What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

Sweet.

Plenty of unfinished business I'm sure. 

AUSTIN, Texas - A homeless man known for terrorizing a South Austin neighborhood is back on the streets.

Austin police said Rami Zawaideh escaped custody, and has a warrant out for his arrest.  Back in April, city officials confirmed Zawaideh was voluntarily committed to a hospital. 

Since 2022, residents have spotted him smashing city property with sledgehammers, toting around a chainsaw, cutting down trees, and screaming in the early morning hours.

Zawaideh has been arrested before and charged with criminal mischief. But, the district attorney dropped those charges.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/rami-zawaideh-escapes-custody-austin-texas

On 6/25/2024 at 11:18 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Just another poor harmless individual experiencing attackingness

image.thumb.png.2019918ca2abe2a2b463018a8aa5fe46.png

Think I saw him getting arrested last night over by Seaholm.  Hard to be sure given he looks like a lot of other dirty homeless types.  

On 6/26/2024 at 3:26 AM, Deej said:

So APD just gives him his chain back when they release him?

In October, 2015 my son and his two boys returned home in their St. Elmo neighborhood from shopping. 
older boy went out to the back yard, but ran into the house excitedly saying “there’s a gun out there”. 
Son called the cops and this one came to check it out, filled in a report, and took the loaded 9mm. 
Turns out, it was left there by an unstable homeless woman who had previously lived in the area and was known for breaking into other homes since then.
Apparently when son returned to his house, she was interrupted before she could get in their sliding door and dropped her gun & purse before running off.

The next day she knocked on son’s door and asked for her purse and gun that she had “accidentally” dropped in his back yard. 
Son read her the riot act, telling her how she had endangered his children while trespassing and was not welcome on his property. Then informed her the police had taken the purse & gun. 
A couple of days later he called the officer about the case and was told that the lady had come to the station. The cops gave her purse  and  the gun back.

294$$IMG_1324.jpeg

295$$IMG_1325.jpeg

• Rage+1 3

In October, 2015 my son and his two boys returned home in their St. Elmo neighborhood from shopping. 
older boy went out to the back yard, but ran into the house excitedly saying “there’s a gun out there”. 
Son called the cops and this one came to check it out, filled in a report, and took the loaded 9mm. 
Turns out, it was left there by an unstable homeless woman who had previously lived in the area and was known for breaking into other homes since then.
Apparently when son returned to his house, she was interrupted before she could get in their sliding door and dropped her gun & purse before running off.
The next day she knocked on son’s door and asked for her purse and gun that she had “accidentally” dropped in his back yard. 
Son read her the riot act, telling her how she had endangered his children while trespassing and was not welcome on his property. Then informed her the police had taken the purse & gun. 
A couple of days later he called the officer about the case and was told that the lady had come to the station. The cops gave her purse  and  the gun back.

294IMG_1324.jpeg.369225a8aa466de8fbe503ebbfb95e1c.jpeg
295IMG_1325.jpeg.65b990e47dd3c0afa61e10d6054f1c6e.jpeg

Lesson: if you find a gun, either keep it (in a great hiding place) or toss it in the lake. No half measures.

8 hours ago, Armybrat said:

294$$IMG_1324.jpeg

295$$IMG_1325.jpeg

It was nice of your son to leave out some lavender hand creme and a note for the crazy lady.  Glad nothing bad happened after that.  

I just shake my head in frustration, especially after working on housing bonds for the city for so many years and seeing how poorly the sausage was being made.  There's still two encampments between our home and my girls' elementary school.  I gotta coach them up on everything from active shooter drills, to how to non-offensively avoid people talking to themselves and slapping their own heads, to what to do if they see a knife or syringe or gun.  Never mind downtown.  Last year, we're at the new Waterloo Greenway installation and my oldest picks up this "silver ball" she thinks is jewelry in a bush.  Well, it's the device you use to mash up drugs with so you can snort/smoke 'em.  You want to instill compassion for other people into their hearts and minds.  But sometimes there's just some asshole leaving crushed up heroin or a 9mm, who needs help but you don't want to get your kids involved.  But I'm sure City of Austin will buy another hotel and assume everything is going to plan.  

18 hours ago, Armybrat said:

294$$IMG_1324.jpeg

295$$IMG_1325.jpeg

VengefulQuestionableInexpectatumpleco-size_restricted.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The fuck! CoA can go fuck itself if it wants to impose restrictions on my AC temp.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/south-central-austin/government/2024/07/05/austin-inches-closer-to-air-conditioning-mandates-for-residences/

A new city mandate for air conditioning in all residences is moving closer to final approval, and residents can weigh in on the change in July.

What's happening

The city is in the process of revising its technical codes, including its first proposed air conditioning mandate under the building code.

The update would require all residential property owners to keep rooms at least 15 degrees cooler than outdoor temperatures, and no hotter than 85 degrees Fahrenheit at most.

If implemented, the standards would apply for all existing properties and new construction in Austin.

Austinites can weigh in on the new building code items online until July 24. The revisions will also be discussed at the July 9 planning commission meeting before heading to City Council later this summer for final approval.

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The fuck! CoA can go fuck itself if it wants to impose restrictions on my AC temp.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/south-central-austin/government/2024/07/05/austin-inches-closer-to-air-conditioning-mandates-for-residences/

A new city mandate for air conditioning in all residences is moving closer to final approval, and residents can weigh in on the change in July.

What's happening

The city is in the process of revising its technical codes, including its first proposed air conditioning mandate under the building code.

The update would require all residential property owners to keep rooms at least 15 degrees cooler than outdoor temperatures, and no hotter than 85 degrees Fahrenheit at most.

If implemented, the standards would apply for all existing properties and new construction in Austin.

Austinites can weigh in on the new building code items online until July 24. The revisions will also be discussed at the July 9 planning commission meeting before heading to City Council later this summer for final approval.

The article isn’t super clear. This applies to landlords not owner occupied residences. It’s to make sure slumlords provide AC and keep it in good working order. 85 degrees still seems pretty damn hot to me, but if you own the house you live in, feel free to turn the AC off in July and the city won’t give a fuck.

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, royiv said:

The article isn’t super clear. This applies to landlords not owner occupied residences. It’s to make sure slumlords provide AC and keep it in good working order. 85 degrees still seems pretty damn hot to me, but if you own the house you live in, feel free to turn the AC off in July and the city won’t give a fuck.

That’s what I took from it 

• Hook 'Em 1

The way it's written, no person can maintain an HVAC system that can cool 15 degrees below ambient during the winter.  Nor will they want to.  There's no seasonal differentiation, nor a lower threshold for cooling.

Also, curious why they go after cooling, but avoid heating requirements given the last few years where we've had frigid cold spells that threaten lives.

When is it as low as 71 at night?  In January?  ;)

We're dealing with a two-fold quandary here.  The information was written by a Gen Z journalist, which means he was raised in the era of dubious educational theories about teaching literacy, resulting in a couple of generations of near-illiterate Americans, including those with a college education.  It's also modern journalism and, therefore, slapdash by default.   However, even if the article was fully researched, heavily vetted, and edited multiple times by someone taught how to read and write properly, he's still working from language drafted by our city employees and elected officials.   When has a local ordinance ever been drafted clearly?  

I agree with requiring landlords to air-condition properties, though. Hopefully, once the lawyers get this sorted out, it will be good for the city.

8 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Also, curious why they go after cooling, but avoid heating requirements given the last few years where we've had frigid cold spells that threaten lives.

Is it really "curious"?

Or is it an expected, knee-jerk, poorly written attempt of the council to try and make themselves look like they are doing something for the people?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Or is it an expected, knee-jerk, poorly written attempt of the council to try and make themselves look like they are doing something for the people?

You Got It Wink GIF by CBS

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

When is it as low as 71 at night?  In January?  ;)

We're dealing with a two-fold quandary here.  The information was written by a Gen Z journalist, which means he was raised in the era of dubious educational theories about teaching literacy, resulting in a couple of generations of near-illiterate Americans, including those with a college education.  It's also modern journalism and, therefore, slapdash by default.   However, even if the article was fully researched, heavily vetted, and edited multiple times by someone taught how to read and write properly, he's still working from language drafted by our city employees and elected officials.   When has a local ordinance ever been drafted clearly?  

I agree with requiring landlords to air-condition properties, though. Hopefully, once the lawyers get this sorted out, it will be good for the city.

This isn't the journalist's fault, it's clearly a poorly written city ordinance. 

image.png.529798a2fa6bd2470e8d63ce8b38cd87.png

per https://publicinput.com/Customer/File/Full/4dba3e64-60ca-49d2-b1d0-e907578f036b

On 6/20/2024 at 10:05 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

No fucking way. I live off Mopac and outside of rush hour, I rarely have issues. 35 is a permanent parking lot downtown and in Round Rock.

Correct.  75 is usually standard on Mopac. 

• 2 weeks later...

Let me guess, we're gonna hire another Czar to measure what the current Czar is doing to correct the original Czar's 10-point plan.  

Look on the bright side, it's been several months since we've had a machete attack (ducks) 

The Starlite Drive-In got their shit stolen 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/pretty-devastated-austins-blue-starlite-drive-in-robbed/

Austin drive-in movie theater chain Blue Starlite confirmed its newest location was robbed this week.

The theft happened at their location at 500 VFW Road, the business said in an Instagram post. Blue Starlite added all of their locations have now been robbed over the years — and this latest attack also targeted a fellow small, local business at the property.

Just last January, Blue Starlite’s owner Josh Frank told KXAN approximately 80% of the downtown location’s equipment was stolen as a result of a robbery in early 2023.

https://www.bluestarliteaustin.com

if you have a few bucks…

https://www.gofundme.com/f/keep-austin-funky-aid-blue-starlites-comeback-from-theft

• Rage+1 1

On 7/24/2024 at 4:18 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Of course we will. But we first have to engage two or three consulting firms to confirm that's the path to be taken. 

Dude....it's like you've never even heard of....A CHARRETTE!  WE LOVE CHARRETTES!  CHARRETTES FOR EVERYONE!

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They need to lock their shit up better. It seems to happen often. 

TLDR: Dude follows his stolen car to an apartment complex. People driving stolen car drove there to buy drugs. Car owner gets into fight with people driving stolen car. He stabs a dude, the other people run off. Car owner gets charged with murder.

From this short story, I'm siding with the car owner. Fuck thieves. Maybe if the police and the DAs office did their jobs, victims wouldn't have to confront thieves.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-man-charged-with-murder-after-confronting-alleged-car-thief/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A man faces a first-degree murder charge after Austin Police said an altercation over a possibly stolen vehicle led to a fatal stabbing.

Just before 10:30 a.m. July 24, Austin Police officers responded to a business in the 1900 block of East Oltorf Street after a 9-1-1 caller said she was “following a vehicle believed to be her stolen vehicle.” The caller followed the Kia to an apartment complex in the 2100 block of Burton Drive, where the caller then told police a man had been stabbed.

Police detained Alex Trevino Garcia, 34, who police documents say approached officers with his hands up while telling police: “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. He attacked me. He attacked me. He stole my car, and [h]e attacked me.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

TLDR: Dude follows his stolen car to an apartment complex. People driving stolen car drove there to buy drugs. Car owner gets into fight with people driving stolen car. He stabs a dude, the other people run off. Car owner gets charged with murder.

From this short story, I'm siding with the car owner. Fuck thieves. Maybe if the police and the DAs office did their jobs, victims wouldn't have to confront thieves.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-man-charged-with-murder-after-confronting-alleged-car-thief/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A man faces a first-degree murder charge after Austin Police said an altercation over a possibly stolen vehicle led to a fatal stabbing.

Just before 10:30 a.m. July 24, Austin Police officers responded to a business in the 1900 block of East Oltorf Street after a 9-1-1 caller said she was “following a vehicle believed to be her stolen vehicle.” The caller followed the Kia to an apartment complex in the 2100 block of Burton Drive, where the caller then told police a man had been stabbed.

Police detained Alex Trevino Garcia, 34, who police documents say approached officers with his hands up while telling police: “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. He attacked me. He attacked me. He stole my car, and [h]e attacked me.”

I hear you, I hear you but... dude... WTF.  That sounds like #badideajeans

Someone stole my car from our fraternity house in west campus.  Friends saw it and took off after the guys who were in another car.  That car stuck a 9mm outside of the sunroom and my friends wisely backed off.  I get it - it sucks.  Been there.  BUT don't be stupid.  I guess the guy can have his car back... when he gets out of prison.

Yeah, I gotta understand that charge.  Sure, going after your car, carrying a weapon to do so, all is stupid shit and a bad decision.  BUT...the castle doctrine in Texas allows you to use deadly force if it is immediately necessary to protect your property.  I don't necessarily think that's a great law, but it IS the law.

So, if I see my stolen car, try to get back into it, and the thief resists, I am pretty sure I can use deadly force to protect my property.

There's got to be something more to this story.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I gotta understand that charge.  Sure, going after your car, carrying a weapon to do so, all is stupid shit and a bad decision.  BUT...the castle doctrine in Texas allows you to use deadly force if it is immediately necessary to protect your property.  I don't necessarily think that's a great law, but it IS the law.

So, if I see my stolen car, try to get back into it, and the thief resists, I am pretty sure I can use deadly force to protect my property.

There's got to be something more to this story.

Was it immediately necessary? It was stolen days before and he's out looking for it. 

I don't think he should be charged with a thing, but it wasn't like he was trying to stop the theft in progress. 

He should claim he's homeless and swing a chain around. Our DA would bend over backwards for him. 

• Haha 1

Was it immediately necessary? It was stolen days before and he's out looking for it. 
I don't think he should be charged with a thing, but it wasn't like he was trying to stop the theft in progress. 
He should claim he's homeless and swing a chain around. Our DA would bend over backwards for him. 

That may be the question. But then, if you spot your stolen property and try to re-exercise control over it, isn’t that behavior consistent with ownership? And thus, if there’s resistance, force might be immediately necessary?

6 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

No way he is convicted with that fact pattern.  I doubt it even goes to trial, even in Travis County. 

The car owner should start acting crazy like a homeless dude. They'll drop the charges and send him back on the streets in no time.

5 hours ago, Deej said:

Probably going to say at that point he should have called the cops and not take it into his own hands. You know, because APD will get right on that. 

"Yes, I'm calling 911 because my car was stolen and I followed it to a drug house and here's the address"

"Yes sir, we understand, but you need to give us a few hours to get a car over there"

"Well, my car was stolen by dogs"

"Dogs, sir?"

"Yes, you know, the furry things on four legs that people keep as pets."

"We have multiple units en route and they should be there within 5 minutes"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

car lost power and died while cruising north on I-35 through downtown yesterday evening. coasted down the 6th street exit ramp into the chevron there at 6th street and I-35 next to the wendy's. had 2 dogs with us so we couldn't sit in the car because it was hot as hell. as soon as we got out of the car to call the tow truck it was like a scene from night of the living dead with all the homeless zombie people stumbling towards us muttering incoherently. having two 75 lb dogs with us helped, they were definitely wary of the dogs. walked down to the whole foods market at 5th and brushy to wait for the tow truck. was one of the more concerning situations i've experienced in austin in a while. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, stc said:

car lost power and died while cruising north on I-35 through downtown yesterday evening. coasted down the 6th street exit ramp into the chevron there at 6th street and I-35 next to the wendy's. had 2 dogs with us so we couldn't sit in the car because it was hot as hell. as soon as we got out of the car to call the tow truck it was like a scene from night of the living dead with all the homeless zombie people stumbling towards us muttering incoherently. having two 75 lb dogs with us helped, they were definitely wary of the dogs. walked down to the whole foods market at 5th and brushy to wait for the tow truck. was one of the more concerning situations i've experienced in austin in a while. 

I did this!

th?id=OIP.wzON3Cn1FYFrCbbu_uPDFAAAAA%26p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, stc said:

ap0Vgb.gif.4f2776d7f96a7d19c039cb67c5b83c6e.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

It ebbs and flows, but in my 30 years in Austin, this is about normal. Worked downtown and then South Congress for about 10 years.

On 6/25/2024 at 9:12 AM, crash_davis said:

Fun read about a homeless dude terrorizing people downtown. I'm sure he's back out on the street continuing his bullshit. 

Like clockwork.

He's back on the streets terrorizing people. Fuck these pos homeless mf'ers. Fuck the DA. Fuck the state for not having enough beds for crazy people. Fuck the legal system which allows pieces of shits like this fucker to continue to terrorize people. Some dude should shoot the fucker.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hao Li fuck. This dude deserves a medal.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/dumpling-restaurant-north-lamar-homicide/269-049be7cf-e107-408e-8070-c13ebf96df01

The caller, identified as 51-year-old Hao Li, said someone had tried to rob him with a knife and he had shot the suspect. He said the suspect, later identified as 57-year-old Chup Prum, then fled the area.

Investigators say Hao had exited the restaurant when he saw Prum on a bicycle. Prum then pulled out a knife and approached Hao. Hao then pulled out a gun and shot Prum.

Prum rode off on his bicycle and returned home but was later transported to a hospital, APD said. He died from his gunshot wound on July 28.

Police have not filed charges in the case, which was staffed with the Travis County District Attorney’s Office on Monday, Aug. 5.

• Hook 'Em 3