2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, it's totally standard NL baseball to pitch to the pitcher instead of to a hitter with 2 outs.

This is a little old now but the first relevant google hit:

I used data from 2010-2014, and looked at how eighth hitters hit in the sixth inning or earlier, two outs, a runner in scoring position, and the game within three runs either way. (I also made sure that the pitcher’s spot hadn’t been previously double-switched out.) In these situations, the eighth hitter was intentionally walked 36.8 percent of the time. When he was pitched to (taking away those IBBs), he walked 11.8 percent of the time, which is a really high number. In similar situations, but where the bases are empty, the eight-spot hitter hitting in front of the pitcher walks a mere 6.9 percent of the time. 

With his stuff looking good, 3 Ks through the first 5 outs, I would have pitched to him.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

This is a little old now but the first relevant google hit:

With his stuff looking good, 3 Ks through the first 5 outs, I would have pitched to him.

Regular season vs playoffs in my opinion. With lower stakes I’d pitch to the guy. With everyone gripping over every run, take the freebie. 
you aren’t wrong I just don’t like taking the chance. It will certainly make the 3rd inning harder as a punishment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Regular season vs playoffs in my opinion. With lower stakes I’d pitch to the guy. With everyone gripping over every run, take the freebie. 
you aren’t wrong I just don’t like taking the chance. It will certainly make the 3rd inning harder as a punishment. 

Exactly.  You just don't take a chance on making a mistake to Swanson and being down 2-zip.

But, we can hash this out during the off-season, like Monday night.

• Haha 1

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

Has this guy thrown his changeup for a strike yet tonight?  Seems like every one of them bounces three feet in the plate.  Too bad we swing at half of them.

The only thing he's throwing for strikes consistently is his fastball.  Everyone should be sitting on it and taking everything else.

Second time through the lineup ought to be really rough on him the way he's going.