What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

6 hours ago, Deej said:

Police investigating fatal shooting at Northeast Austin Waffle House; shooter unknown

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/crime/2024/06/10/shooter-unknown-in-northeast-austin-waffle-house-shooting/74043686007/

The one on Dessau and Parmer? That place has strange and liminal vibes, even compared to other Waffle Houses. 

For all the shit we give her, she sometimes actually tries to do good shit.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/council-member-moves-to-ease-burden-of-homeless-camp-cleanups-on-private-property-owners/

Council member moves to ease burden of homeless camp cleanups on private property owners

“They said they were getting no help from the city, which would be accurate because it is the responsibility of a private property owner to clean when there is an encampment,” Kelly said. “I decided that I wanted to do everything I could to help them get that taken care of so I organized a group of volunteers and we went out there and cleaned almost 2.5 tons of trash.”

That’s why Kelly is working on a resolution that could provide resources for neighborhoods — or property owners — in the same situation. She’ll need other council members to get on board with the idea to get the resolution on a city council agenda.

“My hope is that I can get my colleagues on board with a resolution that would direct the city manager to provide additional resources for individuals who have this type of crisis where they are, because that’s what it is, it’s a crisis,” Kelly said.

There's a pretty big homeless camp in 2 vacant buildings right off Lamar directly across from the DPS station. It's immediately behind the P. Terry's. Last week driving by the buildings when I was leaving P. Terry's, I saw a homeless dude inside the fences between the 2 buildings swinging at the air with 2 big ass machetes. The place trashed on the outside. I hate to imagine what the inside of the 2 buildings looks like. I imagine it's some sort of Thunderdome. I imagine there are 10s to 100s of abandon buildings infested with homeless. I'd hate to see the cleaning bill if/when the city finally evicts the homeless from the buildings. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9ckLspun6oWSA7ks7

At least six people were transported to hospitals with "potentially serious" injuries, emergency response officials said, ABC News reported.

The Austin-Travis County EMS said four adults and two children were transported to local trauma facilities.

Banks said two groups began fighting with each other near the vendor area during the Round Rock Juneteenth Festival at Old Settler's Park when the shooting began. During the fight, at least one person pulled out a gun and opened fire.

A description of the suspect was not released by police, as Banks said there were multiple descriptions of the suspect and different accounts of what happened during the shooting.

Do you mean to tell me that proactive policing actually lowers the crime rates? 

The pilot program launched in October 2023. Security guards monitored the park from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.

“We saw all of that activity basically cease. All of the vandalism, camping in the park illegally overnight, all of that activity ceased immediately once we added overnight security in the park,” Brice said.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/overnight-patrols-now-operating-full-time-at-republic-square-park/

• Haha 3

I admitted it about 40 pages back.  Love it.  The change in infrastructure helps a ton.  Nowhere for them to poach on the majority of MoPac anymore and can't use the median of 360 anymore either.  

The only place they enforce speed is on the sections of mopac way north and way south where it is just easy to hide, pull over, turn around, and do it again.

Because APD does not enforce traffic violations for safety, just revenue.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

The only place they enforce speed is on the sections of mopac way north and way south where it is just easy to hide, pull over, turn around, and do it again.

That's true pretty much everywhere, it's not an APD thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

How do you really have the opportunity to speed in Austin, anyway?  I’m pretty excited if I can drive 55 in town.  

Catch the right time of day and you can do 75 from 183 to 5th street on MoPac. Granted, few and far between…

21 hours ago, Mittens said:

I admitted it about 40 pages back.  Love it.  The change in infrastructure helps a ton.  Nowhere for them to poach on the majority of MoPac anymore and can't use the median of 360 anymore either.  

21 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Almost every weekday there is a cop posted up between Braker and the Domain on Mopac, both directions.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

I’m always amazed how much worse traffic is on the weekends than week days.  Week days it’s really just the rush hours bringing people in.  Saturday and Sunday it’s all damn day.  If it weren’t for you knuckle dragging suburbanites, traffic in Austin would be just fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

I make it to work downtown in the mornings from north of Rundberg in 15-18 minutes most days and from work to home in 20-25 in the afternoons. Impossible to hit anywhere close to those times, particularly in the afternoon on MoPac. 

Posted (edited)

A 17-year-old was arrested in connection with the shooting that killed two women and injured 14 others at a Juneteenth festival on Saturday, the Round Rock Police Department announced Thursday.

Ricky Thompson III, of Manor, was arrested 7:30 a.m. at an undisclosed location in Pflugerville by the Lone Star Fugitive Task Force, Police Chief Allen Banks said at a press conference Thursday morning. Thompson faces one charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He was booked into the Williamson County Jail.

"We know Ricky Thompson was not the only shooter at this event. We are still looking for other suspects," Banks said. He clarified that Thompson was the man in the white hoodie, a description police had previously provided. He did not have physical descriptions for the other shooters.

Banks said there were "more charges to come" for both Thompson and other shooters. Thompson did not have a previous criminal history, he said.

image.png.fe842f3cc8df85efb8190234767ebd3e.png

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

I make it to work downtown in the mornings from north of Rundberg in 15-18 minutes most days and from work to home in 20-25 in the afternoons. Impossible to hit anywhere close to those times, particularly in the afternoon on MoPac. 

you work from 10:45 am - 2 pm?