Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

If you haven't yet, you gotta try the newfangled nail clippers.

Since it concentrates the force to a shorter lever, it has a lot more power. Your clippings won't go flying all over the place. It's like a knife slicing through butter instead of a hammer smashing a vase, like with old school clippers.

Maybe they've been around but it's new to me.

Screenshot_20240829-1052332.png.1af513e70f060294b7f74850647e08cb.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Do you think humanity would survive Maximum Overdrive in 2024? If yes, how much of the population is wiped out?

Probably not but at least we’d get a bitchin ac/dc soundtrack and Emilio would get one more paycheck on our way out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Ive never attempted a football field goal in my life but im convinced i could clear a 35yd’er. 

is that a realistic-easy feat or one of those people-overestimate-their-ability kind of thing?

Absolutely freaking overestimation. Try it at your local middle school. You can’t do it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last night was the first time catching Jaws on tv this summer usually find it a couple times a week during the summer.  Also caught the tail end of Bad News Bears and still wonder how a pos like Roy Turner got himself a dime piece of a wife. 

Because I dont talk about defecation with people in real life….does anyone else make a toilet paper floaties to prevent splashing? 

Before I shit i lay about 2 layers of TP on the surface of the water. And then after a particularly smelly turd I might drape another square of paper on top to reduce the emissive smell. 

Less splashing, less odorous. 

Is that just me or nah?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Anyone know what’s going on with the skin on my daughter’s hand?

Dark splotches developed a week ago, and now it’s starting on her other hand.

We have an appointment tomorrow to get an opinion. I’m really concerned.

IMG_4343.thumb.jpeg.26f8bc063602d11461f1f9783db9a940.jpeg

Worst Henna I have ever seen!

But seriously hope it is nothing.

The Emperor.

It was a rather weird iconoclastic point of pride for me that, after moving to SD in '96 for grad school, I never made it to Sea World until a couple of years ago. Once I finally went, I see that one roller coaster; like its namesake penguin species, the tallest of the bunch.

Not only does it feature a 14-story near-vertical drop to open, but the train actually crests the peak and pauses, for several seconds, with your feet dangling (there is no floor) and your head looking down a slope 5 degrees off of perpendicular. And there, if you're dumb enough to open your eyes, you notice that you can't see the track all the way down. That's because it not only goes full perpendicular, but then it actually scoops inwards a little bit before you get scooped back up and sent into the first loop.

And I swore there was absolutely no way I would ever get on that ride. Nope. Not gonna do it. Terrified of heights. I'll ride the Manta a seventeenth time, but I ain't doin' that shit. Make me look at my fate and consider my poor life choices before you drop me? Fuck that.

Today, I'm there with my daughter and we're having a great time; Michigan has been defeated soundly in their home, Notre Dame lost to NIU in their own house, OU is struggling with Houston for fuck's sake and life is good. And while in line for the brilliantly-designed flume ride Journey to Atlantis,* a very stupid thought led to a very stupid sentence escaping my lips: "I think I might actually be brave enough to try that."

My 10-year-old daughter seized the moment. "I dare you. I double dog dare you. We're going on it."

After Atlantis, I looked at my watch (are we close to closing time?) checked my condition (hungry? need to shit? anything?) and realized I'd done it to myself. I had no legitimate excuses. Sure, I could just declare "We're not doing it" and ... what lesson would my daughter learn from that?

There was almost no line.

As soon as the ride started going up, that was it. I closed my eyes. I kept them closed until we were at the end of first drop. From then on, it was 50/50. Was my daughter scared? Hell no. She was whooping it up and smiling and having a great time.**

"We're doing it again, and we're getting in the front row, this time."

We got to the top, and I opened my eyes this time. The view was great! And then we got to that stop at the top and I looked down, saw where the track disappeared, and wished I had kept 'em shut.

By the end of that ride, my heart couldn't take it any more. But my daughter was going to go again, this time by herself. While waiting, there was a delay in starting the ride, as a young woman Just Could Not and got back out of her seat. And on the video I took, you can hear me tell her, "I don't blame you. I don't blame you one bit."

My nerves didn't calm down again until we were almost arrived to the Butcher N Cheese*** for dinner.

*Seriously, it's amazing. You think you've just finished a bog-standard flume ride and are heading back to the loading area... but no, you get lifted up onto an elevator and then it becomes a massive roller coaster ride... and hits another pool cleverly hidden away, with fences blocking your view from the park and even the loading area.

**I, meanwhile, was swearing up a blue streak right in front of my kid. I made no apologies.

***Might bloody well be the best burgers I've ever eaten. The meat is all fresh-ground, the buns come from an excellent bakery half a block away and are fresh and flawless, and every topping has time and homemade effort put into them.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I never pay attention to who writes which articles on espn, i just read the content. 

But occasionally the article is so awkward and irritating and I scroll back up and its always the same fucking guy: David Hale

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Deej said:

Who buys the food people are selling on Facebook Marketplace?

Screenshot_20240908_191240_Facebook.jpg

I had a friend talk about a lady on Facebook (not marketplace you have to follow her) that does lunches and deliveries for orders of three or more….  I laughed at first, then I looked at her facebook.  I’ve ordered a few times and it’s been good every time and cheaper than ubereats. 

IMG_7374.jpeg

IMG_7372.jpeg

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 3

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I had a friend talk about a lady on Facebook (not marketplace you have to follow her) that does lunches and deliveries for orders of three or more….  I laughed at first, then I looked at her facebook.  I’ve ordered a few times and it’s been good every time and cheaper than ubereats. 

IMG_7372.jpeg

would.

On 8/22/2024 at 12:41 PM, Macanudo said:

I learned this week that Denton does not have an HEB but there is an Albertson's (in Texas they are almost exclusively in the DFW market) and a WinCo (same thing, DFW or OKC and then the west coast.)

Winco is one of those shitty warehouse-style places where you bag your own groceries, and the layout makes no fucking sense at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/5/2024 at 3:30 PM, ABSR said:

Worst Henna I have ever seen!

But seriously hope it is nothing.

Her pediatrician looked at it for all of 3 seconds and said it was phytophotodematitis, a.k.a. margarita burn, caused by having citrus juice on your hands and then going out in the sun. There's a chemical reaction that causes the skin to darken.

Apparently my daughter was making lime-aid with her friends and didn't wash her hands properly (understandable because limes are delicious).  They spent the rest of the afternoon at the pool where she didn't apply sunblock because she's dumb that way.

It'll take a few weeks / months for the skin to go back to normal.

Whew.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Her pediatrician looked at it for all of 3 seconds and said it was phytophotodematitis, a.k.a. margarita burn, caused by having citrus juice on your hands and then going out in the sun. There's a chemical reaction that causes the skin to darken.
Apparently my daughter was making lime-aid with her friends and didn't wash her hands properly (understandable because limes are delicious).  They spent the rest of the afternoon at the pool where she didn't apply sunblock because she's dumb that way.
It'll take a few weeks / months for the skin to go back to normal.
Whew.

My daughter had the exact same thing this summer.