Texas -- a failed state

Brisketexan

14 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/14-reasons-people-are-leaving-texas/ss-BB1oJcRj?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=211bec2ba61a434cb9beea70330045e9&ei=53#image=1

Texans are leaving the state due to:

1. Scorching Summers and Extreme Heat

2. Property Taxes

3. Political Climate

4. Lack of Gun Control

5. Abortion Restrictions

6. Lack of Diversity

7. Education System

8. Natural Disasters

9. Property Insurance Woes

10. Traffic Congestion

11. Job Market Saturation

12. Water Scarcity and Drought Concerns

13. Environmental Concerns and Pollution

14. Social Issues and Inequality

(I'd probably shoe in Healthcare somewhere too)

Race to be a third world country is in full gallop now.

Boomers are leaving America to retire abroad in droves because the U.S. is just too expensive

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/boomers-are-leaving-america-to-retire-abroad-in-droves-because-the-u-s-is-just-too-expensive/ar-BB1py92d?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=27f387a2d670442f806721884474856b&ei=27

My son said that sounded right.  Boomers kept voting for the assholes who fucked up this country, then just leave it because it's too fucked up.  Fortunately for them they have enough wealth to make such a move.  

Two people come for every one that leaves 

On 6/25/2024 at 7:34 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

IMG_0081.jpeg

I realize that GOP politicians have to suck up to Trump to receive any power, but how pathetic is it that our "leaders" can only look to one person to do something. A congressman should feel they can improve the lives of their constituents and all Americans regardless of who is in the WH.

This guy banged his assistant coaches wives
Imagine looking at that dude and thinking, "Yeah, I'll cheat on my husband with him."

That is unless there was some sort of coercion involved... completely possible.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, tchookem said:
18 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/14-reasons-people-are-leaving-texas/ss-BB1oJcRj?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=211bec2ba61a434cb9beea70330045e9&ei=53#image=1

Texans are leaving the state due to:
1. Scorching Summers and Extreme Heat
2. Property Taxes
3. Political Climate
4. Lack of Gun Control
5. Abortion Restrictions
6. Lack of Diversity
7. Education System
8. Natural Disasters
9. Property Insurance Woes
10. Traffic Congestion
11. Job Market Saturation
12. Water Scarcity and Drought Concerns
13. Environmental Concerns and Pollution
14. Social Issues and Inequality
(I'd probably shoe in Healthcare somewhere too)
Race to be a third world country is in full gallop now.

Boomers are leaving America to retire abroad in droves because the U.S. is just too expensive

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/boomers-are-leaving-america-to-retire-abroad-in-droves-because-the-u-s-is-just-too-expensive/ar-BB1py92d?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=27f387a2d670442f806721884474856b&ei=27
My son said that sounded right.  Boomers kept voting for the assholes who fucked up this country, then just leave it because it's too fucked up.  Fortunately for them they have enough wealth to make such a move.  

And they're probably still making in their votes.

As a recent Texpat I'd say the top 10, more or less, were factors for us; though some overlap and 6 is alarmingly stupid, just flat out wrong. 1 and 3 were the main drivers - 1 is guaranteed to get worse and I've lost faith in 3 doing anything but continuing to deteriorate.

Texas is still a half decent value prop if you want to work a corporate job, buy that huge house in the burbs, crank out a few kids, are truly apathetic toward politics, and the climate and sprawl don't wear you out. It wasn't always like this - between SCOTUS keeping the worst of the religious right in check and less general insanity in the GOP platform the politics could be stomached for a while. The state has just descended further and further into madness over the past 15 years(hmm, what triggered that?). It breaks my heart as someone who lived all of my 32 years there but we just could no longer convince ourselves that the future could be anything better than a mostly tolerable grind, with much worse on the table. Maybe that's the case anywhere but it was time to find out.

• Hook 'Em 3

Somehow it was all the taxpayers' fault.  They'll pay for this!

I mean…there’s a 100% chance that any “solution” imposed will hurt the taxpayers, and leave the executive contributors to his campaign better than before.

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean…there’s a 100% chance that any “solution” imposed will hurt the taxpayers, and leave the executive contributors to his campaign better than before.

Abbott’s will decide they centerpoint exe$ need a raise 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Yea Right GIF

Funny how the GOP will not call for their own regulators to be investigated. Or it will be an internal investigation only that will still point the fingers outward.

And they definitely won't discuss the impact of deregulation has had on the electricity delivery system. After all, is there any chance that private industry does a poor job with capital improvements when the govt stops oversight of their monopoly?

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Funny how the GOP will not call for their own regulators to be investigated. Or it will be an internal investigation only that will still point the fingers outward.

And they definitely won't discuss the impact of deregulation has had on the electricity delivery system. After all, is there any chance that private industry does a poor job with capital improvements when the govt stops oversight of their monopoly?

The problem here isn't deregulation.  This is entirely a failure by Centerpoint, which is a transmission-and-delivery utility.

Electric generators are deregulated, as are retail utilities.  But the issue here isn't with the electric generators.  Unlike during the 2021 winter storm, there's plenty of electricity being generated.  And the problem isn't with the retailers--all they do is read your meter and bill you anyway.

The problem this go-around is entirely with Centerpoint.  And TDUs like Centerpoint are still regulated.  They still operate under a certificate of convenience and necessity, which delineates a territory in which they have a monopoly.  The PUC has to approve Centerpoint's rates; Centerpoint can't get a rate increase without getting the approval of the PUC.

Of course, that approval is typically forthcoming because . . . well, you know--this is Texas.  Regulators aren't really there to regulate industry so much as facilitate the regulated industry's fleecing of the citizenry.

So yeah--this isn't about deregulation.  This is about the failure of Greg Abbott's appointed regulators.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

When has Abbott and Patrick ever taken responsibility for anything ?

when have they showed leadership ? 

Taking responsibility isn't something chickenshits do. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2024 at 10:23 AM, closetohumping said:

Two people come for every one that leaves 

they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are not conservative christians

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

My guess is that Patrick will not take any more questions on this as he screwed up. At best, he will state that Biden screwed up and is confused, and he (Patrick) is getting to the bottom of it. Which means he won't talk about it again.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Nobody will give a shit about this in 2 weeks.

Except the people who  still don’t have power.

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

What does the county judge have to do with centerpoint  ?

I love the aggy flag sitting there behind him. 

Remember all this in 2026 ….

What does the county judge have to do with centerpoint  ?

Well you see she’s a Latina woman so it’s obviously her fault. 

11 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Nobody will give a shit about this in 2 weeks.

Just in time for CenterPoint’s next fuck up. 

When has Abbott and Patrick ever taken responsibility for anything ?

when have they showed leadership ? 

Why would they take responsibility when their constituents don’t care and keep electing them? 

The problem with America is Americans 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

And nobody will care about that one after 2 weeks.  The power grid in this state ain't getting fixed.

Who cares about the grid? We got DEI issues in Texas.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

you missed the media packet:

There are people who think Centerpoint has failed. They are dead-wrong.
Centerpoint made billions in profit, and performed exactly as contemplated and designed by the “regulatory” scheme put in place by the GQP leaders who have run this state without opposition for over 30 fucking years.
Centerpoint didn’t fail. Centerpoint succeeded in every metric that matters. It WILDLY SUCCEEDED.
What happened in the Houston area is the system WORKING EXACTLY AS DESIGNED AND INTENDED. And 99% of the people complaining about this outcome will continue to reward and vote for more of the same. Metaphorically, complaining about being ass-raped as they simultaneously present their spread ass cheeks and beg “fuck me here more, and harder.”
Same as we did regarding the 2021 grid failure. Texas isn’t becoming a failed shithole because of immigrants, or “wokeness,” or DEI. It’s becoming a failed shithole because that’s exactly what a governing philosophy of “profits for our donors are the only thing that matters, actual benefit and functionality for the public is just a cost that should be eliminated” produces. Duh. It’s a straight fucking line.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Guess it makes sense why he stayed about as far away on the planet as one could from the storm hitting his state knocking down trees, worried one might finish the job…

he could've provided the tl;dr version: "The day I became a piece of shit."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

he could've provided the tl;dr version: "The day I became a piece of shit."

To be fair he was probably a piece of shit before that day, that just gave him a chance to cash in on a lawsuit and then later prevent others from doing the same…

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep….HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Accountability…from Republican leadership.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA! Fucking RICH!

centerpoint ceo will be replaced and I’ll go out on a very short limb here that he has a hell of a golden parachute 

55 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

fucking lies, the said the same shit after the hard freeze 

$50 and my vote of your choosing says he'll be giving out Centerpoint C-level blowjobs by this time tomorrow.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

centerpoint ceo will be replaced and I’ll go out on a very short limb here that he has a hell of a golden parachute 

Bingo.  That's the most "consequence" you'll ever see: replace generic Republican knob-gobbler exec A with Republican knob-gobbler exec B.  

Chances of any material changes in policy, institutional behavior, and the like?  Below zero%.  Like, negative eleventy billion%.  The exact same enterprise, doing the exact same things, making the exact same profits (correction....even LARGER profits, because they'll be approved for a rate hike to make up for all of the "storm-caused lost revenue and excess costs") and the exact same donations to state Republican leaders, is what you are going to see a year from now.  It won't even break stride.

And again, the voters of Texas will overwhelmingly tell those same state leaders "GREAT JOB!  KEEP DELIVERING MORE OF THE SAME, RIGHT UP OUR ASSES WITH NO LUBE!"