Bourbon

Jimbaround

I’d pass on the Frank August SiB. Hard to pin down the flavor profile. I think it’s basically 6-7 year old Bardstown Origin at barrel strength. Which is fine and dandy, but not worth $111. 

Curious, folks here were raving the other night, but my second visit was less appealing.

Would agree in the overpriced note, but still feel it’s solid.

Anyway, in more exciting news…
15162cd2162da1deb93eee3cccdf1f4a.jpg

Our 2nd JD BP Rye dropped today.
27407bce8965563740c20d0fc042f30c.jpg
Just simply marvelous at 133.5.

Did a blind between the 2 and the Ryed edged the 135.8 Jackyll by a slight edge.
Can’t find my notes from the pick trip, but I believe the Ryed was slightly older and had more rye spice that was more pronounced over the banana notes from Jackyll.
But both phenomenal.
0101d8c2322b99569409cd9526965aab.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It had been a long time since I’ve had a glass of this one.  Great rye spice on the bourbon sweetness, it reminds me of older, low proof MGP rye.  Which isn’t a bad thing when you’re warming up for a 10 pm kickoff.  

IMG_1930.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 7:37 AM, Buzzrock said:

Yeah I guess I at least owe the story if I’m gonna ask for help: I scheduled a follow up meeting with an executive after our first meeting was over Zoom. It was a good ways out in the future and I always had it in my head that it would be a Zoom call as well, like the first one. It came time for the meeting and I was in a hotel in Los Angeles (where I had gone to meet other customers) when I realized that the location said Dallas. Fuck. I get a text from his assistant, “I’m in the lobby are you here?” FUCK. She says I should email him and see if we can do a Zoom. He replies that he flew back home early from a trip just for our meeting. He will speak with me some other time. FUCK!

I’ve honestly never done anything like that before. I felt awful. I asked around to see if he likes wine, whiskey, whatever and am told he “likes it all.”

I’d go a couple hundred bucks but don’t want to make it too ridiculous or inappropriate.

Would love to hear the conclusion of this story. What did yo give him and how did it go over?

56 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

Would love to hear the conclusion of this story. What did yo give him and how did it go over?

An awesome Surlyite helped me acquire a nice little bottle. At first the exec didn’t want to take it, but I said “look this not from (my company), this is from me. I travel a lot myself, and knowing that I made you change travel plans for me and I wasn’t here really bothered me. You can give it away if you want but I want you to know that’s not how I do things.” He shook my hand and took the bottle and we had a great meeting. 

IMG_1714.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Fud said:

Haven’t visited this thread in about a year. I’ve starting finding allocated bottles sitting out without really looking. Is this the norm, or am I getting lucky?

That's awesome to hear because I've been out of the bourbon hunting game for awhile. The grind was just getting too overwhelming and I got tired of dealing with the Facebook trolls paying off store managers to get access to special releases. 

Is the yellow label Frey any good? My Albertsons out here has Buffalo Trace for $27 and I snagged a little book also for $116. 

It’s fine - They’ve actually kept their product consistent (unlike smoke wagon) and the owners have a real dedication to craft. It’s maybe one of three distilleries left in the US that sources all their grains on property.

I prefer their SiB offerings, but it’s pretty good IMO

Is that actually any good? Regular Balcones rye is one of the most vile things I’ve ever tasted. 

Their cask strength ryes have a big coffee/chocolate note that just hit me in my wheelhouse.
If you don’t like their reg ryes, I’d say you wouldn’t like this either.
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2024 at 12:05 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t want be laughed at in the wine thread, so I’ll put the recommendation here: Alexander Valley Cabernet is the best bottle of wine I’ve ever had for under $20. It’s on regular rotation at my house.

I don't even like to open that thread for fear I may be discovered.

8 hours ago, SamsCorner said:

I don't even like to open that thread for fear I may be discovered.

I won’t call them snobs. Just very knowledgeable, passionate, and willing to spend wine folks.

The tippy, tippy top of the Spec’s call list consists of bar/restaurant owners and wine guys for perspective. There’s wine people out there spending more money than some of Spec’s corporate accounts. 

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Sorry to ask as I'm sure it's been discussed, but can a Texan buy bourbon online? And if so, what are some reputable sites?

Thanks.

Blackwell’s will ship to Texas. His pricing is all over the map, but he’s reasonable on bottles that aren’t allocated. He offers free shipping if you spend enough. Otherwise, be prepared to get crushed on shipping. 

• Hook 'Em 1