Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

Looking at AirBNBs that have a pool for a family getaway, and wading (pun intended) through stupid listings that think a metal "cowboy" trough is a damn pool.

I'm surprised the listing service let them get away with that.  One of our neighbors built a 'casita' that they want to rent out in the summers (big mistake in Austin, nobody comes here in July/August).  Anyway, they listed it as having a "lap" pool.  The pool is at its longest point, 30'.  And that's into a staircase.  That's not a lap pool, it's just a pool.  

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'm surprised the listing service let them get away with that.  One of our neighbors built a 'casita' that they want to rent out in the summers (big mistake in Austin, nobody comes here in July/August).  Anyway, they listed it as having a "lap" pool.  The pool is at its longest point, 30'.  And that's into a staircase.  That's not a lap pool, it's just a pool.  

Yep, it's not the homeowners issue.

I sent AirBNB a "fix your shit" message because it became so absurd. At least 80 listings that popped up and maybe 5 had an actual pool.

As for your neighbors, they're doing themselves a disservice listing it as a "lap pool." I'm sure many more people just want a dipping pool anyway just to hang out and cool off, vs. a "lap pool."

• Like 1

He’s a homebuilder by trade so I think it’s just in his bones to exaggerate by nature.  Kinda like the realtor who insists every listing is “just minutes from downtown.”  Yeah, that used to work in Austin before google maps and we became the fastest growing big city in the nation.  

Large, multi-levelparking garages not in the CBD which, in their best day are 25% of capacity.  Just giant radiators is all they serve as

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Look on youtube for a dead pixel fixer. A long one. Then set it to auto-repeat. 

Let it run overnight. 

May work, but may not if it’s real bad. May take more than one night, too. 

It's not dead pixels, it's just acrobat fucking up. Killing acrobat gets rid of it. 

At work our office restrooms were completely renovated and I just had to use one for the first time. The new toilets are installed so ridiculously low, it's like squatting on the fucking floor. It's a beating for my fucking back and knees just to get up off the thing.

The new sinks and countertops are shit too. The countertop is really low, and the sinks are not close to the front edge, so you have to lean way forward and down to get your hands under the faucet. If I'm designing or installing commercial sinks in a men's bathroom it seems like common sense that the countertop & sink should be high enough so that an average height man can stand at the fucking sink and use it without throwing out his fucking back. Also, they put in those fucking faucets that you have to hold down either the hot or cold knob to keep the water flowing.

Why does everything get shittier instead of better?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

At work our office restrooms were completely renovated and I just had to use one for the first time. The new toilets are installed so ridiculously low, it's like squatting on the fucking floor. It's a beating for my fucking back and knees just to get up off the thing.

The new sinks and countertops are shit too. The countertop is really low, and the sinks are not close to the front edge, so you have to lean way forward and down to get your hands under the faucet. If I'm designing or installing commercial sinks in a men's bathroom it seems like common sense that the countertop & sink should be high enough so that an average height man can stand at the fucking sink and use it without throwing out his fucking back. Also, they put in those fucking faucets that you have to hold down either the hot or cold knob to keep the water flowing.

That sounds like an elementary school restroom with the low toilets and hold-down faucets.

Are you sure you’re supposed to be there as a grown man?

IMG_4048.thumb.jpeg.705c2c78c14e71cdcf68e80d73cb30ca.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

That sounds like an elementary school restroom with the low toilets and hold-down faucets.

That's just it... He can't have a seat without hurting his back. 

Also, obligatory... 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

You work at a daycare, don't you?  Just please refrain from taking a giant dump in the training potties.  Your coworkers thank you, kindly.

So our aggy numb-nuts neighbor keeps taking his golf cart onto our NEWLY re-sodded neighborhood park so his teenage kids can practice football.  We just paid to renovate the park and put down new sod, and weeks later he's driving his cart through the grass and parking it in the middle of the damn park.  You'd think an aggy would have enough PTSD to stay the f off the grass, but no...

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

I spoke too soon. We just moved offices and I took a dump for the first time in the new space. The seat was lower than at the old office, and even lower than the ones at home.

It’s not quite squatty potty low, but I expect things to go more smoothly here. 

[Putting a silver lining around a shitty situation]

Edited by Superhero
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Reading in your avatar's voice enhances this post even more. 10/10. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We now live out in the country in ETX, on a small private lake. The fenced-in area of the backyard is about 2 acres. Grass and post oak trees mainly. 

I have a guy cut the grass every two weeks or so. Great guy, former firefighter, has his own small business. We have an agreement. When he encounters a copperhead, he tells me but does NOT tell Mrs. NNM, because what she doesn’t know about that subject won’t hurt her. Every month or so, he calls me and lets me know that he ran over/killed one somewhere in the back. 

He had a new guy helping him yesterday. Mrs. NNM goes out to pay the main guy, and new guy yells over “hey, we killed two copperheads for ya!  Over between your A/C units and the fire pit!”

Mrs. NNM called me within minutes: “I’m selling the house!  I don’t care about anything in it!  I’m leaving!”  I’m in Co. Springs visiting granddaughter NNM and had to do the damage control from here. 

She’s calmed down now, but that was an unnecessary bit of drama. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

The worlds GAF limit was hit in 2020.  It will take a decade for enough business pressure to build where GAF is brought back into business models.

1 hour ago, nnm said:

We now live out in the country in ETX, on a small private lake. The fenced-in area of the backyard is about 2 acres. Grass and post oak trees mainly. 

I have a guy cut the grass every two weeks or so. Great guy, former firefighter, has his own small business. We have an agreement. When he encounters a copperhead, he tells me but does NOT tell Mrs. NNM, because what she doesn’t know about that subject won’t hurt her. Every month or so, he calls me and lets me know that he ran over/killed one somewhere in the back. 

He had a new guy helping him yesterday. Mrs. NNM goes out to pay the main guy, and new guy yells over “hey, we killed two copperheads for ya!  Over between your A/C units and the fire pit!”

Mrs. NNM called me within minutes: “I’m selling the house!  I don’t care about anything in it!  I’m leaving!”  I’m in Co. Springs visiting granddaughter NNM and had to do the damage control from here. 

FNG

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

So our aggy numb-nuts neighbor keeps taking his golf cart onto our NEWLY re-sodded neighborhood park so his teenage kids can practice football.  We just paid to renovate the park and put down new sod, and weeks later he's driving his cart through the grass and parking it in the middle of the damn park.  You'd think an aggy would have enough PTSD to stay the f off the grass, but no...

These are your friend. Just in his yard or driveway.

image.jpeg.f20799039e3118e7c490e4b156d11506.jpeg

19 hours ago, nnm said:

Tell you are on it and order one of these.

image.jpeg.f2b36a8b749fb66997f06691aa359800.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

• 2 weeks later...

WAY BEYOND SURLY at this one.

I had a lull between my projects so I volunteered to help a team in another part of the country (not Seattle) with their project. Bid date was 08/19 (Who the fuck bids a project on Monday?)

Anyway, had to book 2 trips, go there on Tuesday, come back on Friday to attend my wife's grandmother's funeral, fly back on Sunday and leave Monday.

Now the bid date is pushed to 08/26 (Who the fuck bids a project on Monday?). My initial thought was to keep everything the same, but push it back a week. But I turn 50 on the 21st, and there's no fucking way I spend my birthday alone in another city.

I've told their division president I'll get there Thursday. We'll see what happens. But this whole work thing is really cramping my lifestyle. 

• Like 2

On 6/1/2024 at 4:32 PM, Brisketexan said:

The name of the small shopping center on Burnet Road: “Casa Plaza.” It’s from the 60s, I’m sure, but clearly they just took two Spanish words and said “there, that’s a name.”

image.png

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

My favorite is a new development, clear cut, called the oaks or meadows or some shit like that.

I hate when they name a new subdivision after a fictional place. Like, you can call this neighborhood "Rivendell", but it doesn't look anything like it does in the movies. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not fucking trivial. Why do smoke alarm batteries only go out at 4am?  And of course I can’t find any 9 volts in the whole house so now I just have to put the pillow over my head while it chirps the rest of the night. 

I'm sure if you give your husband a little rub he'd be happy to unhook it until morning.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not fucking trivial. Why do smoke alarm batteries only go out at 4am?  And of course I can’t find any 9 volts in the whole house so now I just have to put the pillow over my head while it chirps the rest of the night. 

"You might be urban if..."

image3932954.jpg

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

I'm sure if you give your husband a little rub he'd be happy to unhook it until morning.

Oh you’re still here?  Don’t you have some conspiracy theories and dumb right wing memes to post?

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

image3932954.jpg

No smoke alarms in the country?

5 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Also, the pickleball players who put down painters tape on the tennis court that's marked clearly "FOR TENNIS USE ONLY".  And F the moms that open the gate so their kids can bike and skate on the tennis court.

Huge issue in my hood.  Ebikers fucking shit up 

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Huge issue in my hood.  Ebikers fucking shit up 

Piano wire might be your friend.

Clients who want you to act like you are a full time person when you are an all call SME. Change your email signature, provide headshots, all that shit. Bitch, I am a 1099 and you don't pay my health insurance. You want me to pretend I am full time? Well pay me like I am.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Also, the pickleball players who put down painters tape on the tennis court that's marked clearly "FOR TENNIS USE ONLY".  And F the moms that open the gate so their kids can bike and skate on the tennis court.

Move the tape around so that the pickleball dimensions are all fucked up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Piano wire might be your friend.

I know this is in jest but do not do this. Asshole dad of a very good buddy of mine in elementary school didn’t like the dirtbike kid riding in the vacant land behind their house. So he strung wire across it. Dirtbike kid died and dad went to prison. True story.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Battery voltage drops with ambient temperature. Ambient temps drop to their low point late in the night, coincidentally when you are having your best wet dreams.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Battery voltage drops with ambient temperature. Ambient temps drop to their low point late in the night, coincidentally when you are having your best wet dreams.

I’ve been replacing them all with the “10 year” 9v batts. We shall see if that puts it off a bit longer. 

17 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I know this is in jest but do not do this. Asshole dad of a very good buddy of mine in elementary school didn’t like the dirtbike kid riding in the vacant land behind their house. So he strung wire across it. Dirtbike kid died and dad went to prison. True story.

th?id=OIP.piOgooYBjjtDHs6tA5R8yAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

• Like 1

Less makes me surly and more very confused.

I was at a diner by my house today and someone came in upset that the delivery was wrong. I overheard the cashier saying "Oh we had two Sam's and he took your food and you got his food, blah blah."

It got me thinking, and I don't understand the appeal or desire to order food and have it delivered to your house with one of these apps. Door Dash, Uber Eats, GrubHub, etc. et al.

For me it's not simply the finances, though by the time you finish paying the service fees, delivery fees, junk fees, you are paying a minimum of 50% more and in some cases even more.

For me it's more of getting your food when it's less than fresh. No food does well put in hot and let to steam itself in a styrofoam container. You get the benefit of soggy food, lukewarm, and the great forever chemicals you get to ingest from the hot food on styrofoam. That is if you even get your food order correct.

What am I missing? If you can order it for delivery, you can surely throw on some gym shorts and a shirt and some crocs and drive yourself to pick it up yourself at a minimum, right?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 5:08 AM, 52-80 said:

image3932954.jpg

On 8/14/2024 at 7:35 AM, Biff Tannen said:

No smoke alarms in the country?

There is a long running stereotype that black people never change their fire alarm batteries and just live with the chirping. After watching viral videos from a few black creators I can confirm this is absolutely true.

6 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

I was at a diner by my house today and someone came in upset that the delivery was wrong. I overheard the cashier saying "Oh we had two Sam's and he took your food and you got his food, blah blah."

It got me thinking, and I don't understand the appeal or desire to order food and have it delivered to your house with one of these apps. Door Dash, Uber Eats, GrubHub, etc. et al.

For me it's not simply the finances, though by the time you finish paying the service fees, delivery fees, junk fees, you are paying a minimum of 50% more and in some cases even more.

For me it's more of getting your food when it's less than fresh. No food does well put in hot and let to steam itself in a styrofoam container. You get the benefit of soggy food, lukewarm, and the great forever chemicals you get to ingest from the hot food on styrofoam. That is if you even get your food order correct.

What am I missing? If you can order it for delivery, you can surely throw on some gym shorts and a shirt and some crocs and drive yourself to pick it up yourself at a minimum, right?

We are lazy as fuck and furthermore, I'll add an old man yelling at clouds analogy, though I think it's more of a "holy fuck" analogy:

Recently, my wife had an employee who was college age.  This employee would order Chik Fila breakfast via the app every morning and go pick it up.  When the AT&T cellular outage happened a few months ago (where no one's phone/internet worked for like half a day), she told me that instead of just walking into Chik Fila to get her breakfast, the employee literally went without breakfast.  Because she didn't know how to interact with human beings inside a restaurant and order food face to face.  She would rather STARVE than figure out how to do something without her phone.

Yeah.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Drunk/high folk being safe. That’s what you are missing.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tigol said:

Drunk/high folk being safe. That’s what you are missing.

I can see paying a premium to be safe from getting on the roads when inebriated, touche.

However, woe to the drunk and high person at 10:30am in the middle of a work day, which was my experience.

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

We are lazy as fuck and furthermore, I'll add an old man yelling at clouds analogy, though I think it's more of a "holy fuck" analogy:

Recently, my wife had an employee who was college age.  This employee would order Chik Fila breakfast via the app every morning and go pick it up.  When the AT&T cellular outage happened a few months ago (where no one's phone/internet worked for like half a day), she told me that instead of just walking into Chik Fila to get her breakfast, the employee literally went without breakfast.  Because she didn't know how to interact with human beings inside a restaurant and order food face to face.  She would rather STARVE than figure out how to do something without her phone.

Yeah.

A Chick-fil-A that doesn't have a drive-through?  Or would that be too much human interaction?

17 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

She would rather STARVE than figure out how to do something without her phone.

I know two people who have had recent college grads come to job interviews with their parents in tow. One mother couldn't understand why she wasn't allowed in the interview with her adult child. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, Native Horn said:

A Chick-fil-A that doesn't have a drive-through?  Or would that be too much human interaction?

Apparently. 

43 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I know two people who have had recent college grads come to job interviews with their parents in tow. One mother couldn't understand why she wasn't allowed in the interview with her adult child. 

This shit is bonkers. And I mostly blame the parents. They should fucking know better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/15/2024 at 3:39 PM, Vegas64 said:

How is this any different than picking the food up yourself?