Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

They upgraded the lighting in the bathroom at my office building. Brand new LEDs everywhere. Now it looks like when you're in a strip club at closing time and they flip on the lights and tell you to GTFO. Everything looks run down and trashy and you're wondering why you're in there.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Sandman said:

They upgraded the lighting in the bathroom at my office building. Brand new LEDs everywhere. Now it looks like when you're in a strip club at closing time and they flip on the lights and tell you to GTFO. Everything looks run down and trashy and you're wondering why you're in there.

LEDs are far superior to fluorescent, in every single aspect.  However, the color is extremely important to get right.  Replacing crappy fluorescent with bright white LEDs is barely an upgrade.  Gotta go with the warmer tones.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

The dichotomy of internet commerce technology is pretty amusing. 

On one side you have hidden cookies and cross-browser trackers and advanced user profiling where blacklab knows to the decimal point what percentage of visitors clicked-through to a banner for sperm whale oil. 

On the other side you have podcasts where its like “to get 15% off your first order of unicorn juice enter the code ‘nancygrace15’ on the order form thats ‘n-a-n-c-y-grace-one-five’” cuz theres no other way they know where the traffic is coming from. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

Hey man, it's the only place where I can snort blow in private.

On 6/15/2024 at 8:16 PM, YGIFS said:

i've flown through there dozens of times and I never made the connection from mid-continent int'l to the defunct phone carrier.  

About 10 years ago, we had this dipshit exec. asst. that I let handle my travel bookings for a few months before I couldn't take it anynore.  She could come up the most creative ways to fuck them up.  She would just google the name of the airport and assume that's what would type in the field to book it under my already pre-filled airline profiles.  So I'd say, "Natalie, on Thursday...AUS to MCI."  And she's ping me back with "Looks like it's called KCI, for Kansas City Int't."  She did the same think with Newark Liberty once, told her to just book "AUS TO EWR" and she replies with "EWR" doesn't really seem like it has much to do with Liberty.  She would call me to the front because she didn't understand why my ORD instructions weren't 'CHI' or what the X in "LAX" stood for.  I finally had to tell her "the 3-letter code aren't the always the fucking first 3 letters of the city."  Took me a month to get approval for my own card so I book my own shit.  

I'll never forget how confused she was when she found out FLL-Hollywood airport wasn't in California.  

Everything about booking through the Cincinnati airport would blow her mind.

Brings back a lot of awkward memories.  Never booked Cincinnati, but now I'm remembering how baffled she was when I insisted on Reagan Int'l over Dulles, but when she's enter 'Washington, D.C.', the default was Dulles and I had to explain "Just manually enter DCA."  And she was like "Oh, like Dulles Commercial Airport?"  Dammit Natalie, I'll be there in a few minutes to walk you through it.  I swear if I hadn't gotten my own travel card, I would have asked her for "SMF" to see LP's in Sacramento/Napa.  And she would have asked "The Smurfs have an airport?"  She's lucky she lives in Austin/AUS otherwise she'd never make it out of state alive.  

the brazilians call brass knuckles 'english punch' (soco ingles). the canadians and french call it 'american fist' (poing or coup de poing americain).  and i find amusing the specificity of law that it and other weapons are illegal in many jurisdiction when you could well carry a pipe wrench or other instrument for similar effect.

or butterfly knives.  illegal in many places.  but a pocket knife of reasonable blade length is completely fine. 

I knew a girl from Montreal and another in Lyon who liked to blame a game with me called, "Two Girls, One American Fist."  

It gets weird at the end.  But you learn a good bit of French vocabulary just by their safety words.

All right, this Roland Cloud thing is turning out to be one helluva rabbit hole.

Started out simple enough. I was tired of shitty free versions of the MT-32, so I thought "Hey, I could do a trial, see if their D-50 is what I want" and hey, wouldja know it, you get a second "Legendary" license for the Pro sub, so I grab the JUPITER-8 emulator. (Oh, and their entire modern synth/effects engines, Zenology.)

Except now I realize the J8 is what I wanted all along -- a proper analog synth -- so I hardly ever touch the D-50, but I notice the CPU is pegged at 90% when I use it on my old laptop. Time for a new laptop.

And now I'm having fun except the old audio interface I've been using doesn't have updated ASIO drivers, so I upgraded that. The new interface, though, comes with a Marshall Silver Edition emulator bundled. So now I've bought myself an electric guitar...

And then they come up with a free offer, renew now and get a "lifetime" key to a Legendary. So now I have the Jupiter-8 for good, and I am trying to figure out what Legendary VST I'll get to use with my now-freed-up second license...

it just keeps getting deeper and deeper and deeper and I am definitely well through the looking glass now, mr. rabbit!

We're all mad. We're all mad, here.

alice in wonderland GIF

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

All right, this Roland Cloud thing is turning out to be one helluva rabbit hole.

Started out simple enough. I was tired of shitty free versions of the MT-32, so I thought "Hey, I could do a trial, see if their D-50 is what I want" and hey, wouldja know it, you get a second "Legendary" license for the Pro sub, so I grab the JUPITER-8 emulator. (Oh, and their entire modern synth/effects engines, Zenology.)

Except now I realize the J8 is what I wanted all along -- a proper analog synth -- so I hardly ever touch the D-50, but I notice the CPU is pegged at 90% when I use it on my old laptop. Time for a new laptop.

And now I'm having fun except the old audio interface I've been using doesn't have updated ASIO drivers, so I upgraded that. The new interface, though, comes with a Marshall Silver Edition emulator bundled. So now I've bought myself an electric guitar...

And then they come up with a free offer, renew now and get a "lifetime" key to a Legendary. So now I have the Jupiter-8 for good, and I am trying to figure out what Legendary VST I'll get to use with my now-freed-up second license...

it just keeps getting deeper and deeper and deeper and I am definitely well through the looking glass now, mr. rabbit!

We're all mad. We're all mad, here.

alice in wonderland GIF

2fe165d7-3eb7-4f22-afe0-038af6b6b0dc_tex

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

The amount of guys who are suddenly going to be spit on in the next month or so…

That’s occurred to me too. Both guys and girls are going to think this is actually a thing now. And thus it will become a thing. 
Hawk Thua girl was clearly being ridiculous. But now it will be an actual practice. We live in interesting times. 

The waze map showing active users on the road is completely fake, right?

A decade ago when I used it it already seemed fake. I’d always see the avatars around me, and none of the cars ever had their phones visibly mounted, and sometimes there weren’t cars at all. 

Today I reinstalled it on a whim and panning over the highway sections, it looks as if theres a traffic jam populated exclusively of waze users?

My most generous interpretation is that its sending location updates from people without the app open (which robs a lot of battery and data), AND theyre keeping phantom avatars on the map from 5,10,15 minutes ago…but still that seems insufficient an explanation.

Its all fake, right?

IMG_6930.jpeg

9 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The waze map showing active users on the road is completely fake, right?

A decade ago when I used it it already seemed fake. I’d always see the avatars around me, and none of the cars ever had their phones visibly mounted, and sometimes there weren’t cars at all. 

Today I reinstalled it on a whim and panning over the highway sections, it looks as if theres a traffic jam populated exclusively of waze users?

My most generous interpretation is that its sending location updates from people without the app open (which robs a lot of battery and data), AND theyre keeping phantom avatars on the map from 5,10,15 minutes ago…but still that seems insufficient an explanation.

Its all fake, right?

IMG_6930.jpeg

I think it’s just lagged data. Users that drove through there sometime in the recent past. 

I used to swear by Waze. But I’ve seen a few articles recently comparing Waze, Google Maps, and Apple Maps, which concluded that AM actually has improved to the point that it has superior routing algorithms with better results. 
Yes, I’m aware that Waze is a Google company now. 

54 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Does AM list live reports? For example, speed traps?

That’s the only reason I use waze, for the community reports. 

No, AM does not give live reports, in particular speed traps. 
What I’ve started playing with is using AM for the actual navigation, but leaving Waze open in the background. I still get the speed trap reports.

Nice side benefit is that AM actually integrates with my truck’s nav, so I get the heads-up next-turn prompt on my dashboard, not just on the map display. Google/Waze don’t do that. I found this out by accident.

• Hook 'Em 1

During a summer road trip earlier this month, was drilling down with my oldest on how to read a road atlas, compass, and watch to calculate distance and time (obviously NAV systems are helpful for road closures and accidents, but wanted her to know how to do it traditional cartography like my ancestors---she's getting good at reading constellations when go out on walks after 9:00p).  So she's learning the numbering system, and mile markers, and cardinal directions, and the little digits in between points to indicate mileage distance.  And she's learning all kinda cool shit from geography, to maths, etc.  And I was so proud.  Then after lunch I look at her and she's doing that expand thing with her right hand to make the Atlas map appear larger/zoom-in.  And I didn't say anything, just slunk  my head in shame.  You just learned more navigation in the last 3 hours than 99% of humanity ever learned in their whole lives.  And now you think you can make the paper map zoom in by using your thumb and index finger?  When the whole interwebs comes grinding down, we are truly fucked.  

50% of her advanced 4th grade class thinks the earth is flat and the sound moves around us.  Never mind, they have no fucking clue which direction the sun travels.  

• Haha 1