Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

Obviously we don’t know all the inner workings of how PK manages the defense, but it definitely seems like he is willing to collaborate with peers such as Patterson and Nansen in a refreshingly ego-less way that has really benefited the defense.

It’s nice to see what appears to be a willingness to consider new approaches/strategies/philosophies others bring with them, rather than stubbornly sticking to his own rigid system.

• Hook 'Em 8

34 minutes ago, Drifterwood said:

Obviously we don’t know all the inner workings of how PK manages the defense, but it definitely seems like he is willing to collaborate with peers such as Patterson and Nansen in a refreshingly ego-less way that has really benefited the defense.

It’s nice to see what appears to be a willingness to consider new approaches/strategies/philosophies others bring with them, rather than stubbornly sticking to his own rigid system.

Not been talked about much, but I think Scottie Hazelton is contributing to the staff. He has been around block. He is now coaching the NBs. At a minimum that has lessened the load for Gideon and Joseph. Secondary looks to be communicating at a much higher level this year compared to the last few. I would not be surprised if he is a sounding board for PK and Nansen

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Everyone wanted to fire Gideon and Joseph during the summer, now Giedon has closed out 2 - 5 star safeties and the safeties don't look slow and confused anymore. Imagine that, having more talent in the seconadry rooms equals better defensive results. Meanwhile, our starting safety from last year, went to Auburn to watch a RB from California run past him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Not been talked about much, but I think Scottie Hazelton is contributing to the staff. He has been around block. He is now coaching the NBs. At a minimum that has lessened the load for Gideon and Joseph. Secondary looks to be communicating at a much higher level this year compared to the last few. I would not be surprised if he is a sounding board for PK and Nansen

Good stuff... Yeah, probably doesn't hurt to have Hazelton as a special assistant to the head coach at Texas

Great quote from article:  "Between Hazelton, co-defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Johnny Nansen, and defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski, Texas now has 35 years of defensive coordinator experience on Sarkisian’s staff."

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2024/6/27/24187600/scottie-hazelton-hire-texas-longhorns-special-assistant-steve-sarkisian 

Early sample size, but currently #23 in passing yards allowed per game (136 yards per game).
We're actually DEFENDING passes now instead of simply taking bad angles after the WR catches the ball. Who knew you could actually prevent catches from being made?

Revolutionary stuff, hope it continues.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/13/2024 at 4:18 PM, HtownHorn said:

Everyone wanted to fire Gideon and Joseph during the summer, now Giedon has closed out 2 - 5 star safeties and the safeties don't look slow and confused anymore. Imagine that, having more talent in the seconadry rooms equals better defensive results. Meanwhile, our starting safety from last year, went to Auburn to watch a RB from California run past him.

Thompson is just bad. He had a crazy interception last night but other than that it's the same issues. 

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

PK and Nansen have this defense playing very, very well so far. We'll see what happens when we play a top-third offense, but still. It has been impressive.

Yeah, still a lot of football left this season against much better competition.  But if our defense keeps this up, it'll be remarkable to have a defensive coordinator who's managed to improve since his hire.  The last few DC hires regressed pretty awfully after their first seasons.  See, e.g., Manny Diaz, Vance Bedford, Todd Orlando.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, still a lot of football left this season against much better competition.  But if our defense keeps this up, it'll be remarkable to have a defensive coordinator who's managed to improve since his hire.  The last few DC hires regressed pretty awfully after their first seasons.  See, e.g., Manny Diaz, Vance Bedford, Todd Orlando.

When you look at our schedule we really don't play many great offenses. 

Georgia (they even look like they have some issues on offense) and then who is the next best offense we face? Maybe Arkansas? 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I like what I've see so far and without questioning we're fielding a better defense - player and scheme wise, but with PK the test is going to be against a good passing offense. 

We won't see one of those until Georgia.  Actually that looks like the only time we will see one until playoffs.

Would be a good time for Beck to be knocked on his ass so he that the stars at night are big and bright. 

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

When you look at our schedule we really don't play many great offenses. 

Georgia (they even look like they have some issues on offense) and then who is the next best offense we face? Maybe Arkansas? 

SEC! SEC! SEC!

The defense hasn't been tested much to this point.  The back end is improved and much faster, that is plain to see.  There is a monster coming off the edge now, that much is plain to see.  Once we get to OU and Georgia, we will know a lot more.  Not that they are great offenses but you'll have to play sound against both.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I mean, we still occasionally drop Collin Simmons and Trey Moore in coverage on passing downs.

Just glad PK and co. don't have them isolated 1v1 on lopsided matchups.  I was hungover and half asleep and still it was clear as day, yelling at my screen as Turpin went in motion in man on Hughes, time and again, with Charlie catatonic on the sidelines doing fuck all about it.  The basic and obvious shit is far improved under PK.  Roach at MLB was just a huge indictment on linebacker recruiting

57 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I mean, we still occasionally drop Collin Simmons and Trey Moore in coverage on passing downs.

that is going continue. PK finally has guys that fit the position. It was a little odd looking when PK would drop Burke into coverage last year, who is a Jack forced to play Buck. Guys like Moore, Collins, and Orogbo have the athleticism to drop occasionally and help disguise blitzes.