Bourbon

Jimbaround

I’ve had 5 yr MGP that kicks the asses of bourbon twice as old. Beam will never distill Bookers past 8-8.5 years old. 12-15 yr wild turkey can be sublime. 

I’ve had 23 yr Willett that I want to bathe in and 21 year HH that was overoaked wood toast  and vice versa  

There simply isn’t a sweet spot. 

On 8/12/2024 at 6:15 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Total has some balls selling McKenna for $75. Evan Williams SiB is $35 and very similar. 

Yeah, McKenna B-I-B always seemed like a proofed up EW SiB to me -- same mashbill and whatnot.  And I liked it when it was around the same price as the EW because at 86.6 proof, the EW can sometimes almost be a little too smooth, so the additional kick of the McKenna was welcome. 

But McKenna isn't *that* much better than EW in my book.  The price of McKenna at my main place has now slipped down to $60, which is certainly better than where it was at not too long ago ($100), but I still can't bring myself to shell out even $60 for it when there are so many terrific options in that range.  If/when it drops below $50, then I'll probably pull the trigger and revisit it for the first time since the price skyrocketed after it won the SF competition back in '19.   

Related note:  Color me happy that Heaven Hill wised up and decided to sell the EW SiB outside of Kentucky again.  It's still a bargain, IMO.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

I’ve had 5 yr MGP that kicks the asses of bourbon twice as old. Beam will never distill Bookers past 8-8.5 years old. 12-15 yr wild turkey can be sublime. 

I’ve had 23 yr Willett that I want to bathe in and 21 year HH that was overoaked wood toast  and vice versa  

There simply isn’t a sweet spot. 

you're right. there probably isnt a sweet spot, but 10 yrs seems to be about right in my experience. i agree on bookers - its loaded with flavors and richness and complexity, and is darker in color at 6 yrs than mckenna is at 10. the noe's say 6-8 is the sweet spot, harlan wheatley says 8-12.

16 hours ago, elguapo said:

I've noticed that I like mgp bourbons but I haven't tried that many of them. What would y'all recommend for readily available mgp bourbons?

Remus is their own brand and is on almost all shelves. Nulu SiB is great stuff and at TW and other retailers. Then there’s tons of MGP blended/finished options. 

expect to pay around $10/year of age for MGP. 

Edited by Bert Orange
  • Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Remus is their own brand and is on almost all shelves. Nulu SiB is great stuff and at TW and other retailers. Then there’s tons of MGP blended/finished options. 

expect to pay around $10/year of age for MGP. 

Bert, the Nulu stuff is everywhere. Could you recommend your personal favorite? 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m not a huge finished guy. And most of their stuff is. But the single barrel MGP picks have been consistently good. Have an 8 (TW) and 6 (specs) year open and both are fantastic. The 8 has some coconut notes on the finish. 

There are so many out there I can’t recommend one specifically. Just have to try them on and decide. 

And that they are single barrel, obviously will vary greatly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have probably 8-10 bottles of Nulu, and almost all of my favorites are club picks from secondary.

Princess Peach (Peach Brandy Finished SiB from Chattanooga Firefighters) that we finished a few weeks back is probably in my All Time Top 10. That said, most are in the Good range including the shelfers, but of the easily available I’d say the Double Barrel Rye is my favorite.

5 hours ago, Derka said:

IMG_1393.thumb.jpeg.f8340a3e932e6149b17de1642b269ab9.jpeg

im still new to this, so suffice it to say that 116.8 is going to be an interesting adventure. wish me luck. 🫡 

I'll be the guy who makes the obligatory "Rare Breed is quite good for the price and always worth keeping on the shelf at your house" post, because dammit, it's true 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bureaucrat said:

I'll be the guy who makes the obligatory "Rare Breed is quite good for the price and always worth keeping on the shelf at your house" post, because dammit, it's true 

WT is always on my shelf. Even a handle of 101 is a nice sipper. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have probably 8-10 bottles of Nulu, and almost all of my favorites are club picks from secondary.

Princess Peach (Peach Brandy Finished SiB from Chattanooga Firefighters) that we finished a few weeks back is probably in my All Time Top 10. That said, most are in the Good range including the shelfers, but of the easily available I’d say the Double Barrel Rye is my favorite.

$87 at TW today. Don’t see an age statement. Lots of sediment floating around.

Really sweet and oaky. This is good shit.
5209ae0882956074478b58d2e8572a61.jpg
  • Like 1