What are y’all buying for the next grid failure?

Homercles

8 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator 9500 Rated and 12500 Peak Watts On Amazon (right now available for $1000)

I can easily run 2 A/C compressors, 2 fridges, all electronics and pool pump (need to se the pump to run at a constant low speed and not the initial high speed ramp-up it normally does).  All house lights LED so low load.  I wouldn't try running electric dryer or electric oven without fear of tripping a breaker but who is doing laundry or baking during an outage (as cooktop) and if needed, I would just turn off one A/C unit on the panel if I needed to use either...

thanks. yeah on the oven, I will probably go gas(it is already plumbed), you can at least boil water if needed if the double whammy of power/water goes out again.  that said the microwave would get the most use during an extended outage anyway. but the main thing is a/c and fridge.

on the pool pump, I'll need to figure out how to set on low speed without getting the surge from the initial priming.

44 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

thanks. yeah on the oven, I will probably go gas(it is already plumbed), you can at least boil water if needed if the double whammy of power/water goes out again.  that said the microwave would get the most use during an extended outage anyway. but the main thing is a/c and fridge.

on the pool pump, I'll need to figure out how to set on low speed without getting the surge from the initial priming.

Typo above, my stovetop is gas, the oven is electric.

On my VSP, you basically have to override the timer settings and go into a low circulation/low RPM mode just to keep the water moving (and the chlorine working). Or play with the fusebox to not let A/C kick on until after the initial VSP prime is done...

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 years later...
45 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Bump for the Beryl/Meryl/Ceryl apocalypse.  Let’s have Team Drip and Team Wrap not get into it just now.  That issue matter for at least 3 months.

My drip is wrapped and my wrap is full of drip.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

It's not a replacement for an actual backup battery, but I'm pretty happy with the 18v tool battery adapter I picked up. Put it on a battery and it gives you 150w AC plug and a USB-C port, and gives some nice flexibility to the pile-o-batteries

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2024 at 7:20 AM, Captainant said:

It's not a replacement for an actual backup battery, but I'm pretty happy with the 18v tool battery adapter I picked up. Put it on a battery and it gives you 150w AC plug and a USB-C port, and gives some nice flexibility to the pile-o-batteries

Is this something I could use with my pile of DeWalt batteries? Have a link?

Dewalt has a bunch of 20v usb charger, a 200w /120v inverter  adapters and even a multi battery 1800w inverter “generator”.  Lots of options.   

I bought this one that has USB A and C out out to charger phones etc and it also takes usb-c charging inlet to charge 20v batteries off of a usb-c wall charger or from my truck 12v usb-c outlet which is my primary need.  It won’t power 120v ac devices though, need a different adapter for that.

85B32F00-BA6C-4410-BDAD-FF4E65152DA6.thumb.png.eb9c12f780bc1e77ee6429dbce302797.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Is this something I could use with my pile of DeWalt batteries? Have a link?

I've got a Ryobi flavored one, but it looks like there's a whole bunch of options out there. This one from walmart is nice with 2 batteries so you can swap out a dead battery without interrupting power. There's a legit option from Dewalt too that'll put out 1000W if you connect it to a car battery

edit: That 100W USB-C output linked by davidg is pretty dang nice. Most all of my devices can be powered directly from USB-C anyways now

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

My list

• easier method/device to switch my fridge to generator power. Right now my fridge has been pulled out to the center of the kitchen.
  • portable cooling tower for my living room. I have a window unit for my bedroom but the living room doesn't have a convenient window.
  • Perhaps a second generator. I question having my current one run practically 24/7. That can't be good for it.
  • look into having the starlink internet equipment without a subscription with the ability to quickly subscribe.

or just a one-way ticket out of Texas.

One thing I need to investigate is finding ethanol free gas in central Houston. I prefer using it on small engines like generators and should be using it with my lawnmower. However I only know that the Buc'ees in Katy and Waller have it. Too far to drive unless I'm already out that way for another reason.

Or if that doesn’t work, your husband can pour the gas for you.

Meh, some if these newer gas cans have stupid breakable nozzles for safety reasons but their quality causes one to have to use a funnel.

One thing I need to investigate is finding ethanol free gas in central Houston. I prefer using it on small engines like generators and should be using it with my lawnmower. However I only know that the Buc'ees in Katy and Waller have it. Too far to drive unless I'm already out that way for another reason.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

I’m pulling a Cuban and buying one of those Ryobi 18V inverters today.  I have several of those batteries, and that could seriously come in handy in a jam, much less camping, etc.

Go ahead and grab a fan that fits your battery system too. I can run my Dewalt fan 8 hrs on a 5ah battery. Use it all the time camping and if I’m sitting outside in a chair. Instant breeze.
I’m pulling a Cuban and buying one of those Ryobi 18V inverters today.  I have several of those batteries, and that could seriously come in handy in a jam, much less camping, etc.

Go ahead and grab a fan that fits your battery system too. I can run my Dewalt fan 8 hrs on a 5ah battery. Use it all the time camping and if I’m sitting outside in a chair. Instant breeze.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Pro tip - ethanol burns faster than the gasoline it's mixed with.  So just buy 5 or 10 gallons of regular gas, boil it for about 3 to 5 minutes, and you have ethanol free. YMMV, but report back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Pro tip - ethanol burns faster than the gasoline it's mixed with.  So just buy 5 or 10 gallons of regular gas, boil it for about 3 to 5 minutes, and you have ethanol free. YMMV, but report back.

Boiling gas sounds like a brilliant idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
  • easier method/device to switch my fridge to generator power. Right now my fridge has been pulled out to the center of the kitchen.

So... an extension cord? :)

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I just use Stabil for all gas going into my small engine equipment.  Buying several bottles of it and having it ready to go tends to be easier than finding ethanol-free gas when I need it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

How should I take the cinnamon again? I do what with the Tide Pod?
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

So... an extension cord? :)

Ha. That’s what I have today along with several other extension cords snaking throughout my house.

since it’s becoming a multi process per year, I need to find a better method. Or just get the whole house generator since it’s now a Houston necessity. 

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Its not that much closer but I know the Philips 66 on Westheimer just west of the Beltway usually has ethanol free gas

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The Murphy USA station in my local Walmart parking lot has it. Might be worth checking out if you have a Walmart nearby. 

I will check it out.

I started the week with ethanol free gas but had to switch to ethanol gas as the week progressed. I've noticed that I can't quite get the same # of hours of generated energy with the ethanol gas. It's not drastic but I was able to sleep ~8 hours without refilling the ethanol free. I set my alarm to 7 hours with ethanol because it has run dry the other night.

It matters because I've noticed that if the generator runs dry after an extended run period, I have to let it cool down for a couple of hours before it will restart. And yes, I refill the generator while it's running. I'm extremely careful.

I've been doing a lot of reading on generator setups today. I'm going to get a quote for a Kohler stand by, but I'm expecting the cost to be in the $12K+ range. I think a manual transfer switch and a portable generator or two is the solution for around a quarter of the price. I'm leaning toward inverter generators for the lower noise and cleaner power. Two 5000's in parallel or one 11,000. I have no idea if this would power one or both of my 5 ton AC's. I'm thinking of getting a couple cheap window units as a backup plan anyway. Any recommendations for transfer switch installs in West Houston area?

• Hook 'Em 1

A lot of people in my neighborhood have that type of setup. The biggest thing you’re missing out on is power outages from a bad thunderstorm. I’m out on the west side (99 and Mason) and our power blips every heavy thunderstorm. My whole house automatically starts up and I’m down for no more than 30 seconds. Since I work from home - it’s nice to be able to just keep going without any extra work on my part.

29 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

A lot of people in my neighborhood have that type of setup. The biggest thing you’re missing out on is power outages from a bad thunderstorm. I’m out on the west side (99 and Mason) and our power blips every heavy thunderstorm. My whole house automatically starts up and I’m down for no more than 30 seconds. Since I work from home - it’s nice to be able to just keep going without any extra work on my part.

Yep. The convenience is worth more, but just have to decide how much more. A few grand and it's a no brainer. $10K or so makes it a tougher decision. My biggest concerns are if A) I'm not home or B) we're on vacation. A whole home automatic version would be ideal in both of those scenarios.

Regardless, we need to do something. Outages are becoming a regular occurrence lately.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Okie State said:

I've been doing a lot of reading on generator setups today. I'm going to get a quote for a Kohler stand by, but I'm expecting the cost to be in the $12K+ range. I think a manual transfer switch and a portable generator or two is the solution for around a quarter of the price. I'm leaning toward inverter generators for the lower noise and cleaner power. Two 5000's in parallel or one 11,000. I have no idea if this would power one or both of my 5 ton AC's. I'm thinking of getting a couple cheap window units as a backup plan anyway. Any recommendations for transfer switch installs in West Houston area?

If you get soft starts for your AC units you'll probably have enough headroom for at least one 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

If you get soft starts for your AC units you'll probably have enough headroom for at least one 

I've been reading about those. My downstairs unit is an older 5 ton and upstairs is a 4 ton variable speed. I'd be okay with one of them running.

Any preferences on a manual transfer switch vs. an interlock? Seems like both have pros and cons, but either should work.

Edited by Okie State

17 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Any preferences on a manual transfer switch vs. an interlock? Seems like both have pros and cons, but either should work.

My in laws have a manual transfer switch with a manual 15kw generator that runs off their big ass propane tank. It was a ton cheaper than the auto set up and there's less of a concern with thrashing when power is intermittent 

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

My in laws have a manual transfer switch with a manual 15kw generator that runs off their big ass propane tank. It was a ton cheaper than the auto set up and there's less of a concern with thrashing when power is intermittent 

Agreed. The only reason to have an automatic is if you go standby and don't want to touch anything. I'd do manual if I go the portable route.

From what I've gathered, the manual transfer switch requires you to preselect which circuits will be energized when you flip over to generator power. An interlock is also manual, but energizes the entire breaker box once you isolate from the grid and you manage the load by selecting which breakers remain on. I could see advantages to each.

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:

From what I've gathered, the manual transfer switch requires you to preselect which circuits will be energized when you flip over to generator power. An interlock is also manual, but energizes the entire breaker box once you isolate from the grid and you manage the load by selecting which breakers remain on. I could see advantages to each.

Their cutover panel physically flips the other breakers open and you slot the ones you want to stay energized all in a certain spot in your breaker box. They still have room for moving two more 20A circuits onto their transfer switch too. 

When it's normal operation, you can keep all your circuits closed. Seems pretty straightforward and you can still choose a subset of circuits if you want to or have power budget concerns

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/11/2024 at 8:52 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I will check it out.

I started the week with ethanol free gas but had to switch to ethanol gas as the week progressed. I've noticed that I can't quite get the same # of hours of generated energy with the ethanol gas. It's not drastic but I was able to sleep ~8 hours without refilling the ethanol free. I set my alarm to 7 hours with ethanol because it has run dry the other night.

It matters because I've noticed that if the generator runs dry after an extended run period, I have to let it cool down for a couple of hours before it will restart. And yes, I refill the generator while it's running. I'm extremely careful.

aren't modern generators designed to run off ethanol gas ?

Posted (edited)

They will run off of ethanol gas just fine. It has less energy in it than pure gasoline though. E10 gets you worse mpg than E0 so I would assume that's why it gets less generation time as well.

Edited by Okie State