Texas -- a failed state

Brisketexan

So getting back to the school board stuff, our Christian Nationalist CFISD board leader has been pushing for cuts to school counselors. The cuts are necessary because all Public School budgets have been frozen at 2019 spending levels because Abbott has said he won't allow any increases until School Vouchers are approved. This has been seen as an opportunity for these nutjobs to add School Chaplains in their place, who will of course, push their Christianity on kids as part of their "counseling." It's a backdoor way of injecting religion into schools without having to get it explicitly approved like you would with textbooks or programs.

The lady spearheading this in CFISD sent this email to her supporters back when she started running for office here. Her intent is very clear. She lost a few times before winning a couple years ago, and is up for reelection in 2025. There will be a huge push to get her replaced next year, but it will be an uphill battle given the make-up of our district. 

Even if you don't have kids in school, please please please look at your local board elections and go vote. It's so important when the voter turnout for these things is often in the 10-20% range. Our last election has 4 seats up and they were all decided by 3000 or less votes out of about ~50k.  It was 3-1 crazy people elected 😔

FB_IMG_1718471992840.jpg

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

Posted (edited)

Once MAGA-GQP seize full control of Texas and America, it will be like Nazi Germany in terms of public images/symbols. Except instead of swastikas and Nazi flags everywhere, it will be MAGA-Christian crosses/symbols and flags everywhere.

Not doubt, Texas will lead the way.

— Small local businesses with have crosses/symbols on their doors and windows. (I am sure some already do.)

— Dallas/Houston skyscrapers will have crosses on the side or top. Some will fly a MAGA-Christian flag next to Texas or US flag. NASA will be forced to display a cross.

— The Oil Derrick at Six Flags in Arlington will have a cross/flag. So will Jerry World and Globe park.

— Some firms will display a cross (or symbol) next to their logo. Better yet, just incorporate cross into their logo.

— Companies that frowned upon Pride flags will fly the MAGA-Christian flags, no questions asked.

Total true believers, even in the corporate world, will proudly wear lapel pins with MAGA-Christian symbols.

The newly created “Trump Youth” (a la Hitler Youth) programs will have kids sporting MAGA-Christian stuff.

The capitol building in Austin will have Christian/MAGA flags.

— Already, the capital grounds already have the Ten Commandments on display and the Supreme upheld that in 2005. 

Just wait, it’s coming. And Texas will lead the way.

Edited by BevoAbyss

42 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

Once MAGA-GQP seize full control of Texas and America, it will be like Nazi Germany in terms of public images/symbols. Except instead of swastikas and Nazi flags everywhere, it will be MAGA-Christian crosses/symbols and flags everywhere.

Not doubt, Texas will lead the way.

— Small local businesses with have crosses/symbols on their doors and windows. (I am sure some already do.)

— Dallas/Houston skyscrapers will have crosses on the side or top. Some will fly a MAGA-Christian flag next to Texas or US flag. NASA will be forced to display a cross.

— The Oil Derrick at Six Flags in Arlington will have a cross/flag. So will Jerry World and Globe park.

— Some firms will display a cross (or symbol) next to their logo. Better yet, just incorporate cross into their logo.

— Companies that frowned upon Pride flags will fly the MAGA-Christian flags, no questions asked.

Total true believers, even in the corporate world, will proudly wear lapel pins with MAGA-Christian symbols.

The newly created “Trump Youth” (a la Hitler Youth) programs will have kids sporting MAGA-Christian stuff.

The capitol building in Austin will have Christian/MAGA flags.

— Already, the capital grounds already have the Ten Commandments on display and the Supreme upheld that in 2005. 

Just wait, it’s coming. And Texas will lead the way.

I normally agree with your takes on the path we are going down, but I don't think we will ever get HERE because money talks and the vast majority of businesses would bail the fuck out of Texas if it started going this far.  The brain drain would be massive.  That said, I'm sure they will try some version of this, just not as blatant.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I normally agree with your takes on the path we are going down, but I don't think we will ever get HERE because money talks and the vast majority of businesses would bail the fuck out of Texas if it started going this far. 

Thanks for the agreement. I wish you were correct here. But, alas, the corporations and capitalists are already sucking up to Trump, according to the Wall Street Journal. And it is not just Elon fanboys.

— Sadly, it’s obvious Corporate America doesn’t give a shit about immigration … women’s reproductive rights … BLM … LGBTQIA … the environment … science … or anything else … if there is a chance at a 10% tax break or increase in profits.

— They will align with fascism and theocracy as needed. They will fucking celebrate a dictatorship to make more profit, not unlike the industrialists and corporations in Nazi Germany. Silicon Valley tech bros will gladly create surveillance tech to track immigrants and women seeking abortions if it means more profit.

— Hell, Corporate America gladly build the trains to haul immigrants to the border and build the catapults to launch them over the Rio Grande.

I would suggest the SEC celebration at UT is indicative of where things will go with the MAGA-GQP takeover of Texas and America

— Complete and total celebration. Aggy level shit.

— Even lighting up the Tower to celebrate joining the Confederate Conference. Going backwards in the 21st Century, presented as progress! Speaking for myself, fuck Eltife, Hartzell and CDC for this crap.

This is how fascism seizes power and total control.

WSJ 6.jpg

UT SEC 6.jpg

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

obvious Corporate America doesn’t give a shit about immigration

There are billion dollar industries that will quickly collapse if illegal (and legal) immigrants were booted out, especially here in Texas.  Abbott can play with walls all he wants, but if he made a serious push against illegal immigrants already in the state, he’d find himself primaried or outspent by his Dem opponents going forward, because he would be wiping out the agricultural, service, and construction industries, and probably oil and gas to a lesser extent. And crippling those industries means crippling the economy in Texas as a whole, because when those industries start struggling, the ripple effect will hammer the rest of the state.

There’s around 2 million immigrants in Texas, five or take a few hundred thousand, and there are not going to be native Texans lining up to take on roofing jobs, or picking vegetables or washing dishes at restaurants or putting up buildings when it’s 105 outside.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Maybe the artist was wrong and this was her sidearm, in which case a clip makes sense.

main-qimg-aad8a8fbfd3b1db71d1d08d330c6f0

I think it's a Steyr M1912.   

image.thumb.png.8c43b5d9c656f9643f469b15c0058f0f.png

Great-grandpappy took it off a dead Kraut at Belleau Wood in 1918 and it's been in the family ever since.   The family's biggest regret will be that it will end up in some evidence locker for years and years as the trial of that mentally unsound libtard drags on.   But little Sally will have gone to heaven to meet Jesus and that's all that matters. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

There are billion dollar industries that will quickly collapse if illegal (and legal) immigrants were booted out, especially here in Texas.  Abbott can play with walls all he wants, but if he made a serious push against illegal immigrants already in the state, he’d find himself primaried or outspent by his Dem opponents going forward, because he would be wiping out the agricultural, service, and construction industries, and probably oil and gas to a lesser extent. And crippling those industries means crippling the economy in Texas as a whole, because when those industries start struggling, the ripple effect will hammer the rest of the state.

There’s around 2 million immigrants in Texas, five or take a few hundred thousand, and there are not going to be native Texans lining up to take on roofing jobs, or picking vegetables or washing dishes at restaurants or putting up buildings when it’s 105 outside.

Me, a Republican: Food and housing costs too much.

Also me, a Republican: We need to deport half of their workforces.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You're likely very correct. Could be very bad for some industries/corporations.

And Trump-MAGA-Fox News will somehow blame it on Biden/Democratic/liberal policies … and on woke wimps stacking fruit at Whole Foods and slacker soyboys steaming the lattes at Starbucks and loser leftists majoring in art on college campuses … when if they were True Texas Men … they would be macho hard-working roofers, bricklayers, concrete pourers, veggie pickers, etc. They will absolutely blame it on Libruls making men soft. Might even suggest forced work camps to train True Texas Men for real jobs requiring true work.

As for all the other corporations not affected, they won’t give a shit … as long as they get the 10% tax breaks, increased profits, corporate bonuses, etc. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2024 at 8:17 AM, Biff Tannen said:

I normally agree with your takes on the path we are going down, but I don't think we will ever get HERE because money talks and the vast majority of businesses would bail the fuck out of Texas if it started going this far.  The brain drain would be massive.  That said, I'm sure they will try some version of this, just not as blatant.

Businesses ain't going no where as long as the citizenry keeps subsidizing their tax breaks.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/18/2024 at 8:17 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Those of you who still think "it can't happen here" really need to start grappling with the fact that it has happened in plenty of other places that all had the same or at least very similar reasons why many people thought it couldn't happen there, until it did. 

Businesses will absolutely go along with violent and disruptive reactionary political changes, even changes that hurt their bottom line. That's because they tend to be run by people who are ideologically aligned with the reactionary politicians pushing those changes, and those few that aren't are scared of publicly opposing the fascist tide. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

As for all the other corporations not affected, they won’t give a shit … as long as they get the 10% tax breaks, increased profits, corporate bonuses, etc. 

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Businesses ain't going no where as long as the citizenry keeps subsidizing their tax breaks.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Businesses will absolutely go along with violent and disruptive reactionary political changes, even changes that hurt their bottom line. That's because they tend to be run by people who are ideologically aligned with the reactionary politicians pushing those changes, and those few that aren't are scared of publicly opposing the fascist tide. 

If you cripple the construction, agricultural, and service industries in Texas, and oil and gas to a lesser extent, other businesses will absolutely give a shit, because their costs will go through the roof, and with the economy wrecked a whole shitload of people and companies will have to move out of Texas, not to mention that Texas will be undesirable even for those who might have weathered such an economic shitstorm.

But hey, real estate prices will probably drop drastically so you can buy cheap land and houses/building, and ERCOT will have fewer customers putting a strain on the grid.  Of course that also means a lot of people and companies will have lost a lot of wealth.

Texas relies and thrives on cheap labor.  I don’t care where you live or what industry you are in, at some point you rely on cheap labor, even if you don’t see it or think about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If their costs go through the roof, those cost increases will be subsidized. Guess who will be doing the subsidizing?

It won’t be all of the people who have to leave Texas or companies that go under.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It won’t be all of the people who have to leave Texas or companies that go under.

That's the thing, companies won't be going under.  People won't have to leave.  That's the whole point of the common peasants subsidizing the losses.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That's the thing, companies won't be going under.  People won't have to leave.  That's the whole point of the common peasants subsidizing the losses.

You really think that companies won’t go under if some of the largest industries and employers in Texas lose a massive (and the cheapest) chunk of their workforce?  You think a lot of people will go out to eat when the costs double or triple?  Or will buy new houses when the costs ramp way up?  Or that companies will build a new office or facility when the costs start rising rapidly, whether it’s the guys pouring the cement or framing the thing or hauling the materials?

People already bitch when their grocery bill or the gas bill  goes up 10%.  You kill off that cheap labor and the poor and middle class will find themselves priced out of a lot of things.  And there are a helluva lot of small businesses in Texas that for whom a double digit rise in costs maybe the difference between profitability and going under.

Like I said, Abbott will play games with the MAGA morons and convince them that he’s doing something with the wall, but he’s not going to round up the nearly 2 million illegal immigrants in Texas, nor will he push anything that could identify them and the companies and people that employ them.  He can pander with the best of them, but he knows Texas lives and dies by its cheap labor and resources.  And he knows that those affected companies will dump money into whoever gets their cheap labor back if he fucks around and goes after illegals.

You really think that companies won’t go under if some of the largest industries and employers in Texas lose a massive (and the cheapest) chunk of their workforce?  You think a lot of people will go out to eat when the costs double or triple?  Or will buy new houses when the costs ramp way up?  Or that companies will build a new office or facility when the costs start rising rapidly, whether it’s the guys pouring the cement or framing the thing or hauling the materials?

People already bitch when their grocery bill or the gas bill  goes up 10%.  You kill off that cheap labor and the poor and middle class will find themselves priced out of a lot of things.  And there are a helluva lot of small businesses in Texas that for whom a double digit rise in costs maybe the difference between profitability and going under.

Like I said, Abbott will play games with the MAGA morons and convince them that he’s doing something with the wall, but he’s not going to round up the nearly 2 million illegal immigrants in Texas, nor will he push anything that could identify them and the companies and people that employ them.  He can pander with the best of them, but he knows Texas lives and dies by its cheap labor and resources.  And he knows that those affected companies will dump money into whoever gets their cheap labor back if he fucks around and goes after illegals.

Counter: the cynical manipulators have lost control of the monster they created.

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

One more time for the peanut gallery…

THEIR FUCKING (net)COSTS WON’T GO UP

Labor costs go up from $8/hr to $12/hr. Lo and behold the state lege passes a Save Patriotic Texas Businesses for God kickback errr subsidy to make up the difference. You and I get to pay for it with another property tax increase. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 5:34 PM, atomheartbevo said:

People already bitch when their grocery bill or the gas bill  goes up 10%.  

They will blame the libs when a head of iceberg lettuce is $9.

/I'm just joking. MAGA don't eat liberal foods like vegetables.

25 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

They will blame the libs when a head of iceberg lettuce is $9.

/I'm just joking. MAGA don't eat liberal foods like vegetables.

"The economy" is one of the biggest pieces of successful propaganda we've seen the Right pull on people in the past 50 years.  I was reading an article today saying that 60+% of R voters think the economy is "bad" or "terrible", yet if we switched to an R president tomorrow, their sentiment would immediately flip.  None of it is based on reality.  Just "feelings" that they've been taught to feel their entire lives by an entrenched media propaganda apparatus.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Clinton was president when I graduated so I've been in the "real world" during the Clinton, GWB, Obama, Dotard, and Biden administrations.  There is absolutely no comparison to which times were better for me economically.  Granted, the economy under Obama wasn't exactly gangbusters but it didn't suck dick like the GFC under dubya or the bullshit under dotard.

10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Granted, the economy under Obama wasn't exactly gangbusters but it didn't suck dick like the GFC under dubya or the bullshit under dotard.

Well, yeah.  He inherited a huge fucking mess from GWB.  Similar to Biden.  Remember, Trump wanted interest rates to go negative for a while.  I think you can debate whether Trump is responsible for COVID's impact on the economy, but he is absolutely responsible for not raising interest rates late in his presidency.

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

"The economy" is one of the biggest pieces of successful propaganda we've seen the Right pull on people in the past 50 years.  I was reading an article today saying that 60+% of R voters think the economy is "bad" or "terrible", yet if we switched to an R president tomorrow, their sentiment would immediately flip.  None of it is based on reality.  Just "feelings" that they've been taught to feel their entire lives by an entrenched media propaganda apparatus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._economic_performance_by_presidential_party

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/19/2024 at 5:05 PM, David Dennison said:

The rich are rich because they know how to exploit the poors.

By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there’s ever gonna be any progress…

On 6/19/2024 at 6:12 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

One more time for the peanut gallery…

THEIR FUCKING (net)COSTS WON’T GO UP

Labor costs go up from $8/hr to $12/hr. Lo and behold the state lege passes a Save Patriotic Texas Businesses for God kickback errr subsidy to make up the difference. You and I get to pay for it with another property tax increase. 

You do realize the only property tax that goes into state coffers is some school taxes via Robin Hood right? 

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You do realize things are subject to change, right?

Even if they rewrite the tax code, if Abbott booted out a million or more illegal immigrants, there will also be a shitload more legal residents who have to leave as businesses fail, etc.  which means that the housing markets drop as there is a glut of housing, property tax revenue drops, sales tax revenue drops, etc.

So who pays that Super Duper Patriot Tax to subsidize everything when we lose our cheap labor?  You think MAGA  will be happy when Abbott tells them to shut the fuck up and pay a new tax to cover the industries that get wrecked because he is reshaping Texas?

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

You think MAGA  will be happy when Abbott tells them to shut the fuck up and pay a new tax to cover the industries that get wrecked because he is reshaping Texas?

They have repeatedly voted for and cheered for shit that buttfucks themselves.

Gavin.jpg?fit=1200,600&quality=100&strip

So, yeah, they'll pay a tax, ram a dildo up their own ass, whatever, gleefully...because the cult leaders say it is a sacrament, and cultists will perform ALL the sacraments with a smile.

Stop treating these people like rational actors.  They are not.  They have demonstrated repeatedly, without exception, that they are cultists, and that controls their every action.

• Haha 1