Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

On 2/15/2019 at 2:18 PM, Richard Kimball said:

You can safely ignore this post. It's me rambling, trying to stay awake during a three hour session. At least the Minnow had Ginger and Mary Anne. 

Oh God. VP coming around rapping on tables, trying to drum up enthusiasm. Only about half as many people here for second three hours, so, harder to hide, but easier to get a chair where no one can get behind me and see I'm surfing. Have a throw down word processing file I can pull up if necessary. 

"We're going to have an important conversation." translation: "Shut up and listen."

OMG, this is worse than the part about laws. Core values, rules of the road, people, inclusiveness, communication, excellence and integrity. Leadership team hasn't done good job of communicating, so they're going to annoy the shit out of us by having more meetings. 

HEY! We've got a poster! Here's a poster with generic clip art of laughing people having more fun than you ever have and buzz words. We're all in this together. Buzzword bingo. We can't do this by ourselves. It's a team effort. Courageous conversations. Just hit diverse on the buzzword bingo. That should be a free space. Sensitivity training video coming up. 

VP is wearing a bow tie. Personal note: only wear a bow tie with a tuxedo. We'll be open and courageous in our communication. Pretty sure they don't want to know what I really think. 

Does this post count as paying attention? Is cynicism a core value? If I'm making fun of the presentation while it's going on, I'm still paying attention. Jeez: We're going to walk the talk. I think he meant walk the walk. This bubbled up from us. We can all pat ourselves on the back. We need to celebrate the good stuff we do. 

Weird, I have a great attitude towards my job until they drag me to one of these fake "let's celebrate ourselves" meetings. We're doing great things, and we're going to do more great things. We're getting everyone on a level playing field. 

Oooooohhhh, powerpoint with charts. Trying to put a positive spin on bad numbers. 

OK, confession, they finally have some decent info. Relevant to our jobs. ten minutes of good info in four hours is above their average. 

45 minutes in: Presenters keep asking if there are questions. NO! We want out!

Settled into a low buzz of tedium and glazed eyes now. 

Dammit. I was stretching when presenter asked for questions. Hopeful look at me, I shake my head no. No one turns around to see what fool thought about asking a question. 

These meetings wouldn't bug me as much if I didn't know how they worked. "Listening sessions" aren't about finding out what they should do. If you go to a listening session, they've already decided what to do. They're determining who will fall in line and who they'll have to kill off.Search for "Mao let a hundred flowers blossom." Pro tip: don't invite a guy who used to be in charge of doing these things come to one as an attendee. 

Breaking now. Another hour and a half to glory. 

If you had just arrested and convicted that one armed bastard you wouldn't have to deal with all of that crap.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I can't ever recall seeing a Hispanic person panhandling around here. It's usually white and black people, men and women about 50 /50. Never seen an Asian person panhandling in my life.

So the whole "They're taking our jerbs!!!" thing is a lie?

Got to the motherland, they will greet you at the border with palms outstretched.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

So the whole "They're taking our jerbs!!!" thing is a lie?

Got to the motherland, they will greet you at the border with palms outstretched.

Yeah I'm sure in country there are plenty. My comments are more about what I see here in Va.  It's white and black folks 99.99% of the time.

That's why I said "almost certainly white" because obviously it's not definite. Everyone can discriminate but the odds are what they are. 
The point is that when people include irrelevancies like a person's skin color in a story it's because they see the world that way. It's not a man, it's a black man, or whatever, depending on the circumstances. Including that information in the story doesn't make the story better, it just says something about the storyteller. You could just tell the story about what some guy did. Superficialities like skin color aren't remarkable unless you're filing a police report. 
Have you ever read a book you fucking idiot?

1 hour ago, Paco said:
On 2/18/2019 at 4:21 PM, WhatTheBuck said:
That's why I said "almost certainly white" because obviously it's not definite. Everyone can discriminate but the odds are what they are. 
The point is that when people include irrelevancies like a person's skin color in a story it's because they see the world that way. It's not a man, it's a black man, or whatever, depending on the circumstances. Including that information in the story doesn't make the story better, it just says something about the storyteller. You could just tell the story about what some guy did. Superficialities like skin color aren't remarkable unless you're filing a police report. 

Read more  

Have you ever read a book you fucking idiot?

"The Nigger of the Narcissus" by Joseph Conrad is a great book that I've read. It's about a guy but I couldn't tell you what race because I'm colorblind like that.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:46 AM, Vic Mackey said:
On 2/17/2019 at 11:44 PM, Helobious said:
I’m full hispanic first of all. And I mentioned his age as well, so am I an ageist? I don’t really think it’s much of a jump to assume a guy on a bench asking passerbys for money is homeless. He didn’t really look homeless (not many belongings with him, short haircut) which is why I literally said in my first post “he didn’t look homeless”. The aggressive asshole homeless people in City #1 San Fran I’ve encountered have mostly been white, although once again I don’t think it matters. They’re shitstains because of who they are, their race is irrelevant. In the same way the guy I ran into yesterday was an asshole because he was just an angry piece of human trash, not because he was black or (possibly) homeless. 

Speaking of homeless and Hispanics, I never see any homeless Hispanic people around Dallas or panhandling on street corners.

Because they live 20 or so deep in a house with relatives or friends. 

On 2/19/2019 at 11:46 AM, Vic Mackey said:
On 2/17/2019 at 11:44 PM, Helobious said:
I’m full hispanic first of all. And I mentioned his age as well, so am I an ageist? I don’t really think it’s much of a jump to assume a guy on a bench asking passerbys for money is homeless. He didn’t really look homeless (not many belongings with him, short haircut) which is why I literally said in my first post “he didn’t look homeless”. The aggressive asshole homeless people in City #1 San Fran I’ve encountered have mostly been white, although once again I don’t think it matters. They’re shitstains because of who they are, their race is irrelevant. In the same way the guy I ran into yesterday was an asshole because he was just an angry piece of human trash, not because he was black or (possibly) homeless. 

Read more  

Speaking of homeless and Hispanics, I never see any homeless Hispanic people around Dallas or panhandling on street corners.

I saw a Scottish one in salt lake who would stop playing his bag pipes if you paid him.

Think I bitched about that one on TOS or upthread somewhere.

Amazon - slowly changed the way we read, the way we shop, and for some consume all media.
Phone companies - slowly changed the way we interact with the world around us.
Social Media Companies - changed the way we communicate
Uber/lyft - fairly rapidly changed the way we travel.
Tesla - while the leader in the pack for EVs has 1.5% market share in ~15 years of business. Impressive, but not MARKET DISRUPTION!

You and your frat bro selling graphic tees online isn’t disruption.
You changing the way Initech puts the cover letter on the TPS report before it goes out isn’t disruption.
You selling an app or software to 3 new customers or 30000 customers “doesn’t move the needle” and you aren’t a disrupting shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Amazon - slowly changed the way we read, the way we shop, and for some consume all media.
Tesla - while the leader in the pack for EVs has 1.5% market share in ~15 years of business. Impressive, but not MARKET DISRUPTION!

You changing the way Initech puts the cover letter on the TPS report before it goes out isn’t disruption.
You selling an app or software to 3 new customers or 30000 customers “doesn’t move the needle” and you aren’t a disrupting shit.

I disrupted yer moms snatch last night.

5 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

the next presentation i see that starts off with "uber/xxx is the largest taxi/yyy company even though they dont own cars/zzz" wont be the last. 

On 2/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, elfenix said:

The only toilet paper sold in stores is quadruple roll which doesn't fit on the fucking dispenser. The people that decided this shit is a good idea should be forced to wipe with 36 grit sandpaper for the rest of their lives.

Don't know what kind of 1970's dispenser you have, but you sound poor

• Like 1