Bourbon

Jimbaround

My Spec’s funk is going on 3 years. I had to twist their arm on last score, and the Wild Turkey Generations was a car payment. They seem to enjoy the social media attention long lines and floor drops bring. I’m still shocked they put both of the big 13th Colony releases and 1924 out front. Those are automatic call list items in recent years. 

My options are very limited. The Memorial Total Wine might be the worst location in the southern United States. Goody Goody is down to 1 store in Houston and its long ass drive littered with stoplights. Twin is still suburbs only. You could go to WB 100 times and never find anything. Posting WB scores on Facebook is a flipper red flag. Roma and Ly’s are terrific for store picks, but I don’t shop there enough to make their allocated list. I’m not driving to NASA. And that’s about it. The rest of the city is a lot of mom and pop stores with glass cases and museum prices if they can get allocated bottles at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Specs is great if you want to get hard sold on Doc Holiday’s Limited Reserve Texas Edition Texas Sheet Cake Blended Canadian Whisky. 

I’m friendly with the bourbon guys at flagship location. Really there are only 2 guys that routinely work the bourbon and rye aisle. They know better. The Russian guy tries to sell me some $120 picks about twice a year, but that’s about it. That’s his job. 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My Spec’s funk is going on 3 years. I had to twist their arm on last score, and the Wild Turkey Generations was a car payment. They seem to enjoy the social media attention long lines and floor drops bring. I’m still shocked they put both of the big 13th Colony releases and 1924 out front. Those are automatic call list items in recent years. 

My options are very limited. The Memorial Total Wine might be the worst location in the southern United States. Goody Goody is down to 1 store in Houston and its long ass drive littered with stoplights. Twin is still suburbs only. You could go to WB 100 times and never find anything. Posting WB scores on Facebook is a flipper red flag. Roma and Ly’s are terrific for store picks, but I don’t shop there enough to make their allocated list. I’m not driving to NASA. And that’s about it. The rest of the city is a lot of mom and pop stores with glass cases and museum prices if they can get allocated bottles at all. 

i've gotten turned off of specs and rarely go anymore.  i've had some suspicious suggestions, that probably work on a lot of bourbon shoppers, but that's not really it.  i just think total is a more pleasant experience.   the one suspicious thing about total is, that have about 10 brands you never heard of or seen in your life.  makes you wonder.  and they'll have 8 cases of one of them stacked in the aisle.  if a liquor stored ordered a case of buffalo trace, they might get one bottle.  how you gonna get 8 cases of something?  red flags a-flappin.  if you buys 8 cases of this i'll let you use my timeshare in cabo.  somekind of kickback deal going on.

when i lived in san antonio it was a dearth of liquor stores.  austin is lucky to have many quality independent liquor stores.  i hit a few routinely, and still like to visit total but mostly for non-bourbon things.

11 hours ago, Slacks said:

Is Buffalo Trace hard to get? 

was in frankfort for spring break and they were flying off the shelf like they were gold.  i had no idea it was hard to find now either, but was at 3 liquor stores here in austin on monday and didnt see a bottle.

Now I can go ahead and finish up one bottle because I got a freshy to back it up.

0482b4bd3f7423f1c8f1ed6b5a24f88b.jpg

Got it from my local liquor store on the monthly drawing they do. I got the 7th pick this month and surprisingly this was still available at $90. That’s a damn sight better than some of the prices I’ve seen out in the wild. Based on the date lasered into the bottle, this is a 2023 and I’ve read good things about this vintage. Probably gonna sit on it for a while since I don’t know when I’ll come across another.

Been in Paris and Switzerland Alps this past week.  Only bourbons I’ve found are Bullett and Jack Daniels.  In Zurich tonight so we will see if I can find anything different.  Ready to get back to the states.  I’m just not a wine drinker.  

9 hours ago, stork642 said:

Been in Paris and Switzerland Alps this past week.  Only bourbons I’ve found are Bullett and Jack Daniels.  In Zurich tonight so we will see if I can find anything different.  Ready to get back to the states.  I’m just not a wine drinker.  

Eh… I’d try to make it work in that part of the world. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Eh… I’d try to make it work in that part of the world. 

Trip was great and I’m definitely not complaining just thought there would be a little better bourbon selection.  That being said I definitely made it work.  

I'm headed up to Kentucky in a couple of weeks with the wife. Staying in Bardstown for a night and then up in Lexington for two.  Plan to hit up a bunch of distilleries.  Any recommendations or tips? 

Wondering whether it is better to have a separate thread as it can get lost in these 410+ pages.

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

I'm headed up to Kentucky in a couple of weeks with the wife. Staying in Bardstown for a night and then up in Lexington for two.  Plan to hit up a bunch of distilleries.  Any recommendations or tips? 

Wondering whether it is better to have a separate thread as it can get lost in these 410+ pages.

i did two nights in bardstown and 1 in lousville, and it was about 2 nights too short.  in bardstown, really enjoyed willet, makers mark, and evan williams.  not sure which direction lexington is but we took the backroads from bardstown to louisville and hit four roses, woodford, turkey, and then on to frankfort and buffalo trace, which is pretty much the outskirts of louisville.

The egg sangwiches at Willett are finominile.

This.

And the food at Bardstown Bourbon Co is outstanding and they have by far the best bar.
So many dusty bottles.
Take a tour at BT and Makers.
Then just hit the gift shops at the others.
Lux row has a killer 12 yr distillery only bottle and hit whiskey row in Louisville.
Michter’s bottle your own is awesome if offered.

13 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Buffalo Trace is the hardest to find good but not great mid shelf bourbon on the market. 

And it really depends where you are.

I feel confident I could buy a bottle or more at multiple places tomorrow in west Houston.  YMMV

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

I helped out a friend recently and he sent me a token of appreciation. I had no idea what coming my way until today. 

IMG_9741.jpeg

What, did you help him dispose of a dead body? That's some token. 

Edited by Mo Horn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

What, did you help him dispose of a dead body? That's some token. 

I’ll just say that I helped him procure a very popular (and completely legal) item that is very hard to come across. 

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

I’ll just say that I helped him procure a very popular (and completely legal) item that is very hard to come across. 

Come on.  It was Beanie Babies, wasn't it.  You can tell us, you are among friends!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2024 at 8:48 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Buffalo Trace is the hardest to find good but not great mid shelf bourbon on the market. 

On 6/5/2024 at 10:30 PM, huge said:

And it really depends where you are.

I feel confident I could buy a bottle or more at multiple places tomorrow in west Houston.  YMMV

I can get it every day.  I had no idea. It's good in the hood.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tonight is starting off nicely…

Copped some Old Fitz 19 at Murray’s and now currently sipping WT Unforgotten at the Grackle. Both have been outstanding, but damn the sweet notes on the back of that Fitz were unexpected.

4 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

6f3f20b0d5fa9464ad7a99fd1b19f29d.jpg
Soooooo…I started putting ice on this and it tamps down that dill note. To a point where the bottle is almost gone. I will definitely buy another and drink this on ice. I just can’t do it neat.

I don’t get dill or bubble gum in B12 which is unusual for MGP ryes. I’m glad you found a way to enjoy it. It’s a terrific bottle for the price. 

• Like 2

So, I tried Col E H Taylor earlier this week while on the road. I didn't care for it. It was a bit peaty like a scotch, which I also don't care for. 

I picked up another Booker's yesterday as a gift for a buddy.... That way, we can drink his instead of mine.