Southwest or every other airline in the history of the world?

closetohumping

Southwest or Every other airline in the history of the world  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Speaking of polls, I had sex with South_Austin's mom

• Southwest boarding sucks
    • Love Southwest boarding practices

19 hours ago, PilotsError said:

The entire airline industry fucked up way back when by not making planes with two exits, front and back, and not designing airports around that.

Well I don't think we need Boeing adding another door to the plane.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

But that's 5 fewer planes they can deboard at the same time, so no.

SWA does it by deplaning down stairs in the back and then you walk a coned-off route on the tarmac to the terminal.  You end up at the same gate as the folks deplaning from the front.  Burbank always does it, Long Beach and Sacramento sometimes do it.  Depends on the staffing at the station at the time.  They don’t board that way though, just deplaning.  

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Well I don't think we need Boeing adding another door to the plane.

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

SWA does it by deplaning down stairs in the back and then you walk a coned-off route on the tarmac to the terminal.  You end up at the same gate as the folks deplaning from the front.  Burbank always does it, Long Beach and Sacramento sometimes do it.  Depends on the staffing at the station at the time.  They don’t board that way though, just deplaning.  

ONT did it back in the old days.

18 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

LBC doesn't have jetways so everyone walks on the apron, iirc.

• Like 1

Remembered many airports support 3 jetbridges for the a380. One upstairs, two downstairs. Of course it isn't so much to board quicker as it is to keep riffraff away from the hoi polloi.
Fly the DFW-LHR/LHR-DFW 380 route monthly, and upper deck boarding is so much easier than the cattle cart downstairs.

Southwest Airlines flight to Hawaiian island plunges, comes within 400 feet of Pacific Ocean

A Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft came within 400 feet of slamming into the Pacific Ocean off the coast of the Hawaiian island of Kauai after weather conditions forced pilots to swiftly change course. 

A Southwest Airlines memo to pilots, obtained by Bloomberg News, detailed Southwest Flight 2786 from the April 11 flight from Honolulu International Airport to Lihue Airport in Kauai.

Passengers were left white-knuckled after the aircraft dropped from nearly 16,000 feet to an altitude of 409 feet.

According to the Southwest memo, the incident occurred following an aborted landing attempt due to bad weather that blocked pilots from seeing the runway at the specified altitude.

The memo noted that the captain opted to put the "newer" first officer in command of the 100-mile interisland flight, despite the pending weather.

The less-experienced first officer "inadvertently" pushed forward on the control column, which controls the plane's pitch and roll, then cut the speed, causing the airplane to rapidly descend. 

The pilot's aggressive movement prompted the warning system to sound the alarm that the passenger aircraft was getting too close to the terrain.

The memo said that the captain ordered the first officer to increase thrust – prompting the aircraft to "climb aggressively" at 8,500 feet per minute.

The interisland flight, which should have been approximately 22 minutes long, departed Honolulu at 6:45 p.m., but following the incident, the plane returned to Honolulu at 8:09 p.m.

No one was injured during the hair-raising ride.

In a statement to Fox News Digital, a Southwest Airlines spokesperson said that "the event was addressed appropriately."

"Nothing is more important to Southwest than safety," the spokesperson said. "Through our robust Safety Management System, the event was addressed appropriately as we always strive for continuous improvement." 

The Federal Aviation Administration told Fox News Digital that it is "investigating the incident."

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Southwest Airlines flight to Hawaiian island plunges, comes within 400 feet of Pacific Ocean

A Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft came within 400 feet of slamming into the Pacific Ocean off the coast of the Hawaiian island of Kauai after weather conditions forced pilots to swiftly change course. 

A Southwest Airlines memo to pilots, obtained by Bloomberg News, detailed Southwest Flight 2786 from the April 11 flight from Honolulu International Airport to Lihue Airport in Kauai.

Passengers were left white-knuckled after the aircraft dropped from nearly 16,000 feet to an altitude of 409 feet.

According to the Southwest memo, the incident occurred following an aborted landing attempt due to bad weather that blocked pilots from seeing the runway at the specified altitude.

The memo noted that the captain opted to put the "newer" first officer in command of the 100-mile interisland flight, despite the pending weather.

The less-experienced first officer "inadvertently" pushed forward on the control column, which controls the plane's pitch and roll, then cut the speed, causing the airplane to rapidly descend. 

The pilot's aggressive movement prompted the warning system to sound the alarm that the passenger aircraft was getting too close to the terrain.

The memo said that the captain ordered the first officer to increase thrust – prompting the aircraft to "climb aggressively" at 8,500 feet per minute.

The interisland flight, which should have been approximately 22 minutes long, departed Honolulu at 6:45 p.m., but following the incident, the plane returned to Honolulu at 8:09 p.m.

In a statement to Fox News Digital, a Southwest Airlines spokesperson said that "the event was addressed appropriately."

"Nothing is more important to Southwest than safety," the spokesperson said. "Through our robust Safety Management System, the event was addressed appropriately as we always strive for continuous improvement." 

The Federal Aviation Administration told Fox News Digital that it is "investigating the incident."

ana gasteyer shit my pants GIF by Team Coco

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

What.  The.  Fuck?
Isn’t that like basic pilot 101 stuff?

Sorry, “don’t smack the plane into the ground” is a graduate level course these days. It’s taught in parallel with the aerospace engineering course called “design and build planes that don’t fall apart in mid air.” Pretty advanced stuff.

17 hours ago, RPM said:

Im Not No Way GIF

On a Southwest flight this afternoon and as we're boarding, the flight attendants are telling us that the flight is not even half-full, so everyone will have plenty of room. I grab the window seat in the first empty row I see. One row in front of me are two quite attractive young ladies. The last guy to board is a rather obese, middle-aged man (not sure what his surly handle is) and he plops himself down right in between these two women. The women try to tell him that there are plenty of seats on the plane and they don't have to have three in a row, but he tells them he's cool with the middle seat. The woman in the window seat finally gets up angry as hell and sits in the aisle seat next to me.

I'm not exactly sure how this guy saw the whole scenario playing out in his head, but as Michael Scott once said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

19 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

On a Southwest flight this afternoon and as we're boarding, the flight attendants are telling us that the flight is not even half-full, so everyone will have plenty of room. I grab the window seat in the first empty row I see. One row in front of me are two quite attractive young ladies. The last guy to board is a rather obese, middle-aged man (not sure what his surly handle is) and he plops himself down right in between these two women. The women try to tell him that there are plenty of seats on the plane and they don't have to have three in a row, but he tells them he's cool with the middle seat. The woman in the window seat finally gets up angry as hell and sits in the aisle seat next to me.

I'm not exactly sure how this guy saw the whole scenario playing out in his head, but as Michael Scott once said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

so did you cum or what?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Pics are not loading for some reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/18/2024 at 7:35 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Don't hate the playa

image.png.28cd23eca04e68011f99b134a7abdc0f.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Based on what's been happening lately, he was probably planning on whipping it out and wanking

Good Lord:

A Boeing 737 aircraft suddenly plummeted to less than 500 feet off the ground over Oklahoma, terrifying residents who feared the jet was going to crash.

Southwest Airlines Flight 4069 was nine miles away from Will Rogers World Airport just after midnight on Wednesday when records show the 737 dived to between 400 and 500 feet as it flew over a high school in the city of Yukon.

Doorbell camera footage showed the Boeing 737 MAX-8 then hovering above houses, before it flies out of frame. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13553621/Oklahoma-Southwest-Boeing-737-500-ft-neighborhood.html

Mrs. CHIEF is having to fly, to California, for work about once or twice per month. She has pretty much always flown Southwest. I told her one of these times, when they experience a severe decent it ain't gonna stop at 400-500 feet, it will be a smoking hole. American it is, until SWA figures something out. These incidents are gonna wreak havoc on their earnings.

CHIEF

Put me in the category of hoping new management takes over and somehow shakes things up and turns it around.  I strongly prefer to fly out of Love but also pretty much done with SWA at this point due to all the things mentioned in this thread (completely inability to manage multi-day weather event until proven otherwise, ridiculous boarding and pre-boarding process and apparently now close calls on flights).

5 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Good Lord:

A Boeing 737 aircraft suddenly plummeted to less than 500 feet off the ground over Oklahoma, terrifying residents who feared the jet was going to crash.

Southwest Airlines Flight 4069 was nine miles away from Will Rogers World Airport just after midnight on Wednesday when records show the 737 dived to between 400 and 500 feet as it flew over a high school in the city of Yukon.

Doorbell camera footage showed the Boeing 737 MAX-8 then hovering above houses, before it flies out of frame. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13553621/Oklahoma-Southwest-Boeing-737-500-ft-neighborhood.html

so sucked toward Oklahoma?

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 6/15/2024 at 2:57 AM, RPM said:

14 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Good Lord:

I’ve got three Southwest flights in the next two months. 

image.gif.044ddb2b7b27d909fcdd1dc6bff0a403.gif

we're getting closer

A Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 from Portland, Maine to Baltimore reportedly took off from a runway that had been closed on Tuesday of this week – and there was a vehicle on the runway at the time.  The plane couldn’t be reached – they weren’t responsive on the common traffic advisory frequency – either tuned to the wrong frequency or with an inoperative radio.  From what I can figure from LiveATC, a Southwest flight departed PWM on a closed runway with an ops vehicle on it. This happened before the ATC tower opened for the day. Nobody at PWM could reach Southwest flight because they seemed to not be on the common radio frequency. https://t.co/KzQfxveluG

— Jason Rabinowitz (@AirlineFlyer) June 27, 2024

• Rage+1 1

i can't believe no comments on this one....  it really is the worst one yet...   comair 5191 holla

the last "crash" (many/all killed) in the US was colgan 3407 in 09....     we are getting very close to something happening.....

++++++++++++++

moar data:

The airport wasn’t closed. The tower wasn’t yet open.

The tower frequency (not yet in effect) and the CTAF frequency are the same, so either they had the wrong frequency or a comms issue, or it was early in the morning and it was too much hassle to make CTAF calls for them.

If tower is closed you can still take off, and if there’s no traffic, it’s usually faster. They should still have made calls for leaving the ramp, entering the runway, leaving the active (runway).

There is indeed a NOTAM:
PWM 06/168 PWM RWY 11/29 CLSD EXC XNG AND TAX THU FRI MON TUE WED 0230-0945 2406200230-2407310945

That’s KPWM (the airport) NOTAM# 06/143, At PNM runway 11/29 (same pavement, opposite directions) CLOSED except for crossing and taxi. Effective Thursday, Friday, Monday-Wednesday 0230z-0945z. Full date/time is 2024-06-20 0230z – 2024-07-31 0945z.

They were not up to date on the NOTAMs and are either used to using that runway or had preplanned it as it was closest to the ramp. Not being up to date on the NOTAMS is a violation of FARS §91.103 “…Preflight Action directs pilots to become familiar with all available information concerning a planned flight prior to departure, including NOTAMs.”

Closed runways are typically marked with big X’s at the ends, but as the runway was clear for taxi and crossing likely wasn’t marked at intermediate instersections. They could have entered at F, E, D, or C “as if to taxi to runway 18/36” without seeing the X at either end.

As for the ops vehicle, it being 5:43, and sunrise being 5:02, may have turned his lights/flashers off.

• Hook 'Em 1