2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

20 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

"If you decide to retire tonight, thank you"

hahahahahah what an ultimate dig

That's not how I took it. He was saying he'd rather not have to fight him again.

That fight was basically going to come down to cardio and take down defense. Seemed like it was going Isreal's diriction, but Duplesis was able to keep enough strength on his punches to send Izzy down, and jumped on him lightning fast. Three right hooks in a row on someone that was already a little rocked and fatigued. Impressive win.

Strickland's crazy ass on deck.

I haven't heard anything about Adesaya mentioning retirement? He mentioned a long break last year but nothing about retirement.

Speaking of cardio, Duplesis was looking ragged in the later rounds.
Like he could barely throw a punch at one point.
And Adesanya was toying with him over and over.
Throwing punches that came to a stop an inch from his face every time.
I thought for sure Adesanya could have easily taken him out but was having fun.

My inner conspiracy theorist says the quick tapout was just setting up a huge $$$ trilogy fight.

8 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Speaking of cardio, Duplesis was looking ragged in the later rounds.
Like he could barely throw a punch at one point.
And Adesanya was toying with him over and over.
Throwing punches that came to a stop an inch from his face every time.

My inner conspiracy theorist says the quick tapout was just setting up a huge $$$ trilogy fight.

That's exactly how both of them fight in all of their prior fights.

Adesanya looks great at point fighting because he is great at point fighting. His last slobberknocker was Gastelum and that was over 5 years ago. The few times he gets hit he hides it well.

Pereira and father time added a lot of wear to that chin, so now when he gets tagged by 'weird' pressure fighters like Strickland or DDP he runs away... a lot more compromised than he looks.

12 championship fights is a lot of PPV $$$  and his ego is way too large to throw away a fight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll never get used to hearing "this person is a brown belt Jui Jitsu" when it's so much more common to hear about multiple degree karate or some other form. 

Happy for the former Champ Euro but sad for Grasso.

We'll see what happens with the decision after the last round?
I don't think we'll see any stoppage/end of fight.  I

That was a weird fight. 

O'Malley corner and Merab yelling at each other at the opening bell. Merab kissing O'Malley's back then just letting him up like he thought he tapped or something. O'Malley looking like he wanted to cry on his stool between rounds 4 and 5. Herb Dean constantly yelling at them to work even when they're actively punching/wrestling. Nutty fight. 

Never seen Herb do that. Must have gotten a talking to from Dana to not let the Sphere main event get boring. 

I was flying back into town. Have only watched the O'Malley and the Lopes fights. So those were sucks of time. O'Malley having hip surgery, but not saying it played a role.

Hear one of the fights on the card was an all-timer.

Also, weren't tickets for this thing like 3-5K?

Edited by JohnnyRage

On 9/18/2024 at 4:25 AM, JohnnyRage said:

I was flying back into town. Have only watched the O'Malley and the Lopes fights. So those were sucks of time. O'Malley having hip surgery, but not saying it played a role.

Hear one of the fights on the card was an all-timer.

most of the card was very very good, even without finishes. i skipped the womens fights because...you know.

omalleys injury had nothing to do with him getting smothered.  dude shouldnt even be defending the belt because the entire world knew he already lost to peter yan... but whatever