Bourbon

Jimbaround

The Knob Creek sweet spot remains elusive. Drinking some KC 12 100 proof, and it’s a slight improvement on Benchmark Bonded.

I gave KC 12 another shot because I really enjoyed a pour KC 9 100 proof Longhorn Steakhouse pick. I’d imagine it was significantly older than 9 years and from a honey barrel. 

I think the KC sweet spot is 13-15 years and 120 proof, but good luck finding it. 

How does the newer available Cigar Blend stack up for people that have had it going back?

I recently paid $214 at TW and the bottle is fantastic but I don't really know how it compares.  I had one taste 5 years ago and remember it being awesome but I cant compare the 2.

I like this better than Rebecca Creek 16 at about the same price point.

25 minutes ago, huge said:

How does the newer available Cigar Blend stack up for people that have had it going back?

I recently paid $214 at TW and the bottle is fantastic but I don't really know how it compares.  I had one taste 5 years ago and remember it being awesome but I cant compare the 2.

I wish I could help you out here. It’s been a couple years for me too. Specs had some in the case a couple weeks ago and I overlooked it. It didn’t job my memory until I sitting in the driveway. 

It’s still quite good, just not AS good as previous years. The 2020 was just otherworldly IMO.

22 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Couple of great pickups this past week.
My club did an incredible EHT SiB pick and this year’s MBSR is solid.
This still remains my favorite non BTAC annual release.

I had an MBSR last night.  So very good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/28/2024 at 3:47 PM, BigDHornfan said:

You know you have too much whiskey when you waste 3 hours on a Sunday dusting and rearranging bottles.

not pictured are the 2 barrels full of bottles.

IMG_5806.jpeg

IMG_5807.jpeg

IMG_5809.jpeg

yeah i have a pretty similar setup:

Spoiler

IMG_0533.thumb.jpeg.5b8143ce9e67da6f3eea977dc2ae2724.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Derka said:

IMG_0633.thumb.jpeg.18e3807aa7eff0cf18dad2e9d716edab.jpeg

i re-upped today. gonna be my first time trying buffalo trace. i’ve heard good things. bout to find out.

Look who’s back. BT’s rye is really good too, Sazerac. Look for store picks, they usually have a gold sticker. Usually better than your standard bottle and around the same price. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You can’t do shit anymore with a business per diem, but BT remains my go to at most steakhouses. They usually price BT pours under $12, and it pairs well with steak, pork and lamb chops. Maybe you walk into a nice pick. Most places can’t make a bourbon cocktail to save their lives, so it’s a safer and cheaper choice. 

I’m a big turkey fan. Rare breed (both bourbon and rye) is my go to. Russels is greatness. Never disappoints. I have a bottle of RR13 but haven’t opened it yet. Waiting for a special moment. Ive had trouble finding Kentucky Spirit until recently. Now I’m hitting on it fairly regular. Tonight I finished the bottom of one and am gonna open another. This is really good.
eda6b0068148fba905554f707d4085d9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m a big turkey fan. Rare breed (both bourbon and rye) is my go to. Russels is greatness. Never disappoints. I have a bottle of RR13 but haven’t opened it yet. Waiting for a special moment. Ive had trouble finding Kentucky Spirit until recently. Now I’m hitting on it fairly regular. Tonight I finished the bottom of one and am gonna open another. This is really good.
eda6b0068148fba905554f707d4085d9.jpg

Amen… turkey never disappoints

14 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Aren’t they just reacting to the MSRP?  In my experience TW is about as cheap as you can find a bottle. 

TW is definitely not the cheapest anymore.  they typically are about $5-10 more than specs on any given bottle based on my DFW area observations.
Last I saw, msrp was 60-65 on these.   but it's not worth anymore than $50 IMO.

4 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

TW is definitely not the cheapest anymore.  they typically are about $5-10 more than specs on any given bottle based on my DFW area observations.
Last I saw, msrp was 60-65 on these.   but it's not worth anymore than $50 IMO.

Interesting. I’m in SA and TW is always cheaper than Spec’s down here. Agree that it’s not worth retail anymore. 

On 8/12/2024 at 8:15 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Total has some balls selling McKenna for $75. Evan Williams SiB is $35 and very similar. 

lets agree to disagree.  their bib is about 4 yrs old.  i believe 10 yrs is the sweet spot for all bourbons, and would compare it to russells 10 (maybe not quite as good), or eagle rare 10 (definitely not as good).  those are all around the same price point.  the ewbib is about half that price so agree on the value at least.  now heaven hills old fitz, at 10 yrs, thats a steal at double the price of the mckenna.

28 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

lets agree to disagree.  their bib is about 4 yrs old.  i believe 10 yrs is the sweet spot for all bourbons, and would compare it to russells 10 (maybe not quite as good), or eagle rare 10 (definitely not as good).  those are all around the same price point.  the ewbib is about half that price so agree on the value at least.  now heaven hills old fitz, at 10 yrs, thats a steal at double the price of the mckenna.

Long winded way of saying you don’t like EW SiB. Got it. 

44 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

10 years is most definitely not the sweet spot for all bourbons. There is no such thing as an age sweet spot in application to any liquor. 

Ever try a 10 year Still Austin?

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Long winded way of saying you don’t like EW SiB. Got it. 

its a gluttony of riches out there for bourbon lovers.  you can walk out of a liquor store empty-handed that has 3000 bottles of bourbon on the shelf and say they had nothing.  old grand dad is another one.  its not that they arent good bourbons, or that i dont like them, just the luxury of being selective and looking for something better.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

10 years is most definitely not the sweet spot for all bourbons. There is no such thing as an age sweet spot in application to any liquor. 

Ever try a 10 year Still Austin?

never got the still love thats out there, but to each his own.