Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

Posted (edited)

Such fucking stupid BS that the transition to a new government from the time the polls closed is like 15 hours and for us, it’s 2.5 months. If Biden is sworn in on November 8, 2020, no insurrection attempt would have had time to foment 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I think this about sums it up...

"I'm fed up of personal agendas and jockeying for position," he(Sir Robert Buckland) added, warning that the upcoming Tory leadership contest was "going to be like a group of bald men arguing over a comb".

• Haha 5

So labour has what 5 years, at a minimum in power? There is still a nasty element in the UK for too many voting for farage’s candidates. He basically split the Tory vote which created this result. that is the biggest takeaway to me.

im curious if the Tory leaders will hold firm to their ideals or effectively merge back with farage in the upcoming years. My guess is that they will be politicians and give farage more power. 

There’s a whole story here - the boy camped out at the grand opening of the first Popeyes in central Glasgow, and got all kinds of swag and such - but he also got interviewed by the news about the election. So, somewhere out there is an interview of an American in a Popeyes baseball jersey discussing his thoughts on the UK election. Gonna see if we can find it. He was quite pleased with the results, and may have said “fuck Farage.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 2

I quietly am optimistic about November.  The number of Trump endorsees that are losing does not gibe with his supposed popularity.   This isn't being pointed out enough.  

In Utah, Republican Rep. John Curtis — who has been critical of Trump — beat out Trump's chosen candidate Trent Staggs to take over Mitt Romney's open Senate seat. Staggs lost to Curtis by 20 points, according to projected race calls from the Associated Press, compiled by The New York Times.
In South Carolina, a similar situation occurred: ultra-conservative pastor Mark Burns, who Trump endorsed on Truth Social in April, lost his House runoff race to Republican Sherri Biggs.

And in Colorado, House hopeful and state GOP Chair Dave Williams, who the former president endorsed on Truth Social in March, got smoked by his rival, conservative commentator Jeff Crank — losing by 30 points, according to the Times.

The three losses are just the second, third, and fourth time that a Trump favorite has lost their race for a federal position this election cycle, Politico reported. The first instance happened earlier in June when Trump-endorsed New Jersey Senate candidate Christine Serrano Glassner lost by 7 points to real estate developer Curtis Bashaw, according to the Times.

There's two other candidates who might get added to Trump's list of failures.

The race for Utah's second congressional district is still too close to call, with Trump-backed incumbent Rep. Celeste Maloy leading by just 3 points. And Virginia's Republican primary is also still too close to call, with Trump pick John McGuire less than one point ahead of his challenger. That race may result in a recount, MSNBC reported.

Trump-backed congressional candidates suffered rare losses in Tuesday's primary elections (msn.com)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So labour has what 5 years, at a minimum in power? There is still a nasty element in the UK for too many voting for farage’s candidates. He basically split the Tory vote which created this result. that is the biggest takeaway to me.

im curious if the Tory leaders will hold firm to their ideals or effectively merge back with farage in the upcoming years. My guess is that they will be politicians and give farage more power. 

A maximum of five years in power.  The PM can ask the King to dissolve Parliament and call a General Election at any time.  But he must do so not more than five years from the beginning of this Parliament (which will open with the King's Speech on July 17).

I have some takeaways, but first a few highlights:

1) Jacob Rees-Mogg had to stand there on stage next to an anthropomorphic corn on the cob to hear that he had lost his seat.  That that wasn't all--his loss provided Labour with its 326th seat, officially making Labour the majority party in Parliament.  The staging, the timing--it was all so perfect for a man who is as responsible as anyone for the collapse of the Conservative Party.  Rees-Mogg actively developed and nurtured the racist populist fringe that became Reform UK, thinking that he could domesticate it and keep it as a pet.  But as we have seen in the United States, the leopard always eats their faces.  And so it was with Rees-Mogg.

2) A huge number of Tories looked shellshocked, as though they genuinely didn't expect this outcome.  And that amazes me.  The polls have been predicting this for months.  And I don't even think you needed a poll to sense the mood of the electorate.  

3) But through their shellshock, they were remarkably candid.  Tories honestly called it a "disaster," a "catastrophe," and a "bloodbath."  But absolutely none of them called it "rigged."  There is a deep consensus in the UK as to the constitutional democratic structure that seems to be lacking in the United States.  And it's quite alarming and distressing when you see it lain quite so bare.

So a few additional take-aways:

1) I don't know what the Conservative Party is today.  Twenty years ago, it was the party of both Archie Leach and his racist father in Kingston-on-Hull (people think Archie came from money, but really he only married into it).  But yesterday, Archie's dad voted Reform UK.  And Archie is now living in Rio with that American lass with the great tits.  So who is voting Conservative these days?

I think the answer is "not very many people."  

The Tories, I fear, are going to take the lessons that the Republican Party took from 2012 and decide that they need to consolidate around a base of racist, xenophobic, anti-capitalistic, and populist voters.  If they do that, it will be an even smaller party.  But people like Suella Braverman will be safe, and that's frequently the consideration that trumps all others.

2) The people of Clacton are functionally not going to have any representation in Parliament.  Nigel Farange made that pretty clear in his victory speech.  He has no ability to or interest in actually holding office.  He's only interested in campaigning for the next election.  And for a down-and-out town like Clacton, that's the last thing it needs.

3) The cause of Scottish independence looks to be pretty much cooked, at least for now.  SNP with only 9 seats is a disaster for that party.

I guess I'm a little surprised that Brexit didn't immediately bring about Scottish independence with an eye toward rejoining the EU.  But the problem is that when you get into government, as the SNP is at Holyrood, you have to actually govern.  And the SNP hasn't been very good at it.  It's really the same disease that infected the Tories with the Brexit vote.  Great--you won.  Now actually govern.  And they couldn't.

4) Which brings us to Labour.  What the fuck is that party?  It legit had no real policy positions in its manifesto to distinguish it from the Conservatives.  And as has been rehashed, the Conservative policy decisions have led the UK to an absolutely abysmal economic (and, it must be said, cultural) state.  So Labour has a sweeping mandate, but to do what?

The new Chancellor is going to have a real challenge.  The British economy is stagnating.  But government expenditures desperately need to go up.  The American solution is debt.  And, in all honesty--the evidence reflects that it's not a bad solution.  But damn, the UK's debt is already around 90% of GDP.  But the United States is around 125%, so fuck it--why not?

• Hook 'Em 5

@Ghost of LL thanks for the correction of minimum vs maximum. my bad.

I see that Farage is thrilled that Labour now owns the mess that the Conservative party + Farage made. Farage can stand to the side and falsely claim that none of his ideals led to the current economic catastrophe, which is a lie.

But he will be willing to give up ~5 years of conservative rule to work to consolidate the conservative vote to him. Reform UK (Farage) and Conservative together still outperformed Labour in total votes. Yesterday was a rejection of the current Conservative party not the movement itself. Not to mention that the center party, Liberal Democrats, did well as well.

59 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

1) Jacob Rees-Mogg had to stand there on stage next to an anthropomorphic corn on the cob to hear that he had lost his seat.  That that wasn't all--his loss provided Labour with its 326th seat, officially making Labour the majority party in Parliament.  The staging, the timing--it was all so perfect for a man who is as responsible as anyone for the collapse of the Conservative Party.  Rees-Mogg actively developed and nurtured the racist populist fringe that became Reform UK, thinking that he could domesticate it and keep it as a pet.  But as we have seen in the United States, the leopard always eats their faces.  And so it was with Rees-Mogg.

baked bean balaclava

449356108_3652662768327517_6160523033172

• Haha 7

Labour gets a second chance after Blair’s disastrous neoliberal/New Labour/Third Way/Thatcher-lite policies. Austerity is murder, especially when it is “austerity for thee and not for me.” 

Here’s hoping Starmer restores dignity to the common people of the British Isles. Perhaps Starmer can be an inspiration to our politicians as they attempt to resist the dismal tide of far right authoritarianism sweeping the globe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

A maximum of five years in power.  The PM can ask the King to dissolve Parliament and call a General Election at any time.  But he must do so not more than five years from the beginning of this Parliament (which will open with the King's Speech on July 17).

I have some takeaways, but first a few highlights:

2) A huge number of Tories looked shellshocked, as though they genuinely didn't expect this outcome.  And that amazes me.  The polls have been predicting this for months.  And I don't even think you needed a poll to sense the mood of the electorate.  

3) But through their shellshock, they were remarkably candid.  Tories honestly called it a "disaster," a "catastrophe," and a "bloodbath."  But absolutely none of them called it "rigged."  There is a deep consensus in the UK as to the constitutional democratic structure that seems to be lacking in the United States.  And it's quite alarming and distressing when you see it lain quite so bare.

So a few additional take-aways:

1) I don't know what the Conservative Party is today.  Twenty years ago, it was the party of both Archie Leach and his racist father in Kingston-on-Hull (people think Archie came from money, but really he only married into it).  But yesterday, Archie's dad voted Reform UK.  And Archie is now living in Rio with that American lass with the great tits.  So who is voting Conservative these days?

I think the answer is "not very many people."  

The Tories, I fear, are going to take the lessons that the Republican Party took from 2012 and decide that they need to consolidate around a base of racist, xenophobic, anti-capitalistic, and populist voters.  If they do that, it will be an even smaller party.  But people like Suella Braverman will be safe, and that's frequently the consideration that trumps all others.

2) The people of Clacton are functionally not going to have any representation in Parliament.  Nigel Farange made that pretty clear in his victory speech.  He has no ability to or interest in actually holding office.  He's only interested in campaigning for the next election.  And for a down-and-out town like Clacton, that's the last thing it needs.

3) The cause of Scottish independence looks to be pretty much cooked, at least for now.  SNP with only 9 seats is a disaster for that party.

I guess I'm a little surprised that Brexit didn't immediately bring about Scottish independence with an eye toward rejoining the EU.  But the problem is that when you get into government, as the SNP is at Holyrood, you have to actually govern.  And the SNP hasn't been very good at it.  It's really the same disease that infected the Tories with the Brexit vote.  Great--you won.  Now actually govern.  And they couldn't.

4) Which brings us to Labour.  What the fuck is that party?  It legit had no real policy positions in its manifesto to distinguish it from the Conservatives.  And as has been rehashed, the Conservative policy decisions have led the UK to an absolutely abysmal economic (and, it must be said, cultural) state.  So Labour has a sweeping mandate, but to do what?

The new Chancellor is going to have a real challenge.  The British economy is stagnating.  But government expenditures desperately need to go up.  The American solution is debt.  And, in all honesty--the evidence reflects that it's not a bad solution.  But damn, the UK's debt is already around 90% of GDP.  But the United States is around 125%, so fuck it--why not?

Labour and Tories seem aligned in foreign policy: they’re both pro-NATO, pro-Ukraine, and pro-Israel.

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Such fucking stupid BS that the transition to a new government from the time the polls closed is like 15 hours and for us, it’s 2.5 months. If Biden is sworn in on November 8, 2020, no insurrection attempt would have had time to foment 

It takes more time for an American to supervise the harvest on his lands, then proceed by coach along roads that may be rendered impassible by rains.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There’s a whole story here - the boy camped out at the grand opening of the first Popeyes in central Glasgow, and got all kinds of swag and such - but he also got interviewed by the news about the election. So, somewhere out there is an interview of an American in a Popeyes baseball jersey discussing his thoughts on the UK election. Gonna see if we can find it. He was quite pleased with the results, and may have said “fuck Farage.”

Ah luv thet checken frum Popeyes.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Lmfao. Pitchbot is useless when the NYT has become such a meme on its own 

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/05/world/europe/uk-election-labour-landslide.html

Labour Won a U.K. Landslide. Why Doesn’t It Feel Like That?

Conservatives did almost as bad as the Spanish Armada and this is the headline.  

Apollo 11 lands on the moon, and it's bad news for Kennedy's legacy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1