Texas -- a failed state

Brisketexan

57 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Nurse: I’m not educated at all.

FIFY

This is what happens when you decimate public education.  

My niece got her nursing degree and then a doctorate in physical therapy.

She once said the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard a person say. She asked me if there was a bridge to Hawaii. You know, because it doesn’t look that far from California on a globe.

Speechless.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We have many years of Texas high school students who were only taught to pass the TAKS and then STAARS tests. They don’t know anything about Carter. The answer to any question about the Carter administration is Iran Hostage crisis but I doubt Carter warrants more than a couple of paragraphs in a history textbook.

Overall Carter is a relatively minor presidency surrounded by more memorable people and events. He had JFK, LBJ, Vietnam and Nixon before him and Reagan and the Cold War ending afterwards. Yes, I ignored Ford. General history will pretty much ignore Carter too.

a deeper dive into history would be kinder to Carter especially in an ideal of selfless post presidencies.

It was too depressing to add she said she heard of George Bush but didn’t mention Obama. These grown people know nothing about the world they’re living in.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GenXer said:

She once said the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard a person say. She asked me if there was a bridge to Hawaii. You know, because it doesn’t look that far from California on a globe.

Speechless.

How hot is she

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, GenXer said:

Speechless.

Geospatial awareness and representation is not one of their strengths. It's ok, we are all different. My wife cannot navigate anywhere on the planet without GPS. 

But if it told her there was a bridge to hawaii should would probably drive off it. 

5 hours ago, Satchel said:

In order for Texas to realize its full potential, much work must be done in black and brown communities to educate non voters. Spoke with my sister yesterday after her routine visit to the doctor. She had this exchange with a young Latina RN who graduated from Angelo State:

Sister: isn’t it wonderful to see Jimmy Carter celebrate his 100th birthday?
Nurse: Who is Jimmy Carter?  
Sister: He’s the former POTUS

Nurse: I’m not into politics, although my brother is trying to teach me more about it.

I’ve had similar dispiriting conversations with young (and old) black people when canvassing neighborhoods for votes.

Texas state universities are supposed to require six hours of US history covering colonial times to roughly the present.

Wtf, Angelo State.

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer on an awesome page, but Abbott is probably the only person that can save an autistic guy who was failed by the hospital/doctors that he took his daughter to.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/texas-lawmakers-urge-mercy-for-autistic-man-set-to-be-executed-in-childs-death/

Knowing Abbott, he'll let the guy die, even though Republicans and Democrats both believe he needs to grant him clemency.

• Rage+1 3

I

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Texas state universities are supposed to require six hours of US history covering colonial times to roughly the present.

Wtf, Angelo State.

I don't think we ever finished a history book when I was in high school.  Carter is to far in the back of the book to get covered I would wager.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I

I don't think we ever finished a history book when I was in high school.  Carter is to far in the back of the book to get covered I would wager.

The most recent event in any history class I ever took was World War II. Of course, I graduated high school in 1989, so hopefully, they're at least getting to Vietnam by now.

27 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The most recent event in any history class I ever took was World War II. Of course, I graduated high school in 1989, so hopefully, they're at least getting to Vietnam by now.

My youngest son graduated from High School in 2021, and he studied about Vietnam in History.  We he talked to me about it, I told him "that's not history, that's current events".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My youngest son graduated from High School in 2021, and he studied about Vietnam in History.  We he talked to me about it, I told him "that's not history, that's current events".

What constitutes "history" is a matter of perspective as we all get older, I suppose.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer on an awesome page, but Abbott is probably the only person that can save an autistic guy who was failed by the hospital/doctors that he took his daughter to.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/texas-lawmakers-urge-mercy-for-autistic-man-set-to-be-executed-in-childs-death/

Knowing Abbott, he'll let the guy die, even though Republicans and Democrats both believe he needs to grant him clemency.

3 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

If anything he’ll speed up the execution 

Speed it up?  Shit, he'll want to go down there and push the button himself.

The cruelty is the point, because it's a display of raw power.

A government that executes citizens guilty of heinous crimes is powerful.

But you wannna know what's REALLY powerful?  A government that can execute innocent citizens, without being stopped and suffering no repercussions.  THAT'S power.  The GQP loves exercises of power that are morally wrong and indefensible, because being able to get away with the "wrong and indefensible" is something only someone with absolute power can do.  And "absolute power" is their only goal.

• Rage+1 6

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

I needed some history credits and I took a History of the Cold War class at ACC a couple of years ago.

The professor and I were both alive during a decent chunk of the Cold War.

The rest of the class was born after the Cold War.

Old Man Smile GIF by F*CK, THAT'S DELICIOUS

It was actually a really good class, but most of the others in the class thought it was weird that we used to have duck-and-cover drills as kids.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I needed some history credits and I took a History of the Cold War class at ACC a couple of years ago.

The professor and I were both alive during a decent chunk of the Cold War.

The rest of the class was born after the Cold War.

Old Man Smile GIF by F*CK, THAT'S DELICIOUS

It was actually a really good class, but most of the others in the class thought it was weird that we used to have duck-and-cover drills as kids.

I'm guessing you average 20 year old today woudln't think it was weird. 

• Rage+1 2

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wtf, Angelo State.

Ever since Sister Fabian made us memorize the names of all US presidents, and all of the president’s cabinet officials, I’ve felt the need to know stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

CSB:

I met my now-wife in a class on the Vietnam War that we took together our jr. year of high school. 

At the time, she hated me, because (to hear her tell it) I was a pompous know-it-all asshole. 

Man, the fucking NERVE of her.  Talk about getting the wrong read on a guy, right?

• Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

CSB:

I met my now-wife in a class on the Vietnam War that we took together our jr. year of high school. 

At the time, she hated me, because (to hear her tell it) I was a pompous know-it-all asshole. 

Man, the fucking NERVE of her.  Talk about getting the wrong read on a guy, right?

You lied and told her she could change you, didn’t you?

21 hours ago, bolverk said:

‘88 grad here with the same experience and probably same textbook. We spent more time on the teapot dome scandal than anything after 1945.

If the same logic applied today students probably get up to Watergate. You probably need to be 25+ years behind so that some parents don’t have strong aversion to the history being taught.

• Like 1