What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

There was a shitload of homeland security with a drone but no dogs at Brushy Creek looking for a 14yr old asian/Indian boy wearing a light blue shirt. Don't know the story behind it but one of the officers asked us to call 911 if we saw him.

He broke into Armybrat’s house and turned his camera right side up.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Is there a thread already about this?

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/mlb/2024/09/20/mlb-expansion-austin-baseball-commission/75311476007/

Whatever the plan is, I guarantee it's not good.

It will never happen. Arlington approved >$300m & >$400m in bonds to help build Cowboy & Globe Life stadium respectively  (each stadium cost ~$1.1b). I seriously doubt this city will ever vote to approve a nearly hall billion dollar bond for a professional sports team’s stadium, a requirement any expansion team ownership is going to have. It is why Austin FC was funded privately and probably why the Spurs haven’t already made a serous attempt to move here.

Statistically Austin is the perfect place for a professional sports team but the city’s lack of an appetite to bankroll a billionaire’s private company already has, and will continue to, prevent any team from moving here.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, smokebomb said:

It will never happen. Arlington approved >$300m & >$400m in bonds to help build Cowboy & Globe Life stadium respectively  (each stadium cost ~$1.1b). I seriously doubt this city will ever vote to approve a nearly hall billion dollar bond for a professional sports team’s stadium, a requirement any expansion team ownership is going to have. It is why Austin FC was funded privately and probably why the Spurs haven’t already made a serous attempt to move here.

Statistically Austin is the perfect place for a professional sports team but the city’s lack of an appetite to bankroll a billionaire’s private company already has, and will continue to, prevent any team from moving here.

Every now and then the crazy voters here get it right.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, smokebomb said:

Make it a combo stadium/homeless shelter/light rail station and they can hoodwink every voter

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I look forward to the higher rates, or most likely just the continued made up usage numbers, to cover what is almost certainly a negligence-related incident.   I know that some here believe that city employees are warm hearted geniuses and we should all just get out of their way so they can make Austin a modern marvel, but at the moment I'm just hoping they can keep pumping water to my house.

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Make it a combo stadium/homeless shelter/light rail station and they can hoodwink every voter

You should run for office.

16 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I look forward to the higher rates, or most likely just the continued made up usage numbers, to cover what is almost certainly a negligence-related incident.   

There is a ton of road construction going on near there, I assume some dipshit just rammed a back hoe shovel straight into the water main.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, that wasn't a tough call.

And it's why contractors like this one carry insurance.  Unless the city utterly failed to mark a giant-ass main (they didn't -- this project has been ongoing for sometime, and was visibly marked as you drive by), claim will be submitted and paid.

On 9/22/2024 at 1:44 PM, BrazilHorn said:

The challenge is there is nowhere in Austin to put a stadium. So unless you drop it out by COTA there isn’t a place to set it up. 

Also you have Rangers and Astros not that far away. Just don’t see any demand for this here and no place to put a stadium that is remotely cool anyway. 

I love the idea of baseball in central Texas... aka San Antonio.  No interest in it here and I don't want to pay for some a-hole's stadium.  Longhorn games and my Astros are just fine.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I love the idea of baseball in central Texas... aka San Antonio.  No interest in it here and I don't want to pay for some a-hole's stadium.  Longhorn games and my Astros are just fine.  

Austin doesnt have enough roads, energy, water, or housing. We have too many tourists who drive the cost of living up. We have too many homeless who keep things weird. We already drink shit tons of alcohol.

We need to subsidize professional sports like we need a hole in the head.
  • Hook 'Em 5

People always talk about a stadium being put halfway between Austin & San Antonio.  That's a recipe for having 4 figure attendances.  I don't even want to drive to Slaughter Lane from central Austin. No fucking way I'm driving I-35 to a baseball game in San Marcos on a Tuesday night.

To be fair, I wouldn't go to a baseball game across the street from my house but I'm sure the sentiment holds for most people.  

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 4

Jfc…….

(from today’s AAS)

Austin American-Statesman USA TODAY NETWORK

U.S. Rep. Greg Casar, a freshman House member from Austin, is running for chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus and, although there is no announced opposition to his candidacy, he plans to meet oneon- one with the individual members ahead of the vote set to take place after the Nov. 5 election.