DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Shut up, you treasonous cunt.  This is exactly who they were when you decided to go all-in with them many moons ago.  You don't get to bitch about it now.

But she’s wearing a sombrero now!  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Sorry Latino voters, if you’re dumb enough to vote for it, don’t start crying when you’re rounded up regardless of your legal status or being born here. “But he was supposed to round up the other ones, not me”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Sorry Latino voters, if you’re dumb enough to vote for it, don’t start crying when you’re rounded up regardless of your legal status or being born here. “But he was supposed to round up the other ones, not me”

This sentiment sucks.

Dont get me wrong, I get it, but still.

Edited by hobbes2702

I can only imagine the cognitive conflicts going through one of my classmates mind. Very wealthy Latino entrepreneur from Edinburgh that told me he supports Abbott’s bussing programs but at the same time he also volunteers at local nonprofits that helping these migrants. Guy is proud of the valley going purple. I get the Democrats were corrupt in that area but  supporting Maga types confuses me. 

34 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This sentiment sucks.

Dont get me wrong, I get it, but still.

Sad thing is that it happened already. People who voted Trump who were married to immigrants who were shocked some of them were put into deportation proceedings. “But he wasn’t supposed to go after people like my spouse!”

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/04/05/us/undocumented-husband-deported/index.html

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Nevermind the hate part of it, but the logistics alone make this such a silly threat. 

This might be the one thing Stephen Miller has a legit plan to do

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

stephen miller has it all worked out. im sure he’ll issue orders, round them up - dead or alive

He’s had 4 years to figure it out. I believe it

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, YChang said:

I can only imagine the cognitive conflicts going through one of my classmates mind. Very wealthy Latino entrepreneur from Edinburgh that told me he supports Abbott’s bussing programs but at the same time he also volunteers at local nonprofits that helping these migrants. Guy is proud of the valley going purple. I get the Democrats were corrupt in that area but  supporting Maga types confuses me. 

The bussing encourages more illegal immigration, tell him that

Give the national guard power to be immigration officers. Order them to go back to their communities and round up people they suspect. Use local sheriffs, they know their counties. Target everyone that over stayed visas …

Someone post the article from the atlantic

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 2/10/2024 at 12:22 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Nevermind the hate part of it, but the logistics alone make this such a silly threat. 

The impossible logistics of deporting millions of Jews from Germany are a large part of the reason why the Holocaust happened. So I wouldn't describe the threat as "silly." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TX National Guard getting in on the backing of fascism at the border

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2024/03/01/guard-officials-probing-texas-generals-appearance-at-trump-rally/

The fuck fuck games are going to be around "well state guard members aren't subject to FEDERAL rules!!!" as states continue to assert their """states rights""" to be as hateful and cruel as possible

25 minutes ago, Captainant said:

TX National Guard getting in on the backing of fascism at the border

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2024/03/01/guard-officials-probing-texas-generals-appearance-at-trump-rally/

The fuck fuck games are going to be around "well state guard members aren't subject to FEDERAL rules!!!" as states continue to assert their """states rights""" to be as hateful and cruel as possible

National Guard Bureau officials confirmed Friday they have received multiple queries on Suelzer’s appearance with Trump and are reviewing the incident. Air Force officials referred all questions to the Texas Military Department, which has not issued any public statements on the matter and did not return requests for comment.

Yes, I'm sure they'll get right on disciplining him.

Latino friend from HS complaining about being stopped and harassed by local law enforcement in the panhandle. Told him he needed to be out of town before the sun was down.

I asked him how he thought that deputy votes.

His response: "Probably the same way I do."
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Over/under on how many days till deputy Cletus somewhere in Texas arrests someone for "looking insufficiently American, you know what I mean," and the 42 USC Sec 1983 lawsuit gets filed?

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Over/under on how many days till deputy Cletus somewhere in Texas arrests someone for "looking insufficiently American, you know what I mean," and the 42 USC Sec 1983 lawsuit gets filed?

Aw shucks deputy Cletus didn't know it was clearly established law not to do stasi in the US

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, chainsaw said:

Aw shucks deputy Cletus didn't know it was clearly established law not to do stasi in the US

Bingo.  Any such case will go to the Fifth Circuit.  Which has never met a "well, that EXACT scenario isn't clearly established -- the car he pulled over was a BLUE 2013 Camry....while there was another case very, very similar, identical in every other respect, the Camry in that case was white (it was also a 2012, but we need not reach that point of distinction in order to support our holding)" exception...with respect to law enforcement shitting on minorities....that it didn't LOVE.

• 2 weeks later...

What’s the real story behind this Hagerty bill banning federal money to be used to fly illegal immigrants to the US? The right wing propaganda machine is making a big deal out of all Democrats voting against it last Friday. 

Hundreds of social media users quickly disputed Maddock’s post on Wednesday, but Maddock refused to concede.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/politics/fact-check-matt-maddock-invaders-gonzaga-madness-detroit/index.html

Facts First: Maddock’s claim is false. The buses were not for “illegal invaders”; they were for the men’s college basketball teams that landed at the Detroit airport to compete in the NCAA tournament known as March Madness. The only Allegiant Air flight to the airport on Wednesday was a charter flight that carried the team from Gonzaga University, which plays Purdue University on Friday.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

In the 5 months since that post, Mexico has picked up their own enforcement and US numbers have dropped, Trump ordered Republicans not to pass bipartisan legislation, and now the old cooterbob is blowing the dust off our nation’s fastball for immigration spikes.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Fuck denying asylum. Period.

Well, asylum as a legal status DOES have standards.  And it should.  That also means that it should be promptly and fairly applied.  Having people wait around for years for a determination isn't good for anyone.  Being bullshit and draconian in applying the standards isn't good, either.  E.g., I think that plenty of people coming here from Central America likely have good asylum claims because they legitimately fear for their lives due to complex political reasons.  But it shouldn't just be a magic word that anyone says and automatically gets legal status: "I said 'asylum!'  I get to stay!"  There is a measured and sane approach to this.

I mean, nobody is actually interested in that, because "measured and sane" causes a fucking allergic reaction in 98% of the American public, but fuck it, thought I'd type it out anyway.

• Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, asylum as a legal status DOES have standards.  And it should.  That also means that it should be promptly and fairly applied.  Having people wait around for years for a determination isn't good for anyone.  Being bullshit and draconian in applying the standards isn't good, either.  E.g., I think that plenty of people coming here from Central America likely have good asylum claims because they legitimately fear for their lives due to complex political reasons.  But it shouldn't just be a magic word that anyone says and automatically gets legal status: "I said 'asylum!'  I get to stay!"  There is a measured and sane approach to this.

I mean, nobody is actually interested in that, because "measured and sane" causes a fucking allergic reaction in 98% of the American public, but fuck it, thought I'd type it out anyway.

The measured response is not to tell them we are at our limit. If they claim asylum they should stay and we should start the process of reviewing that claim.  We shouldn’t set any arbitrary limits on the ability to claim asylum. 
I know you’re not saying that we should either. I just find it ridiculous like we are going to be like “oh you’re fleeing a murderous regime… sorry, you better try again tomorrow”

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 5

42 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The measured response is not to tell them we are at our limit. If they claim asylum they should stay and we should start the process of reviewing that claim.  We shouldn’t set any arbitrary limits on the ability to claim asylum. 
I know you’re not saying that we should either. I just find it ridiculous like we are going to be like “oh you’re fleeing a murderous regime… sorry, you better try again tomorrow”

To be somewhat fair, the US has negotiated for Mexico to accept up to 30,000 per month from Cuba, Haiti, Venezuela, and Nicaragua, which is better than shipping them back to their originating countries. I'm sure they'd prefer making it into the US (I would), but there is the serious issue of where to place the masses who are coming.

Even under this proposal, the US would be processing 118,000 claimants per month at a minimum (2,500 a day at the border plus 1,450 appointments through the app), which doesn't include exemptions for "humanitarian reasons, including victims of human trafficking, unaccompanied minors and those with severe medical emergencies."

There's also the issue of Republicans rejecting the bill several months ago, which would've provided additional resources to process claims, which is what's sorely needed. At the end of the day, I don't like it, but I understand the awful political reality of it in election season. I don't agree, though, that this is merely a political stunt.

The only long-term solution is comprehensive immigration reform, which the GOP has been blocking for more than a decade, along with economic and political reforms in countries from which economic migrants and asylum seekers are fleeing.

How it's supposed to work:

Once this order is in effect, migrants who arrive at the border but do not express fear of returning to their home countries will be subject to immediate removal from the United States, within a matter of days or even hours. Those migrants could face punishments that could include a five-year bar from reentering the U.S. or even criminal prosecution.

Meanwhile, anyone who expresses that fear or an intention to seek asylum will be screened by a U.S. asylum officer but at a higher standard than currently used. If they pass the screening, they can pursue more limited forms of humanitarian protection, including the U.N. Convention Against Torture.

Biden’s directive is coming when the number of migrants encountered at the border have been on a consistent decline since December, but senior administration officials say the numbers are still too high and could spike in better weather, as is typical.

Yet many questions and complications remain about how Biden’s directive would be implemented.

For instance, the administration already has an agreement with Mexico in which Mexico agrees to accept up to 30,000 citizens a month from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela once they are denied entry from the U.S., and senior administration officials say that will continue under this order. But it is unclear what happens to nationals of other countries who are denied under Biden’s directive.

Four senior administration officials, who insisted on anonymity to describe the effort to reporters, acknowledged that Biden’s goal of deporting migrants quickly is complicated by insufficient funding from Congress to do so. The administration also faces certain legal constraints when it comes to detaining migrant families, and the administration said it would continue to abide by those obligations.

Biden’s order outlines several groups of migrants who would be exempted due to humanitarian reasons, including victims of human trafficking, unaccompanied minors and those with severe medical emergencies.

The directive would also exempt migrants who make appointments with border officials at ports of entry using the CBP One app. About 1,450 appointments are made a day using the app, which launched last year to allow migrants to make asylum claims.

Immigration advocates worry that Biden’s plan would only increase an already monthslong backlog of migrants waiting for an appointment through the app, especially when immigration authorities do not have an accompanying surge of funding.

It could also be difficult for border officials to quickly remove migrants when many agents are already tasked with helping in shelters and other humanitarian tasks, said Jennie Murray, the president of the National Immigration Forum.

“Customs and Border Protection cannot keep up with apprehensions as it is right now because they don’t have enough personnel so it would cause more disorder,” she said.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Immigration advocates worry that Biden’s plan would only increase an already monthslong backlog of migrants waiting for an appointment through the app, especially when immigration authorities do not have an accompanying surge of funding.

It could also be difficult for border officials to quickly remove migrants when many agents are already tasked with helping in shelters and other humanitarian tasks, said Jennie Murray, the president of the National Immigration Forum.

“Customs and Border Protection cannot keep up with apprehensions as it is right now because they don’t have enough personnel so it would cause more disorder,” she said.

So yet again, republicans could have actually helped solve something, but instead, torpedoed it and now Dems (specifically Biden in this case) are left to try and do something, anything, to actually govern. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1