Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Laughing at Arky leaving the SWC and becoming irrelevant for an entire generation.

edit: Wait, tech never won the SWC *ever*?? LMFAO what a bitch, no wonder slorch is gone.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed

Posted (edited)

ISU won the Big 12 round robin outright in 2020.  We just don’t get any recognition for it (much like TCU in 2022).

The CCG for the 10 team Big 12 was an arbitrary cash grab, and it’s absolute horse shit that they never recognized regular season champs (like in hoops).

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 7

6 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I had a very realistic dream last night that aggy and the Texas Big12 schools lobbied the  state leg to put “salary caps” on player comp because if they can’t compete they wanted to make sure we couldn’t either.  Was hard to believe that it didn’t happen for the first 30 minutes I was awake. 

No way any sort of salary cap could get implemented without aggy losing a whole lot of ability to pay recruits. Take away the money and they are left trying to get recruits to College Station, sharing a campus with a fake army, a graveyard for dogs, and a bunch of assholes yelling at them to get off the grass.

8 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

No way any sort of salary cap could get implemented without aggy losing a whole lot of ability to pay recruits. Take away the money and they are left trying to get recruits to College Station, sharing a campus with a fake army, a graveyard for dogs, and a bunch of assholes yelling at them to get off the grass.

Rules have never stopped aggy from fucking up

1 hour ago, Josef Pwag said:

Tx Tech and ISU, damn......

Sad Paul Rudd GIF by First We Feast

aggy - 1998 🤣  🤣   🤣   🤣   🤣   🤣 

38 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Laughing at Arky leaving the SWC and becoming irrelevant for an entire generation.

edit: Wait, tech never won the SWC *ever*?? LMFAO what a bitch, no wonder slorch is gone.

Tech won a co-championship in 1994 with like 17 other teams.  aggy wasn't eligible because they were on probation. (Show me your shocked face)

No, they never won an outright conference championship.

7 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I had a very realistic dream last night that aggy and the Texas Big12 schools lobbied the  state leg to put “salary caps” on player comp because if they can’t compete they wanted to make sure we couldn’t either.  Was hard to believe that it didn’t happen for the first 30 minutes I was awake. 

If collective bargaining happens, caps isn't likely far behind.

27 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

aggy - 1998 🤣  🤣   🤣   🤣   🤣   🤣 

Tech won a co-championship in 1994 with like 17 other teams.  aggy wasn't eligible because they were on probation. (Show me your shocked face)

No, they never won an outright conference championship.

Tech shares its last conference title with Rice

Fucking. Rice.

12 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The whole damn SEC has wet dreams about "salary caps" so that Texas will be at a recruiting disadvantage again by Texas following the rules while the rest of the SEC schools re-deploy their Bagmen that they were using the entire time before NIL/collectives started up.

Article from a decade ago: "Meet the bag man: 10 rules for paying college football players - How to buy college football players, in the words of men who deliver the money."
https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

ISU won the Big 12 round robin outright in 2020.  We just don’t get any recognition for it (much like TCU in 2022).

The CCG for the 10 team Big 12 was an arbitrary cash grab, and it’s absolute horse shit that they never recognized regular season champs (like in hoops).

Especially since baseball without a round robin still awards a regular season title.

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

LOL tell me about it.

We would have two more Big 12 title without the stupid pointless championship game.

On 5/29/2024 at 1:19 AM, 'stache said:

Especially since baseball without a round robin still awards a regular season title.

This is nitpicking but I hate the fact that amongst the conference flags that are flown at the Big12 baseball tournament, there waves the ISU flag. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CustersDoctor said:

This is nitpicking but I hate the fact that amongst the conference flags that are flown at the Big12 baseball tournament, there waves the ISU flag. 

I think they should have to keep flying the Texas logo at all B12 events after we're gone until someone accumulates as many conference trophies as we have.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, closetohumping said:

image.thumb.png.d91edf09f3030e491e03742f66f05234.png

The legacy Big 12 teams are playing zero, ZERO, FBS teams. And they’ll be whining the loudest at the end of the year if one of them is like 10-2 and doesn’t get into the playoff. 7 original Big 12 teams playing the likes of UT Martin, fucking Abilene Christian and Lindenwood. 

Credit to WVU and TCU for working in compelling matchups and to UH and the Arizona schools for at least trying. Both Utah schools scheduled trash as well as the originals. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The legacy Big 12 teams are playing zero, ZERO, FBS teams. And they’ll be whining the loudest at the end of the year if one of them is like 10-2 and doesn’t get into the playoff. 7 original Big 12 teams playing the likes of UT Martin, fucking Abilene Christian and Lindenwood. 

Credit to WVU and TCU for working in compelling matchups and to UH and the Arizona schools for at least trying. Both Utah schools scheduled trash as well as the originals. 

Just about everyone schedules an FCS school every year, regardless of conference. The only programs that don't have enough money buy out of road games to crappy FBS schools.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Um, that's just week 1. 

Week 2:

Arky @ OSU (on ABC)

KSU @ Tulane (coming off two of their best seasons ever)

ISU @ Iowa (annual game, on CBS)

KU @ Illinois

Tech @ Wash St. (still technically P-5, but definitely FBS)

Week 3:

UNLV @ KU 

Air Force @ Baylor (usually pretty good MWC team)

Also, maybe hold the brakes on praising WVU and TCU for "trying" in this context. WVU plays Albany and TCU plays Long Island in Week 2. I didn't even know those schools existed much less had FCS programs. The lowest level team OSU plays is back to back FCS champs SDSU.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Um, that's just week 1. 

Week 2:

Arky @ OSU (on ABC)

KU @ Illinois

Week 3:

UNLV @ KU 

Also, maybe hold the brakes on praising WVU and TCU for "trying" in this context. WVU plays Albany and TCU plays Long Island in Week 2. I didn't even know those schools existed much less had FCS programs. The lowest level team OSU plays is back to back FCS champs SDSU.

Utah vs Baylor is also P5 non-con (scheduled before the Big XII realignment and still counts as non-con this year). 

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Long Island is not respectable at all at the FCS level. They transitioned from DII to FCS during COVID. TCU should feel ashamed.

Albany is at least a semi respectable FCS school in DI/FCS for 20+ years. West Virginia is also somewhat regional so they get more slack on that one than TCU.

4 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Just about everyone schedules an FCS school every year, regardless of conference. The only programs that don't have enough money buy out of road games to crappy FBS schools.

“Just about everyone” doing it doesn’t make it right. In the 90’s, Bill Snyder scheduled FCS programs regularly and was publicly mocked for doing it by the media covering the sport. It becoming the norm is one of the worst changes in the sport over the last 10+ years. 

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Um, that's just week 1. 

Week 2:

Arky @ OSU (on ABC)

KU @ Illinois

Week 3:

UNLV @ KU 

I was just ridiculing the first weekend slate. I know all of the schools in the new Big 12 do it. I don’t think it will benefit them with the expanded playoff, but we’ve already discussed that previously on this thread. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

“Just about everyone” doing it doesn’t make it right. In the 90’s, Bill Snyder scheduled FCS programs regularly and was publicly mocked for doing it by the media covering the sport. It becoming the norm is one of the worst changes in the sport over the last 10+ years. 

The playoff selection committee shouldn't count wins against FCS programs. 11-1  and three wins against FCS schools should be looked at as 8-1 and put you behind any 8 win or more team who didn't play any. Shit would stop. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was just ridiculing the first weekend slate. I know all of the schools in the new Big 12 do it. I don’t think it will benefit them with the expanded playoff, but we’ve already discussed that previously on this thread. 

Is it less worthy of ridicule if done in November like in the SEC? Also, OU plays the Maine Black Bears next year, an FCS team with a stadium that holds 8,000. It seems you personally don't like these games, coming from a school that doesn't schedule FCS opponents (which is fine), but everyone else in the SEC does it already and will continue to do so, especially since it refuses to do away with an 8 game conference schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

to be fair, there is a legitimately good chance multiple big 12 teams have losses to those FCS schools. Can't have them scheduling above their weight.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Is it less worthy of ridicule if done in November like in the SEC? Also, OU plays the Maine Black Bears next year, an FCS team with a stadium that holds 8,000. It seems you personally don't like these games, coming from a school that doesn't schedule FCS opponents (which is fine), but everyone else in the SEC does it already and will continue to do so, especially since it refuses to do away with an 8 game conference schedule. 

Fuck OU, but they had to add that game late due to the conference move. Now in fairness, Texas found a way to add FBS teams but I can get that the timeline made it difficult.

https://fbschedules.com/oklahoma-adds-maine-to-2024-football-schedule/

“We’re excited to add Houston and Maine to our 2024 schedule,” said Oklahoma Vice President and Director of Athletics Joe Castiglione. “We always strive to schedule non-conference opponents in a manner that positions us for success and creates a fun environment for fans. It was always going to be a challenge to find two programs at this late stage that had open dates, but we’re happy with the result of that process and are thrilled to give our fans seven home games in 2024. A big thank-you to Houston athletics director Chris Pezman and Maine AD Jude Killy for their cooperation, and, in Maine’s case, its willingness to be flexible on a game date.”

Now that doesn’t excuse the other SEC mouth breathers from their late season FCS cupcakes. I wish they’d forbid that practice but I’d rather they keep it around if that means we can get a 9 game conference slate in 2026.

Edited by TKthunder2

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This is a university of Texas website, not University of SEC website, and definitely not a University of Big 12 website. HTH. I don't give a fucking shit what any other SEC team does besides Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Um, that's just week 1. 

Week 2:

Arky @ OSU (on ABC)

KU @ Illinois

Week 3:

UNLV @ KU 

That UNLV vs KU game might be interesting if Brennan Marion gets that go-go clicking. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

If you think I, or anyone else here from the UT side of fandom, will defend this kind of shit due to some notion of conference or rival allegiance, you’ve been huffing paint. Fuck all of this weak scheduling. 

I’m hoping a side effect of the expanded playoff becomes more arduous scheduling among the P4. I am not excited about seeing the rush to schedule LaMonroe because SEC pussies can’t bring themselves to play 9 games. Give me 9 conference games, one difficult non-con and a couple of P5 mediocrities all day. 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

That UNLV vs KU game might be interesting if Brennan Marion gets that go-go clicking. 

Good point. These could both be good teams this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

If you think I, or anyone else here from the UT side of fandom, will defend this kind of shit due to some notion of conference or rival allegiance, you’ve been huffing paint. Fuck all of this weak scheduling. 

I’m hoping a side effect of the expanded playoff becomes more arduous scheduling among the P4. I am not excited about seeing the rush to schedule LaMonroe because SEC pussies can’t bring themselves to play 9 games. Give me 9 conference games, one difficult non-con and a couple of P5 mediocrities all day. 

Good point. These could both be good teams this year. 

I think it'd be great if every power 4 team was require to play at least one other non-conference power 4 team every year. If bowl season is going to dwindle away, give us those matchups back in the regular season.

6 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

It was the Lindenwood College for Women until 1969. Which may seem like a long time ago, but it's three decades after Aggy won its title. 

I think we've found Umlang. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I think if there were a requirement for all series scheduled to be home and homes or neutral site games, everyone would stop scheduling the FCS schools and we would see better matchups. We are getting what we get because everyone wants to have 7 or 8 home games every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I think if there were a requirement for all series scheduled to be home and homes or neutral site games, everyone would stop scheduling the FCS schools and we would see better matchups. We are getting what we get because everyone wants to have 7 or 8 home games every year.

I thought about that a while ago and while I know this won’t happen, I think a good system would be the require home and homes or 2 for 1s other than straight money for one time cupcake games (with an exception for neutral site games). Nobody in their right mind would schedule a 2 for 1 with fucking Long Island…

• Hook 'Em 1