Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 8/20/2024 at 10:25 PM, NOMAAA said:

You know what’s awesome about Arizona? A lot. 

Including $21 Buffalo Trace readily available at every grocery store. 

Everywhere is better than Texas.  Costco in Alaska was sitting on tons of cheap McKenna in August.  

IMG_1417.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that doesn't suck, since no review was given.

It’s terrific and $10 cheaper than Total Wine. Despite the label, I bought it Ly’s in Houston. Just an excellent high rye bourbon, but not memorable. 

My palette isn’t very evolved. It’s either bad, I can’t drink this  or good. A great bottle in my book has floral, fruit, or cola/Dr Pepper/cherry Coke notes. Love those fruit bomb Birthday Bourbons that Zykan picked. Roma’s Sazeeac pick has great floral notes. The JD Twice Barreled Single Malt is a cola note banger. 

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s terrific and $10 cheaper than Total Wine. Despite the label, I bought it Ly’s in Houston. Just an excellent high rye bourbon, but not memorable. 

My palette isn’t very evolved. It’s either bad, I can’t drink this  or good. A great bottle in my book has floral, fruit, or cola/Dr Pepper/cherry Coke notes. Love those fruit bomb Birthday Bourbons that Zykan picked. Roma’s Sazeeac pick has great floral notes. The JD Twice Barreled Single Malt is a cola note banger. 

I think your palette is pretty good. You use descriptive language and it's helpful. 

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think your palette is pretty good. You use descriptive language and it's helpful. 

Thanks. I think you have to be a chemist to tell the difference between the different Four Roses recipes. I usually ask the guy at the store which pick he likes better and buy that one. 

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think you have to be a chemist to tell the difference between the different Four Roses recipes.

Thats funny they taste very distinct to me. My issue is that as proofs exceed about 105-110 it becomes difficult for me to taste what I'm drinking. Cask strength bourbon is pretty much lost of me unless I cut it with water or melting ice. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

My club dropped the first of 2 JB Rye SiB’s that we picked on a trip in December.
It’s better now than when we picked it.
Caramel Bananas all day.
Doesn’t drink its 135.8 at all.
7db842c54529fe3c9281f12c7779d75e.jpg

The other one damn well better be Mr. Ryed

• Like 2

I'll tell you what isn't... Riding dirt bikes in the desert for two hours at 111 degrees.

This comment intrigues me as I will be in Flagstaff in late September.  I googled up the local liquor stores and sure enough there’s a pic of a stack of ER.  Will for sure give it a try while there. 

dollar days at twins is a must for a po pimp such as myself.

IMG_2043.thumb.jpeg.12a67a77b94e6a4a019acacb5bfa0124.jpeg

the four bottles of bourbon came out to like $160. that weller special reserve alone is like $120 online around here, $80 in stores. twins dollar says is a good sale. 

also, question: any thoughts on basil hayden or basil hayden toast? i’ve never had either but was considering a purchase or two during the sale.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

the four bottles of bourbon came out to like $160. that weller special reserve alone is like $120 online around here, $80 in stores. twins dollar says is a good sale. 
also, question: any thoughts on basil hayden or basil hayden toast? i’ve never had either but was considering a purchase or two during the sale.

I’m out on anything Basil Hayden because of it being 80 proof.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Derka said:

Hard pass on BH for the same reason BigD stated.  It's weak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

$80 for that handle of Weller?  Seems like it was half that in W Texas a year or so ago. 

i talked to several managers at liquor stores around town and apparently it has to do with some sort of distribution change from a couple of years ago. it’s a lot harder to find around here than it used to be and therefore the price has gone up. before today i’ve only seen it stocked at one specific, neighborhood liquor store in the pflugerville area. today was the first day my local twins has had any in stock in 2+ years. 

i talked to several managers at liquor stores around town and apparently it has to do with some sort of distribution change from a couple of years ago. it’s a lot harder to find around here than it used to be and therefore the price has gone up. before today i’ve only seen it stocked at one specific, neighborhood liquor store in the pflugerville area. today was the first day my local twins has had any in stock in 2+ years. 

Pfluger area? It’s all over the place

I did something dumb, and now I need to pick up a nice bottle for an executive customer. I have a meeting with him downtown Thursday morning in Dallas and I land at DFW Wednesday morning. Any suggestions where I might find a good selection?

15 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Well, there’s a couple or three of us here in DFW. What are you looking for? What are you looking to spend? How bad did you fuck up?

Yeah I guess I at least owe the story if I’m gonna ask for help: I scheduled a follow up meeting with an executive after our first meeting was over Zoom. It was a good ways out in the future and I always had it in my head that it would be a Zoom call as well, like the first one. It came time for the meeting and I was in a hotel in Los Angeles (where I had gone to meet other customers) when I realized that the location said Dallas. Fuck. I get a text from his assistant, “I’m in the lobby are you here?” FUCK. She says I should email him and see if we can do a Zoom. He replies that he flew back home early from a trip just for our meeting. He will speak with me some other time. FUCK!

I’ve honestly never done anything like that before. I felt awful. I asked around to see if he likes wine, whiskey, whatever and am told he “likes it all.”

I’d go a couple hundred bucks but don’t want to make it too ridiculous or inappropriate.

Yeah I guess I at least owe the story if I’m gonna ask for help: I scheduled a follow up meeting with an executive after our first meeting was over Zoom. It was a good ways out in the future and I always had it in my head that it would be a Zoom call as well, like the first one. It came time for the meeting and I was in a hotel in Los Angeles (where I had gone to meet other customers) when I realized that the location said Dallas. Fuck. I get a text from his assistant, “I’m in the lobby are you here?” FUCK. She says I should email him and see if we can do a Zoom. He replies that he flew back home early from a trip just for our meeting. He will speak with me some other time. FUCK!
I’ve honestly never done anything like that before. I felt awful. I asked around to see if he likes wine, whiskey, whatever and am told he “likes it all.”
I’d go a couple hundred bucks but don’t want to make it too ridiculous or inappropriate.

PM sent.

On 8/31/2024 at 12:22 PM, BigDHornfan said:

3f60cbf5e08e0e1d315d6b5442dfbb0c.jpg
All 10 recipes blend going in the bottle today.
Gonna let it sit for a month or so.

Once you decide to open that, I would be curious how it compared in a blind tasting to yellow label 4R.  It is a blend of all ten recipes done by the master distiller of (I would assume) less ideal barrels.  If yours is equal portions of all ten from excellent barrels, the contract may be interesting.

• Like 2