Texas -- a failed state

Brisketexan

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

just got notice that the state registration and inspection requirements go away at the end of the year. but still required Dallas, Houston, Austin and eventually SA. gonna be a lot more broken down cars along the interstate. lovely.

years ago worked with this very conservative/libertarian type. He complained to no end about the inspection and smog check being unconstitutional. Of course, his pos car spewed smoke and I guessed he added a pint of oil per week. One day he shared a story that he spent a Saturday afternoon finding a state inspection station that didn't really check his car.

I always wanted to add that he was the reason that we had these inspections not the rest of us but my goal was to avoid any unnecessary conversations with the guy.

32 minutes ago, royiv said:

School shooting: Cops stand around while kids get murdered

Cop gets shot (not killed) five hundred miles away from me: wake up the entire state of Texas

royiv gets it.

The lives of a school full of children are worth less than the life of a single cop.  You all have empirical proof from Uvalde and Hall County.  The truth stares us right in the face - believe it.

7 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

just got notice that the state registration and inspection requirements go away at the end of the year. but still required Dallas, Houston, Austin and eventually SA. gonna be a lot more broken down cars along the interstate. lovely.

Registration doesn’t go away, just inspection. The required inspections in the urban areas will be emissions testing only. FWIW, I lived in AZ for nearly 20 years and they have the same setup. Emissions testing only for Maricopa County and no other sort of safety or mechanical inspection. In reality, I saw no difference in the vehicles on the road. I see multiple vehicles on the road here in Texas every single day that can’t pass the current inspection. People just don’t get them inspected. We have posters on this board who have admitted that they haven’t registered their vehicles for years meaning they also haven’t had them inspected. On the surface, it does seem stupid, but I don’t think inspections do anything meaningful to keep unsafe vehicles off the road. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Registration will still be required because it's essentially a road tax, but the standard inspection is being done away with. For the big metros, I imagine that they still need to be inspected because they tend to be (or are very close to it, like Austin) EPA air quality nonattainment areas.

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

Registration doesn’t go away, just inspection. The required inspections in the urban areas will be emissions testing only. FWIW, I lived in AZ for nearly 20 years and they have the same setup. Emissions testing only for Maricopa County and no other sort of safety or mechanical inspection. In reality, I saw no difference in the vehicles on the road. I see multiple vehicles on the road here in Texas every single day that can’t pass the current inspection. People just don’t get them inspected. We have posters on this board who have admitted that they haven’t registered their vehicles for years meaning they also haven’t had them inspected. On the surface, it does seem stupid, but I don’t think inspections do anything meaningful to keep unsafe vehicles off the road. 

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Registration will still be required because it's essentially a road tax, but the standard inspection is being done away with. For the big metros, I imagine that they still need to be inspected because they tend to be (or are very close to it, like Austin) EPA air quality nonattainment areas.

I stand corrected!

47 minutes ago, royiv said:

School shooting: Cops stand around while kids get murdered

Cop gets shot (not killed) five hundred miles away from me: wake up the entire state of Texas

Somewhat related, but a few months ago in Downtown LA, I got stuck in traffic on the outskirts of downtown. And when I say stuck, I mean car did not move for over 30 minutes, drivers were getting out of their cars to walk up the street to get a look. Once I got to work - an hour late - I learned that the LA County Sherriff's department was holding a funeral for a fallen deputy in the downtown Cathedral, and they figured they better block off most access to the area, for unknown reasons. No prior notice. This impacted thousands of workers who were delayed in getting to work.

Learned later that day that the deputy died of cancer. 

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 10/4/2024 at 6:58 AM, Pam Cummings said:

Is there anything more useless than a "blue alert"? Get fucked.

I care.

That shit has now woken me up TWICE in the last week in the middle of the night.

WTF? 
I don’t get amber alerts or Silver alerts.

Yet I get those shits at like 3 am.

In what world do I as a citizen need to know about a person on the lose who’s killed a cop if i don’t get an alert for EVERY murderer on the lose?

I could potentially find and make a difference for a kidnapped kid. I could also keep an eye out for a wayward old.

A cop killer? I’m getting the da fuq out of there and hunkering down. That’s their fucking job to hunt that MFer down.

I don’t need to lose sleep bc of it.

Sorry.

• Hook 'Em 1