Your cat is awesome. Damn straight

GhostOfTomJoad

18 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Look... we all know that this thread is and will always remain undefeated.  I was just making a general observation about the contrast between the dog and cat factions on the board.  My interpretation is this... Dog people (of which I am one) are more in-your-face and attention seeking, and cat folks are cool to just hang around in their own space while not bothering anyone and not being bothered.  

valid.

Dog person is a loaded term I think.  Most times a "dog person" is a person that just prefers dogs or has no particular animus towards cats and in general is an animal lover and cats are just not their bag. 

Other times a "dog person" delights is talking about murdering feral cats, having their dogs murder cats, or just generally trying demean someone's choice of domestic animal companion.  Then you've got the masculine/feminine implications that come along with the discussion, which is also childish but expected from a certain section of jugheaded motherfuckers.  These are the people that can get fucked dry by a cane corso.

And yes, you will never see a "cat person" in the dog thread shitting all over anyone's choice of pet, or even critiquing it really.  With the pitbull thread being the exception I suppose.

So yes your logic is sound.  You are more like to encounter an "asshole" dog person, than an "asshole" cat person IMO.  

Edited by hookemATL
and my post makes this a THREE-PAGE thread so...yeah...
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

the grey one? 

He is a Scottish fold. 

my first cat. Will be 3 in February. 

he spoiled. And addicted to them temptation treats. 

if I can’t find him around the house. Just shake a bag of treats and he comes running. Regardless of the time of day. 

he’d be dead asleep and boom wide awake with one shake. 

IMG_6053.png

IMG_6051.png

Your Scottish fold is a beauty as well, but I was asking about the new kitten.  :)

4 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I'm not here to yuck anyone's yum.  If you love cats, that's great.  I just find it fascinating that there is a 6-yr-old thread (dating back to the great migration from the Shag) about the awesomeness of dogs with 187 pages, and there is a 3-yr-old thread about the awesomeness of cats that has - checks notes- two whole pages.

Dogs are great. Cats are pretty cool even. I have neither at the moment.

However, I would love to start a therapeutic "Dog Owners Suck" thread.  I'm sure I'd be crowd-surlied pretty quickly.

It's only maybe 10% of dog owners but holy shit do they give all dog-obsessed people a bad name.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Dogs are great. Cats are pretty cool even. I have neither at the moment.

However, I would love to start a therapeutic "Dog Owners Suck" thread.  I'm sure I'd be crowd-surlied pretty quickly.

It's only maybe 10% of dog owners but holy shit do they give all dog-obsessed people a bad name.

I’m as big of a dog person as you will find and you won’t get an argument out of me that there are some really shitty dog owners out there although I would put the number south of 10%. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

I’m as big of a dog person as you will find and you won’t get an argument out of me that there are some really shitty dog owners out there although I would put the number south of 10%. 

Yeah I may just have bad luck on who I have lived around.

Multiple neighbors have been full-fledged "my dog can do no wrong, including barking at everything or leaping on you oh-ha-ha-ha-ha 'isn't he so cute?"  Nope. He ain't.

Anyway, thread-hijack completed. Thank you for that. I feel better now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

I want to believe this but the insane amount of loose dog shits I see scattered all over/around the sidewalk gives me pause. 

this sets aside the absolute pieces of shit that get a dog then tie it up outside and never give it affection or a place in the home (working farm dogs being an exception sometimes). Or the owners of aggressive dogs who make no effort to train their animal, and put others at risk.

people that don’t take pet ownership seriously need a beating and their animals taken away from them. And if you truly abuse an animal, I’d gladly oblige you with a fucking tire iron to the dome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Other times a "dog person" delights is talking about murdering feral cats

Feral anything can be a problem.  Feral cats can decimate ground-nesting birds and small animals.  Not great, but not the end of world. We had a herd of feral barn-cats that were cool as hell until the coyotes found them.  Gone overnight.  More than a dozen of various sizes.  Sucked.  I had one that always liked to ride on the hay-bales in the wheelbarrow.  Every day.

Feral dogs on the other hand, which are pack animals, can and do go after livestock.  Every rancher I've ever been around will put feral dogs down with EXTREME prejudice once it is determined that they are in fact wild.  

17 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

people that don’t take pet ownership seriously need a beating and their animals taken away from them. And if you truly abuse an animal, I’d gladly oblige you with a fucking tire iron to the dome. 

This.  

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Oh, I'd put it MUCH higher.  The difference is the breeds are so pussified that "bad" dogs can't do much other than bark and chew on shit in the owners house.  Most dogs are socialized, but not much more than that.  Almost every dog owner I know, if their dog got off it's leash......gone.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Truth.

It’s so very lazy and dumb because dogs are pretty smart and respond well to structure and training. I had our puppy potty trained, leash trained, off leash recall trained all within the first two months. It’s an extreme disservice to the animal to not even make the effort. 

there’s this decrepit old twat in our neighborhood that has a small yappy dog that cannot keep itself from aggressively barking and pulling on its leash to go after passersby and other dogs. She often walks it at night which is when I take the evening stroll with my 80lb mastiff mix. Without exception I take a detour off the sidewalk so the little psycho doesn’t have a conniption, slip out of its leash/old lady’s arms, and end up with its head caved it OR violently reprimanded by my larger/smarter/BETTER dog.

maybe she’ll have a stroke and the dog can get a real owner to teach it the basics. 

• Haha 1

Dog talk in the cat thread not going away.   

I think off-leash training has become more difficult for many due to leash laws in most cities.  If you're walking your dog off leash in an urban or suburban environment, regardless of how well trained, you're an entitled asshole.  There's always a handful in every neighborhood.  They all think their dog is special and that they train them better than everyone else.  They're always wrong.   The downside of the leash laws is that most dogs now don't know how to respond well when they accidentally get loose.   We have taken our dogs to designated off-leash areas to work on that training, and that has worked well.

In defense of (some) dogs that aggressively bark while on the leash, it most often happens after they have been attacked.  Their fight or flight response is kicking in when they sense another dog that is a threat to them, and they can't run because they're on a leash - so fight it is.   Our current dog (no small yapper, but not huge - 40 lbs) never barked aggressively at another dog on walks or any other situation until he was four years old and a dumbass neighbor let his pit bull get loose, and it attacked my dog.  Now any dog he deems even a mild threat gets the full blown "I'm a crazy mother fucker and you do NOT want to mess with me" treatment.  It sucks and I feel bad for the folks with the other dogs as they don't know the how or why of it.  Training it out of him has been a major chore, but we're working on it. 

Back to cats - has anyone seen the latest trending XL Bully cats?  Holy shit.

spacer.png

On 10/22/2024 at 8:21 AM, hobbes2702 said:

So Jack got out one day for about an hour and ever since Hobbes tries to murder him (literally) if they are in the same room. 
We’ve had to keep one of them locked in the bedroom and we switch them once a week. We’ve tried scent sprays, we’ve tried feeding them on opposite sides of the door so they can smell each other, etc. Nothing seems to work. They never had any issues other than some regular cat fights but nothing like this. Hobbes turns into a full blown rage monster and you have to wrap him in a towel to keep him from attacking you when he gets into Jack attack mode.
Any ideas?

We had that happen with 2 cats we had almost 20 years ago.  They were total buds, grew up together, and then one day they were at each other like they wanted to murder each other.  It was the weirdest thing.  We tried everything.  Ultimately we sadly had to give one away.  Found a good home for here, but it sucked.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Grew up on a farm.  Had one dog and 2-4 cats depending on the weather.  Dog was some kinda collie that whined if we didn’t let her sleep in the basement.  Cats slept in the barn at night and spent all day killing vermin.  They never ate thr food we put out for them, as apparently fresh mouse tastes better.

Team Cat over here.  No contest.

4 hours ago, royiv said:

You better have a walking stick or be Stevie fucking Wonder if you have your dog in a grocery store. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Your Scottish fold is a beauty as well, but I was asking about the new kitten.  :)

Oooo. TY

i had 3 

grey- Scottish fold

white - British longhair 

red - British short hair 

Had to re-house the red one :(

Got her as a rescue from Ukraine war. And she was a big B I T C H

cute as a button, but to much work. 
pooping peeing all over. Hides bites  a lot of work we didn’t want, and I had a newborn about to start crawling. So had to say bye :(

IMG_6057.png

IMG_7100.jpeg

IMG_0317.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg

IMG_3650.jpeg

IMG_2317.jpeg

IMG_4545.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

You better have a walking stick or be Stevie fucking Wonder if you have your dog in a grocery store. 

Fuck those people.  I'm a dog guy, I guess, but there's a special place in hell for the people who take dogs into grocery stores who don't absolutely need to. 

All of our cats have always been rescues.

Currently have three cats.  One is a Siamese/Snowshoe mix... long-haired cat.  Great personality.  She's our third Siamese mix which, honestly, I think are the best cats.  Great personalities.

image.thumb.png.d2248637af147515756d03fa055199b5.png

Then we have our two new interns... sibling rescues.  One is a Siamese mix, the other is a Tuxedo.  Great cats.  Different personalities but both super friendly with people as is the Snowshoe.

image.thumb.png.330d5b8d394e8670b779436be2895502.png

...and then we have our neighbor's cat who pretty much hangs out in our backyard.  Keeps it snake and mouse free.  Hadn't seen a mouse in at least a year or two until the other day... and it was cowering from the cat.

image.png.90930a9d46fba32c3075b24bcdc81df0.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1