Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

I was rushing so didn't look at the route options on Apple Maps to get from my house to LA. Just talked Siri and went on my way.

The fucking app took me on a tour of LA area freeways.

I could have taken my usual route and be there in about the same amount of time (maybe even quicker).

Fucking merchants never identify themselves correctly on credit statements and there’s no other useful metadata to support it. 

Once awhile I see what looks like random shit (like today something from “Voi DE”) and 99.8% after some investigation it turns out to be legit.

If merchants dont want people contesting their charge maybe they should identify themselves better. 

• Rage+1 3

On 9/29/2024 at 12:42 AM, Superhero said:

People changing lanes on the freeway at full speed.

I drive fast, but am a grandpa when changing lanes because I'm always worried someone will change into the same lane as me. Just to confirm my paranoia, I was merging from the slow lane to the middle lane, when a full size pickup truck came blazing out of the HOV lane, crossed 3 lanes of traffic and out the exit. I had to slam on my brakes and swerve back into the slow lane or else we would have collided.

Maybe 5 minutes later, I was ready to exit the freeway into downtown LA. Let's just say the highway design in DTLA makes I-35 look genius - the 2 right lanes are for cars trying to get onto and off the freeway. Everyone is trying to merge safely, but then this woman cuts into my lane at full speed, then slams on her brakes because there's nowhere for her to go. Again, I had to swerve to avoid another accident

People are afraid to merge on freeways in Los Angeles. This is the first thing I hear when I come back to the city. Blair picks me up from LAX and mutters this under her breath as her car drives up the onramp. “People are afraid to merge on freeways in Los Angeles.” Though that sentence shouldn’t bother me, it stays in my mind for an uncomfortably long time. Nothing else seems to matter. Not the fact that I’m eighteen and it’s December and the ride on the plane had been rough and the couple from Santa Barbara, who were sitting across from me in first class, had gotten pretty drunk. . Not the mud that had splattered off the legs of my jeans, which felt kind of cold and loose, earlier that day at an airport in New Hampshire. Not the stain on the arm of the wrinkled, dam shirt I wear, a shirt which had looked fresh and clean this morning. Not the tear on the neck of my gray argyle vest, which seems vaguely more eastern than before, especially next to Blair's clean tight jeans and her pale blue T-shirt. All of this seems irrelevant next to that one sentence. It seems easier to hear that people are afraid to merge rather than "I'm pretty sure Muriel is anorexic" or the singer on the radio crying out about magnetic waves. Nothing else seems to matter to me but those ten words. Not the warm winds, which seem to propel the car down the empty asphalt freeway, or the faded smell of marijuana which still faintly permeates Blair’s car. All it comes down to is that I’m a boy coming home for a month and meeting someone whom I haven’t seen for four months and people are afraid to merge.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

How it started:

20 hours ago, elfenix said:

People are afraid to merge on freeways in Los Angeles. This is the first thing I hear when I come back to the city. Blair picks me up from LAX and mutters this under her breath as her car drives up the onramp. “People are afraid to merge on freeways in Los Angeles.” Though that sentence shouldn’t bother me, it stays in my mind for an uncomfortably long time. Nothing else seems to matter. Not the fact that I’m eighteen and it’s December and the ride on the plane had been rough and the couple from Santa Barbara, who were sitting across from me in first class, had gotten pretty drunk. . Not the mud that had splattered off the legs of my jeans, which felt kind of cold and loose, earlier that day at an airport in New Hampshire. Not the stain on the arm of the wrinkled, dam shirt I wear, a shirt which had looked fresh and clean this morning. Not the tear on the neck of my gray argyle vest, which seems vaguely more eastern than before, especially next to Blair's clean tight jeans and her pale blue T-shirt. All of this seems irrelevant next to that one sentence. It seems easier to hear that people are afraid to merge rather than "I'm pretty sure Muriel is anorexic" or the singer on the radio crying out about magnetic waves. Nothing else seems to matter to me but those ten words. Not the warm winds, which seem to propel the car down the empty asphalt freeway, or the faded smell of marijuana which still faintly permeates Blair’s car. All it comes down to is that I’m a boy coming home for a month and meeting someone whom I haven’t seen for four months and people are afraid to merge.

How it ended:
giphy.gif

Edited by nnm

Crossing the street when the light is green and having impatient cars trying to cut me off. Even the bus drivers pull this garbage on green lights for pedestrians. Today I got surly and smacked the vehicle with my hand. It was pretty loud. Guy got pissed, but I didn’t stop to look. Felt good to make one of these horrifically bad NYC drivers have to stop. I will not miss this about living here when I leave in January.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Crossing the street when the light is green and having impatient cars trying to cut me off. Even the bus drivers pull this garbage on green lights for pedestrians. Today I got surly and smacked the vehicle with my hand. It was pretty loud. Guy got pissed, but I didn’t stop to look. Felt good to make one of these horrifically bad NYC drivers have to stop. I will not miss this about living here when I leave in January.

Had a roommate in college that insisted that walking was a right and driving is a privilege and that pedestrians had the right of way. This was all well and good until one day we were crossing 21st between Moore-Hill and Roberts and he blindly walked into the street to only be hit by a motorcycle.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 4

2 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Had a roommate in college that insisted that walking was a right and driving is a privilege and that pedestrians had the right of way. This was all well and good until one day we were crossing 21st between Moore-Hill and Roberts and he blindly walked into the street to only be hit by a motorcycle.

Well yeah that seems fairly reckless there to do that. I know here in NYC that if a motorist hits me they have to pay me. It doesn’t mean I am going to attempt to throw myself out into traffic though. Between the cars here and the scourge of e-bikes I have just had my fill of reckless drivers. These clowns on e-bikes will ride them on the sidewalk. It takes a lot to not just want to plow one of them over for doing that regularly. 

11 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Well yeah that seems fairly reckless there to do that. I know here in NYC that if a motorist hits me they have to pay me. It doesn’t mean I am going to attempt to throw myself out into traffic though. Between the cars here and the scourge of e-bikes I have just had my fill of reckless drivers. These clowns on e-bikes will ride them on the sidewalk. It takes a lot to not just want to plow one of them over for doing that regularly.

ebikers are assholes

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Top of the medical cabinet did not line up with the bottom of the wall cabinet,

Especially since they asked, and I told them the height I wanted. Idiots.

IMG_4639.thumb.jpeg.00d87faf65d13812e23dae8d5caa4763.jpeg

I bet it was the Seattle team on the install (I know, it's a vendor).

On 10/12/2024 at 4:01 AM, UpperWestside said:

People in the NE honk way the hell too much.  It's to the point that it's so common, the honking doesn't signify anything any more.  It's just audible clutter.

Philly. NYC. BLT. DC  all of em.

• Rage+1 2

On 10/8/2024 at 6:19 PM, closetohumping said:

White dudes with cutesy ethnic names. Looking at you Tres, Quattro and Cinco. 

Sure, but if the workers give you a cute ethnic nickname AND even spray paint it on the closet floor during the home construction, you own it with pride ... so to speak.

PXL_20230520_215955304.thumb.jpg.c03ef79d3c2e58c6b70a83372cbabf3b.jpg 

PXL_20230520_220005585.thumb.jpg.37da845be58b70bb7ae122a0e21b399e.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Sure, but if the workers give you a cute ethnic nickname AND even spray paint it on the closet floor during the home construction, you own it with pride ... so to speak.

PXL_20230520_215955304.thumb.jpg.c03ef79d3c2e58c6b70a83372cbabf3b.jpg 

PXL_20230520_220005585.thumb.jpg.37da845be58b70bb7ae122a0e21b399e.jpg

Worked in construction and restaurants a lot of my life.  Every Latino regardless of familiarity eventually calls me peachy merry cone. I like peach ice cream but come on

• Haha 1

Oversized adapters/plugs.  It's always a pain when a stupid boxy adapter takes up 2-3 spaces on an outlet.  This morning I ran into a related issue.  

I bought a new Mocha Master coffee machine.  It's a good one that mimics a pour-over method of coffee brewing, and has a thermal carafe instead of a glass carafe in which coffee burns as it sits on the heating plate.

The plug on it has a big plastic plug end that won't fit through the hole in the counter, to get to the plug.  I had to open the electrical box on the coffee maker, take off the leads, take the cord through the hole in the counter in reverse, and then re-connect the electrical leads inside the coffee maker box.  If/when we ever move, or re-do that counter, I'll have to do that in reverse.  

Mocha Master is made in the Netherlands.

_OX5EMH3ZXIdOo3MUkaUJRUfAndwCXqLYdNmY3vw

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

People in the NE honk way the hell too much.  It's to the point that it's so common, the honking doesn't signify anything any more.  It's just audible clutter.

Philly. NYC. BLT. DC  all of em.

The honking is, well, maybe the absolute hardest thing for me to deal with here since I have issues with really loud noises like that. Just honking for no reason. A large truck was honking at cars to move on a side street a few days ago. The reason the street was backed up was kids getting on their school bus. Sometimes I’d be okay with some dumb rednecks living here for awhile and getting honked at just to watch what happens to the driver that does it.

• Like 1