Bourbon

Jimbaround

Did you get the cute guide with the gravel in throat voice? Can’t remember her name but when I did the bourbon trail 4 or 5 years ago, she was the best one of all the distilleries we visited.

Am I the only one who likes old fashioneds served "up"?  I never, ever see them served this way, but it is by far my favorite way to drink them.  My recipe:

• 2 oz rye whisky (typically Bulleit)
  • couple bar spoons of simple syrup
  • few shakes of angostura bitters
  • a large slice of lemon peel (no pulp)

No ice. No water. No cherry. No orange slice. Just the above served at room temp.  I like being able to sip on it for an hour and it not get watered down.  T 

My wife likes the above, except made with bourbon (typically Buffalo Trace or Wild Turkey 101) and orange peel.  I'll sometimes make the simple syrup out of demerara sugar if I'm feeling sporty. 

Orange peel and bourbon (or) lemon peel and rye.  I have never understood why people will drink whisky neat, but then water down an old fashioned with a bunch of ice.  I guess it is basically like a Sazarac, but without the absinthe.

15 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Orange peel and bourbon (or) lemon peel and rye.  I have never understood why people will drink whisky neat, but then water down an old fashioned with a bunch of ice.  I guess it is basically like a Sazarac, but without the absinthe.

At least personally, I’ve never had the patience to drink them so slowly the ice actually melted all that much.  

• Like 4

Am I the only one who likes old fashioneds served "up"?  I never, ever see them served this way, but it is by far my favorite way to drink them.

You may be the only one, but you do you. It’s your cocktail. Drink em how you like em I say.

Have you tried any other Ryes other than Bulliett? Lots of good ones out there.
Am I the only one who likes old fashioneds served "up"?  I never, ever see them served this way, but it is by far my favorite way to drink them.

You may be the only one, but you do you. It’s your cocktail. Drink em how you like em I say.

Have you tried any Ryes other than Bulliett? Lots of good ones out there.

Got this message from my local liquor store. What say you, surly? What would you pick?

You are our 4th pick for june drawing. Below are your options. Please let us know what you'd like and we'll keep it aside for you. Thank you for participating! We really appreciate your business.

*Elijah Craig toasted $82.99
*Eagle Rare $54.99
*Blanton $109.99
*EH Taylor single Barrel $129.99
*EH Taylor small batch -69.99
*Bookers 2024-1 - $129.99
*Jack daniel's Sinatra- 179.99
*1792 full Proof- 69.99
*1792 bottle in bond- $59.99

23 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

Got this message from my local liquor store. What say you, surly? What would you pick?

You are our 4th pick for june drawing. Below are your options. Please let us know what you'd like and we'll keep it aside for you. Thank you for participating! We really appreciate your business.

*Eagle Rare $54.99
*Blanton $109.99
*1792 full Proof- 69.99

I'd pass on the Sinatra. More than I'd pay for that. Blanton and Bookers also seemed to be priced a bit high, but I'd probably still do it. The rest are an easy yes. If I could only pick 1, I'd go with one of the EH Taylors. I'd just have to decide if I wanted to spend the money for the higher priced one. In the end I'd go with the small batch. 

1 hour ago, Txslnghrns said:

*Eagle Rare $54.99
*Blanton $109.99
*1792 full Proof- 69.99

Those prices suck. I’d probably go EHT SiB, but I wouldn’t feel great about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'd pass on the Sinatra. More than I'd pay for that. Blanton and Bookers also seemed to be priced a bit high, but I'd probably still do it. The rest are an easy yes. If I could only pick 1, I'd go with one of the EH Taylors. I'd just have to decide if I wanted to spend the money for the higher priced one. In the end I'd go with the small batch. 

Those prices suck. I’d probably go EHT SiB, but I wouldn’t feel great about it. 

Agree on the pricing. The Sinatra was the first one off the list because of that. The EHT SiB also caught my eye. I was going to go ahead and do it but that’s too damn high. There’s nothing else that really catches my fancy. Thanks for your input. I was able to pull back and see a clearer picture. Based on price and selection……

d653f871b3622871775b51f4580567c6.gif

If you like Jack Daniel’s, and I certainly do, I’d recommend getting at least a pour of Sinatra. It’s good juice. The higher proof, extra aging, and the wider barrel grooves work well. The price sucks. 

I think it’s a great gift for older dads and grandfathers. JD understands this as well as it comes in a nice box with a little booklet inside. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I’m going to use some of HookEm’s Old Fashioneds suggestion.

There’s a good restaurant in my neighborhood that refuses to use ice blocks in their cocktails. I’m thinking they could shake the old fashioned with ice, strain it, dress it, and then serve it without ice. I don’t have to drink some watery bullshit, and they don’t have to spend $400 on a cube ice maker. Everybody wins. 

14 minutes ago, Pablo said:

What're my chances of scoring Disco #11 anywhere around Houston?

Haven't even seen it in a bar/restaurant to taste this year so far.

Any tips would be appreciated.

I’d try Roma. Good history of getting the more desirable Discovery releases there. If you make it out there please let me know store picks they have. 

Spec’s is going to be a big waste of time unless you have a guy that will pull their inventory list for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d try Roma. Good history of getting the more desirable Discovery releases there. If you make it out there please let me know store picks they have. 

Spec’s is going to be a big waste of time unless you have a guy that will pull their inventory list for you. 

I don't bother with Spec's unless I happen to be downtown.  Been shopping only at Colony Liquors in Meyerland, Rice Fine Wines & Liqour or Total Wine off Shepherd or Holcombe.

I'm not familiar with Roma, but I'll check the googles.

17 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I don't bother with Spec's unless I happen to be downtown.  Been shopping only at Colony Liquors in Meyerland, Rice Fine Wines & Liqour or Total Wine off Shepherd or Holcombe.

I'm not familiar with Roma, but I'll check the googles.

Roma is up there. Antoine and 290. Great store. You might consider an Uber. The owner strongly encouraged me to sample every store pick.

I should go to Rice more, but it’s very boom or bust. That said, I can pick something up at HEB if I strike out and Jax is the 610!reincarnation of Sweet Mesquite. 

Never been in Colony. Bert is going to be pissed you’re giving away neighborhood secrets.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Roma is up there. Antoine and 290. Great store. You might consider an Uber. The owner strongly encouraged me to sample every store pick.

I should go to Rice more, but it’s very boom or bust. That said, I can pick something up at HEB if I strike out and Jax is the 610!reincarnation of Sweet Mesquite. 

Never been in Colony. Bert is going to be pissed you’re giving away neighborhood secrets.

I haven't really found anything around these places that exciting, so I'm sorry if I'm spoiling anything.  Appreciate the tip on Roma and the Uber!

19 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

*Eagle Rare $54.99
*Blanton $109.99
*1792 full Proof- 69.99

all those prices are way too high.  great bourbon, but almost double msrp.  eagle rare is the best value on that list, but the bookers would be tempting.  you see a lot more eagle rare out there than bookers.

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Total Wine in the Heights has it. Just had eyes on it. 

Could this have been restocked today?

I just secured one online from Spec's online and see it at a few stores.

a couple Bourbon Tubers said this might be their biggest release of disco.

I do love their Double Barreled Rye finished in toasted toasted cherry wood and oak barrels.