Meanwhile in China

RPM

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

As soon as that invasion force sails I would tell China they have 10 minutes to turn around.  I have all my missiles pointed at the 3 Gorges Dam

Considering global outrage at thousands of Palestinian civilians being killed I would imagine the US killing ~10 Million Chinese civilians might be frowned upon. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Considering global outrage at thousands of Palestinian civilians being killed I would imagine the US killing ~10 Million Chinese civilians might be frowned upon. 

Except Palestinians don't make computer chips. But yeah.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I don't think he is talking about the US doing it, but Taiwan issuing the threat. I have no idea if Taiwan owns ballistic missiles with the range to get there. Someone else, here, may know.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, B00M said:

No one is actually laughing at it. Stopping a Chinese invasion will be extremely challenging and extremely costly to Taiwan and the United States. War games predict US subs rampaging but most also predict the US losing aircraft carrier(s). China is going to lob a metric fuck ton of missiles at Taiwan and US assets in the area. This is not something we want and there’s no guarantee we will actually prevail. The best thing we can do is continue to arm Taiwan to the fucking teeth, strengthen our alliances in the area (and their military might), and get the fuck out of the Middle East so we can concentrate more of our navy in the pacific to deter China from trying. 

The long term concern for me WRT a conflict with China is shipyard capacity. China’s ship building capacity is similar to our during world war 2. Ours can’t even maintain the fleet we have and surging money into it isn’t fixing it. 

I saw a short war game summary of a few scenarios and it also had China attacking Japan and Philippines as US and other based fighters were flying sorties out of there.  So Whole Regional war.  Fun for everyone and "victory" for Taiwan and US was still very costly for all.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

I saw a short war game summary of a few scenarios and it also had China attacking Japan and Philippines as US and other based fighters were flying sorties out of there.  So Whole Regional war.  Fun for everyone and "victory" for Taiwan and US was still very costly for all.

I participated in "the defense of Taiwan" war games 10 years ago.  I'm pretty sure a lot has changed since but it focused a lot on the fast response.  100 miles is a lot of ground to cover though.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Seems like they're going to face similar challenges going the other route. I'm not well versed in taking over a country so I'm genuinely trying to understand why they're potentially going with a strategy everyone seems to be laughing at. 

Trying to airlift even one hundred vehicles into a hostile island is insane and will result in probably all transport aircraft being shot down.  Those birds are massive to begin with.

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

I participated in "the defense of Taiwan" war games 10 years ago.  I'm pretty sure a lot has changed since but it focused a lot on the fast response.  100 miles is a lot of ground to cover though.

That’s what a lot of people don’t get - China’s navy (for all its size) and Air Force will be almost completely focused on that 100 miles, which means China’s navy will be vulnerable (being physically confined to the invasion routes), because if they can’t keep that 100 miles completely open, it’s useless.

On D-Day, we had almost 7,000 naval vessels of all shapes and sizes in the English Channel and out into the Atlantic supporting it, and over 11,000 aircraft available.  Even if you fast-forward the technology and can replace 50 1940s aircraft with one 2020s aircraft, there’s a reason why we had this massive number of resources devoted to a 24 mile stretch of water (that while rough, was not ocean rough) for a reason.

100 miles of open ocean in the age of missiles and drone warfare is insane.  I don’t think China’s navy can pull off keeping the sea lanes open.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

China has around 1.7M people in prison. I figure they give them all paintball guns and throw them at defenses first. 

There will be a measure or “quantity having a quality all of its own” here that will fall on side of Chinese. 

Also long game is to bribe/pay more and more politicians in Taiwan to be open to being annexed by China for personal gain. 

In 1995 I bough a shitty NIB Norinco SKS for like $135.  Bet fat little Winnie the Poo wishes he had it back.  lol fuck you.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, B00M said:

What are they gonna do, use paratroopers, helicopters and jets to try to take a key airport so they can fly in heavy equipment? I feel like we’ve seen this before…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Antonov_Airport

Makes me so patriotic, remembering our own efforts in the Revolutionary War.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2024 at 10:57 PM, wild_turkey said:

Possibly a stupid question, but I’m curious why TSMC would invest in fabs in Arizona, given that semiconductor fabs require lots of water? Are there not better geographic options?

Intel. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/corporate-responsibility/intel-in-arizona.html

Edited by TwiceHorn

I'm surprised that people haven't figured out why China has purchased so much land in North America - They are going to attack Taiwan from underneath. I don't see how America hasn't noticed. Probably because we've been looking up at their fucking balloons.

Indy100B_11zon-(1).thumb.webp.de2545ec9cdf2ed05959ef51a7576809.webp

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm surprised that people haven't figured out why China has purchased so much land in North America - They are going to attack Taiwan from underneath. I don't see how America hasn't noticed. Probably because we've been looking up at their fucking balloons.

Wait, is this the one with Jack Lemmon, Gordon Gekko and Hanoi Jane?

The Chinese are doing this shit right now because the country is weak and they know our two biggest assets.  The two seawolfs are tied to the pier right now.  It's now or never.  If the two seawolfs were out to prowl they would sink that entire fleet.

48 minutes ago, Bevo said:

tumblr_o9672vJ2l81ru8yv8o2_500.gif

39 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Guess I’d better be careful not to get labeled xenophobic or the “R” word.

Out.

Haha.  Im US born.  Work in tech.  Did 10 years in the navy.  Every time I tell someone I was in the Navy.  I get the reply oh yeah, what country?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

On 5/30/2024 at 10:05 AM, FartingMonk said:

Haha.  Im US born.  Work in tech.  Did 10 years in the navy.  Every time I tell someone I was in the Navy.  I get the reply oh yeah, what country?

Maybe the wonder if you were in the actual U.S. Navy or just the Navy guy in the Village People.

Taiwan has been independent for 75 years and prospered in spite of having to spend 2.5% of its GNP on defense. 
Xi and his thug gang elites want to grab that wealth for themselves. 
Look at how they’ve been screwing Hong Kong over since they reclaimed it from the UK in 1997. 
That “One country, two systems” policy is a lot of BS under Xi’s dictatorship.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Taiwan has been independent for 75 years and prospered in spite of having to spend 2.5% of its GNP on defense. 
Xi and his thug gang elites want to grab that wealth for themselves. 
Look at how they’ve been screwing Hong Kong over since they reclaimed it from the UK in 1997. 
That “One country, two systems” policy is a lot of BS under Xi’s dictatorship.

Chiang kai-Shek was to be kind a terrible leader of China before the civil war, but he did warn our diplomats about Mao and the Communists. Peanut saw the coming storm in China once the Pacific War ended. If you had told America in the 1930’s that China would be an adversary almost a century later they would’ve laughed as Americans were almost universally sympathetic to their fight with Japan in the 1930’s.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 5/30/2024 at 10:05 AM, FartingMonk said:

So you Chinese or Japanese? Maybe Laotian?

• Haha 2

On 6/2/2024 at 11:22 AM, Parliament said:

That's a good thing, right?  Less tech for Russia and Ukraine.

Eh, we restrict exports heavily, but still manage to send shit to our allies.

This will likely apply more to civilians than government/military.

6 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Haha. The "mountain's" response is worth including:

NEW: Chinese officials are forced to apologize after a hiker discovers a secret water pipe feeding China’s tallest waterfall

Millions of tourists visit the 1,024-foot-tall Yuntai Mountain Waterfall annually, attracted by its ancient geological formations over a billion years old

‘I didn't expect to meet everyone this way. As a seasonal scenery I can't guarantee that I will be in my most beautiful form everytime you come to see me,’ - social media post from officials for Yuntai Mountain Geopark

‘I made a small enhancement during the dry season only so I would look my best to meet my friends.’

Chinese social media users were still infuriated by the decision

‘It's not respecting the natural order, and not respecting the tourists’ one user said

‘How could it be called the No.1 waterfall anymore’ another user said

• Haha 3

Four US college instructors stabbed in public park in China

Four US university tutors are in hospital after they were stabbed by an unknown assailant at a public park in China.

The Iowa Cornell College instructors were injured in a "serious incident" during a daytime visit to the park in the northern province of Jilin, a college statement said.

Iowa Representative Adam Zabner said his brother, David, was one of the four instructors injured in the incident, which he described as a stabbing.

He said the group had been visiting a local temple on Monday when they were attacked by a man with a knife.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c844q27v732o

• Rage+1 2

• 3 weeks later...

A space rocket owned by a private Chinese company accidentally launched itself during a test on Sunday, before crash landing into a hillside.

Footage on social media shows the Tianlong-3 rocket falling back to Earth and exploding on the hill in central China’s Henan province.

The company responsible for the rocket, Tianbing Technology said in a statement that there was a "structural failure at the connection between the rocket body and the test bench", causing the rocket to take off.

The onboard computer automatically shut down, the statement said, and the rocket "fell into a deep mountain 1.5km southwest of the test bench".

It added that there were no casualties from the incident as people in the area had been evacuated.

The Tianlong-3 is Chinese designed and manufactured and was intended to be a reusable rocket.

Video in link

https://www.bbc.com/news/videos/c897xl1r7v9o

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 11/8/2023 at 1:03 PM, InkaUtexas said:

China recalling their best Ambassadors. The Pandas at the National Zoo. 

After more than two decades of "panda diplomacy," Washington's popular pandas were being returned to China Wednesday.

The Smithsonian National Zoo's three current pandas, Mei Xiang (May-SHONG), Tian Tian (tee-YEN tee-YEN) and Xiao Qi Ji (SHIAU-chi-ji), were loaded into special crates Wednesday morning for a 19-hour plane ride aboard the FedEx "Giant Panda Express" to Chengdu, China.

Reveal hidden contents

Mei Xiang and Tian Tian arrived in Washington in 2000 and their fourth cub, Xiao Qi Ji, was born in 2020. Xiao Qi Ji's siblings were sent to China when each of them was 2 or 3 years old, after their births created a national sensation.

The National Zoo has had giant pandas since 1972, when President Richard Nixon was gifted a pair, Hsing-Hsing and Ling-Ling, by Chinese Communist Party Chairman Mao Zedong in exchange for a pair of arctic musk oxen -- goodwill gestures as the countries opened diplomatic relations.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/national-zoos-popular-pandas-heading-china/story?id=104701720

On 7/1/2024 at 8:39 AM, InkaUtexas said:

A space rocket owned by a private Chinese company accidentally launched itself during a test on Sunday, before crash landing into a hillside.

Footage on social media shows the Tianlong-3 rocket falling back to Earth and exploding on the hill in central China’s Henan province.

The company responsible for the rocket, Tianbing Technology said in a statement that there was a "structural failure at the connection between the rocket body and the test bench", causing the rocket to take off.

The onboard computer automatically shut down, the statement said, and the rocket "fell into a deep mountain 1.5km southwest of the test bench".

It added that there were no casualties from the incident as people in the area had been evacuated.

The Tianlong-3 is Chinese designed and manufactured and was intended to be a reusable rocket.

Video in link

https://www.bbc.com/news/videos/c897xl1r7v9o

Jinx put Max in space.

On 5/29/2024 at 11:00 AM, BrazilHorn said:

IMG_2926.gif.957770f8db7e4ab5a8cf80eca6cc3789.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1