Tampa...beaches

Assman

5 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Tell me some places to eat in St Pete’s. I’m headed back there for work tomorrow for a week. I’ve been there probably 12 times and almost always stay at Beach House Suites. I feel like I’ve worn out that strip.
Thanks.

Buya Ramen. Go for the cocktails…stay for the soup. Tell Brunch I said “Hello!”  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/5/2021 at 5:37 PM, C-Man said:

Eat dinner at Bern's Steakhouse. You'll need a jacket, though, unless you eat in the bar/cocktail area. Make sure you get the tour of the restaurant -- it's cool. Bern's has the 3rd-largest wine collection in the world, apparently. They took us into the on-site cellar -- they have warehouses where they store shit -- and I saw a port that was like 150 years old or something. The servers have the wine book memorized. Seriously.

Bern's about to get fucked up.  There is a restaurant on Miami Beach called the Forge.  It made the top two or three in Wine Spectators great steakhouses.  I went there after hurricane Andrew.  WS said be sure to ask for the reserve list.  We asked for the reserve list and while I was reviewing it, some dude with a French accent came up and took the list from me and said "you can order nothing from this list" and walked off.  I was like WTF and the waiter explained they had a huge insurance claim for wine after the hurricane.  The restaurant said the wine was damaged and the insurance company said prove it.  The only way to prove it was to open it, but the insurance company wouldn't pay for the opened wine.  I wrote a letter to WS and I got a return letter from Marvin Shanken and a phone call from him.  I explained to him what happened and he said he contacted the owner of the Forge and the owner wanted to talk to me.  I called the owner Al Malnik, who graciously said the next time I was in, he wanted to buy me a glass of wine...  I was like what about that $1000 meal I just had... 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Litig8r said:

Bern's about to get fucked up.  There is a restaurant on Miami Beach called the Forge.  It made the top two or three in Wine Spectators great steakhouses.  I went there after hurricane Andrew.  WS said be sure to ask for the reserve list.  We asked for the reserve list and while I was reviewing it, some dude with a French accent came up and took the list from me and said "you can order nothing from this list" and walked off.  I was like WTF and the waiter explained they had a huge insurance claim for wine after the hurricane.  The restaurant said the wine was damaged and the insurance company said prove it.  The only way to prove it was to open it, but the insurance company wouldn't pay for the opened wine.  I wrote a letter to WS and I got a return letter from Marvin Shanken and a phone call from him.  I explained to him what happened and he said he contacted the owner of the Forge and the owner wanted to talk to me.  I called the owner Al Malnik, who graciously said the next time I was in, he wanted to buy me a glass of wine...  I was like what about that $1000 meal I just had... 

Yeah, Tampa/St Petersburg is going to get a direct hit it appears.

Let me tell you a fun wine insurance story. Chubb had a private client who had a ridiculous wine collection. Something happened to the climate control system in the cellar -- or it lost power or something from a storm -- and many of the labels came off the wine. This was very expensive wine that the guy no longer had any idea what was what. Chubb paid the claim to cover all the wine where the labels came off and took the wine. They threw one hell of an office party as employees opened all the bottles like mystery beer night!

• Hook 'Em 1