Who's been covid vaxxed? Stand up and be counted.

High Plains Drifter

44 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

Don't you know that Pharma companies have our best interest at heart?

Exactly.  Didn’t Moderna or someone have to throw a bunch of vaccines away?  I remember somebody did.  Maybe they were boosters - was it because nobody wanted them or what?

I am not anti vaccine.  But I ain’t pro 47 boosters to “stop the spread” either. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Exactly.  Didn’t Moderna or someone have to throw a bunch of vaccines away?  I remember somebody did.  Maybe they were boosters - was it because nobody wanted them or what?

I am not anti vaccine.  But I ain’t pro 47 boosters to “stop the spread” either. 

I'm actually pro 46 boosters to “stop the spread."  But 47, nah, that's taking it just too far.

• Haha 1

I & my wife get the boosters to lessenthe severity of the symptoms in case we catch it.

But we’ve been lucky so far and haven’t caught the bug yet. We don’t wear masks, we carry hand sanitizers, and when we go out to dine at restaurants we go at the least busy hours.

One of my sons and his two boys were vaxxed, but they’ve had the Covid 2 or 3 times each. Not deathly ill, but still pretty sick fot the better part of a week each time.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 3

Trust Covid to bring out the stupid.  It’s a virus just like the flu now, feel free to catch it and get fucked up or take a shot to mitigate the symptoms.  What the fuck ever.  It’s become a simple IQ test for me.  Anyone who is scared of immunization is too dumb to engage with.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Actually yeah.  I haven’t had a flu shot in 30 years. Since I was like 18.  

It's not a can't miss appointment anymore. But it's free, easy, and harmless. If I remember in the fall, I'll swing by CVS on a shopping trip and get it and the flu shot knocked out. If I forget, so be it. I don't judge others one way or the other.

Apologies, in my personal experience, someone asking, "People are still getting the COVID vaccine?" typically have ulterior motives for the question.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

22 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

Never taken it, no idea. Once again, just because I am not bleeding left doesn't make me the extreme right either. This is exactly the problem with this site.

We know who you’re voting for this election. That’s extreme right no matter how you slice it.

34 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

Never taken it, no idea. Once again, just because I am not bleeding left doesn't make me the extreme right either. This is exactly the problem with this site.

It’s bleeding left to get vaccinated?  Thanks for the science lesson!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, Handcruser said:

It’s not really “stop the spread” for me anymore, just like the flu isn’t.  I get those shots to reduce the chance that I’m knocked on my ass and out several days from work, or at least reduce the severity and duration of symptoms. And like the flu shot, it’s free.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, HellesBier said:

Exactly.  I follow my Dr.’s advice.  He, of course, recommends vaccines for the usual deadly diseases and the Shringrix and the one for girls that prevents cervical cancer.  We’ve vaccinated our girls with every available vaccine when they were young.  I get an annual flu shot every year-as I did two weeks ago.  But my doc says the Covid shots don’t really work based his anecdotal evidence and what he’s read and he’s seen that they actually reduce your immunity in general.  My layman’s observation is that they are not effective.  So after two Pfizer shots and a Moderna booster I stopped getting them.  So far so good.  I got Covid in June 22 (8 months after last booster) and it wasn’t as bad as my seasonal allergies.  I’ve been exposed numerous times since then at numerous weddings (sitting 2 feet away from people that had Covid) and other events and still haven’t gotten sick again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Handcruser said:

People are still getting the Covid vaccine?

Yes.  Some of us are at risk for a bad outcome, and others would prefer to feel crappy for a day to reduce that risk or the risk of feeling like shit for up to a week or more (the most recent variant appears to be nasty).

Last week my BIL had to postpone gall bladder removal due to heart damage suffered from his most recent COVID infection.

Your health is your business, and I hope for your sake and your family's that you take it seriously.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

But my doc says the Covid shots don’t really work based his anecdotal evidence and what he’s read and he’s seen that they actually reduce your immunity in general.  

I'm sure your doctor's great.  My doctor has recommended both flu and COVID for me based on scientific research rather than anecdotal evidence.  Here's a blurb from a recent article on the Yale School of Medicine's website applicable to both Pfizer & Moderna versions:

The 2024-2025 updated vaccines were approved based on preclinical studies of their efficacy against circulating strains. Some people may still become infected even though they have been vaccinated, but the goal of the vaccines now is to prevent severe disease, hospitalization and death. Research has suggested that people who are infected after vaccination also are less likely to report Long COVID (defined as signs, symptoms, and conditions that continue or develop after acute COVID infection), compared to those who were not vaccinated.

In its recommendations for COVID vaccines, the CDC has cited a study showing the risk of cardiac complications, including myocarditis (an inflammation of the heart muscle), in males 12-17 years old was 1.8–5.6 times higher after a COVID infection compared to after COVID vaccination.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-vaccine-comparison

I'm not aware of any scientific research supporting the proposition that COVID vaccines reduce your immunity in general.  At least one study suggests vaccines provide protection without the risk of development of autoantibodies that accompany immunity from a natural infection:

Since the introduction of SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccines, there has been an ongoing debate about whether vaccinations or natural immunity provide superior protection. New research shows that while both build immunity to the virus, mRNA vaccines side-step the development of self-attacking antibodies—known as autoantibodies—that frequently occur in COVID-19 patients.

Evidence increasingly supports a connection between COVID-19 infection and autoimmunity, in which patients' immune systems target their own tissues. However, it was unclear if vaccination posed the same risk. To investigate, a team led by Aaron Ring, MD, PhD, associate professor of immunobiology; and Akiko Iwasaki, PhD, Sterling Professor of Immunobiology and professor of dermatology; of molecular, cellular & developmental biology; and of epidemiology (microbial diseases), measured the presence of self-reactive autoantibodies in blood samples from individuals before and after vaccination and compared this to changes in autoantibody levels in COVID-19 patients. They found that while many new autoantibodies formed in infected patients, they did not see new autoantibodies in those who received the vaccination. Their findings were published in Nature Communications on March 9.

https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/vaccination-has-a-lower-risk-of-autoantibody-development-than-natural-immunity/

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

You should probably get a new doctor if he's passing along anecdotal stories to help convince you that certain vaccines are completely ineffective and may actually make it worse.

I can see a doctor treating it almost identical to the flu shot and saying that it's up the patient, and you'll almost certainly be just fine if you don't get it (like my doctor). But actively reinforcing your "layman's observations" that go against the data? 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

You should probably get a new doctor if he's passing along anecdotal stories to help convince you that certain vaccines are completely ineffective and may actually make it worse.

I can see a doctor treating it almost identical to the flu shot and saying that it's up the patient, and you'll almost certainly be just fine if you don't get it (like my doctor). But actively reinforcing your "layman's observations" that go against the data? 

At first I was skeptical of his story, but then I remembered some of the doctors I know and realized it was probably true.

5 hours ago, HouTex said:

and the one for girls that prevents cervical cancer. 

Boys need to get that one, too.

Regarding covid vaccines: one, a doc citing "anecdotal evidence" that flies in the face of proven science is a quack, and you need to find a new doc.  Two, as people age and develop chronic illness it makes all kinds of sense to minimize the severity of various viruses, etc.  So yeah, don't be stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

You guys are ignoring the part about what he’s read.  He’s read the studies too.  Not just anecdotal evidence.  Hell, I don’t need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.  I know people who get the shots as often as they can and they still get Covid-more than once.  I know people who have never gotten the shots and they got Covid with light symptoms or not at all.  It’s all over the place.  Of course, I’m not talking (nor is my doc) about people with other health issues.  They have those problems to consider in whether they should keep getting jabbed.  For me, I’m comfortable listening to my doc. 

24 minutes ago, HouTex said:

You guys are ignoring the part about what he’s read.  He’s read the studies too.  Not just anecdotal evidence.  Hell, I don’t need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.  I know people who get the shots as often as they can and they still get Covid-more than once.  I know people who have never gotten the shots and they got Covid with light symptoms or not at all.  It’s all over the place.  Of course, I’m not talking (nor is my doc) about people with other health issues.  They have those problems to consider in whether they should keep getting jabbed.  For me, I’m comfortable listening to my doc. 

Did your doc go to the Hollywood Upstairs Medical College?

Discuss Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, HouTex said:

News flash:  vaccines aren't 100% effective against transmission.  Second news flash:  sometimes people who are not vaccinated get the virus and suffer only mild symptoms.

Based on what you've said about your doc, I'd be doc shopping, but you do you with "the jab" (for fuck's sake, be a little less transparent).

• Hook 'Em 2