Gold bug / silver bug / numismatic / metals thread

52-80

• 4 weeks later...

Digging thru my stash and remember i got this: limited edition 25th anniversary philharmonik gold proof set of 1oz + 0.25oz. Bought one of the few remaining ones directly from the mint. 

Paid ~1500 and now its well north of ~3000, and thats for the individual coins, without premium of the set 

Also have receipt for some other bars and coins but have no idea where the items are!

IMG_7915.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2024 at 4:08 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Honestly I haven't thought about metals since the prices shot up. I am under spousal orders not to sell, and I think there's too much chance it'll go down again to buy.

I finally got Mrs. CHIEF to realize that what I have bought up is not really an investment. It is never to be sold. I bought it to have something to trade with if the dollar becomes worthless. It might not happen in my lifetime, or even her lifetime. But could definitely happen in CHIEF Jr.'s lifetime. I think having precious metals for such a situation is prudent.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I finally got Mrs. CHIEF to realize that what I have bought up is not really an investment. It is never to be sold. I bought it to have something to trade with if the dollar becomes worthless. It might not happen in my lifetime, or even her lifetime. But could definitely happen in CHIEF Jr.'s lifetime. I think having precious metals for such a situation is prudent.

CHIEF

I'm 10% buying it as a savings, and 90% because it's shiny and heavy.

You could stun an ox with a well-thrown Panamanian 20 Balboas coin.

Bought quite a bit of silver bars and a bit of gold around 18 months ago when silver was $20.  Now up 50% in the silver, around 10% in the gold.  Seriously wondering if it's time to sell or just keep it.  I definitely don't need the cash at all.  I'll probably just keep it and end up giving it to my kid when I die.  I'm currently 36 years old.  That'll be a nice little chunk of change for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1