Trivial Things That Make You Surly

elfenix

2 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Excel's inabilty to keep anything in its 'copy' buffer beyond a single command.  Copy, insert a row, oops, need to copy again.  Copy, format a different cell, oops need to copy again.  20 years ago I could understand this, today, just maddening.

The way that you idiot STEM and finance guys try to use Excel for everything makes me surly.

It’s good for spreadsheets. I get it. 

But don’t use Excel for agendas, lists, or any other text-based purpose. There are lots of programs that are specifically created for managing and editing text. Excel is horrific for that purpose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Neighbor behind me we share a driveway with has been running a science experiment for a month now.  Wife set this water jug out by their garage door.  Husband said the jug had a leak.  

Apparently a very small leak.  

I do admire his tenacity in not picking it up but he won’t wear her down to the point where she picks it up. 

C527E340-BE40-4D15-872E-13B63C0E8AA1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2022 at 12:19 AM, CooterBrown said:

It’s not that it’s organic. It’s because it’s UHT ultra high temp pasteurized milk. It gives refrigerated milk an unopened shelf life of like 2 months. It’s also the process that allows for room temperature shelf stable milk with really long expiration dates.

which is also at least part of the reason it tastes a bit different.  the stuff in tetrapak has a noticeable burnt sugar (lactose) flavor from the UHT process, in my experience (though that was 20 years ago and maybe it's improved since then). 

some people are oblivious or indifferent to the concept of messaging priority and notifications.

we use the MS Yammer message board at work.  by default, posts you make appear silently.  certain posts you can amplify such that it gets pushed to everyones Notifications, Yammer inboxes, or worse, to their Emails.

so now i get random emails updating me about somebody having held a fucking meeting, or congratulatory message about their team completing a fitness challenge or other mundane shit.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

some people are oblivious or indifferent to the concept of messaging priority and notifications.

we use the MS Yammer message board at work.  by default, posts you make appear silently.  certain posts you can amplify such that it gets pushed to everyones Notifications, Yammer inboxes, or worse, to their Emails.

so now i get random emails updating me about somebody having held a fucking meeting, or congratulatory message about their team completing a fitness challenge or other mundane shit.

One of the companies I used to work for used Yammer.  It was also a Norwegian company.  There's a great quote from the Ibsen play Peer Gynt which completely describes Yammer (roughly translation):

“whether I am being hammered, or am hammering, there will be yammering”  (”Om jeg hamrer eller hamres, like fullt skal der jamres“).

• Rage+1 1

On 9/30/2022 at 7:11 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wearing 100% polyester hoodies/zip ups/whatever and the instant you step outside they smell like old sweat

1 cup of white vinegar in your loads with the synthetics. I dont know why it works but it does. No more funk. 

• Like 1

Hey FOX Sports. You don’t have to host your Big Noon Kickoff show at the same site as your Big Noon Saturday game every week. This is your third week in a row at the site of a Michigan game. And in Bloomington, IN? The Hoosiers lost to Nebraska last week. Nobody cares about this game.

College GameDay has been known to visit sites where ESPN isn’t covering the game. While they’re in Lawrence, why not go to Dallas for the RRS?

• Hook 'Em 1

God damnit. 2 more coworkers quit. One was for family reasons which I understand. The other is an exec for us. Him and I get along well even though he’s got an Eeyore, glass half empty, complains a lot personality. He gave good notice to our boss since he reports to her directly.

I know he’s been grumbling for a while and I’ve been his advocate to get him a bigger raise, better car, better bonus, etc. A lot of his woes are driven by his own decisions but he somehow blames the company. I don’t know if he’ll be happy anywhere, but he does good work and I need him in light of us losing people a lot of people since June (our company turnover is around 20%!!!)

Our division president called him and said he wouldn’t accept his resignation. They’re friends as well, so not sure how that’s going to go down.

Anyway, I found out that that are offering him $190k base. I told my boss that that’s more than I make, and she mentioned that management has been proactively looking at adjusting my salary. I’ll believe it when I see a bigger paycheck. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

Sometime this fall I changed my streaming TV provider from YTTV to Fubo so that my son and I can watch the Astros (suck it haters).  For the most part, I've been happy with it.  Well, yesterday I wanted to stream the Astros game while at work.  The ALDS is on TBS, which is not carried by Fubo.  So I can't watch the Astros without Fubo in the regular season, and can't watch them with Fubo in the playoffs.  

Looks like I'm dropping Fubo today.  I guess I'll fire it back up next summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe "trivial" because it didn't affect the ultimate arrival of the flight, but this woman was throwing up all throughout my flight from Hobby to Denver.

Like, I was A33 and she was already on the plane and throwing up in the barf bags when I boarded.  And she continued to barf.   And she stayed on the plane and barfed the entire time - back and forth from the bathroom, laying across a row of seats, FAs on the headsets with the ground/medical to have paramedics meet us at DIA.

Surly because I hate the sound of vomiting and I was in Row 10 and she was occupying the forward lavatory the whole time.  SW should have deplaned her before we took off.  Talk about a public health issue. 

• Rage+1 2

On 10/12/2022 at 12:14 PM, nnm said:

Sometime this fall I changed my streaming TV provider from YTTV to Fubo so that my son and I can watch the Astros (suck it haters).  For the most part, I've been happy with it.  Well, yesterday I wanted to stream the Astros game while at work.  The ALDS is on TBS, which is not carried by Fubo.  So I can't watch the Astros without Fubo in the regular season, and can't watch them with Fubo in the playoffs.  

Looks like I'm dropping Fubo today.  I guess I'll fire it back up next summer.

The fact that I (used to) get the mlb pass and I can't stream the Rangers or Astros at home... Fuck MLB. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Maybe "trivial" because it didn't affect the ultimate arrival of the flight, but this woman was throwing up all throughout my flight from Hobby to Denver.

Like, I was A33 and she was already on the plane and throwing up in the barf bags when I boarded.  And she continued to barf.   And she stayed on the plane and barfed the entire time - back and forth from the bathroom, laying across a row of seats, FAs on the headsets with the ground/medical to have paramedics meet us at DIA.

Surly because I hate the sound of vomiting and I was in Row 10 and she was occupying the forward lavatory the whole time.  SW should have deplaned her before we took off.  Talk about a public health issue. 

Sounds like a sternly worded email to SWA is in order. That’ll show them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

Sounds like you missed a golden opportunity to drop this nugget...

• Haha 2

On 10/14/2022 at 12:56 PM, Js1 said:

Hopefully pregnancy?

at least it ain't contagious...

On 10/14/2022 at 3:34 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

The fact that I (used to) get the mlb pass and I can't stream the Rangers or Astros at home... Fuck MLB. 

weakstreams.com got me through this season.

I'm sure it will be something else next season; but yeah, we tried to do the MLB.com thing legit and Astros games were local.  We live 615 miles from fucking Minute Maid Park...and we "local."  GTFO of here with that bullshit, MLB.

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

weakstreams.com got me through this season.

I'm sure it will be something else next season; but yeah, we tried to do the MLB.com thing legit and Astros games were local.  We live 615 miles from fucking Minute Maid Park...and we "local."  GTFO of here with that bullshit, MLB.

Most infuriating thing ever. Especially because Astros games aren't even on TV where I live in dallas

• Rage+1 1

been house shopping for a while
the stove on an island is one of the dumbest ideas ever, particularly on an island with stool seating
Phil-Kean-Designs-Kitchen-island-with-stove.jpg
why yes, i would love to sit in front of a warm stove with oil splattering all over the place. 
Agreed. We just moved ours to a wall. Island cooktops make the whole island useless for anything else.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Agreed. We just moved ours to a wall. Island cooktops make the whole island useless for anything else.

Sinks are fine because you could do food prep and face the rest of the house.

But cooktops...box that shit in.  Except if it's pushed up against a cabinet (like a fridge).  That's dumb too.

• Like 1

At least the microwave door hinges are on the side so you can actually reach into it. I swear every other built-in microwave these days has a hinge at the bottom so it opens like an oven.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Built-in-microwaves-Microwaves-Appliances/4294715795?view=List

I have the Bosch microwave, it's mounted about 6" above my counter, but you gotta be built like George Muresan to reach in to get the food.

10 hours ago, Okie State said:
15 hours ago, 52-80 said:

image.thumb.jpg.e4124d0a8c9ad9fecb30eba8ca31a32c.jpg

Not if the island is big enough. 

Edited by nnm

Jeep People.  They are just vaping, big-wheel cyclists in disguise.  Think they own the road, always hovering over lane lines, rarely paying attention.   

This morning, I'm walking my dog around 7:00.  It's 37 degrees outside.  Dumb bitch in a Jeep has just dropped her sweet Kayden or Kash at school that is 1/12 mile away in the Jeep.  Naturally, she has the doors and top off the big wheel, and has the 10 month old in the car seat with her as well.  

37 Degrees bitch, put the damn top on the car so your baby doesn't freeze to death.   Imbeciles.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

We are looking to have some sort of gutter guard system installed on our house, so Mrs. Doom called Leaf Filter and the person she spoke to who arranges the estimate visits insisted on asking all kinds of questions about her marital status, and once the person found out she was married, they started asking her about my schedule and my availability. 

Motherfuckers couldn't/wouldn't accept that this is her project and that she has decision-making authority (I don't give a shit about this as much as she does, and I have a lot of work travel coming up.) But the asshole wouldn't let it go and kept trying to offer appointments at times that they assumed that I would be home (and not at the times she offered/asked for) so she eventually told them that we're no longer interested. 

Fuck you, sexist Leaf Filter shitheads. I look forward to my wife writing a check to a competitor of yours. 

• Rage+1 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1