TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

Look, I'm gonna be honest here. I like Quinn a lot, and he got us not only a conference championship, but also a CFP appearance and almost to the NC stage. Without him getting us started at 8-5, then 12-2, we would still be trying to work in a QB. For that, I'm extremely grateful to him for all he's poured into our program. But he's been injured every season, and he comes back when he's not ready, and the fans are clamoring for him to come back when Maalik was here and would rocket the ball into Saturn. 

However, it's time to move to Arch. We cannot have a controversy next year if Quinn wants to come back. Arch is the future and he needs the reps, for good or bad this season. He needs to learn. And when Quinn is actually really, really, really healthy, then see what he can do. it's quite obvious he wasn't ready for ou, and definitely not last night. Yes, Arch didn't have as much success last night, but he also got scraps and didn't get to settle in.

He's a dual threat and that would have helped immensely. But our classes moving forward are because of him and Sark. We need to ride wiith Arch until/unless Quinn is 100% (not 99%, 95% and so on) and ready to roll without him seeing ghosts and looking like a deer in headlights. It's clear as day that he needs to work on throwing, getting the ball out faster, and his footwork. This throwing off your back foot shit has to stop. And it may never will until he's in the league. But if we roll in Arky with him still looking like he did last night, we're getting fucked up by a shitty team. They're fucking rowdy. I'm not worried about aggy because they're fucking overrated as always, and so is their stadium bullshit. 

It's time to ride with Arch and get him as much PT as humanly possible in the event Quinn gets hurt again, or he's holding the ball like a stone statue. 

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Look, I'm gonna be honest here. I like Quinn a lot, and he got us not only a conference championship, but also a CFP appearance and almost to the NC stage. Without him getting us started at 8-5, then 12-2, we would still be trying to work in a QB. For that, I'm extremely grateful to him for all he's poured into our program. But he's been injured every season, and he comes back when he's not ready, and the fans are clamoring for him to come back when Maalik was here and would rocket the ball into Saturn. 
However, it's time to move to Arch. We cannot have a controversy next year if Quinn wants to come back. Arch is the future and he needs the reps, for good or bad this season. He needs to learn. And when Quinn is actually really, really, really healthy, then see what he can do. it's quite obvious he wasn't ready for ou, and definitely not last night. Yes, Arch didn't have as much success last night, but he also got scraps and didn't get to settle in.
He's a dual threat and that would have helped immensely. But our classes moving forward are because of him and Sark. We need to ride wiith Arch until/unless Quinn is 100% (not 99%, 95% and so on) and ready to roll without him seeing ghosts and looking like a deer in headlights. It's clear as day that he needs to work on throwing, getting the ball out faster, and his footwork. This throwing off your back foot shit has to stop. And it may never will until he's in the league. But if we roll in Arky with him still looking like he did last night, we're getting fucked up by a shitty team. They're fucking rowdy. I'm not worried about aggy because they're fucking overrated as always, and so is their stadium bullshit. 
It's time to ride with Arch and get him as much PT as humanly possible in the event Quinn gets hurt again, or he's holding the ball like a stone statue. 
Thank you for coming to my TED talk. 

Don’t really disagree with any of this except that there is zero chance Ewers is in Austin next season.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Ewers needs to step up and play better earlier in games.  Multiple podcasts said it was good for Sark to put Manning in to try and light a fire in the offense. 

Coddling Ewers is over -- he's a 3rd year starter and needs to play like it.

HEY QUINN...

giphy.gif

There are rumors that sark is related to Cher. 

Its crazy to think that it may be time to move on from Quinn. He has done a lot a good for the program. The main reason to stick with an older player is consistency. You should have a pretty good idea of what you are going to get from a 3rd year starter. Every player will have his highs and lows throughout a season. You expect wild moves from 1st starters. The variation should be much smaller in a 3rd year starter. Right now it feels impossible to know what you will get from Ewers. Will he look like early season Quinn or the last 2 games? The last 2 games have been poor freshmen QB level play. PFF has him graded lower than DJ Uiagalelei currently. Michigan was playoff QB level. IF Quinn can not right the ship this week and play a solid 1st half, I think it is time to go to Arch. Quinn can be a distributor, but he is not really a play maker. Arch can give you play making. If the offense is going to go into games with question marks at QB, might as well go with the play maker. It sounds insane to say about a QB that has started conference championship games and in the playoffs, but I think this Vanderbilt game may be the biggest game of Quinn's life. Perform well and the last 2 games will be blown off as injury related, play like he has the last 2 weeks and he might be handing the football to Arch. I hope we see early season Quinn.

• Hook 'Em 4

Reminder what Arch looked like in his last start. I know it's just Miss State, but it was also only his 2nd start. The improvement from ULM game was obvious. Feel like this performance got overlooked due to scoring struggles due to Blue fumbles and penalties. He played great, his footwork and pocket presence were excellent and will only get better. Watch the play at 30:40 mark. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

FWIW, without plainly stating it, Coach Erwin's comments on OTF this morning make it clear he thinks Arch should start. He's trying to be diplomatic but you can tell he's beyond frustrated with QE's play. 

They all sound despondent over the offensive regression. Which is fair - it's been pretty shitty for a month now. 

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Fanbase has already made up their minds that Quinn is garbage and Arch is savior so we’re gonna knitpick every single not perfect throw he makes. We’re gonna bitch and moan for the rest of the season while at the same time winning games most likely 

No one is "nitpicking" Quinn. He has played like absolute dogshit for 2 straight weeks. He is struggling in literally every facet right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

No one is "nitpicking" Quinn. He has played like absolute dogshit for 2 straight weeks. He is struggling in literally every facet right now. 

Yeah Ewer's PFF grades are dogshit right now -- just not playing like a 3rd year starter.

Ewers just doesn't seem right -- best analogy is Cougar in Top Gun.  

• Haha 2

Quinn hasn’t had any legit swagger since coming back. He showed some fake swagger after running for that last TD against OU and the outcome of the game was long decided. When he’s healthy, dialed and legitimately confident, he’s as good as anyone. The first couple of games he was getting the ball out of hands quickly, making great decisions, sensing pressure and moving well in the pocket. I hope he either finds that swagger soon and gets back to balling or admits that his lack of confidence is coming from not being 100% healthy and let’s the coaches make the decision on the best starter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I said they are gonna nitpick. I’ve watch Texas football enough to know that this is what is gonna happen. 

It'll be the opposite of nitpicking. The expectations are so low at the moment that people will give him too much credit for executing simple plays. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Realistically, what do you think it will take for Arch Manning to be QB1?

Will probably take another loss, but if Quinn comes out looking like dogshit again vs. Vandy, I could see Arch going in early. 

The tape on Quinn right now is horrendous. Just found this thread with 7-8 good Skycast view clips from OU game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

FWIW, without plainly stating it, Coach Erwin's comments on OTF this morning make it clear he thinks Arch should start. He's trying to be diplomatic but you can tell he's beyond frustrated with QE's play. 

I remember Erwin was pissed like this about Quinn’s throw in the final play of the Washington game. 

I saw that one too because a family member was texting me yelling for Arch.  Told her he missed a wide open guy across the middle going for the deep ball.

That’s Arch’s “fault”. He is good at the deep ball and evidently likes to take those shots. He’s passed up plenty of shorter completions for that type.

Pretty detailed analysis article on Ewers...

Screenshot_20241021-204051_kindlephoto-5474983.png.a4ccf8001440f00cc50d23330a4a49d4.png

Excerpt:  

The performance of Ewers was neither understandable nor forgivable as a third-year starter. It was a game reminiscent of the 17-10 loss to No. 4 TCU in Austin late in the 2022 season when Ewers went 17-of-39 passing for 171 yards and an interception.

But that was Ewers in his first year as a starter with limited depth at wide receiver and star Xavier Worthy playing through a broken hand. This is Ewers behind an experienced offensive line with a deep wide receiving corps trying to cement his stock as a first-round draft pick next April.

And that context is why it was so shocking to see Sarkisian bench his starter for regressing noticeably in some key areas, the second straight shaky start for Ewers since returning from the oblique strain that caused him to parts of three games. Against Oklahoma, it was a regression in his footwork that Ewers credited to his practice habits during gameweek. Against Georgia, the pressure caused him to lose his eye discipline.

“I just didn’t think he was at his best. A lot of things I’ve seen him do, I wasn’t quite seeing. I don’t think his eyes were where he needed to be. That’s why I felt like he needed to reset and regroup at halftime,” Sarkisian said.

When Ewers lost his eyes, his overall performance deteriorated, including his pocket presence. On one play early in the second quarter, down 7-0 and pinned at the Texas goal line because of a holding penalty that negated a 64-yard return by Golden, Ewers missed a shot play to junior wide receiver Isaiah Bond and then completely lost his pocket presence on a nine-yard sack on third down that forced the Longhorns to punt from the back of the end zone.

Georgia clearly had good coverage on the back end, but the pocket was also clean for Ewers, who drifted to his right, cognizant of Walker coming from the left, but then failed to climb the pocket, blundering into a sack by the Bulldogs linebacker.

image.png.d14edd370927e7af2d2f1578970439dd.png

It’s the type of pocket that should not produce a sack, especially on the goal line — Ewers not only displayed poor pocket presence, but poor situational awareness as well

The pressure also seemingly impacted the decision making of Ewers, who had six turnover-worthy throws with multiple passes hitting Georgia defenders in the hands or chest. As poorly as the game went for Ewers on Saturday, the Bulldogs also missed plenty of opportunities to come up with more interceptions and make it a truly miserable performance for the Southlake Carroll product.

Also this nugget:

Sarkisian noted that it wasn’t an ideal situation for his offensive line to be in, although of the seven sacks allowed by the Longhorns, PFF only credited two to the line, one each for Banks and junior right tackle Cam Williams.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/texas-qb-quinn-ewers-lost-composure-in-face-of-attacking-georgia-defense/ar-AA1sBJ8J?ocid=BingNewsSerp

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

So much talk about this, so cross-posting

Pro Football Focus Week 8 SEC QB Grades

10/20/2024

A Sunday morning tradition unlike any other, PFF has released their post-Week eight grades for SEC Quarterbacks for the 2024 season. Here’s how each QB rated out after another crazy weekend of college football and where they ranked nationally.

Only three quarterbacks moved up in the grade and national ranking from week seven to week eight, and all three are freshmen. Nico Iamaleava, LaNorris Sellers, and DJ Lagway each saw a bump after all three got huge wins on Saturday.

Jalen Milroe and Quinn Ewers saw the most significant falls in grades after their putrid outings against ranked opponents. Milroe was especially bad, missing ten open receivers amidst his career high 20 incompletions. Ewers was harassed all night by Kirby Smart’s defense and saw his national rank drop from No. 105 to No. 230 overall in FBS while his grade dropped 11 points from 74.9 to 63.9.

Here are the SEC QB Grades through week eight.

1. Jaxson Dart , Ole Miss

Grade: 90.7

Nat’l Rank: 8

2. Diego Pavia , Vanderbilt

Grade: 89.4

Nat’l Rank: 16

3. Arch Manning, Texas

Grade: 88.6

Nat’l Rank: 24

4. Garrett Nussmeier, LSU

Grade: 85.7

Nat’l Rank: 40

5. Taylen Green, Arkansas

Grade: 83.9

Nat’l Rank: 48

6. Carson Beck, UGA

Grade: 83.2

Nat’l Rank: 53

7. Payton Thorne, Auburn

Grade: 80.1

Nat’l Rank: 68

8. Jalen Milroe, Alabama

Grade: 79.5

Nat’l Rank: 71

9. Brady Cook, Missouri

Grade: 74.9

Nat’l Rank: 110

10. DJ Lagway, Florida

Grade: 72.5

Nat’l Rank: 139

11. Brock Vandagriff, Kentucky

Grade: 71.1

Nat’l Rank: 154

12. Nico Iamaleava, Tennessee

Grade: 66.5

Nat’l Rank: 201

13. LaNorris Sellers, South Carolina

Grade: 64.5

Nat’l Rank: 218

14. Quinn Ewers, Texas

Grade: 63.9

Nat’l Rank: 230

15. Conner Weigman, Texas A&M

Grade: 63.6

Nat’l Rank: 235

16. Michael van Buren, Mississippi State

Grade: 63.1

Nat’l Rank: 241

17. Jackson Arnold, Oklahoma

Grade: 60.5

Nat’l Rank: 260

18. Michael Hawkins, Oklahoma

Grade: 50.8

Nat’l Rank: 300

https://www.louisianasports.net/pro-football-focus-week-8-sec-qb-grades/

Edited by LTtxfan

holy shit Connor Weigman

I'm fascinated by the Quinn situation. There's a good chance he'll never look worse than he did on Saturday. Georgia clearly "wanted to be there" and came out on fire. Then the game situation got out of hand, and they could really let loose. That being said, when the time comes, I am excited about Arch because it does feel like he hangs in the pocket better which allows the vertical passing routes to come open. 

On 10/21/2024 at 6:19 AM, LTtxfan said:

Ewers needs to step up and play better earlier in games.  Multiple podcasts said it was good for Sark to put Manning in to try and light a fire in the offense. 

Coddling Ewers is over -- he's a 3rd year starter and needs to play like it.

HEY QUINN...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

What a wild time to be alive. Sark had the balls to make a QB change which surly claimed he didn't have the balls to do. Arch was pressured ,because our OL got slapped around, which showcased how fast jalon walker is, he almost threw a pick when an underneath route was wide ass open, and he fumbled. He did have that pretty cool 21 yard run that was exciting. His two drives ended in a punt and a fumble. 11 plays 33 yards with 15 of that coming from a face mask on georgia. 10 plays for 18 yards with Arch. I've seen enough, Quinn needs to transfer and lets start the Arch era right now lol. 

On 10/21/2024 at 12:13 PM, LTtxfan said:

Commentary on bringing Arch in vs jawja

Starts at 23:45mark

his take on the call reversal was shit. it's not a kid throwing a fit wanting a candy bar. it was a supreme injustice with officials intervening in the outcome of the game with a horrible call. while a much more extreme situation it's of the same type of pressure as a coach yelling at the official. not a petulant child wanting something he doesn't need.  in fact, if I fuck up with my kids, like big time, and they object - even if they are out of line - it is my responsibility to correct my wrong.... then deal with my child's behavior separately. basically (if you assume Texas fans were wrong) then correct BOTH wrongs.

But Klatt is correct, coaches need the ability to unilaterally challenge plays and calls... big time.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

holy shit Connor Weigman

I'm fascinated by the Quinn situation. There's a good chance he'll never look worse than he did on Saturday. Georgia clearly "wanted to be there" and came out on fire. Then the game situation got out of hand, and they could really let loose. That being said, when the time comes, I am excited about Arch because it does feel like he hangs in the pocket better which allows the vertical passing routes to come open. 

what's lost in all of this is Georgia looked like ass against Bama a few weeks ago. Texas can turn this around and play with fire the rest of the season. As for the QB discussion, Arch will be better than QE, I don't see how he can be this year though.

Klatt had a really good take on the game, it was won and lost in the span of four series where Texas offense shit the bed and they had 3 short fields in a row and were then up 17-0.  Special teams penalty, shit punt, two turnovers and BAM down 3 scores just like that. From that point, the game plan was off the rails and it took too long to get back on track.