What are y’all buying for the next grid failure?

Homercles

After this, I’m getting a way of plugging in a generator into my breaker box.  I’m also going to upgrade my generator so I can run my downstairs AC at least. 

They will run off of ethanol gas just fine. It has less energy in it than pure gasoline though. E10 gets you worse mpg than E0 so I would assume that's why it gets less generation time as well.

Shit breaks down if you store it very long.

50 minutes ago, Hate said:

After this, I’m getting a way of plugging in a generator into my breaker box.  I’m also going to upgrade my generator so I can run my downstairs AC at least. 

I’m in Austin so the decision for me (between automatic /permanent generator vs manual setup) is a little easier (with the concern here the past ~4 years being freak winter storms, not hurricanes…no jinx. hope all of that holds).

I might have chosen a different path if I had to deal with what you all have to be concerned with every year for ~5 months.

but that caveat out of the way, I’m very pleased with my bang for the buck on my manual setup plugging my generator into the breaker box.

Under $1,100 for a generator and setup that can power my entire ~1,500 sq ft home at the same time (sans the microwave or oven (range is gas)…have to turn off off some breakers to use those. Which could easily be remedied with a larger generator.

but here was my supply list from 18 months ago. (I wanted dual fuel to be able to use propane instead of gas and having to disassemble and clean the thing in between uses since I don’t really use the generator for anything else right now.)

IMG_1424.jpeg

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

From what I've gathered, the manual transfer switch requires you to preselect which circuits will be energized when you flip over to generator power. An interlock is also manual, but energizes the entire breaker box once you isolate from the grid and you manage the load by selecting which breakers remain on. I could see advantages to each.

I don’t really understand the benefit of the transfer switch.

why limit what you can use?

I mean I guess if you’re trying to make it dummy (wife) proof and keep it simple. But you can still do that with the “interlock”. Put color coded dots in the breaker box if you’re concerned about turning on too many. Anything with a green can all be on at the same time. 3 greens and 2 yellows can be on at the same time 1 green and 1 red at the same time. Or something like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m in Austin so the decision for me (between automatic /permanent generator vs manual setup) is a little easier (with the concern here the past ~4 years being freak winter storms, not hurricanes…no jinx. hope all of that holds).
I might have chosen a different path if I had to deal with what you all have to be concerned with every year for ~5 months.
but that caveat out of the way, I’m very pleased with my bang for the buck on my manual setup plugging my generator into the breaker box.
Under $1,100 for a generator and setup that can power my entire ~1,500 sq ft home at the same time (sans the microwave or oven (range is gas)…have to turn off off some breakers to use those. Which could easily be remedied with a larger generator.
but here was my supply list from 18 months ago. (I wanted dual fuel to be able to use propane instead of gas and having to disassemble and clean the thing in between uses since I don’t really use the generator for anything else right now.)
IMG_1424.thumb.jpeg.2b9c78ff7f3773fca95ce57efbcd02a0.jpeg

That’s not running the AC too.

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

That’s not running the AC too.

Dumb question amnesty. Does it take more power to run central heat vs central AC?

Because I had no issue running the whole house (with central heat on) in the winter.

I did all of the math matching up generator wattage and what I’d need to run most of the house before I decided what size generator to get and it checked out. 

I have a pretty good list of what's on each circuit already, but I need to do a more extensive check. Some of the circuits make no sense in this house. I'll also add up an approximate wattage range per circuit as a reference.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

They will run off of ethanol gas just fine. It has less energy in it than pure gasoline though. E10 gets you worse mpg than E0 so I would assume that's why it gets less generation time as well.

IMO propane or natgas generators are the way to go. Gasoline breaks down after 6 to 9 months and you have to keep cycling it. Propane can sit in a cylinder for years with no problems. Plus it flows cleaner through the generators fuel system and makes it less prone to gumming up

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Or you could just move back home where this nonsense isn't a problem.

200.gif

• Haha 1

I don’t really understand the benefit of the transfer switch.
why limit what you can use?
I mean I guess if you’re trying to make it dummy (wife) proof and keep it simple. But you can still do that with the “interlock”. Put color coded dots in the breaker box if you’re concerned about turning on too many. Anything with a green can all be on at the same time. 3 greens and 2 yellows can be on at the same time 1 green and 1 red at the same time. Or something like that. 

lol

Propane is great for those short outages and I had 5 tanks here as reserve. But instead of 4-6 hours each that I was thinking, they only lasted 2 hours each under load. Luckily, I was able to run and fill 15 gallons before the gas lines formed that kept me running for the duration. I had bought a NG conversion kit earlier but it’s still sitting in the box and hadn’t been installed (yet)…

9 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Dumb question amnesty. Does it take more power to run central heat vs central AC?

Because I had no issue running the whole house (with central heat on) in the winter.

I did all of the math matching up generator wattage and what I’d need to run most of the house before I decided what size generator to get and it checked out. 

Depends on your setup. If you have a gas furnace, the electricity use is very minimal. It just needs power for the power light and the fan. If you have a heat pump, usage is about the same. 

• Like 2

For those of you not needing to power central AC, and in older homes with older electrical panels like myself, where an interlock is not an option, you can get an EZ generator switch (linked below) to run your gas furnace from a portable generator. I have one on order after talking to a neighbor that has one installed. That would have come in real handy during the last 2 freezes in Austin. For heat related outages, I have a couple of window units that can be powered by my 2 smaller portable genny's.

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-GENERATOR-SWITCH-Generator-UNIVERSAL/dp/B00FADDE0A/ref=sr_1_1?crid=38DI8IU3QZ7SG&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.m8WXF_N81h9Vzmp0wIHfNv33YiOndaN4YfP05GMuJoYJTB0qXFNoeDED8dJl0PCKN6VCWAnzusOkFHEgJydAi9k9mT-UjJRhmPshy1w6Pm12BDT71stTUK0ZtB2m0wZbLYsmh8zWx5DVxhhSBFQX4CWCnEIHhJQ-8qN58I10UlsIKghb-K0Wc424t_ddWJVtSa7ntgOidhAlkhdo9Nd7y-ePiB3QkaAWURhN6GfnFZfQRGnuYWm4suZOoIrHymCyhMHhSHBfH6HQ46r2MqB9bgHQd678sArFt-p1jf2AjVI.SVfibrVvaBKwLrsqHo6mYQx1obG6O-5vHGx1TB6S_mI&dib_tag=se&keywords=ez+transfer+switch&qid=1721051285&sprefix=EZ+Trans%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-1

19 hours ago, Okie State said:

I've been doing a lot of reading on generator setups today. I'm going to get a quote for a Kohler stand by, but I'm expecting the cost to be in the $12K+ range. I think a manual transfer switch and a portable generator or two is the solution for around a quarter of the price. I'm leaning toward inverter generators for the lower noise and cleaner power. Two 5000's in parallel or one 11,000. I have no idea if this would power one or both of my 5 ton AC's. I'm thinking of getting a couple cheap window units as a backup plan anyway. Any recommendations for transfer switch installs in West Houston area?

One advantage to the portable generators is that they're portable and you can use them for other things.  Tailgating, camping, etc.  Definitely get the inverter type.  They're more expensive for a reason.

10 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Shit breaks down if you store it very long.

Stabil does a great job at minimizing that.

Posted (edited)

Generators are real neat until they break and then it's a fucking nightmare getting them fixed if it's not something simple.  I have been trying to get one at work fixed for a few months.  It's an intermittent problem where it starts and then shuts itself off because it isn't generating electricity.  Have had 2 different companies look at it, the last of which charged us $2,400 for a 3 or 4 hour visit.  They upgraded firmware on one of the boards and it worked for 2 weeks only to start having the same issue again last week.  Most companies I talk to only want to do maintenance work it seems like.  The worst part is that it wasn't even a year old when the issue started.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Grimas said:

Propane is great for those short outages and I had 5 tanks here as reserve. But instead of 4-6 hours each that I was thinking, they only lasted 2 hours each under load. Luckily, I was able to run and fill 15 gallons before the gas lines formed that kept me running for the duration. I had bought a NG conversion kit earlier but it’s still sitting in the box and hadn’t been installed (yet)…

Just a note to someone making plans, the output rating on the portable generators are for gas.  If you use propane, you have a 10% drop in output and natural gas results in a 20% drop in output.  Keep that in mind when sizing a generator and matching it with the fuel input you plan on using.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m getting a bigger generator that is tri-fuel capable and having an electrician install a transfer switch or whatever it is called so I can plug the generator right into the house. I want to be able to have the downstairs operate normally and to have options for powering the generator. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m getting a bigger generator that is tri-fuel capable and having an electrician install a transfer switch or whatever it is called so I can plug the generator right into the house. I want to be able to have the downstairs operate normally and to have options for powering the generator. 

What if downstairs floods? Think about that smart guy?

Kidding, plan makes sense.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Just looking at this thread title again.  At this point, I presume that the only comprehensive, actual solution answer is "a home in another state," right?

By other state, I am assume you mean nation-state?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

My setup was the reverse - I had the upstairs unit (3 ton) set to 60 deg. and kept the downstairs on fan only since heat rises. Setting to 60 kept the compressor from cycling and taking the power spike (even though I have "soft start" switches installed on both units). Only thing I kept off in the fuse panel was the oven, dryer and pool pump as those have large impacts on power draw (and to ensure wife didn't actually try to use them and trip the fuses...)  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hate said:

Yeah, I’m wishing i had gotten a bigger generator and the natural gas option to be able to tap in to the gas line.

But really only a pain if I’m staring at a week plus without power. A few days and my setup (swapping propane tanks) is fine  

Edited by UTexasFight

I fully get the idea that storing gallons of gas could become a problem unless you are cool with keeping up with that. I've always kept small amounts of gasoline that could always be dumped into my mower as the gas ages. I'm probably in the minority here that I still mow my lawn.

After this fiasco, I may look into a hand pump that allows me push the stored gasoline into my vehicle tank. That way I could store 5-10 gallons at any time but not allow it to go bad.

on the broader question of standby vs portable, I'm still team portable for my current house/situation. It's not a big deal to set it up within 5-10 minutes. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I fully get the idea that storing gallons of gas could become a problem unless you are cool with keeping up with that. I've always kept small amounts of gasoline that could always be dumped into my mower as the gas ages. I'm probably in the minority here that I still mow my lawn.

After this fiasco, I may look into a hand pump that allows me push the stored gasoline into my vehicle tank. That way I could store 5-10 gallons at any time but not allow it to go bad.

on the broader question of standby vs portable, I'm still team portable for my current house/situation. It's not a big deal to set it up within 5-10 minutes. 

I keep 2 5-gallon tanks of gas on-hand at any time.  A couple oz of Stabil per can.  If they sit too long I just pour them into the gas tank on one of the cars and refresh.  It's actually quite handy because my wife invariably runs her gas tank to "E" and then "trades cars" with me when she realized she's out of gas and in a huge hurry to get to work.  No problem, I tell her I'll handle it and she owes me. :)

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Something to consider about whole home units is that for extended outages like this one, a generator will be due for an oil change after about a week or continuous running.  It's not a bad idea to have a filter and oil on hand because good luck getting one serviced at a time like this.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just looking at this thread title again.  At this point, I presume that the only comprehensive, actual solution answer is "a home in another state," right?

New construction in another state.  My neighborhood started development in 2020, so we have buried lines.  We had a 100mph derecho in June last year and didn't lose power.  Had a major thunderstorm 3 weeks ago with 60mph winds and lost power for about 90 minutes.   Buried lines are the way. 

I have been looking at home batteries, but the performance of the grid here south of Tulsa for the past three years has removed a lot of the urgency and I'm just waiting for technology to improve and prices to drop.  

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Something to consider about whole home units is that for extended outages like this one, a generator will be due for an oil change after about a week or continuous running.  It's not a bad idea to have a filter and oil on hand because good luck getting one serviced at a time like this.

Yes, I know of several people who seemed surprised about the need to maintain the generator during an extended power outage. It's not so simple as waiting for the annual maintenance schedule from the generator installer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, I know of several people who seemed surprised about the need to maintain the generator during an extended power outage. It's not so simple as waiting for the annual maintenance schedule from the generator installer.

The guy we spoke with basically said it's good to shut it off for an hour or two each day, and stay on top of the oil, and have it serviced after every prolonged event of usage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

It depends on the size.  The smaller 22kw are around 100 hours and the bigger ones can be up to 200.  The one we have at work that is broken is a 48kw and actually has a Chevy 305 v8 in it.  Kohler bought the rights to make and use them.

Edited by kevwun

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It depends on the size.  The smaller 22kw are around 100 hours and the bigger ones can be up to 200.  The one we have at work that is broken actually has a Chevy 305 v8 in it.  Kohler bought the rights to make and use them.

You should just LS swap it. Problem solved.

• Like 2

The generator I bought last Monday required an initial oil change at 25 hours and then every 100 hours of operation.  It went about 48 hours when my power was restored and I did my first oil change then.  The oil wasn’t black, but very dark brown.  They weren’t kidding about the initial 25 hour change.  People I know with large natural gas fired generators told me they also have to replace the oil very often.  

Are you all using synthetic oil? I bought a portable generator a few years ago and initially put synthetic in it. Haven’t had a need for it in austin yet so I just start it up for like 5-10 minutes every month or two

5 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Nice. That would be ideal but expensive

Batteries were about the same as a standby generator (~15k installed after tax credit). Solar is on pace to pay for itself in year 7. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

WTF?   Lot of chatter on Reddit that linemen that are working to repair the Texas grid are being harassed and in some cases abused by locals.  

They are asking for it with the way they dress. 

11 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

What if downstairs floods? Think about that smart guy?

Kidding, plan makes sense.

The one I’m looking at is 13KW, which would be enough to run many of my appliances. I wouldn’t be able to run them all at the same time. I also want the ability to have multiple sources of fuel. Gas became problematic for a day or two after the storm had passed. I have a natural gas hook up for my old grill that I can connect to easily and propane is always easy to find. 

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

Stabil is good but it’ll still go bad in time.  I’m told aviation gas is better.  Buy it in a sealed drum, keep it sealed until the apocalypse.

Avgas is still gasoline and it breaks down over time. There's a reason the military uses turboprops over piston planes in the modern era - they burn jet fuel (sparkling diesel) rather than avgas