Bourbon

Jimbaround

23 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

That price is outrageous

At The Aviary (one of the most expensive cocktail bars in the US), a flight of one ounce pours of the 10, 12, 15, 20, 23, and Rye is $160

Def worth it if you havent tried em

I didn’t order them obviously.   Just saw the FB post and saw they were there.  It is pretty pricey but the only place around Waco that has the lot 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Yea single barrel is $50.
IMO, spend the extra $5-10 and get the 1920 or the 1910.

I'd say 1920 is for proofers while 1910 is more for the IW Harper 15 crowd. Both very good releases. It gives me hope that Jackie Zykan actually knows what she's doing. 

Old Forester Rye while be the final test. 

Stuff I'm looking forward to: 

- Willett continuing to distill their own stuff. My Gawd, the single barrel at Hay Merchant was incredible for a 4 year old. 

- High West distilling their own stuff. It should be good, but we'll see. 

- I think I'll bite the bullet and get a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Reserve in 2019. They release during a pretty dry part of the year. 

- A wider release of the Balcones wheater. 

- Weller CYPB not being priced at $1k on the secondary market. 

- My Poor Man's Pappy batch. It's already two months old, but I'll probably wait until of the spring holidays to crack that bad boy open. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thestud said:

I love that we now have a derogatory nickname for people that like their whiskey stronger than their morning coffeeemoji849.png

I don't think it's derogatory. If you like wheat bourbons you're a wheater. If you like higher proof bourbon you're a proofer. 

I'd say I identify as a proofer. I like bourbon that is uncut. Sometimes high proof and smoothness intersect in some really good bottles. Stagg usually drinks like that. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

I'm liking MWND, but not the Christmas flavor bomb I was expecting. Still an outstanding $70 rye, pretty smooth. 
Because I can't afford LeNell's Red Hook Rye, Handy remains the GOAT rye in my opinion. It's unexplainable how do that in a 6 year old rye. 

Haven’t had Handy, but I had some M10 Rye the other night and that’s the best Rye I’ve had to date.
As good as MWND is, Angels Envy Finished Rye is better IMO.
And don’t sleep on Pikesville, hard to beat that one for the money.

Went into Total Wine off 75 tonight and just missed a bottle of Blanton’s. Was looking to replace the bottle that shattered in my bag yesterday (thanks Southwest) but came up empty.

Instead I walked away with this bad boy on a recommendation along with the new Double Rye from Sagamore which is supposed to be tasty.

2505b039ce1dc2c0efaed850d4104a9f.jpg

Also had the biggest WTF moment in a liquor store in memory. Lady walks up to the scotch case as I’m trying to convince the manager to go digging in the back for me and asks for some help.

Apparently she always gets something special for her husband this time of year and, after looking over the case and noting they have nearly everything on the shelf, she pulls down a $20k bottle and heads to the register. Jesus, lady... just blow the guy!

9 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Went into Total Wine off 75 tonight and just missed a bottle of Blanton’s. Was looking to replace the bottle that shattered in my bag yesterday (thanks Southwest) but came up empty.

Instead I walked away with this bad boy on a recommendation along with the new Double Rye from Sagamore which is supposed to be tasty.

2505b039ce1dc2c0efaed850d4104a9f.jpg

Also had the biggest WTF moment in a liquor store in memory. Lady walks up to the scotch case as I’m trying to convince the manager to go digging in the back for me and asks for some help.

Apparently she always gets something special for her husband this time of year and, after looking over the case and noting they have nearly everything on the shelf, she pulls down a $20k bottle and heads to the register. Jesus, lady... just blow the guy!

If you haven't been to Total Wine and heard "you just missed out on Blanton's", you haven't lived yet. 

• Like 1

I chase the name bottles like everyone else, but in reality, there are so many good bourbons you can find at any store that are amazing. I just find it funny how I’m always trying to get X bottle but I’m drinking EHT Single barrel which is fantastic. Grass is always greener, etc. 

On 12/18/2018 at 4:41 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Got into bourbon a little bit bit a couple of years back and immediately gravitated to Weller Antique and Special Reserve. I was able to find both easily at the time; so, I had no idea Antique would become hard to find. Fortunately, I still have a nearly full bottle. Started getting back into it recently and read through this entire thread. Picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 and a bottle of Larceny last night. Enjoyed both, but the ER is stood out. I can see it becoming my standard bourbon. Think I'll pick up an OF1920 this weekend. 

Good luck on the ER becoming your standard. That elixir is getting harder and harder to find.  I've turned a dozen people on to it over the past few years. I royally fucked up on that one.

I love EHT but I hardly ever find it when I go looking.

I’ve only ever seen 1 bottle in the last 2 years or so, and yesterday on my hunt I saw it in the vault once more. When I heard it was being sold for 2x MSRP, I knew why it was still there

I can find WSR, OWA, and others so much easier than that bottle.

Good luck on the ER becoming your standard. That elixir is getting harder and harder to find.  I've turned a dozen people on to it over the past few years. I royally fucked up on that one.

Hell even Buffalo Trace is hard to find sometimes.
Best thing anyone can do when you find the bourbon that you love and want it to be your daily drinker is to buy it every time you see it whether you need a bottle or not. Because chances are you will run out one day and won’t be able to find it for awhile.
Now if the millennials would just turn their attention to another spirit and leave bourbon alone, it would sort itself out and there’d be plenty of brown water for all of us.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Best thing anyone can do when you find the bourbon that you love and want it to be your daily drinker is to buy it every time you see it whether you need a bottle or not. Because chances are you will run out one day and won’t be able to find it for awhile.
Now if the millennials would just turn their attention to another spirit and leave bourbon alone, it would sort itself out and there’d be plenty of brown water for all of us.

I like Buffalo Trace, but I never considered it great hootch. I haven't seen it on the shelves in a couple years now around here though.

Stuff I'm looking forward to: 
- Willett continuing to distill their own stuff. My Gawd, the single barrel at Hay Merchant was incredible for a 4 year old. 
- High West distilling their own stuff. It should be good, but we'll see. 
- I think I'll bite the bullet and get a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Reserve in 2019. They release during a pretty dry part of the year. 
- A wider release of the Balcones wheater. 
- Weller CYPB not being priced at $1k on the secondary market. 
- My Poor Man's Pappy batch. It's already two months old, but I'll probably wait until of the spring holidays to crack that bad boy open. 

I found the CYPB to be totally underwhelming. Not as good as 12 or OWA. I wouldn’t obsess over it.

3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

I don't completely buy the "cocktail craze" as the lead cause for the bourbon scarcity. I think a lot of idiots think they can buy a bottle and flip it on the secondary market. People like money a lot more than they like bourbon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thestud said:

Where are you guys located that you’re having such hell finding ER10 and EHT SiB?? Probably 3 out of of every 5 stores in the metroplex I go into has a good stock of both.

Probably a Houston thing.

I've never seen ER10 on the shelf at Total. Never. Not once.

It's rarely on the shelf at Spec's. Maybe a couple times in the fall, and once in the spring. Spec's usually sells out of EHT Single Barrel and Rye within 48 hours. 

I don't go to Goody Goody enough to have an opinion on them. 

1 hour ago, mbpcb said:

At a buddy’s house for holiday drinking and just polished off this bad boy. I felt bad doing it too, but he insisted... didn’t know they did Selects

cc7b700a650899be21772ef543ade420.jpg

Just had a pour at Johnny's Gold Brick. Best $12 I'll ever spend. 

If you leave a bottle out at a party, you should expect it to polished off. Them's the rules. 

Got some good Spanish vermouth from my cousin. Is it a waste to make a Manhattan with MWND?

Yes. It also wouldn’t make a good Manhattan because the port aroma with clash with the vermouth. However- High West Rendezvous Rye makes a tremendous Manhattan.

Also- the Vermouth? Is it Peruchi? Because that shit is delicious. Even worth drinking straight.

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't completely buy the "cocktail craze" as the lead cause for the bourbon scarcity. I think a lot of idiots think they can buy a bottle and flip it on the secondary market. People like money a lot more than they like bourbon. 

If I win the lottery for the Pappy here, that's exactly what I'll do.  Not a fan and don't want to deprive those that are Fans ... and if I can make a little coin on the side.. well.........

Yes. It also wouldn’t make a good Manhattan because the port aroma with clash with the vermouth. However- High West Rendezvous Rye makes a tremendous Manhattan.

Also- the Vermouth? Is it Peruchi? Because that shit is delicious. Even worth drinking straight.

Thanks I figured the flavors might not mesh. MWND is so tasty by itself I’ll just stick with my Bulleit Rye.

Here’s the vermouth. And yes very tasty almost like a port.

5b97cb98f65c1896d723a3cd25fae95e.jpg
  • Like 1

The good bud I have just scored a case of Blantons as they were delivering 2 cases to the ABC store...  

That means I just got two bottles.......it's a Festivus miracle  !  His sled is inbound now !

Now its blantons, Eagle Rare, Bulleit orange label, Crown Royal Blenders Mash, Wild Turkey Rare Breed (116 proof), Jim Beam for the bourbon and gingers,

Miss Nugents recipe ( Bourbon based, chopped fruit infused punch), Tennessee moonshine,   Romeo Y Jullietta robustos, Sterling vineyards cabernets, and imperial stouts (slipping a few in the sons stocking).  I Think we have some food too.

Christmas is looking up......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Don makes an Old Fashioned with Old Overholt in one of my favorite episodes of Mad Men. It's pretty solid for cocktails. 

Second this. The 'holt has been my go-to rye for OFs, Sazeracs, and Manhattans for awhile. Rittenhouse is good too if you want something that is also pretty nice neat.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Had to run by the LS to get some stuff for the wife. Went ahead an picked up a bottle of OF 1920 and a 1.75 of ER since I was there. Should be enough to get me in the spirt.

I assume based on your avatar that you're in Houston. What store is selling handles of ER10?