Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:
  • Split off Edges, and they are at least B+
  • DTs are a B
  • LBs are either B+ or A-
  • CBs are likely a B+ or A-
  • Safeties are A-

#3 in the country in passing defense efficiency. Granted, look at the opposition, but I’m not sure what more you expect the secondary to have done at this point. 

oklahoma's only path to victory on offense is power run with play action pass over the top. im hoping pk was saving some run blitzes to keep the freshman in a down and distance where he makes some mistakes on 3rd down and its off to the races for our offense. 

• Drool 1

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
  • DTs are a B
  • Safeties are A-

I believe Broughton is the highest graded DT in the SEC. Opposition hasn’t been great, but they have held their own. Probably deserve a higher grade, if we are simply basing it on how they have played. LBs have had their moments both ways. I think Texas has given up 2 TDs both were because LBs were not gap sound (UTSA/MSU). What’s that DB grade of MSU didn’t miss 3 open deep shots? I like the way the defense has played, but I’ll wait until at least the Georgia game before pontificating how good they really are. 1st 5 games they have been picking on kids getting off the short bus 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hookem10 said:

oklahoma's only path to victory on offense is power run with play action pass over the top. im hoping pk was saving some run blitzes to keep the freshman in a down and distance where he makes some mistakes on 3rd down and its off to the races for our offense. 

I think OU will need to hit some big plays to win this game. They have been horrendous on 3rd down this season. OU hasn’t shown the ability to score on 8-10 play drives. I would guess they run some option to help the run game and test Texas’s discipline. This is a game the DL could make a statement vs a poor OU OL. Texas may not need to bring more than 4 to get pressure. (You don’t have to be vanilla in how you bring 4) 

55 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I believe Broughton is the highest graded DT in the SEC. Opposition hasn’t been great, but they have held their own. Probably deserve a higher grade, if we are simply basing it on how they have played. LBs have had their moments both ways. I think Texas has given up 2 TDs both were because LBs were not gap sound (UTSA/MSU). What’s that DB grade of MSU didn’t miss 3 open deep shots? I like the way the defense has played, but I’ll wait until at least the Georgia game before pontificating how good they really are. 1st 5 games they have been picking on kids getting off the short bus 

The highlighted is supposedly the best in the country. 

IMG_6447.jpeg

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
  • DTs are a B
  • Safeties are A-

My grades are based on what I have seen vs what the PFF stats show.  The lack of quality offensive teams that Texas has played in the first 5 games also causes discounting of their PFF stats.

Thru 5 games, PFF defensive stats for this team seem like "Rat Poison".  After Texas plays jawja we'll likely know more about how good PK's group is playing.

Hopefully our defense continues to improve as this season moves along. 

🤘

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The highlighted is supposedly the best in the country. 

IMG_6447.jpeg

Comment was directed more at the CB grade. I think it was Muhammad getting burned twice and Holmes once on deep balls. Holmes and MuKuba gave up a catch, but that was more of a tip your cap kind of thing. Great throw and catch in traffic. 

Edited by Codaxx

Just now, Codaxx said:

Comment was directed at the CB grade. I think it was Muhammad getting burned twice and Holmes once on deep balls, so Mukuba's grade is not really applicable. Holmes and MuKuba gave up a catch, but that was more of a tip your cap kind of thing. Great throw and catch in traffic. 

It’s Mukuba’s photo. It’s the pass defense’s grade. 

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

It’s Mukuba’s photo. It’s the pass defense’s grade. 

I was highlighting that Texas showed some vulnerability to the deep ball vs the first SEC average WR group they have faced. We can ignore that and focus on 1 of the 5 starters, who wasnt involved in those. 

Just now, Codaxx said:

I was highlighting that Texas showed some vulnerability to the deep ball vs the first SEC average WR group they have faced. We can ignore that and focus on 1 of the 5 starters, who wasnt involved in those. 

It isn’t focusing on one of the five starters. That’s the team’s grade. 

7 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It isn’t focusing on one of the five starters. That’s the team’s grade. 

The rebuttal of just Mukaba's grade is obviously focusing on 1 of the 5 starters. Again if MSU isnt MSU and they hit those shots, I would bet those grades are lower for the secondary, especially the Cbs. We do that vs Georgia and this board will be back into full panic mode over the secondary. That was the 1st team to attack the secondary deep this year and they did a poor job. Perhaps it was a good thing it happened vs a team that was unable to take advantage of the coverage lapses with idea that is can be addressed before it hurts the team. 

Edited by Codaxx

Just now, Codaxx said:

The rebuttal of just Mukaba's grade is obviously focusing on 1 of the 5 starters. Again if MSU isnt MSU and they hit those shots, I would bet those grades are lower for the secondary, especially the Cbs. We do that vs Georgia and this board will be back into full panic mode over the secondary. That was the 1st team to attack the secondary deep this year and they did a poor job 

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. This isn’t Mukuba’s grade. It’s just his photo. Are we clear on that, yet?

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. This isn’t Mukuba’s grade. It’s just his photo. Are we clear on that, yet?

My bad on that. I thought it was Mukaba's grade. I still think MSU game exposed a potential weakness

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

My bad on that. I thought it was Mukaba's grade. 

I thought I was losing my mind. 

But, yes, I do get what you’re saying. It doesn’t take many breakdowns to give up points even if the overall grade is good. 

I was surprised to see Muhammad beaten deep. I’m hoping the D just lost focus and didn’t play as soundly as they should have on some plays. That can be addressed. Not every QB is going to miss some of those throws. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think that we did not respect their ability to go deep either.  It was the right gamble w/ a green QB.  They completed exactly 1 pass and only scored because the officials didn't call holding on the opposition.  They absolutely made up holding calls against us though.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

My bad on that. I thought it was Mukaba's grade. I still think MSU game exposed a potential weakness

Yes and no - we won’t know how bad we are until back end of schedule. You are who you are by then. But to assume other teams are gonna hit those shots is ehhh. Those are low percentage throws. Against Georgia we might pick those if you look the other way. If you’re to believe sark in the post game they ran base defense all game and didn’t change or show anything. I’m hoping when we play better passing teams we’ll be ready for it. Hope is a dangerous thing I know. 

58 minutes ago, Hookem10 said:

Yes and no - we won’t know how bad we are until back end of schedule. You are who you are by then. But to assume other teams are gonna hit those shots is ehhh. Those are low percentage throws. Against Georgia we might pick those if you look the other way. If you’re to believe sark in the post game they ran base defense all game and didn’t change or show anything. I’m hoping when we play better passing teams we’ll be ready for it. Hope is a dangerous thing I know. 

The double move against Muhammad was wide open. That one that most QBs hit. Again this more about the fact this was the 1st team to test Texas deep with decent athletes.

Edited by Codaxx

This needs to get cleaned up for OU. Texas needs to stay in their Rush lanes. 

image.png.d3a6447d907647179b3611ce5536e698.png

image.png.62ba87a52d09ddab96ff1366738618d7.png

image.png.f7c4ca90ac93c25f8c0491591ed842ae.png 

Ant needs to take on that Rb. He goes around him and opens up a huge hole. Texas ends having 2 rushers behind the QB

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

Here is Hawkins big run. Auburn slanting the DE/OLB and bringing the ILB around the edge

image.png.92c07718a1b1a8d56da52f180718e789.png

image.png.aefe32cf1bde265180b658661175e9c9.png

OU OL doesnt pass this off. Guard is screwed and chasing the ILB

image.png.16f96e6259b5f39f695ea7ea6b2088e9.png

But the ILB is gets too wide

image.png.e0cbf5f8ff171ff4504a92cec78d0c00.png

and 50+ yards later its an OU TD and the blitzing ILB is never touched by an OL. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Rage+1 1

Our run defense is going to be tested Saturday -- MissSt provided the blueprint.  Horns should be prepared for blOU to use their QB in their run offense quite a lot.  The Texas defensive front has to play with more discipline... force blOU into 3rd down situations and make their QB attempt his passes from the pocket.

Also Simmons has multiple plays on film where he's been too aggressive with his pass rush and getting way out of position-- this causes us to be much more vulnerable to outside runs.   We can't afford to allow the blOU QB to escape our pass rush and bust off long runs this Saturday.  

Holmes is definitely vulnerable -- blOU should attack him deep down the sidelines and coach their WRs up on best ways to draw pass interference.  

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Our run defense is going to be tested Saturday -- MissSt provided the blueprint.  Horns should be prepared for blOU to use their QB in their run offense quite a lot.  The Texas defensive front has to play with more discipline... force blOU into 3rd down situations and make their QB attempt his passes from the pocket.

Also Simmons has multiple plays on film where he's been too aggressive with his pass rush and getting way out of position-- this causes us to be much more vulnerable to outside runs.   We can't afford to allow the blOU QB to escape our pass rush and bust off long runs this Saturday.  

Holmes is definitely vulnerable -- blOU should attack him deep down the sidelines and coach their WRs up on best ways to draw pass interference.  

Simmons may get in trouble once or twice, but PK has dealt with a very similar QB in Milroe last year. I wouldnt be surprised if he just dusted out that game plan. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Brian Robison said our DL have the best gap/lane integrity he's seen from our program in sometime the other morning on OTF. 

I think the issue with our run fits has been on the LBs and not the DL. Gbenda, Blackwell, and Hill have all had problems filling gaps and staying in lanes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Simmons may get in trouble once or twice, but PK has dealt with a very similar QB in Milroe last year. I wouldnt be surprised if he just dusted out that game plan. 

Would be nice to get a great game from

Screenshot_20241009-124241_kindlephoto-4308312.png.cc118a6bd27c9b0ccd041f728b209be2.png

Edited by LTtxfan

17 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I think the issue with our run fits has been on the LBs and not the DL. Gbenda, Blackwell, and Hill have all had problems filling gaps and staying in lanes. 

One of the Sooner donkeys said he would attack Hill. Said he was undisciplined. 

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Our run defense is going to be tested Saturday -- MissSt provided the blueprint. 

Maybe you think Texas is just going to stand there and do the same thing for 60 against OU that they did against Mississippi State. Seems unlikely to me.

Sarkisian specifically said what their defensive approach was, and it was “if that’s what you want to do, bang your head for 4 yards a carry, we don’t even give enough of a fuck to change anything because you can’t beat us that way.”

Almost certainly — and maybe I’m wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time — Texas played that game the way they did because, first, Mississippi State couldn’t win that way and, second, why show OU what you’d do in a similar situation if you don’t need to.

Again, maybe I’m wrong and that was the best defense Kwiatkowski and staff could figure out and they were completely baffled as to what adjustments to make, but I feel certain they have something a little stronger in store for OU. I suspect we’ll find out. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

One of the Sooner donkeys said he would attack Hill. Said he was undisciplined. 

I think we've asked our LBs to play more aggressive than they are capable of. If we tone it back and involve the safeties/DBs in the run game more, that should clean it up. Guilbeau, Taafe, and Barron are rock solid in run support. 

I don't know if our pass defense is truly good. But I do know it is better than last year. We were giving up oodles of yards to everybody and had consistent coverage busts. Guys have gotten beaten here and there (Holmes), but we havent seen the type of true -- don't know your job -- busts like we did last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

The problem is that OU can't really run the football.  I think they're averaging 3.7 yards per carry.  And, if you take out the Temple stats it goes from can't to dumpster fire level incompetence.  

The blOU o-line has been banged up, but is on the mend and played better in their last game vs awwwbrrrnnn... bye week should allow blOU to be their best since Temple game.

However, the team rebounded well against Auburn. They finally had their original starting five, thanks to Jake Taylor returning to man the right tackle spot. This let Tarquin return to left tackle and Sexton move back inside to left guard.

The Sooners immediately saw better results. The line held up well in pass protection and had their best non-Temple game running the ball. A week after allowing 19 pressures, the line responded by allowing just five against Auburn, who entered the week leading the SEC in pressures. Three of those five were from Taylor, who didn't look 100% but could still play. 

Now the starting five are finally healthy and can actually start to build reps in together. Oklahoma gets a bye week this week to get healthier elsewhere and the line can take the week to rebuild their chemistry with each other after so many shuffling pieces. 

It won't transform Oklahoma into a top-flight offense, but just being able to afford continuity up front moving forward would be a huge boon for this offense. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/oklahoma-sooners-offensive-line-puts-together-best-performance-of-the-season-against-auburn/ar-AA1rDAif?ocid=BingNewsSerp

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Our run defense is going to be tested Saturday -- MissSt provided the blueprint.

Lulz, fuck no.

OU is terrible running the football. Hawkins is averaging 3.6 yards per carry and he's their best threat. On the season, he has 28 carries for 101 yards, with 48 coming on one single play, meaning their best running threat on offense has 27 carries for 53 yeards on the season outside the one play against Auburn. They have no threats at WR, play a zone and force Hawkins to come off his 1st read. MSU likley has a better OL than OU does and we got 5 sacks against MSU.

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The blOU o-line has been banged up, but is on the mend and played better in their last game vs awwwbrrrnnn... bye week should allow blOU to be their best since Temple game.

Played better, they ran the ball 32 times for 130 yards, with 48 coming early in the game on a chunk play. 31-82 is a shitty performance and I would take that in a heartbeat.

Edited by HtownHorn

I thought I was losing my mind. 
But, yes, I do get what you’re saying. It doesn’t take many breakdowns to give up points even if the overall grade is good. 
I was surprised to see Muhammad beaten deep. I’m hoping the D just lost focus and didn’t play as soundly as they should have on some plays. That can be addressed. Not every QB is going to miss some of those throws. 

He looked completely lost on one play.

44 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Played better, they ran the ball 32 times for 130 yards, with 48 coming early in the game on a chunk play. 31-82 is a shitty performance and I would take that in a heartbeat.

Name Yr Pos G Att Yards Avg. TD Att/G Yards/G
1 Jovantae Barnes JR RB 5 57 199 3.49 2 11.40 39.80
2 Jackson Arnold SO QB 4 41 138 3.37 2 10.25 34.50
3 Taylor Tatum FR RB 4 18 116 6.44 2 4.50 29.00
4 Michael Hawkins Jr. FR QB 3 28 101 3.61 1 9.33 33.67
5 Sam Franklin JR RB 5 5 42 8.40 0 1.00 8.40
6 Gavin Sawchuk SO RB 5 18 33 1.83 0 3.60 6.60

that is not good

I also looked at Sacks per drop back (Pass att+sacks allowed)

Texas is 2nd in the SEC with a sack allowed every 33.2 drop backs.. 

Oklahoma is 13th with a sack allowed every 11 pass attempts. 

MSU was 15th at 8.7 to give you some reference. Texas had 6 sacks vs MSU. (Kentucky 14th)

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz, fuck no.

OU is terrible running the football. Hawkins is averaging 3.6 yards per carry and he's their best threat. On the season, he has 28 carries for 101 yards, with 48 coming on one single play, meaning their best running threat on offense has 27 carries for 53 yeards on the season outside the one play against Auburn. They have no threats at WR, play a zone and force Hawkins to come off his 1st read. MSU likley has a better OL than OU does and we got 5 sacks against MSU.

Play a zone and only rush a 3-4? 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 12:57 PM, LTtxfan said:

Love video clip of fired up PK at 2:28 mark

" STARTS UP FRONT 

STRIKE... SHED... TACKLE...  

EVERYBODY !!! "  🤘 

@LTtxfan need help with this song 

On 9/13/2024 at 12:57 PM, LTtxfan said:

Love video clip of fired up PK at 2:28 mark

" STARTS UP FRONT 

STRIKE... SHED... TACKLE...  

EVERYBODY !!! "  🤘 

@LTtxfan need help with this song 

On 10/8/2024 at 9:45 AM, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I agree the secondary has played well so far but they have been up against bad QB's.   We will know a lot more after the Georgia game regarding the secondary. 

Carson Beck kinda sucks, so I'm not sure he's the base line. Another WR was just arrested. 

What are they gonna do? Run play action all game with the QB keeping the Ball? They have no WRs. No RB, Frankensteim's monster for an o-line

Their defense is good, not great. They can't stop all of Bond..Golden, Wingo, Moore, and Helm.

They're in deep shit. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock

My God I hope y'all are right.  Taking my son to the game.  He went with my wife (Vol alum) to the Arky game last Sat.  He got back and said, "Well at least I finally got to see people rush the field".  If TX were to lose, he might give up sports altogether.  :)