Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don’t want to hear shit about that call. Jennie B has been bitching like crazy to get calls. Shut the fuck up lady. 

I’ll say it - I’d rather deal with Mulkey than B and Gerlich. Really sick of these new female coaches in this league deciding to suck up the attention whore oxygen 

Impressed to see Jennie B have her 1st year blOU team in first place.  But yeah not a fan of her antics and Gerlich is much worse (see video below)

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Impressed to see Jennie B have her 1st year blOU team in first place.  But yeah not a fan of her antics and Gerlich is much worse (see video below)

Inheriting senior laden teams usually leads to good first year results. Her wide open offensive is great too, but being handed Williams and Robertson is a gift.  Not a lot of coaches walk into a team with the conference’s all time leading 3 point shooter

Edited by Js1

I still am perplexed with what to think about this team. Athletically we are still not where we need to be.  We definitely have talent but not at the level of most  top ten teams.  With the effort we gave the second half tonight, I thought this team performed above realistic expectations.  Great job team and yes Mr. Vic.

5 minutes ago, Goodman said:

She was lost for most of tonight. Started at 1st possession.

She sat on the bench for a while to watch the game. One reason I’m really harping on a transfer PG - Rori is good but she’s young.  Veteran leadership to steady the ship is important. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Agreed. The team struggled, I can't remember a game with Vic where we gave up as many uncontested baskets as we did in this 1st half. Great fans tonight, I can't wait until we're out of that awful "home" court.

This team is frustrating but I love the trajectory of the program with Vic. I'm also wondering how much loosing some trusted and longtime assistants has affected the development/attitude of some of our players. Warren had a night coming off the bench. Holly played big in the 2nd half. Ebo made most of her very important FT's. The 3 guards I thought would be ready for the moment, they're struggling and one is not earning PT. Very much looking forward to the next 4 weeks.

2 hours ago, Goodman said:

Agreed. The team struggled, I can't remember a game with Vic where we gave up as many uncontested baskets as we did in this 1st half. Great fans tonight, I can't wait until we're out of that awful "home" court.

This team is frustrating but I love the trajectory of the program with Vic. I'm also wondering how much loosing some trusted and longtime assistants has affected the development/attitude of some of our players. Warren had a night coming off the bench. Holly played big in the 2nd half. Ebo made most of her very important FT's. The 3 guards I thought would be ready for the moment, they're struggling and one is not earning PT. Very much looking forward to the next 4 weeks.

Great post @Goodman.

We had a number of conference games where we got severely smoked after made baskets. Like @Js1 says Vic needs to give up on the full court press
unless the pressure is leading to easy buckets off turnovers. Which generally isn't going to happen in B12 play.

I find all of my teams frustrating because I expect to score every time on offense and get a stop every time on defense which isn't exactly realistic.
I completely agree about loving the trajectory of the team under Vic. I wondered today if he wasn't my favorite UT coach of all time.

Good point about losing the assistants having an affect.

Warren, Holle, and Ebo all looked great and JAT may be our most consistent player.
Ebo was a beast under the basket.

Hunter never saw the floor and Moore had only two minutes. Harmon is still hitting @Js1's  freshman wall, but I'm confident she will
catch fire late this year or the next. The skills are there, she just needs to get some extended D1 burn. Freshman point guards.....  
I thought Lattimore had a loud 13 minutes, she shows flashes of mobility and ball skills that are great cause for excitement. Plus she's Jody's fav so that counts for something.

If you're an underclassman you can expect to play 30 minutes one game and zero the next.

46 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Vic is the right coach. I’m just impatient and want like year 4 under him to be right now.

True. He got spoiled last year with having a #1 pick down low who could do a lot of different things offensively and a 5th year PG in a very fun Elite 8 run, but even that team had some frustrating losses. I think this team has 2-3 FEWER losses if Lambert came back for her COVID year and Harmon had a year to watch and learn and back her up.  Vic just had to start a young PG a year early and we’ve seen the effects of that. Chevalier quitting midseason is why Rori seems tired.

Either way, we’ll see what Vic gets out of this squad the next few weeks and what he can get from the portal with JAT, Warren and maybe/likely Ebo moving on.  Team will look a lot different next year - 🤞🏻 Rickea wants to finish her career with Vic. 

Texas up to #9 in NET. Face #10 ISU on Wednesday. We should be back on the 3 seed line with last night’s win.  An ISU win would solidify it. I really wanted to go 3-0 or 2-1 against OU/ISU/KSU bc I think we can still finish 11-7 if we go 2-1 and 12-6 if we go 3-0

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 very quality wins on our resume: @Stanford, @ISU, OU, KSU, @Princeton, @aggy

Chance for 3 more - @KSU, @KU, ISU

We are 2-3 versus NET top 25, 4-4 versus top 30 and 6-4 versus the top 50. 5 of 6 losses to top 50 teams - KU, Baylor twice, OU, Tennessee. Only major blemish is the loss to #71 Tech. Ugh 

13 hours ago, Pancho said:

What happened?

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ou coach didn’t like a foul call, and as the ref ran the sideline to get onto position on the other end, she ran along next to him screaming in his ear. So he T’d her up. 

It was a foul on a Warren desperation 3. Jennie thought Audrey was OOB. She was not. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas up to #9 in NET. Face #10 ISU on Wednesday. We should be back on the 3 seed line with last night’s win.  An ISU win would solidify it. I really wanted to go 3-0 or 2-1 against OU/ISU/KSU bc I think we can still finish 11-7 if we go 2-1 and 12-6 if we go 3-0

Have to play the Joens girls this time, we got lucky in Ames. At least we will be playing in the Drum of Death not Hilton and our young team is more seasoned now. They average 79 ppg, Vic may role out his all D team like he said he did at Tech.

23 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Have to play the Joens girls this time, we got lucky in Ames. At least we will be playing in the Drum of Death not Hilton and our young team is more seasoned now. They average 79 ppg, Vic may role out his all D team like he said he did at Tech.

Of course, this team could win or lose - there's no rhyme or reason to them.  Oh the perils of a young(er) immature team. 

If I recall, we started that 3Q with Harmon, JAT, Holle, Warren and Ebo.   That was a very good lineup, surprisingly.  That lineup stayed on the flor for the first 9 minutes in the third quarter and the score went from 38-37 OU to 62-44 Texas when Rori was the first of those 5 to sub out with 1:02 left for Matharu. 

Ebo didn't play against ISU the first time (out for health and safety protocols).  Our inside players went 11-16 for 27 points in that game.  Our size inside was tough for ISU to handle. 

This team is who they are - inconsistent.  We could finish anywhere from 2-4 to 6-0 and I would not be surprised at all by any of the outcomes. 

I will say Vic's defense has been better - since the loss to KU on 1/12, we've gone 5-3 and given up: 57, 48, 47, 48, 65, 75, 63, 56, 63.   Those 3 losses really coincided with some miserable ball handling (24 turnovers and 11 points off of them in a 2 point game; 20 turnovers and 25 points off them in a 12 point game; 12 turnovers and 19 points off them in an 8 point game) 

JUST STOP TURNING IT OVER AND WE CAN BE VERY SUCCESSFUL. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Without checking g stats, a +10 turnover advantage makes this team tough to beat. If an opponent can keep the turnover battle fairly close either by not turning it over or by turning Texas over (ou first half, all of first tech game) that’s when the losses come. 

You're pretty much right.  Part of the problem in those 3 losses were also turning it over and not getting back on defense (both dead ball and live ball turnovers).

We pretty much stopped pressing in the 2nd half of the OU game and got 3 or 4 players back to avoid those long outlet passes for easy layups.  I give Vic credit for finally adjusting because the previous 18 quarters against Baylor and OU was just that happening over and over and over and over again.  

Edited by Js1

Hard to stress how fucking big this game is tonight.  As was Saturday night.

Unless KU or KSU moves back into the rankings, this is our last ranked team until the Big 12 tournament.  We'll go on a stretch of good, but not elite, teams after tonight:

@ WV, @ KSU, TCU, @ KU, OSU

This is the big shot to bump ourselves back into the 3 seed line with a win over top 10 ISU and run Vic's record against Fennelly at Texas to 5 consecutive wins. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Game 24: #14/14 Texas (17-6, 7-5 Big 12) vs Iowa State (21-3, 10-2 Big 12)

Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2022 – 7:00 p.m. Central
Frank Erwin Center (16,540) – Austin, Texas

• TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally on Longhorn Network. Tyler Denning (pxp) and Andrea Lloyd (analyst) will call the action.
• RADIO: 105.3 The Bat broadcasts every UT game on the statewide network. Craig Way (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action. Check TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.
• SERIES: Texas leads, 23-21. Last meeting: Texas 66-48 (Jan. 19 , 2022; Ames).

LEADING IN: The No. 14/14 Texas Women's Basketball team will have another tough test Wednesday evening as it plays host to first-place and No. 6/5-ranked Iowa State inside the Frank Erwin Center. The Longhorns are coming off an impressive 78-63 rivalry victory over Oklahoma this past Saturday and have won two-straight games heading into Wednesday's tilt. The Cyclones are coming off a 93-70 victory at TCU in their last contest and have won five-straight games.

THE SERIES: Texas and Iowa State will meet for the 45th time overall on Wednesday. The Longhorns own a slight 23-21 advantage over the Cyclones in the all-time series but have won four-straight and seven of their last 10 meetings. Texas took down ISU 66-48 in Ames in their first meeting of the season (Jan. 19).

OFFENSE CLICKS: Scoring points and finding consistent shooting has been an issue for the Longhorns throughout much of Big 12 Conference schedule, but they saw their offense break through for 78 points in Saturday's rout of the Sooners. UT's 78 points outburst was their highest offensive mark in conference play and the 47.5 percent (29-of-61) from the field was their second-best shooting performance in league action.

THE SCHAEFER FORMULA: Longhorn head coach Vic Schaefer makes no secret in the way his teams have found success over the years. Relentless full court defensive pressure, attention to detail, and limiting turnovers and mistakes have been built in to the identity of his programs. The 2021-22 Longhorns are no different ranking among the best in the country in several defensive categories.  UT currently ranks No. 1 in the Big 12 and No. 39 in the NCAA holding opponents to just 56.9 points per game. They also lead the league and rank No. 10 nationally in turnovers forced at 22.9 per contest and rank No. 6 in turnover margin at 6.96.

SCOUTING THE CYCLONES:  Iowa State is enjoying one if its best seasons in program history has establishing themselves as a legitimate Big 12 title contender as they sit atop the league standings heading into Wednesday's matchup.

The Cyclones possess a dangerous offense as they rank No. 2 in the Big 12 and No. 11 in the NCAA in scoring at 78.8 points per game. They lead the conference and rank No. 2 nationally in three-point shooting averaging 10.6 triples per contest and are No.3 in the country in three-point percentage (38.9).

ISU is led offensively by senior Ashley Joens who ranks No. 3 in the conference and No. 20 in the NCAA in scoring at 19.9 points per game. Joens also leads the team on the glass averaging 9.3 rebounds per game. Lexi Donarski (15.2) and Emily Ryan (12.2) are the other Cyclones averaging double figures offensively.

NEXT: Following Wednesday's matchup, Texas will hit the road on Feb. 20 as they head to Morgantown to take on West Virginia (11 a.m. CT, ESPN 2).  

schedule.jpg

roster.jpg