Who's been covid vaxxed? Stand up and be counted.

High Plains Drifter

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

THose of you getting the shingles vax, prepare your anuses (ani?). Far worse than any flu or covid shot. 

I had both the shingles shots a few years ago.  Truthfully, for me, it wasn't that bad.  Mild temp, some aching.

Flu shots have never given me any grief.   But every covid shot (and booster) I've had....yeah. Each screwed me over for a couple of days.

FYI, I had my yearly physical last Thursday.  They had the flu shot, but did not have the covid booster yet.

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I take it with 3g of melatonin. Any higher dose of melatonin and I wake up really groggy.

CBD. I take one quarter of a 50 mg HHC gummy from Hometown Hero, and my sleep score goes from in the 50's to in the 90's.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I feel the same, or did, but that helped motivate me to find a path to sleeping much better. Hope you find one too.

my recipe, btw:

no booze Sun-Thurs

no caffeine after 2pm

Up before 7 no matter what

Make a point to be outside when the sun comes up, baring as much skin as possible

No food or anything requiring digestion after 8pm

no Internet after 830

no screens of any kind after 10

Lights out at 1030

white noise/waves

sleep mask

ZMA + L-Theanine at bedtime

If I do all that on any given day it’s 7+ hours of quality sleep. Each one I don’t do is worth about 15 mins off the top, except booze, which can cost me as little as 30 mins and as much as 3-4 hours of sleep by itself depending on how much and when. Also a good workout improves sleep quality and mood by a lot  but doesn’t really help me sleep more.

15 hours ago, South Austin said:

Not to derail the thread over sleep quality, but I've started doing almost all of this about 10 years ago, right around the time I turned 40, except I don't wear a sleep mask and I cut caffeine by 10am.  I found that even 1-2 drinks started affecting the quality of my sleep, and as I got older, low sleep quality had a greater effect on my overall well-being during my work day.  I'll even be at a professional event on a weeknight where almost everyone around me is having a drink, and I just stick to water.  

I'm not perfect and I cheat here and there, but I think the combination of exercise, a good diet, and sleep quality has helped me age as gracefully as I can.  I preach this often to people of all ages.

I have to have caffeine throughout the work day to function. I got about 6 hours of sleep last night, so relatively good for me. 

14 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have to have caffeine throughout the work day to function. I got about 6 hours of sleep last night, so relatively good for me. 

Funny side story: We had a guy in our first year section of law school who would down a Diet Coke at the beginning of class and then fall asleep.

23 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah but that’s a vicious cycle. Have you tried backing it off a little at a time?

Also- have you ever been assessed for ADD/ADHD? Once I finally bent to many years of pleading from family, friends and colleagues and got on ADHD medication* that helped a lot. Turns out microdosing time release methamphetamines alleviates the need for caffeine to function.
WHO KNEW?!

*I am not suggesting anyone lean into an ADHD diagnosis for drugs. I was ADHD my whole life and chose not to treat it because it can be a creative asset if you have good coping strategies.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Funny side story: We had a guy in our first year section of law school who would down a Diet Coke at the beginning of class and then fall asleep.

Well, the best lawyer of all time just wakes up and lets the court know that everything the other guy just said is bullshit.  

RE: sleep aids.    I've never had issues going to sleep over the years, despite my high caffeine intake daily, but I did have issues waking up after 2-3 hours and not going back to sleep.  Once I was awake, that was it.

Until I discovered Zzzquil.    I can take half a dose of this and sleep all night.   If I have to get up to use the restroom, I'll fall back asleep without issue.   

17 hours ago, Deej said:

CBD. I take one quarter of a 50 mg HHC gummy from Hometown Hero, and my sleep score goes from in the 50's to in the 90's.

I posted in the vaccine discussion about my recent severe post-covid experience there's a ton to learn from that.

But hemp oil (all the cannabinoids except THC) has been a major component of my recovery along with diet, exercise, a significant rework and increase of my supplements. Dropped the fad shit and focused heavily on basics like B complex, calcium and magneisum (prednisone inhibits calcium absorbtion), D in case I wasn't getting enough sun. Vit C, Zinc and a few other supps that are more plant/herbal but show significant impact on cellular function specifically cytokine reaction inhibitors. I also changed my all in one plant based supp brand to my benefit.  and don't get me started on the perfect diet, I'm on it. It's magic.

The thing about hemp is that every one wants to "feel" it but we know we need zinc, C, etc. for immune function, we know B complex is really important and we don't feel any of that. we are just wired differently when we think about hemp, but we are only just now beginning to understand what the endocannabinoid system does. It's like dark matter we just recently discovered it (for all intents and purposes) and it is crucial to "homeostasis" - which the post covid infection reaction is anything but homeostasis - the endocanabinoid system impacts everything from immune function, to sleep quality, to inflammatory reaction, to recovery are impacted by that concept.

I've taken as much as 200mg to help sleep in a health crisis, but on a routine basis I take 25mg in the AM, 25mg after lunch and 50 mg before bed. So I'm 100mg per day right now. I believe it to be a critical piece to overall wellness and you don't "feel it" but I generally am feeling more well than without it.

Edited by troph

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The shingles vax was fucking awful, both of them.  But I have a friend who had shingles, and from the sound of it, that's much much much worse.

I told my wife we are going to set aside a weekend for her to take it and feel like shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yeah but that’s a vicious cycle. Have you tried backing it off a little at a time?

Also- have you ever been assessed for ADD/ADHD? Once I finally bent to many years of pleading from family, friends and colleagues and got on ADHD medication* that helped a lot. Turns out microdosing time release methamphetamines alleviates the need for caffeine to function.
WHO KNEW?!

*I am not suggesting anyone lean into an ADHD diagnosis for drugs. I was ADHD my whole life and chose not to treat it because it can be a creative asset if you have good coping strategies.

I'm untreated ADHD and I've learned to cope with great success, otherwise use it to my advantage and chose a career where it is an asset.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The shingles vax was fucking awful, both of them.  But I have a friend who had shingles, and from the sound of it, that's much much much worse.

I got my first shingles vax in nov 2022 and the second vax in jan 2023. I may have been a bit lethargic after them but nothing memorable.

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

I sure as hell feel 25 mg

if it's no THC then it's subtle. I feel it too but it's not what people want, they want to feel high. hemp oil won't get you high but yes, you are correct you can feel it. as a long term supplement it will blend into the background but it will be a critical piece to an overall wellness program. the science is there, folks just haven't caught up to it.

Edited by troph

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

My arm was kinda sore for two days, that’s all. 
Had a mild case of shingles for about a week at the age of 19. It sucked balls, but not as bad as others I’ve heard of.

None of my Moderna Covid vaccines have bothered me at all. 
Mrs, Brat says her shoulder usually gets sore for a day or two.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/7/2024 at 6:15 PM, Deej said:

You talking about this? 

https://hometownhero.com/p/hhc-gummies-strawberry/

I know nothing of this.  Do you take every night or just if you've been in a bad sleep cycle?

Just now, orange dream said:

You talking about this? 

https://hometownhero.com/p/hhc-gummies-strawberry/

I know nothing of this.  Do you take every night or just if you've been in a bad sleep cycle?

That's the one. I take one most nights. Like I said, 1/4 of one does just enough for me. Half of one is where I usually max out at. I took an entire 50 mg one time during the day and it got to the point where I was just ready for it to stop. haha. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Ok, thanks.  I've always been a crappy sleeper and it is getting worse as I get older.

How do these differ from CBD sleep gummies?

I couldn't tell you. I just sleep better on them than the others I've tried. Plus at a quarter gummy a dose, that ten piece bag is less than $1 a dose. If you subscribe, you get 10% off. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2024 at 6:12 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

I had both the shingles shots a few years ago.  Truthfully, for me, it wasn't that bad.  Mild temp, some aching.

Flu shots have never given me any grief.   But every covid shot (and booster) I've had....yeah. Each screwed me over for a couple of days.

FYI, I had my yearly physical last Thursday.  They had the flu shot, but did not have the covid booster yet.

Same experience here. Flu or shingles vax wasn’t an issue. Covid vaccine ruins my weekend. Hell for about 36 hours and several more days to feel back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not COVID, but wife started feeling nauseous around midnight last night and has been throwing up since then, and the only other reported symptom is chills.  I don't think it's food poisoning because we ate the same dinner last night.  Anyone hear of flu making the rounds in Austin already?  Or some other crud?

24 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Maybe not COVID, but wife started feeling nauseous around midnight last night and has been throwing up since then, and the only other reported symptom is chills.  I don't think it's food poisoning because we ate the same dinner last night.  Anyone hear of flu making the rounds in Austin already?  Or some other crud?

Did she recently get new glasses so she can see your face more clearly now?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Was in Austin Thursday to Sunday. Got back home yesterday afternoon and about 11pm I started feeling terrible. Really bad chills, constant diarrhea , I didn’t throw up but I felt like I could have. 

37 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sounds like she's pregnant. Congrats!

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

19 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

People are still getting the Covid vaccine?

I got mine last year. I had COVID and was mildly sick for 2 days. My MIL and wife didn't get it, got COVID right after me and felt like dog shit for 5 days. I got mine again this year.

Edited by Schulz2.0

22 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Multiple times a day.  Really helps my cell phone reception.  Got the combo flu/covid.

I’m also the only person I know (including my whole family) who hasn’t had the Rona yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

I’ve wondered this as well.  How many Covid boosters are being given?  Last I looked—been about 2 years, it was a very small percentage of the country that is still getting boosted.  Surely still in the millions though.  My last booster was 11/21.  

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Things have been a little slower since spring - summer slowdown and election year has things a little wonky.  

My line of business is still pretty strong (2011 market) and we’re starting to see a little uptick in overall sales.