated bags, separate soap and bug spray from produce, and not bag bread under or next to canned foods.  Do the only hire morons for bagging?  Do they not train them?

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The trick to getting your groceries bagged correctly is to put them on the conveyor belt in the order that they should be bagged.  It’s your fault the groceries aren’t getting bagged correctly.

This

I always unload the basket with items I want bagged together.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wait, I thought you were supposed to take creeper pics at HEB and post them in IPIHB or something.  This ain't 'Nam...

I love almost everything about HEB except their baggers.  I have to tell them to put the frozen and refrigerated items in the insulated bags, separate soap and bug spray from produce, and not bag bread under or next to canned foods.  Do the only hire morons for bagging?  Do they not train them?
My biggest gripe with HEB baggers is how many damn bags they waste. Some bags have one single item and many more items could fit in there. Such a waste.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The trick to getting your groceries bagged correctly is to put them on the conveyor belt in the order that they should be bagged.  It’s your fault the groceries aren’t getting bagged correctly.

Nope.  I put the items on the conveyor in the right order, even grouped together as they should be bagged.  If I don't stand on top of the bagger and tell them exactly what to do, they screw it up.  Every damn time.  I have started just bagging my stuff myself.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Nope.  I put the items on the conveyor in the right order, even grouped together as they should be bagged.  If I don't stand on top of the bagger and tell them exactly what to do, they screw it up.  Every damn time.  I have started just bagging my stuff myself.

Have you tried getting a hobby?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1